Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I went straight for the Cleveland as my first aim in this game and I like it a lot, but i decided to try out DDs while waiting for a battle to end and my god it was a lot of fun to use the Umikaze. My very first game I managed to get 10 torps hits with 3 destroyed cruisers.

Are US or Japanese DDs generally better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I am so glad I got past the kawachi/myogo because those two are some terrible, terrible BBs. Although my best time in the latter was when I had two turrets destroyed and still managed to destroy a Kongo by ramming!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I didn't find the Myogi so bad once I started running into range, then turning around and just running away for the rest of the game while the enemy usually chased me. :v:
I don't know if it was just me, but the Myogi seemed to be a magnet for destroyed main turrets. The turrets seemed to get destroyed extremely easily and once you are down even one turret, your spread is pretty thin and due to the inaccuracy of the guns (especially at the maximum range), I found that I continually straddled the target even if my shots were judged correctly. It's good that it doesn't take too long to get into the Kongo though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I had no idea that ALT existed until it was mentioned here.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think after playing many, many games with the Cleveland, I finally got a handle on the ship and it is definitely my favourite ship in the game so far. I think the upgrade that gives you a better RoF is necessary, the turning rate on the guns isn't too bad and you can improve it with your captain/upgrades anyway. The thing will absolutely smash cruisers, destroyers and even battleships if they are otherwise preoccupied and you can pump 6 second volleys. I'm pretty bad at aiming but with the Cleveland I don't even really need to aim. I love it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PirateBob posted:

There is no upgrade that increases RoF. The one you're thinking of actually decreases RoF, while giving higher turret rotation speed. The upgrade that increases main battery accuracy is a no-brainer in that slot on most/all ships.
Ummm there is. The upgrade for the guns gives 7.5 rounds per minutes with 32.7 sec turning time, as opposed to 6 rounds per minute with 22.5 sec turning time for vanilla guns.

Edit: sorry I meant the module, not upgrade. My mistake for making it unclear.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tanadon posted:

That excitement when compared to hitting a vessel with a full salvo of torpedoes at 7km is a little lackluster.

I'm currently stuck on the grind between the Independence and Saipan and I've yet to work out the purpose of the dive bombers. It seems to me that torpedo bombers are better in almost all respects?
Dive bombers are really useful at either missing completely the BB you are aiming for or doing less than 400 damage if they do hit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

I think the "idea" behind dive bombers is to have a faster and tougher bomber squadron that can counter cruisers and possibly destroyers with their greater accuracy.

In practice they can barely land hits on a target the size of a BB, and because they are supposed to be able to hit lighter targets they aren't allowed to do much damage either. Considering the time it takes for these guys to get around they should at least be able to land a decent "cruiser salvo++" worth of damage once they do arrive - but maybe short of outright sinking a full health destroyer unless they get some criticals/citadel hits?

I remember them being quite terrifying in Navyfield for unarmored targets...
Yeah I remember in navyfields them being extremely accurate and damaging. Was looking forward to using them here until I was in the receiving end of them in a BB.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Man, nothing feels as good as destroying a DD in a single salvo in a Cleveland. I'm probably gonna give the Japanese Cruiser line a try since I like the american cruiser line so much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

PadreScout posted:

I got my Omaha tonight!

It is indeed very fight.

This thing is basically the "typical" American cruiser through the rest of the tree, right?
Not really, it doesn't really fulfill the 'role' of a cruiser (ie providing AA fire as well as being able to wreck cruisers/destroyers). I see the 'typical' american cruiser as the Cleveland because it fulfills the roles above as well as being similar to the cruisers at tiers above it. The Omaha to me seemed to be more of a large destroyer than a cruiser.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I thought the Baltimore was alright?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Locator posted:

I just got the Aoba and played one game in it before bed. I got straight up murdered in two salvo's from (I think) a Pensacola while only getting about 4 salvo's out, and ended up at the very bottom of the team for xp. I was less than pleased. Hopefully I can do better in it next time, because I'm really used to being at the top of the team xp list in my Pensacola (or Cleveland). It was on that stupid ice map though, I really don't care for that map.

I prioritize DD's as targets anytime that they are within 10km or so, because I hate torpedoes and if you let one of them get to point blank by tunnel-visioning on something else, they will straight up murder you and there's nothing that can be done about it when they drop a spread too close to dodge in any way.

It's also pretty funny when the chat explodes after you alpha a DD off the map in a single salvo (from a cruiser or BB).
So many DDs one-salvoed with the Cleveland, so many idiots that decide to run straight towards you for some unknown reason.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The reason most companies don't include any nazi symbology in their game is that it is illegal in Germany and they don't want to create a separate edition/different printing etc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gonna give it a try now with 3.1, interested to see the changes. So loading HE is the answer on the Cleveland, right?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yes, the Cleveland's weak guns have stopped doing anything with AP. You can only go through cruiser armour at a dead 90 degree split.
Guess it makes more sense than the incredible amount of citadels you could hit previously with the ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I enjoyed the Kuma more than the Furutaka. The latter doesn't really give much room for making mistakes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

El Disco posted:

At the moment it's just a bad ship that you have to suffer through to get to the rather nice Aoba. It's like WG were afraid that 8" guns on a tier V cruiser would be a bit overpowered, so they preemptively nerfed it. :sigh:
The Kuma is a much better ship than even the Furutaka. About the only thing that the Furutaka has going for it is a fast rudder and good turning radius, but you can't even use it because its guns track slower than you can turn.

Although in my last game I played, I managed to destroy three BSes by using its torps :getin:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Managed to get a pretty good game on my Aoba: it's so much better than the Furutaki. I got to a point in the game where I was heading for an enemy aircraft carrier (I think it was Tier IV or V) and he sent a whole bunch of dive bombers against me: I hit my Y and most of them missed. Then I got a squadron of torpedo bomber going for me, and I just kept heading for them, denying them the shot. My AA was able to shoot down most of them and by the end, only a single torpedo bomber actually fired a torpedo, which I dodged easily: HE took care of the CV after that.

I then faced a full health Fuso by myself and managed to get two torp hits on him, reducing him to about 1/3 health, although I died shortly after. He was finished easily by our two remaining Fusos and CV after that. I think I made around 4.5k XP after premium bonus + 1.5x first win multiplier.

I would have probably struggled to replicate the above on the Furutaka. I'm glad I'm out of that POS. How's the Myoko btw?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tell him to take the upgrade on the guns that increases ROF at the cost of tracking speed, it is really worth it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've only just got into carriers and I've been doing alright with auto-drop, but that's because I'm using japanese carriers.

Is there any real reason to ever use fighters on japanese carriers? They seem really underwhelming (I'm currently on the tier VI japanese carrier). I almost always prefer getting an extra squadron of torpedo bombers over getting some fighters that will likely get destroyed by the larger groups that american carriers have. The best match I ever had was when i got paired with a independence that had focused on fighters and he cleared the skies of enemy planes while I just launched torpedoes left and right. I got like 23 torp hits in that game with 3 ships destroyed. I really need to find someone that runs american carriers so that I can division with him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SERPUS posted:

In this day and age, doesn't open beta just mean "release"
It means release but with sycophants having an easy excuse if you tell them the game sucks

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When the wipe comes, I'm probably just gonna aim straight for the Cleveland/Mogami and just play those ships, and do the slow climb to the De Moines.

The only thing I'm dreading is doing the loving Furutaki again, that poo poo is gonna be extremely tedious.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

Pepsicola is good though? :confused:
Oh yeah, I like it, but I personally prefer the Cleveland. I didn't mean to make it sound like the Peniscola was gonna be a pain to climb through.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I nearly didn't meet a deadline for my dissertation thanks to CCP, so that's nothing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FOG_Rommel_is_a_war_criminal

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I spend most of my gold on free xp. Is there way to convert without it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So yeah, spend gold to convert xp then.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ratzap posted:

Should be yes but I played 8 games late last night and lost every one of them. No-one would sail together, my teams just drove one after the other into the waiting packs of opposition. Related question: anyone on the EU server playing WoWS?
I'm currently playing in the EU server.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ratzap posted:

I'm Ratzap in the game, what's your nick? I'm not in at the moment but should get on later.
I'm Tekopo on it. Currently I only have tier IV/V cruisers though (japanese and american)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So in my last match I got my engine knocked out without a repair as a Umikaze and I thought I was done for. I saw this torpedo come in and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. Torpedo stops literally 50 meters away from my ship :stare:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Firing AP at japanese cruisers with the St Louis is like cracking a pinata open again and again.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Is there a channel where EU goons hang out? Also, anyone on EU wanna division up?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLKR9tCiwvA

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really like the Cleveland and it is my current grinding target. The guns are pretty good as long as you mostly fire HE (you can still pen some cruisers though) and with the fire increase captain skill you can be a pretty nasty ship. It is also the first cruiser in the US line with pretty decent AA and the AA consumable. Ideally I want to end up with a Cleveland, Mogami and Des Moines in my port, but that's gonna take a long time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The base Cleveland isn't all that, but once you get the upgrade that improves the RoF on your guns it gets a lot better. It was easy to do that in CBT, but now that we are in OBT it take 9.8k just to upgrade the hull and then a further 5.5k to upgrade the guns. I honestly prefer the Cleveland but you can't do the 'weave in/out' thing that you can do with the Omaha.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The way it works is that each ship you own has an XP it can gain: this is either used to upgrade your existing ship (although the upgrades are limited) and can be used as well to unlock the next ship of a higher tier. As well as that, there are branches to other classes of ships that you can unlock as well. So, for example, you start with a Tier I cruiser for a particular country, and from it you can unlock the Tier II cruiser for that country. The Tier II cruiser can then be used to unlock the Tier III cruiser or the Tier II destroyer etc.

As well as XP, you also get credits. Unlocking a ship with XP doesn't actually place it in your port, so you have to spend credits to actually buy the ship once you have unlocked it. You also use credits to buy upgrades for your ship that you unlocked using XP, as well as adding modules (which are basically modifiers to the ship that improve the accuracy of the guns, make it accelerate faster etc).

You can't really upgrade crew at the moment. You can upgrade your captain, he gains XP as well which can be used to gain skills to improve your ship as well. A Tier I ship will always get absolutely destroyed by a Tier X ship. There is still a point in using low tier ships since the matchmaking will attempt to place you in matches with equal tiers and sometimes lower tier games are much more fun than higher tier games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's a EU channel in game as well, it's called Goons and it's the one with actual people in.

Edit: well, there was one before the one made above, no pw either

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've finally managed to upgrade the Cleveland and it's like the good old times in CBT. Guns firing at 7 seconds per volley. I was facing a New York and sometimes if I aimed well my HE was doing like 6k damage per volley. My last match I ended up facing a New York and a Colorado: I managed to get the New York down from full health and destroy it, but by then my entire team was gone so I was facing the entire air arm of a VII tier carrier alone as well. I managed to get the Colorado down to half health and shot down 29 planes, but the combination of having to maneuver against enemy planes and the shots from the Colorado eventually brought me down. Love this ship.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Once you get used to the floaty shots it's not actually that bad and the volume of fire and firing speed more than makes up for it, it's very easy to adjust. I only use AP on the cleveland if I find lower tier cruisers, otherwise I just keep HE loaded and switch when I need to. Worked just as well as in CBT. I also use the aiming upgrade instead of the AA upgrade though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Shoul I purchase the Cleveland's gun upgrade? That's a lot of turning penalty.
Hell yes, it takes 2 seconds off the reload time. The turning penalty is really not that bad, you just have to pre-plan your moves slightly.