Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not that good at playing my CV, but I have my moments. When I do well, I crush it. Every flight of torpedo bombers has the ability to completely wreck up any capital ship you throw them up against. Even if you fail to kill them outright, a good run leaves them broken and bloody.

The problem with boosting them is that they're already real bastards when you play them to their full potential. Dive bombers need work, yes, but torpedo bombers? Those things hurt. Getting sandwiched between two flights of them is basically game over for any BB you throw them against.

If they're boosted further because people can't use them to their fullest potential, the people that can do well with them right now will crush it. It's the same with BBs. You could argue that the long reload on their guns is a great burden for people that can't aim, but serious balance problems would pop up if BBs were made any stronger.

You can see how much damage you're doing if you linger until the end of a game and check out a detailed report, by the way.
I think the main problem with carriers at the moment is the lack of a tutorial or firing range to practice torpedo bombing. It is hard to get the hang of the timing for manual drops when you start with one wing of bombers and have several minutes of flight time and reloading between drops. There is way less margin for error and feedback for mistakes than the slowest reloading and traversing battleship guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Friendly torps are way for dangerous than enemy torps. Some rear end in a top hat dropped torps in my path that forced me to dodge and put me right into the path of some enemy torps that weren't spotted at the time. :argh:
No kidding. Even worse is the US destroyer players that still do not know the range on their torps by tier IV or V. I got hit by 'friendly' torps two times tonight that would have ran out of fuel 4km short of the target. I guess I should stop trying to turn into my smoke whenever I am playing a Japanese destroyer and a US one is anywhere close. They see my torps launching and get trigger happy.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

St. Louis for silly low-tier gun fun.
T4+5 Japanese DDs, also US DDs to a lesser extent.
Saipan is a great mid-tier CV once you get the 1F2TB1DB setup.
Fuso for it's sheer broadside weight.
Mogami can really put the smack down, although vulnerable.
Des Moines is supposedly amazing.

Too bad we don't know a release date for US BBs yet, I want a New Mexico so bad, 12 guns in triple turrets would give you the same broadside as on the Fuso but with a significantly tighter spread.

All in all there are no real turds in the game, there are a few ships like the Pensacola or Phoenix which are rather bad in stock config but at least become decent once upgraded.
T4 Japanese cruiser Kuma is a lot of fun too. Basically a Japanese DD without the lovely guns.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Already saw a few Yubaris this morning. They did not seem very impressive. Now there's another 86mb patch.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That is all true, but suckers whales are still buying them like crazy. One match tonight had 4 of the new premiums on each side, a mix of Yubaris and the Russian DD.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That seems redundant since everyone gets 5 free ship slots after the weekend space event ends.

They really should keep spaceships as a monthly event. The sound effects are great, and the carrier having two small cruisers bolted to the sides cracks me up.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Has Wargaming said anything about what they are doing for carriers, other than AP dive bombers? I have been getting more and more games with no carriers on either side lately.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

With the 5 free ship slots from spaceships, I'm looking forward to rebuying a Wakatake, Kuma, and Omaha tommorrow to beat up on new people. People love the St. Louis and Cleveland, but Omaha is my favorite US cruiser. 8x1 and 2x2 main guns means it has more guns than the St. Louis plus it can go 34 knots plus it has 5.5km range torpedoes. So much fun.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I could understand complaints about draws in standard battles, but domination? I do not think I have ever had a domination game end in a draw. I don't want to be the type of guy that says stuff like this, but if you honestly have a 10+% draw rate, you are not playing aggressively enough. Be the change you want to see and all that.

As someone said earlier in the thread, standard or encounter battle draws could be fixed by having the timer hold at zero if a base is being capped. That probably would reduce draws by 50% if not more.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Magni posted:

So. A thing happened.

I'm now ready for the patch. :getin:
Congratulations. I hope the patch is this week. I am ready for new ships since I have all the lines I enjoy at tier 8 and cannot force myself to grind to 10, knowing that it will be wiped.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Torp them anyway, if you are not already. Watching the chat explosion will magically cure your frustration.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Are any sites hosting replays yet? It would be fun to see some goon ones, and uploading a 2mb replay is a lot less :effort: than fooling with capturing video for a stream or Youtube.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

The reason I asked about replay hosting sites earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcK7ZgL_N78
That poor Kawachi. If I did not get him, the bombers would have. If they did not, the destroyer to the northwest probably would have.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Cruisers are my favorite too. I wish the patch would drop so I can get the Ibuki. I stopped playing the Myoko after unlocking all the modules since it is not clear how the tier swapping would affect experience if the patch dropped before I researched the Ibuki.

This weekend's event is a credit discount on Tier VI-VII ships and a piaster discount on premiums.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Limited torpedo reloads concern me more than gun ammunition, but that would be one way to tone down the Nicholas and Minekaze.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Before we go nuts, I should point out that I don't know if they are limiting torpedo reloads. I was just responding to that unsourced Q&A a few posts up.

James Garfield posted:

That's the thing, those ships don't really need it. The Minekaze is straight up better than the Mutsuki, but that's mostly because the Mutsuki really is that bad. I wouldn't pick the Minekaze as the strongest tier 5.
Considering it's wargaming they're a lot more likely to "fix" destroyers by making them all poo poo instead of by bringing the high tier ships up to the same level as lower tier, though.
One bit of good news is people that got into the public 3.1 test this weekend report that T6-10 Japanese torpedo reload times were lowered around 20%

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I wonder if the Mogami's 155mm guns will still be viable after the tier switch and 3.1 armor changes. I love the rate of fire on them.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

There are already people with Montanas. That's a lot of free experience.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Domination on the North map makes me sad. 4 cap points, and pubbies still do the blue line cruise out west.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I think the turning changes actually make it easier to dodge torpedoes now, if you know they are coming. But yeah, it is a great time to play destroyers with most people playing the slowass US battleships.

The reduced detection range of aircraft makes long range torpedoes a lot more viable after the patch. I got several kills from almost 10km tonight. Sure, it was due to dumb people traveling in a straight line at max speed for that long, but they would have spotted the torpedoes in plenty of time to dodge or cut speed before the patch.

How do you all like the new Hot Spot map? I think it is funny that it is called Bees to Honey in replay files since most players seem to be allergic to the center cap point.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Scikar posted:

I haven't played since the aimbots took off, but coming back in and the engine sounds seem to have stopped? I get the gearbox sound when I sent to full throttle but no noise from the turbines any more, and there's also none of the rumbling and creaking in the port either. Did they remove that?
Sound balance is weird since the patch. Sometimes certain sounds will cut out or be overwhelmed by another sound's volume. Last night I had a game on the new map where the whine of torpedo launchers traversing would play at max volume for 30 seconds before returning to normal. Sometimes the propeller noises will get loud so it is like you are in a WWII submarine movie.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

The Locator posted:

I can't paint a crying Lenin on my boat. This makes me sad.

E: Almost as sad as the Mahan. Tier 7 DD and it has 4.5km torps. And takes 8200xp before you can upgrade them. Jesus what a pain this is going to be.
Default torps are bad except for island ambushes, but the guns are great. Dance at max range and burn everything with HE.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

x4 is for EU people, yeah.

The Mogami with the 155mm guns is still great after the patch. Got Double Strike and another Confederate with it in a game tonight.

Saying "thanks for flags" when an achievement pops really sets off a chat explosion, haha. Especially after a Double Strike.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Night battles with darkness affecting spotting distance would be cool as hell. Pubbies would hate it though, the same as the whining whenever Ocean turns up.

Maybe War Thunder will do it whenever they get around to doing their version of boats.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Sometimes people just do not want to win. Team was ahead by like 300 points and controlled two points. A full health Cleveland and half health Baltimore were alive. All they had to do is stay alive long enough for the last 100ish points to tick down since there was no way the other team could capture A and B in time.

Instead, they head out into the open in the west to shoot at the afk/disconnected Amagi and quickly die to the Iowa and Baltimore.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I think I'm done until they add more ships or go into Open Beta. I'm not interested in battleships or carriers, and it is not worth burning out to research tier IX or X cruisers or destroyers that will be wiped. I like a lot of the ideas in the 3.1 patch, but the AP/HE change and usefulness of signal flags need tweaking.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

That is a big reason I'm stopping for now too. The matchmaker and idiotic teams have been really bad this week. Last night I had a domination game on North where the matchmaker gave the other team two more ships then a division of two destroyers on our team disconnected or went afk. There was no way we could win. Domination matches should never have uneven teams. The matchmaker should change the gametype to standard or encounter if it cannot give teams even numbers.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Artless Meat posted:

E: Is there a cap on the number of skill points your captain can get?
One of the recent patch notes said captains have a max of 19 points spent. So four points leftover after taking one skill at each tier 1-5, or five points leftover if you take both Pyromania and Advanced Firing Training at tier 4.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I played the Myogi and unlocked the Kongo but haven't actually bought the Kongo yet. If people say it gets better soon, I was going to buy the kongo and slog through.
You should try the Kongo and see if you still feel the same way. The Kawachi and Myogi do not really reflect what the higher tier IJN battleships are like. The Kongo is almost as fast as a cruiser so you can get into a more comfortable firing range quickly if you do not like long range gunnery. Hitting with extremely long range shots generally requires a bit of luck anyway, unless you are shooting at bad players that never change course or speed.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Haha, what did you do to make that guy so mad?

My favorite thing today was getting called dishonorable for sinking a Baltimore with my Ibuki's torps. Apparently we were supposed to be dueling with guns. I love it when people forget IJN cruisers have torpedoes.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

They took away the ability to zoom in on guns, torpedo tubes, etc. in today's mini-patch.
I have not noticed any change. Did you mean from that eye in the sky mod?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

No, in the port, you could zoom in on a vessel's main battery, secondary guns, and AA guns by clicking a little camera in the dropdown menu about the ship. It was fun looking at the different mounts and the attention to detail that WG put into the ships.
That still works for me.

Dev posted something interesting in a thread about the problems carriers have facing a 2v1 or the plane disparity against higher tier carriers.

quote:

In nearest-nearest future will be small update with testing a small change in matchmaker, almost eliminating battles with unequal number of players.

If it will be succeed, the next one will be about carriers disparity solution.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Even without the retraining bug, Pyromaniacally spamming HE is crazy.

The enemy Essex got Fireproof by ducking behind an iceberg with three or four fires burning. I did not chase because I thought it would burn to death before repair came back up and an angry Des Moines was chasing me. The Essex survived with 5k hp and spent the rest of the match fleeing to the far southeast corner where no one could catch it before we had to cap.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

What torps does the Sims get anyway? It is annoying that it is not possible to view the stats of the pre-order premium ships in game. Does it get the same guns as the other US destroyers? Other than being a cheaper premium than the Atlanta, I do not see the appeal when it is so similar to the Farragut/Mahan/Benson/Fletcher.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

I have been tempted to shell out for an Atlanta several times after seeing people die in them after whiffing several full salvos in a row. With that rate of fire on so many turrets, how can people not learn to aim? Hold the left mouse button down and move the reticle around until every shot hits.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

A little patch in the morning to nerf HE and Pyromania a bit and maybe make AP less bouncy.

quote:

Update 0.3.1.3 Notes

Fixed a bug that caused a failure to display any change when upgrading the AA module to 127-mm guns on Fuso
Fixed an issue affecting aiming and non-moving ships
Fixed an issue that resulted in poorly balanced teams when in Standard and Domination game modes
Added an after-battle notification prototype
Fixed an issue that caused features to disappear while turning the camera
Decreased the speed of dive bombers and torpedo bombers under attack
Changes to ship turning radii
Fixed an issue causing ships to become stuck near sector G2
Changed economic settings for ships Myoko, Ishizuchi, and Mogami

Decreased the effectiveness of "Pyroman" skill to +3% instead of +5%
Changed bombs and torpedoes on Japanese aircraft:
Torpedoes tiers IV - VII: Type 91 Mod1A
Torpedoes tiers VII - X: Type 91 Mod2A
Bombs all tiers: Type99 N25 Mod1
Decreased the damage of HE shells by between 11.5% and 15.8%
Decreased the likelihood of AP shell ricochet by adjusting the deflection angle by 5 degrees

Improved overall client performance, mostly addressing freezing issues

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

jownzy posted:

In terms of end game, is it really only the tier 10 ships that matter? You're only in all the crappy ships along the way for a finite period of time. There seems to be little or no incentive to play tiers lower than what you're grinding for.
Making credits to pay the ~9 million for a tier 10 is the incentive to pay lower tiers. Tier 9s barely make more than the cost of service in most cases. If you do not have premium and a premium ship to grind credits, your favorite tier 3-5 is the best way to make credits.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

El Disco posted:

Why is the Mutsuki such a piece of poo poo? It gets worse torpedoes and guns than the Minekaze, in exchange for slightly better AAA. Which is still rather bad and is only good for occasionally picking off a plane or two. I think I'm going to give up on the IJN destroyer line, especially since the US destroyer line is so much fun.

edit: I read here earlier that the IJN DD line peaks at the Minekaze, but goddamn I guess I had to go and find out the hard way that they were right.
The Mutsuki is the low point of the line, but it gets better from there if you stick with it. Burn some free exp to get the 10km torpedoes then take advantage of the 5.9km concealment range to torp unsuspecting targets. Most players are bad and will maintain a straight course at a constant speed if they do not know a destroyer is around. The 10km torps should not be spotted until it is too late, unless they have already spotted you or you draw attention to yourself by opening fire.

The Hatsuhara is a bit better than the Mutsuki. It gets better guns in return for a worse 6.7km concealment range.

The Fubuki is better than the Hatsuhara. It gets 3x2 gun turrets that are decent and 3x3 torp launchers with up to 15km torps.

The Kagero is a lot of fun. It starts out with the Fubuki's 15km torps and upgrades to 20km ones with higher speed and damage. The only downside is that its turrets are really fragile, with 1 forward and 2 aft like the Hatsuhara and Fubuki. I have had both aft turrets permanently knocked out several times by one HE shell dinging for 100hp.

One thing to keep in mind with all the higher tier IJN destroyers is that it is usually best to skip the final hull upgrade on all of them. A bit more AA is usually not worth giving up a gun turret.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

It sounds better than I expected, if the armor and guns are as good for the tier as they say. Plus the paint scheme is nice.

Has anyone watched any of the Anchor Report streams? Are they any good? I'm curious about the Signal Flags one they did a week or two ago. They were supposed to talk about new modules in addition to flags. I might watch it tonight since nobody posted a recap on their forums as far as I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Small sample size also contributes, can't be more than a thousand people in the CB, at least on the NA server
Nah there are way more than that. Primetime population still peaks around 3500 players online in the 3-4 hours after the 1.5x reset, and offpeak population during the day averages around 1k. That is pretty impressive considering peak concurrency for online games is usually something like 10-20% of the total player population, and most of the people playing botes beta bought their way in through the pre-order packs. Plus people are probably playing less this late in the beta to avoid burnout or because they have unlocked all the ships they desired.