Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Played a good many hours tonight and had much fun; the only disappointment was that my long-abandoned WoT lions/gold didn't carry over.

The tip off for the American Cruisers seems right up my alley through the Phoenix.

Tuco22 posted:

Not surprised at the amount of people who are still trying to get their brake-less 30k ton canoe's to poke in/out from behind islands.
Seemed fairly effective if you stop in the right place so you can fire all your front guns, are relatively concealed from return fire, and can't be hit by torpedoes from the angle you're looking.

Might depend on ship though: I failed spectacularly twice with my Phoenix before realizing movement is life once you actually have the ability to move and turn (the St. Louis doesn't and was what was working for peeking around an island).

Crashing into the edge of the map being an invisible wall is also hilarious: had two enemies in a big engagement do this, both were quickly smitten by rounds and torps as they came to a dead stop in vision of like six ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Stevefin posted:

So many Battleship players just seem to want to recreate the Yamato battle tonight :negative:
Now if only Wargaming made realistic explosions when you set off their ammo. The artist ship formerly known as Prince Yamato:

:getin:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

The guns on a IJN destroyer turn so slowly I'm not sure why they are even there.
Seriously. They're so slow you can either maneuver to avoid being hit or return fire. Given how weak they are anyway, the choice is obvious to maneuver and they basically never ever get on target when you're doing evasive turning.

It's a real downer in the fun category to not be able to shoot my piddly guns just to have something to do while bobbing and weaving enemy fire while trying to set up torp runs.

Interesting/cool.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

Thanks for posting that, I've been watching a ton of videos while dreaming of a CBT key and it's refreshing to see one without the standard 'YouTuber' commentary.
Some friends and I have been streaming some WoWS if anyone wanted to watch while dreaming of a key (streaming right now and will be for at least awhile longer tonight): http://www.twitch.tv/choppernine

No keys to hand out, unfortunately (:smith:), but you can watch us be bad at boats and poo poo up chat about how WoWS doesn't fulfill your lifelong goal of being a real ship IRL with realistic armor characteristics and all like Harold the Helicopter.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

sparkmaster posted:

So while I'm desperately waiting for a beta test invite, I'll pose a question.

With all the action items, good and bad, with WoS, how would you all describe the fun factor? Is this a fun game and one worth playing?
Pretty fun.

My impressions so far:
- DDs are great fun (up to tier V US, abandon Japanese ones at tier III because the super slow turret turn being lame). You can roam the seas basically invisible since your spotting range is much further than your spot-able range (as long as no dumb-luck airplanes spot you; finding an also-invisible enemy destroyer can be bad news, depending on if they have support and it doesn't just become a fun knife-fight to the death) and use this to jump enemies as they round an island (you can solo full HP BBs if they're dumb enough/forced into being close to islands). I hope they make DDs a little less fragile in the future though since one lucky volley from pretty much anything will end your game no matter how well you're playing it.

- Cruisers (up to tier V US, didn't bother with Japanese) are pretty fun since you can dish so many rounds out that you can rack up some serious hurt (wreck DDs, do sizable damage to BBs) if you can stay safe enough or not be focused. Staying safe in a Cruiser seems tough so far since you're the low HP, easier-to-kill target even when you stick with BBs.

- BBs (up to the Kongo, tier V) are super hit and miss in my opinion. Literally. They're depressingly unfun when you spend 5+ minutes constantly having volleys that straddle (land both short and long) the enemy ship(s) and then have to wait out the 30 second reload to have another perfectly-sized-up volley land both short and long again. That said, you can't help but grin when you knock 20k+ hitpoints off some schmuck from 18km out. I feel like I need to work on balancing getting closer (aka hitting more) while still staying back enough that I don't get torp-ninjaed by a DD or become the obvious focal point for all enemy guns (teamwork OP!).

- Haven't tried CVs and probably won't outside of experimental purposes. Least Sky Cancer seems like there's more nuance than Arty scrubbing in WoT, but that wasn't my jazz in tanks and doubt it will be here.

- The current worst thing (besides the pubbies :rimshot:... I mean Willie Dees :c00lbert:) right now is the lack of maps. I think there's only like five, maybe six, maps right now and one is for tier I/II only while two more are only for like V and over. Same map over and over can get kind of dull, the three (king of the hill, base capture, and 2?/3/4 point [depending on map] capture) types do little to really add variety. I feel like more complex map goals could work well with ships since deathmatch doesn't seem as good with ships (it usually takes a really long time because ships take a lot more punishment to die, generally speaking).

kalven posted:

Because range is more important then rate of fire.
5.0km -> 5.5km (or was it 4.5 ->5.0?) didn't seem like a worthwhile trade to me since you still basically have to shotgun them either way (be well within spot distance, pretty close or in secondary distance); I kept the unupgraded torps on the Clemson for the faster reload and didn't regret it.

Edit:
Couple friends streaming more WoWS at http://www.twitch.tv/choppernine right now. No keys to give away, but random goons harassing them in chat would be pretty funny for me.

bUm fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 22, 2015