Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xthetenth posted:

Literally their worst.

Basically energy fighters were a bit weak in large part because guns were accurate at long range and they got strafed as they tried to pull away. So they decided to make them a bit better. So they made them more able to do boomy zoomy stuff by adding a boost that let them get up to high altitude faster, and heavy fighters got a real long boost so they could get the highest. Then they made them a bunch better by making planes perform like suck outside their preferred altitude band. Then they made planes literally incapable of dealing meaningful damage against targets when they were going slowly or pointing upwards.

This meant that in all, going up against a higher tier plane or a boomier zoomier plane you were dead with no chance of success.

They released the game in this state. Remember the grind a tier ten contest? A bunch of tryhards all platooned and flew nothing but the boomiest zoomiest and spent the whole time getting like 95% win rates.

Thus died WoWP.
They actually rebalanced all the game mechanics to make them pretty awesome.

And then a month later they changed all the flight mechanics for no reason, put the aiming reticule way above where the bullets actually go and basically genocided what was rest of the community.

I actually prefered WoP to WT since battles were fast, fun and there was a semblance of balance between factions. Now it's basically unplayable.

gently caress you Wargaming for ruining WoP and now not letting me play WoWS :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Steps to play destroyer
-Sail around waiting for ships to separate
-Sail around islands and smokescreens avoiding fire
-Sail around distracted ships
-Torpedo ships when they aren't looking
-Sail away

Where are you going wrong here? Destroyers are easy.

It is trivially easy to crit hit all the Japanese cruisers for max damage, and they are way easier to hit. They do go slower, so maybe you aren't suiciding into the other team as quickly.

aka be the amx 12\13

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

demonR6 posted:

Isn't West coast routed completely different and for some reason not as terrible as East? I remember sending them a pingplotter of East where it had hops in Japan or some poo poo like that before going to complete poo poo the last three hops into WG. There were times where it had 40% packet loss those last hops. They always blamed it on our personal ISP though.

Four more days till Armored Warfare so gently caress WoT forever. The End.

wtf is amored warfare

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When will this piece of boat poo poo be open to anyone? Or is it already and i'm blind?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing holding me back from getting a ~Founder's Package~ for Armored Warfare is the fact that I've heard that the company behind AW makes Wargaming and Gaijin look practically monastic in regards to microtransactions. I might just spring for the 29.99 package so I can get the tin-foil tank and the ~speshul commander~.

I'm also really leery about a company that gave *Silentstalker* authority.

lmao the new "World of Tanks killer" game hired the Czech nazi and is P2W?

Goons will play\praise anything as long as it isn't Wargaming.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Type 59 was nerfed to hell and so was the Sperhing, the only premium that you can call OP are the Church III and that stupid German TD that is the size of a pair of tracks +a canon and that's debatable.

Anyway, is there a thread for AW? I can't say no to the idea of driving a Leopard.

Also

Mans posted:

When will this piece of boat poo poo be open to anyone? Or is it already and i'm blind?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the dif between HE and AP and why should i use either and when?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for some reason the little pop up image that shows module specs is white and transparent, which makes reading module information virtually impossible.

can i change it to be less transparent or something?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i unlocked the first japanese destroyer and i only hit an enemy with torps at basically point blank (1.5kms)

i need torpedo guides pls

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i apologize because statistically speaking i probably torpedoed one of multiple goons that are complaining about friendly torpedoes.

because i'm terrible at destroyers yet i only play them exclusively.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't really see how people are managing to get close to 4kms from someone to torp them consistently because every time i do that i'm blown to hell.

i'm loving terrible at destroyers

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Which destroyer are you using? Part of the key to my recent dickstabbing success is using the Japanese destroyers with 7km range to lay down torpedo traps and wait for likely prey to blunder into them. Another key is to use your concealment to get around the main scrum and look for sniping BBs or CVs and ambush them; it doesn't matter if they see you coming, you can dodge a BB's fire fairly easily and you're a small target, and then you get in there and start the knifing.

I'm mostly using the Japanese ones because i find the long rage torps to be better at doing exactly what you said. I just release my load on a strait between two islands and a lot of people just sail right into the trap. The problem is when i'm considerably far away from an enemy and i need to close in, they seem to never miss spotting me and immediatly focus me because they know an incoming destroyer is more dangerous than a sniping half drunk battleship on the other side of the map. So i'll just be at 6kms from the enemy when his load blows my engines and sets me on fire and at that range it's basicalyl useless to shoot torps since he'll dodge them easily.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Did the Russian navy actually, like, do anything in WWII?

120 amphibious landings, 120 Heroes of the Soviet Union, defenders of Stalingrad, Leningrad and Moscow and the best combat attires of the entire war.

but the boats itself? Not much nah.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hunting carriers in a destroyer has become my favorite thing in this game. You pop smoke and sneak up on a distracted carrier and when he realizes he's being hunted he already has torpedoes on the way to hit his anchored rear end :getin:

I don't think BBs are for me. How can anyone have the patience to play with such slow moving, innacurate and slow firing boats? Jesus.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it sure would be awful if things turned out like that incredibly excellent game that was significantly more fun than its respective Wargaming competitors :can:

WarThunder has this thing where 90% of the playerbase acts like Wargaming caused them personal grievances for not being a worse tank simulator than RO and get really offended when people say the game really isn't that special (why am i grinding forever for planes i can play with better systems in Sturmovik\wings of prey for free?).

They're the breaking bad fans of vidja games and it's really weird.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
because otherwise every smartass would capfast and wargaming games are already filled with capfasters

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesis posted:

Then why have caps at all? Just make it TDM so whichever team has the most 'kill points' win.

it gives a decent amount of xp but not enough to make people just zoom torwards caps and capfast, just those oblivious to the rewards.

domination owns and it's great when you can use the cap system to snatch away a victory but the game is about fighting botes

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So does the Japanese BB get better after the Kawachi because between being gigantic, slow, no range, slow firing and no accuracy i'm really finding it hard to see why i shouldn't sell this.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are goons honestly shocked that most people flocked to battleships? This is the same community that flocks to heavy tanks and heavy TDs in WoT. it's all about the weight.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a guide to just exactly what tree "is"?

I played this game way back when it was released and i had a ton of Japanese stuff but now i don't really know what the Soviet, German and developed US and Japanese trees are supposed to be.

Are the Japanese still the go fast, big guns and torps and no armor dudes?

This game needs more guides.

Also, what's the goddamned button to lock your guns in place?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any euros plauying this game and if so is there a discord somewhere?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Soviets and Germans seem way too good, what are their main flaws?

I mean, i'm able to torp Sov and German boats with relative ease because those boats seem to drop player IQ by 15% but they seem really good in paper versus the japanese destroyers and cruisers.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is so smooth and fun to play even solo that it's blowing my mind how it's from the same company of world of tanks

why isn't sixth sense the same in both games???

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesis posted:

Probably because it doesn't make sense to have 8 extra seconds of light bulb even when you're out of sight. Plus detection works differently in WoWS compared to WoT.

i meant WOWS's sixth sense should be ported over to WoT

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that is a wrong opinion but we live in a democracy and free speech is a civic right

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what exactly am i supposed to do if i'm in a battleship and i see a torpedo squadron flying my way from 2kms out?

because no matter what i do they will always garantee at least two trop hits on me. Specially since they turn on a dime like they're torpedo throwing flying saucers.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Devorum posted:

Immediately turn your nose towards the TB's. If they're that close, they're likely locked into their run already.

It's a skill it took me a while to learn, but now I almost never get hit by air dropped torpedoes unless a good player simo drops me from multiple directions.

i'll keep this in mind thanks!

what are the "keepers" of the Japanese line? The Kawachi is fun to brawl with but the short range is killing me way too much, is this the regular MO of their battleships? The destroyers are all super fun and i'm currently on tier IV, not surewhat i think of the cruisers, decent speed and tons of torpedos but they're very fragile for their size.

Still, the Japanese line has been my favorite by far. although the Wickes is cool as hell too. Do the next US DDs follow the same go fast, short range torps everywhere logic?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Counterpoint: the Type 59 is a copy of another country's tank, and Chinese people paid hundreds of dollars for a special edition painted gold with dragons on it.

lol if you think that wouldn't sell like crazy in the western servers

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the best way to spend money on this game regarding premium? does it share premium with WoT or did they never make it? I think not because i have like 15 million in WoWS and only 800kcredits in WoT.

basically i want some premium for august and enough gold to buy enough garage slots and barrack spaces to not worry about having to sell pretty ships ever again or having to keep bad ones just to save on barrack slots.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an almost undefeated ratio as the Americans and Germans but i keep losing good personal games as the Japanese and Soviets.

This would be good if my main focus wasn't on grinding the Japanese and the Soviets.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's so wrong about Japanese DDs? all Japanese lines seem rpetty cool and i'm at the tier four DD but now i'm getting worried :ohdear:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tell me how to citadel because i don't know how to hit the ammo rack of these botes

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Disco posted:

Aim at their side under the smoke stacks or turrets. The citadel area is usually pretty low on the ship so try to hit just above the waterline. Note that Destroyers don't have a citadel at all, and cruisers with guns smaller than 203mm don't have gun citadels (though if you hit under their turrets you still have a chance to detonate their magazine).

NTRabbit posted:

Should also be noted that the best you can is put the reticle where the citadels are, it still has to run through a couple sets of RNG to happen, no such thing as a guaranteed citadel.

So i should hit bellow the guns and pray for the best? It's less complex than i expected!

What about the two tier 3 torpedo skills, should i pick the one with extra range or the one with extra speed? If i choose both i get a speed boost and a 5% range. Is that the best option? :v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'0m not sure how i'm supposed to play with the Phoenix since it clearly isn't a torpedo boat but he doesn't seem to have partcularly good canons either?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is torpedo Acceleration good?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tier 6 and 7 matchmaking is 80% composed of battleships what the hell.

the majority of my high tier matches are 10 BBs on each side with me and some other dude being the only DD, it's crazy.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you guys calculate long range shots cause now i have a very pretty kirov but firing at 12kms+ is basically firing at random and praying they fall somewhere near enemy boats.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
torping battleships at 2km range is the best thign about DDs.

if you can't handle the danger zone then DDs aren't for you

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I wandered off from the game and I see we have a lot of sexy new content. A few questions tho:

Why do the Japanese have a tree that ends at tier 8? Is it worth it?

Back in the day I remember Japanese and American destroyers were cool and good while the Soviets had mini crusiers as destroyers and mini battleships as cruisers. Are they still decent?

If I only had a slot available and I wanted to put a battleship tree there, would I go American, Japanese or German?

Are American Cruisers still weak as hell after tier V?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the replies guys!

Is Priority Target any good? What skills do you recommend for destroyers?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear there was a babby aiming mod that gave you a general ideal of where to aim at a moving target. I would really need it because 1)I haven't played this for an entire year 2)i mostly play as destroyers and shotgun poo poo so when i go to 20km range shots i basically miss by miles :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems weird how the Soviets and Germans seem to have silly strong lines while the three sea faring nations have "heh" lines by comparison.