Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm digging the Clemson. The eight 102 mm guns really do a number on other DDs, easily taking off half their health on a good salvo. Decent bite against CAs too. Well, CLs anyway.

Prav fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Unlike the TOG the St.L. is actually a credit to it's team that does surprisingly well against bigger ships.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think that saying that 5,5 km range torpedoes are bad should be a controversial statement.

Also Kongos and Fusos have 5,6 km secondary range. Unless you actually want to test if they're running the modernization and skill or not. That could backfire. Still, as the players are right now they probably aren't.

Prav fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 17, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

No, reading comprehension, try again. I watched a destroyer come out of smoke from behind an island, approach a Kongo from the front quarter at full speed, and in the process of of reaching a favourable torp angle, turning, aiming and firing, the destroyer - a tier 3 - took 3 secondary salvos and died shortly after firing the torpedoes.

Are you sure that none of those were from a primary? Because at that range primaries absolutely annihilate DDs and are pretty easy to hit with since the shell travel time is basically instant.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It'd also make for some really long BB queues.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's a shame that the HMS Gay Viking was just a motor gun boat. Not to mention the notable butt pirate HMS Gay Corsair.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They really should buff the turning speed of guns on the Japanese destroyer. Moving around and evading fire is your primary means of not exploding, but this means you can't use your guns. At all. Sometimes your ship goes so fast that you can't bring your guns on target fast enough to track it and take a shot.

Them having shittier guns than the US DDs is enough, really, they don't also need to be almost useless.

One tip I got is that the Aiming Expertise skill is supposed to work wonders on them. +2,5°/s is a ~55% buff in traverse rate! Bit silly to have them so reliant on a single skill though.

Now if only I could get a few piasters to actually try it out...

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Considering that there's a couple of destroyers that are just straight downgrades from the preceding ship (looking at you Mutsuki) I think it's safe to say that the complete overhaul DDs got last patch isn't quite done yet.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Well the Cleveland is not a battleship but people still enjoy playing it so yeah, it's getting nerfed.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

As a random though, an arming range indicator for torp bombers would be... very useful, let's say. Wonder how long it'll take for someone to make that mod.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Oh and while I'm thinking about user interface, I really wish I had a torpedo range circle in addition to the gun range one. And a surface detection range circle. And an air detection range circle. And a spotting range circle. Whole lotta circles.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

There is a range circle for torps. The dotted circle around your ship on the minimap is for either your guns or your torps. Depending on which is selected.

Oh hey it does change. That'll be convenient.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Firing HE at a CL or even CA deck will get you a whole lotta crits. Probably won't miss the lost AAMG or whatever terribly much but you sure blew it up. Torp launchers also tend to react badly to HE.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xthetenth posted:

There's crits which are generally minor and if fire is any example smaller shells have a lower per-shell chance of them, and then there's citadel hits, which are just sloughing off 1/x of a target's health for values of x usually well under 10.

25-40% for any poor CA that happens to be fighting a battleship. I have strong feelings about large-caliber citpens.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's +10% reload time, as in you take longer to reload. Only use it if you're desperate for gun traverse rate.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Does the Gun Fire Control System give any meaningful increase to accuracy though?

No one's sure afaik.

It seems to be better than a placebo. But that might just be the placebo effect speaking.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MREBoy posted:

ammoracked?/magazined?

Hooded.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Hagop posted:

Either there is a heavy rng modifier to if a hit in the citadel area is a citadel hit, or the hit boxes in game are much smaller than that diagram would indicate on most ships.

It's the latter. Possibly both.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's way easier to move a captain than a WOT crew when the skills fit, but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a credits respec option.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Credits shorten the "retraining period" when you retrain a captain.

Yeah and they don't do anything when you try to respec him. Pay 25g per assigned skill point or live with them.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's pretty inaccurate at range and it doesn't help that it fires very few shells with that stingy 3x2 setup.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The whole thing with BCs is that they get big guns and good speed but don't have enough armor to protect against battleship fire.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I really hope it has a super-weak rudder and that they add it ASAP.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It lets you do one hell of a kiting maneuver if you have to drag things out on your flank.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I really appreciate that the co-op mode will keep players like that happily and obliviously isolated from the rest of us.

Not that your average BB is very bright.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Propagandist posted:

So I've seen people talk about how destroyers aren't great after tier 4-5, American cruisers aren't great after the Cleveland, and carriers just aren't that fun overall. Does the game just get less fun after tier 5, or are there good options past that?

How do you feel about battleships?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

WG are going to have a lot of trouble balancing torpedoes because at least half the playerbase have quite literally zero situational awareness.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

My experience with domination is that the winner is the side with less retarded battleships because most of them just hate playing the objective and instead just sail a slow wide safe circle around the map. And lose.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Also, the glacial map has 4 points for domination mode.

I thought that was an interesting change (with a good chance of backfiring of course, there's a reason you put down dom points in odd numbers) until I saw where they put it. What were they thinking?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't realize that the T10s were more expensive than in WOT. That's a hefty chunk of credits.

Comparing the US CA line with the US MT line I think I figured out how much a boats credit is worth though. Not that the economy is balanced yet.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The tricky part with comparing per-match earnings is that the average match time is longer and I'm not sure on exactly how much.

Experience income probably isn't fine-tuned yet, but they seem to be discounting research costs for the beta rather than increasing the earnings.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The thing I'm getting is that sometimes ships just aren't where they appear to be. Shellcamming a 36 cm slam-dunk into someone's deck only to get no hit at all is... unsatisfying :rubshands:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Alls I'm saying is that it's truly an outrage that they haven't added the Takao.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

That would last for all of three seconds before someone makes a mod that displays them in bright neon colors so that everyone's trivial to keep track of.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Looking at tier 7 cruisers, I'm kind of miffed. It looks like both ships have the same setup on a technicality. The ijn is 5x2 arrangement while the pensicola is 2x3+2x2. Effectively the same gun count. The ijn has one more in a forward charge, however the turrets are arranged that only two of the three can fire in a direct forward position. They also have the same turret speed and rof. The only difference I know off the top of my head is the ijn has torps. I didn't look, but I assume pensicola has better AA and perhaps more belt armor?

Japanese cruisers are made up of citadel hitzones and more citadel hitzones. They also use 25 mm guns for AA, which are less than fantastic.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Just pretend that the line ends with the Minekaze and play that until you can't stand yet. another. loving. match. on. god. drat. Fault. Line.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Vengarr posted:

The Mutsuki has .6 shots per second, which is a terrible 1:20~ish reload time and especially insulting since they're the exact same torpedoes the Minekaze has.

Also it's the same drat ship. The difference is 2x3 vs 3x2 torp launchers and a couple of rounding errors.

poo poo no it's worse than that, the Mutsuki even has a lower ROF and traverse on the main guns and comes with the wonderful option of going down to 2x1 12 cms for main armament in exchange for a few of those dreadful 25 mm AA guns.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty much all lines are a mess from tier 6 and up (lolfuso). DDs especially so.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The problem I have with the two-gun setup is that you have to yield pretty much all DD encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Vengarr posted:

If you take an S-shaped route you can fire off both tubes, dumping 16 torpedoes into the water. Then thrill as none of them hit because they get spotted 7km away.

More like before they're even in the water because CA launches are just that telegraphed.