Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Application submitted but it's been a while and I still haven't been accepted into the US beta.

Well, my application jsut got approved within about 5 minutes. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
What's the in-game shortcut to make a screenshot?

Did a few rounds of bot-clicking with the starter boates so far, was fun to get the basics down and get some starting xp/cash. Last match I blew up three bots with the Katori. Two of them got served ~3.5k citadel hits. Also, compared to my pubbie teams on bot mode, I seem to have a bit of a habit of riding to glorious destruction - twice so far first one on my team to die, but also the one to earn the most damage done and xp. :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Krataar posted:

What treaty is everybody referring to?

The Washington Naval Treaty.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Holy poo poo, the bottom part:

This would actually end up souring diplomatic relations and contribute to the japanese decision to go to war when it became public knowledge in the mid-30s.

In other news, I goddamn adore the ridiculous pirate ship that is the St- Louis, DD dogfights are loving intense (okay, I was driving a Tatsuta, but that's just an overweight DD) and holy poo poo am I not gonna miss the Kawachi and it's ability to outmaneuver most islands.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 24, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I love this overgrown destroyer.

Had the Kongo driver who killed me rage afterwards because I put four torpedos into him post-mortem and then asked wether he liked my farewell gift. :haw:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

CitizenKain posted:

First game today and I pick the Tatsuta. The ship is already really bad, and a minute into the game, a ally hits me with a torpedo broadside from about 200m away. It is outgunned by destroyers, who thought that turret placement was a good idea.

Eh, I found the Tatsuta not too bad. Playd it like an oversize destroyer and found the guns quite capable enough to bully low-tier DDs once you learn to angle it enough that three of them are in arc. Then you just zoom around torping stuff, looking for gaps to steam into the backfield to murder carriers and/or chasing down DDs. Most DD drivers just plain panic and try to run and/or torp you and give you free reign to chew them up because you're fast and maneuverable enough to keep up and jink torpedos.

Edit:

Something magical just happened. I was forced into a dogfight with a Kongo in my Myogi and got wrecked. The Kongo driver mouthed off in chat to me over it, then realised what the game of chicken I had forced him into had caused:

He was completely stuck for like three minutes, then two torp bomber squadrons (Unrelenting there in the chat was the carrier driver on my team) put him out of his misery. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 25, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Holy poo poo I love the Kongo. Citadel-hitting other BBs with plunging shots from 20 klicks out is hilariously satisfying, as is dorking around in a BB that almost handles like a heavy cruiser.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

2. The Miyagi sucks so bad. Sprays 14" shells everywhere even when perfectly aimed. Only good use I found for it was when I turned the corner and Banzi'ed a near full health Amagi and took him with me.

The hell's a Miyagi? Unless you mean the Myogi, which yes, is kinda meh. Totally worth sticking it out for the Kongo, though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

grrarg posted:

T4 Japanese cruiser Kuma is a lot of fun too. Basically a Japanese DD without the lovely guns.

Confirming this. You're a fat DD without smoke, but enough guns to at least severely annoy cruisers and mulch real DDs. Works even better in their historical role in a pack with a few true DDs laying down smoke for the torpedo run because it can fight off enemy DDs trying to interfere and finish any near-dead survivors of the torpedo run with guns.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

That tier3 japanese battleship sucks balls. 10km range, no manouverability, gets to tier 6 games 95% of the time. You can't even get to behind an island before the first torp salvo or some kongo 20km away finishes you.

Yeah, the Kawachi is a piece of junk. Go to a flank and try to bully cruisers, I guess. Same with the Myogi.

The Kongo is the first japanese BB that can throw down with the other big boats well, though you're very vulnerbale close-in becuase your belt is jsut not going to stand up to battleship calibres. But she's good at fighting at long range and can just eat cruisers alive due to her speed, maneuverability and comparatively fast turrets.

Here's the game that unlocked the Fuso for me, just to show what a good match looks like for me in her:

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 27, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tiger Crazy posted:

Also how is damaged modeled in the gsme is it a healthbar or systems.

Healthbar, but lots of crit effects, modeled armored citadels and overpenetration (fire a battleship-calibre AP shell through the superstructure of a cruiser and you do next to no damage because it just punches straight through before the fuse can go off) and both temporary and permanent destruction of subsystems from crits. Ships can be set on fire, suffer flooding, lose rudder or engines temporarily, primary and secondary turrets both temporarily and permanently and can even be made to go full Hood.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Krataar posted:

It seems like torpedo's do more damage if they hit certain compartments. Do we have any idea where the better places to hit a torpedo on a ship are?

Directly below a turret can make BBs go full Hood.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Goddamn, it's ridiculous how much you can troll bad BB players with the Kongo. Had a standard cap mode match today in which all their BBs went down one flank while most of my team went down the other. A Nagato and me in the Kongo went down our flank and the Nagato got erased within like 5 minutes while taking one enemy BB with her with a crazy crit salvo. Which left me alone at 20km against two Fusos and two Nagatos. I proceeded to troll the ever-loving poo poo out of them for the next ten minutes because pubbies just can't loving hit a Kongo at 20km as long as you pretend you're playing Tokyo Drift:BB Edition*.

At the end, they had taken off like 5k hp from me in return for one Fuso being near dead when my team capped after rolling over their cruisers and DDs on the other flank. I evne had the time to taunt them in the chat between dodging salvoes. :v:

*This also trolled the poo poo out of a cheeky little DD who was very suprised when I evaded his torp run by just hitting the gas pedal. Little fucker didn't expect me to be at only 3/4 ahead when he launched.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

hopterque posted:

This isn't true at all, if you run across the map everyone within like 15 km and with a free line of sight is gonna see you.

It depends on your ship. Every ship has it's own individual seperate values for how far away they can be detected from by other ships and planes - if you expand the Concealment tab on the ship stats in port or tech tree, you can see the values. DDs have just about the shortest range of any ship. Firing your guns increases the range temporarily. This for example made the Senjo kind of a ghost ship during alpha at least: ~12.5 km surface detection value, but 16km gun range. It would pop up for a few seconds when firing it's guns from 15-16km out at you and then vanish again.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IS there a mumble or TS for goons on the EU CBT realm?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Missing Name posted:

If anything, it's Nelsol and Rodnol I want to play the most, followed by Scharnhorst and Gneisnau.

Deutschland-class and british BCs over here. Why yes, I like kinda bad ships. And the idea of taking off the doors from my ammo magazines and storing cordite in the walkways to shoot faster. :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So I heard the Aoba's supposedly poo poo?

Eh, I find her mediocre, but very much workable.:shrug: Nice long-range skirmishing and in close you can do nasty things with those torps.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Find what's wrong in this pic:

For a closer look:

He couldn't move or fire his guns anymore, but his AA kept firing and he kept being shown as alive.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ask me about knifefighting in a battleship. Big Race with Kongos onboth sides is kinda crazy, first shots tend to go flying 30 seconds into the match.
Also got two other 200k draws from divisioning with goons tonight. And now the Aoba grind begins...

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zotix posted:

What is the time to t5 or t6 from scratch?

I've done 155 matches so far, I'm a mediocre player and I'm riding T6 on two lines (japanese cruiers and battleships) and T5 on another (US cruisers) while also having unlocked the Langley (T4 and start of the US CV line) and both T2 destroyers. If you beeline into T5, about 30-35 matches should be enough.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Pubbies get so mad when you do unexpected thing that throw them off their game. Was driving the Kongo through the DD Fjord on Big Race today and an Omaha was trying to cut in front of me and presumably deliver a stylish close-range torp kill. Except I sped up and turned into him, he dropped them within arming distance and then I just t-boned him midships and saield straight through his wreck. Guy went completely nuclear in chat when I announced my ram kill in the traditional fashion. ("How's my driving?" :haw:) I was laughing too hard to actually remember taking screenshots. :(

Had an almost re-run of that with a division of goons, but that pubbie didn't take the bait. Also, I'm apparrently a crazed lunatic when driving a Kongo because I almost always seem to get into secondary range against cruisers or other BBs at least once per match. Also, I love running straight at people while my guns reload, so their shots often just hit my bow, overpen the superstructure or bounce off the turrets' glacis. Pubbies driving cruisers or DDs have an adorable habit of panicking and doing the dumbest poo poo when ~40k tons of BB come rolling straight at them at 30 knots.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Insert name here posted:

I once pulled up literally right next to an enemy Kongo in mine and we duked it out Age of Sail style and it was boss as hell

Had that happen on Big Race today, too. We passed so close that the primary turrets couldn't keep up tracking anymore while the secondaries kept firing into each other at point blank. I just took that as an opportunity to blow a neary cruiser into pieces with my forward turrets. :black101:

What I'm saying is that people need to be more aggressive and willing to get stuck in with their BBs.

Stevefin posted:

I think the only real difference we will see from WWII era German ships in game was their design to be 'unsinkable by flooding'. which could lead to less torp damage or less flooding damage/chance

Didn't the Bismarck also have some fancy sliding breech system for her 15-inchers that allowed a rather high rate of fire for guns that size? IIRC, she could do around 3 shots a minute, which would be a pretty loving impressive RoF compared with the current in-game BB primaries.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Make sure not to do this near islands or destroyers will eat you.

Sometimes. Other times you can do the funniest poo poo to them because hey just plain don't compute a BB being that reckless, flub their tops and then sit there looking sad and confused while the secondaries open up. I wouldn't recommend trying anything like that with the Fuso. The Kongo? That girl can dance once you get the hang of her.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
All the tier 5 ships I tried so far print credits like crazy. 100k+ for a decent game normally.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Oh hey, we're getting submarines.

No, we're not.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, had my first teamkill today. Rounded a corner on Fault Line in the Mogami, fired a torp spread at the rear end of a Fuso that was 5km away and moving straight away from me through a narrow channel, then turned around and went to murder a Ranger. Over a minute later, I get notification that I sunk a friendly destroyer followed by him cursing at me in chat. How the gently caress did he manage to run into one? They must have been near the end of their range by then. :psyduck:

Also, the Mogami is fun so far. Feels like a more fragile, but also more responsive Cleveland that trades some AA and RoF for an extra turret and torpedo launchers with a lovely firing angle.

OSad posted:

I like that his short reference to Kantai Collection was as impersonal and true to the game as possible; "They're young girls who have embodied the spirits of old Japanese warships.". Short, concise and to the point, and he's even got a Kirishima figure. I expected a different reaction from him, that's pretty cool.

Question though: he was double-clicking every salvo he had with the Kongo at long to his optimal engagement range, which was from 21km to 13km, I think? Is it better to just let go of your entire salvo in a battleship? I thought it was good practice to spread your shots and wait for them to land one-by-one, until you're sure your aim is straddled and proper in the enemies' battleship. Which is better?

It depends on how much you trust your skill at leading enemy ships. Full broadside can be advantageous at long range because it gives your target less warning time to take evasive action.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 2, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
6 (2*3)tubes each side. Myoko and up expand them to 2*4.

Also, someone said they get 5 less guns from tier 8 on: That's because the upgrade on the Mogami (and all the cruisers after it) switch the turrets from tripple 6-inchers into twin 8-inchers.
It's actually a bit of a sidegrade on the Mogami as you lose weight of fire and DPM in return for more damage per shell (and a higher chance to score penetrations against BBs and american cruisers), higher shell velocity and faster turret turning.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Ahaha. Apparently me spending a day telling BB drivers hugging the map edge to hand in their balls was enough for a chatban. :allears:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Poil posted:

What is it with all the battleship players who at the start of the round set an auto pilot route to just in front of the carrier edge spot, reduce their speed to 1/4 to make sure the players who go full speed ahead into the other team will die alone and then smugly miss shots at maximum range until they're sunk?

Pubbies being pubbies.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So... the Cleveland. Yeah, that thing needs a big nerf or to get bumped up to T7. :stare:

Though credit where it is due, the Kongo ate several torps from a beautiful suicide run from our Kuma when the two of us double-teamed her.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Recon planes are 3 minutes on BBs and 6 minutes on cruisers, though?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Pensacola is a bad ship, they say.

Okay, she's not nearly as tough as the Cleveland. But those 8-inchers pack suprisingly much oomph and are a joy for long-range gunnery and she's pretty drat maneuverable for a heavy cruiser.

Also, the stats on the stock guns are a lie - the stock turrets have a turn rate of 45(!) instead of 30 seconds. The upgraded guns get them up to their stated 30 seconds and make a huge difference.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 5, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, capping apparently yields crazy rewards xp- and credit-wise. Capped the base virtually alone in this one:

Also, dumbest Ranger driver in a while. So our fighters are way out of position and there's a non-covered BB right there. What does he do with his torp bombers? Throw them into the Pepsi's woodchipper. Flies em right over me, turns around to attack from the other side and by then most of em are dead and the drop does jack poo poo and the rest of em get mowed down as they cross right over me again. So three minutes later, the second wave. He does *the exact same thing* yet again and another two TB sqaudrons get completely butchered for nothing. :v:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC all the japanese BBs have 6-inch secondaries and 5-inch DP guns. The Nagato and Amagi have more of them than the Kongo and Fuso, though and the accurracy and range on them is better - Kongo and Fuso have 4km range on the secondaries, Amagi has 4.5km and Nagato and Yamato have 5km.

In other news, what I learned today:
1. The little channel between the islands at the C point on Fault Line? It's wide enough that a Phoenix and a Kongo can pass each other in there without colliding. The distance between both will be so short that it's inside torpedo activation range.
2. Cruiser-driving pubbies will go full deer in the headlights when they see an enemy Kongo enter the channel on the other side as they're going through it and will actually evade ramming you and let themselves get rip up by your front turrets followed by the secondaries followed by the rear turrets.

That poor pubbie in the Phoenix was probably traumatised after what I did there. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 6, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Welp, I guess I just managed to get a pubbie to troll himself. Typical perma-immobile carrier dumbass managed to get his own torpbombers to nuke half his healthbar when he was trying to use 'em to get my New Orleans off his back. :downs:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Nah. 8-inchers being capable of scoring citadel hits reliably whenever anyone presents his flat broadside just makes high-tier cruiser fights into potentially very short and vicious affairs. Seriously, never present your flat sides if you can at all prevent it. Going towards or away from your opponent at just enough an angle to keep your rear turret(s) in the fight and then swing in even more during reloads is in my experience so far the best way to keep yourself alive in those fights. Also good for whittling down BBs in long-range skirmishes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
It definitely does come with a speed reduction. Going like 24 knots in the Kongo for a set time due to repair being on cooldown while you're also hemmorhaging HP isn't very fun.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I unlocked the Nagato. And it's actually not all bad. Losing two turrets hurts and the 16-inchers are hit&miss. But it feels drat good to be in a ship that can at least maneuver worth a drat and has an actually very responsive rudder for something that size (once you upgrade the hull). When the 16-inchers hit, they hit hard and running the larger secondary battery of the Nagato with the range increase mod and captain skill means anyone coming within 7 kilometers of you is in for one hell of a ride. She doesn't have the long-range gunnery of the Fuso, but holy poo poo does she rip up things once you're in close.

My first game after the hull upgrade was on Arctic, with no DDs and I went into the A sector. Brawled a Fuso to death at point blank while the secondaries on the other flank tore off like half of the healthbar of a Cleveland in a minute or two before he got murdered by someone else.

Objective verdict: Decent. Beastly up close, but overall not quite as good as the Fuso.
Subjective verdict: :black101:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 9, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Personally, I'd like to see the Kitakami "buffed" to use slower torps with 20km range. Being able to provide area denial, dick over chokepoints and murder inattenttive fools from outside normal spotting range would give it a real gimmick instead of it being a glorified suicide sled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The open ocean map actually seems to work out suprisingly well from the few times I got matches on it. Many pubbies seem to be confused enough by the lack of any island cover or defining features to actually bumble towards the enemy instead of trying to camp the backfield and you generally get a fun mix of DD dogfights taking place up front while the bigger boats keep shooting at each other over the smoky morass until one side decides to go on the offensive somewhere and things become truly heated.