Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

rossmum posted:

I am now getting 108ms ping to boats.

This is significant as I live about 80 miles north of Syndey and am lucky to get 180ms to a good west coast US server. I usually ping 230ms to NA west.

I don't know what they gently caress they've done but if they can do it in tanks too I will never ever say a bad word about WG ever again.

In the patch notes they say that they simply changed the way they calculate/display lag to be more meaningful. The actual lag you are experiencing is still the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

psy.Che posted:

Holy crap the Kongo is a good and fun ship... so fun that I'm scared of moving on to the Fuso.

Don't fear the Fuso, I actually like it better than the Kongo. Or at least I did - I haven't gotten into it in OBT yet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

psy.Che posted:

At least the stock version of the Fuso is making it quite hard for me right now - the low range kills it for me.

...Fuso? Low range? Buh? It was one of the longest-range, most accurate BBs in the game, and I was regularly citadeling stuff at 20+km. But I was playing with upgrades.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Krogort posted:

Atlanta :
Shortish range
Fast turret turn speed
Very high dps with HE
AP is useless
Good anti air
4 short range (4.5km?) torpedoes on each side
About 35kts top speed
No fighter/scout plane

Atago :
Longish range
Average turret turn speed
Average dps with HE
Good penetration with AP (against cruisers)
Average anti air
2x4 10km torpedoes on each side
About 35kts top speed
Launch a fighter plane

Both are kinda squishy, atlanta may have a slightly stronger Armor.

Two things:

Atago has 10k more HP than the Atlanta, and less squishy armor IMO.

AP is not useless on the Atlanta, but it is very situational. If you are at close range (<7km) with a cruiser, you can rack up a hilarious number of citadel penetrations and kill them quickly. This is particularly hilarious to do to Pensacolas.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquadronROE posted:

Did they really do World of Spaceships?

Yep! It was pretty neat. They took ship models from the usual anime suspects (Space Battleship Yamato, Arpeggio, that poi thing, etc) and let you drive them around in a big blue grid in space with asteroids as terrain instead of islands. Your guys shot bolts of plasma instead of shells, etc. Pretty nicely done.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquadronROE posted:

Nice! April Fool's joke?

Yeah, the cool part was they posted a screenshot on April Fool's day saying it was coming, and everyone was like, lol, good one. Then two weeks later they actually gave us the ships...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

demonR6 posted:

How cute, a ship whose deck pays homage to Donald Duck and has a bill.

Its next port of call is the Jersey Shore, where it will be painted orange and star in a reality TV series.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Night10194 posted:

Is there some way to make all my bullets fire at once instead of having to hammer the left mouse button?

Doubleclick fires all guns.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dark Helmut posted:

I play BBs and CVs a lot and conversely I'm bad with DDs and cruisers so I've got to get better with them since I need breaks from the hellish grind through the Colorado and Lexington.

I will try this "dance" that you speak of.

Is the Lexington bad? What's wrong with it? Is it just that it always gets shat on by IX-X boats?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Night10194 posted:

One thing to try is, remember how CAs will dodge your shots in a BB? How they suddenly change direction and can change speed fast? Do the things CAs do that most annoy you when you're in a BB and you will find joy.

I got three kills last night with a busted rudder just by moving forward and backward at the right moment, dodging two volleys of torpedoes in the process while 'steering' hostiles with my own torp volleys. If I could play like that all the time, I'd have an amazing KD ratio :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So just before Christmas I started getting a lot of client crashes:

http://imgur.com/YACnMtC

They're now happening every time I start the client, the instant my port finishes loading. To resolve this, I have tried:

- Uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers
- Rolling back to a previous video driver version
- Uninstalling and reinstalling WOWS

Does anyone have any other suggestions? The official forums have been, as one might expect, completely unhelpful. There do seem to be others out there getting this error, but not as consistently as I am getting it.

I'm running Windows 10 and have an nVidia GTX 460.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In case it ends up being useful to anyone, I was eventually able to fix my EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION issue by:

1) Uninstalling all Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable runtimes.
2) Uninstalling WOWS.
3) Accidentally installing WOWS from worldofwarships.eu, which would only allow me to select the EU server in the dropdown.
4) Uninstalling WOWS again.
5) Installing WOWS from worldofwarships.com.

:iiam:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Was just in a match with someone with the username SwiftBoatVetsFor911Truth. :tinfoil:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone had really bad, almost constant lag problems and disconnects for the last week or so? It showed up suddenly, and I've tried everything network troubleshooting-wise up to and including going over to someone else's house and seeing if I still have the problem there. It's like there's some routing bullshit between Seattle and Wargaming's NA servers or something.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm having an issue where every time I hit the "enter" key, WOWS switches between fullscreen and a tiny window. There doesn't seem to be a key binding for this, so I'm not sure why it's happening - does anyone know how to fix this? Google isn't coming up with anything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hazdoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6qUPb3OfD0

Ugh, I might spend more doubloons on respeccing this commander for turret traverse and fire chance, I dunno. If only I had a Mogami and not an ever increasing stockpile of NO CREDITS
though I did just find out today that you're capped at 999 of a signal flag, so now I'm gonna blow the repair cost flags on every match I guess

Take heart: having 999 of any flag means that you're an order of magnitude better at boats than I am. How "good" I am at boats seems to depend on my mood, blood sugar, phase of the moon, sunspot activity, and probably loving mind control lasers from the lizard people or something. Sometimes I'll be unstoppable, other times I'm like a bull in a slaughterhouse.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The pearl-clutching has already begun, I see :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Fortunately I was really in a WOWS mood over the weekend, so I poopsocked every single goddamn pearl mission except the CV one, which I probably won't do, because gently caress CVs. I got all the weeklies last week, too; it doesn't take very long to do the weeklies at all.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is the Yorck complete trash? Should I try to freexp over it?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fergus posted:

It was the ship that made me quit playing when the German cruiser line came out.
Since coming back, I've found that it's a decent ship. I switched out the turret rotate mod for the accuracy mod, which helped a lot for me.
I also fire almost exclusively HE now, unless I get within 10km of an enemy cruiser.
Don't expect much in the way of armor OR hp, it really is a spongey ship.

IIRC the turret rotation mod is only useful on the Yamato anyway.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDemon posted:

One thing to note is that the weekly trickle is less than the pearls available than the big bout of missions at the start, so if they calculated it right pearl generation should be lower this week, and lower still as more casual players pick up the easy starting missions and don't have any left.

I seriously doubt Wargaming put this much thought into it, though.

This; I only finished the last mission yesterday. I bet it will drop off now that all the other poopsockers are done, as well. (Hope, anyway, I have no idea whether the Kamikaze will even be any good, but whatever, I had fun sealclubbing with low-tier boats I hadn't touched in a long time.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

wdarkk posted:

I feel like the St Louis is way, way worse than I remember it being. Nobody gets close anymore and you have no speed whatsoever.

Right? I stopped using it and bought a DD instead; got a lot more kills a lot more quickly. St Louis feels pretty crappy now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TSBX posted:

Thanks Hazdoc, that was the reply I was looking for. Isokaze/Minekaze are my jam.

God I just want to make horrible dadjokes about everything iso- every time I see the word Isokaze. I torture people in match chat with them a lot.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I have a ton of respect for the Nagato and really enjoyed driving it. But I feel like I'm doing dramatically better in the Amagi in terms of overall team contribution - a lot more citadels and kills.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I hate it so loving much when I account for 99% of a ship's HP and some fuckhead spray-and-prays at the last second and gets the kill. When all these missions require kills.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

demonR6 posted:

I had two instances last night where the client crashed and a window popped up with a rather lengthy 'Uh-Oh seems like something is really hosed with the Big World client' which forced a reboot.

This has actually been happening to me since before Christmas and my complaints and support tickets about it have fallen on deaf ears. For a while it was happening every. single. battle. I was finally able to unfuck it temporarily (until the next WOWS patch) by uninstalling WOWS, then uninstalling every copy of the loving Microsoft Visual C++ redistributable, then reinstalling WOWS again. The WOWS installer seems - in an ability apparently unique to Wargaming - uniquely good at loving up your local VC++ redistributable package, and games keep insisting on installing their own versions over it, so whenever WOWS patches or you install a new game that installs a new runtime, this seems to reoccur.

And Wargaming, like a honey badger, appears to give no fucks. :v:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hooray! I'm average!

http://warships.today/player/1000042891/na/Kesper

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arishtat posted:

I believe that I have found the problem right here. :v:

I've tried to take antibiotics for it, but I just can't stop peeing fire.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Isn't that also the name of the childcare area at IKEA?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's awesome! My mom is actually from Jutland, another famous name in naval history.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I haven't played this game since... 2017-ish I think? (Carriers were still fairly newfangled things.) I'm starting to get the itch again. Game still good? Any ships that are really "new" and interesting? Are carriers still sky cancer? Are they fun to play yet?

I used to enjoy low-to-mid tier torp DD play and mid-tier cruiser and BB brawling. I generally got hull penetrated when i went above tier 8. Most of the hull trees weren't around when I played - Germany was fairly new, but I think the only Tier X ship I have is Yamato (yeah sue me sigh).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Honestly what's amazing there is how little has changed :V Thanks for the info.

Submarines will be an interesting wrinkle. They should be their own game, IMO. Surface traffic can be handled by bots.

As most of my captains are eligible for full respecs thanks to the various rounds of rebalancing, are there any perks that I should use/avoid? The "recommended perks" feature seems either potentially very helpful or rife with traps; spotting those traps is where I probably need the most guidance, as the perk system is very different now from what I remember.

Also, trees: I'm hearing Japanese sniper BBs and American fast BBs being talked about a lot. Any other trees worthy of serious attention? I've played almost nothing outside the Japanese and American lines. Looking for other standouts to drive towards as I seem to have a ton of free XP and credits.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
To me, DDs are torpedo boats. I hear they become gunboats in high tiers. I assume they mostly shoot other DDs and cruisers. Do they ever use AP? At what tier point do I stop thinking purely about lining up torpedo runs and start focusing on gunnery kills?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I'm in Seattle and no one ranks us highly

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stanley Pain posted:

:hmmyes: it's always a game of mitigating plane losses.

they used steam catapults even back then, right?

so it's a game of throwns

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

you win or you dive!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Schlieffen sex battery

the orgone reactor is operating at 110% efficiency ??