Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Adventure Pigeon posted:

The overhead mod is more than enough aim assistance for me. Especially since it makes it easy to deal with turning ships or ships coming in at a weird angle.

Seconding the overhead mod recommendation. If anything, it helps you more than the aimbot because you can actually dial in the range of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Shimakaze trip report: 5 knots makes a difference.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Should BB ever use HE even with this patch? My DDs are using HE almost all the time and I only use AP on my 8 Inch cruisers.

I can't figure the Wyoming out for poo poo, so I've been shooting HE and hoping for the best. Not really working out, but I've been having trouble penning other wyomings.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Gonna give it a try now with 3.1, interested to see the changes. So loading HE is the answer on the Cleveland, right?

Yes, the Cleveland's weak guns have stopped doing anything with AP. You can only go through cruiser armour at a dead 90 degree split.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Just like before the patch, HE hits on superstructures do a lot of damage. American battleships and Warspite feel this the most, and Japanese ships with weird superstructures avoid the worst of it. The Myogi is actually really hard to damage with HE, because it has no superstructure to hit.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I legitimately do not understand how to play the Cleveland. It is not at all fun for me to constantly miss because of shell travel time, or to close in with destroyers and other cruisers and get shredded

Instead I play the Myoko, which was a good ship at tier 8 and only had its torpedoes nerfed during the move. It's pretty great.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

jownzy posted:

You got out way earlier... I've got 4 BB5 and 2 BB6, and multiple CV5. Anyway, bunch of people still playing that nonsense.

I chose War Thunder over ever getting into World of Tanks. Am I correct to assume this game is everything Battle Stations Midway never became?

Err, I think if anything, there is less in this game than in Battlestations Midway.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The game has been tremendously unfun for me these last few matches. How are people doing damage in battleships? I've gotten basically no citadel hits lately, and I'm not sure what ranges are good for penetrating American battleship armour.

The new shell mechanics hit cruisers pretty disproportionately. They are the only ships big enough and poorly armoured enough that AP is still worth shooting, which results in damage output like last patch's.But they're pretty vulnerable to HE hits on the superstructure, and they can't recover fire damage by repairing. One fire doesn't do that much damage, but as soon as enough ships are shooting at you, everything is hosed.

And fire is still lovely for battleships too.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder if the people who decided battleships don't need to be fast, they need to fight and survive better than the enemy because they'll always come to you when you seize their ports, are the same people who decided everything that wasn't a nucear bomber was obsolete, and therefore the Navy should be scrapped and the Army reduced to airfield guard detachments.

No, those people had died by then. Also, none of that happened.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

So I've always wondered, were IJN DD turrets actually this slow or is this just a "balance" thing. IJN get great torps and concealment and USN DD's get guns guns guns?

Apparently, they were slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.7_cm/50_Type_3_naval_gun#Mountings

6 degrees per second would be a 30s 180* turn time.

The wiki article has a book source, at least. Of American destroyers, I found random web stuff that says 25 degrees per second. Which is about the same as what's in the game, golly gee.

The game has both time acceleration and distance shortening, but the turrets seem to traverse at the same rate relative to real time. In real life, the Japanese turrets were fine, except for AA.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

El Disco posted:

Does anyone else think it's strange that the Aoba has the best 8" guns (stat-wise) in the IJN cruiser line until Tier 10, even though they're all the "same" guns (203mm/50 type3)? The Aoba guns are an improvement over the Furutaka, but then they get a progressively worse rate of fire until the Zao (5.5 rpm on the Aoba, then 5.0 on the Myoko and 4.0 on the Mogami and Ibuki). I would have expected the stats on the same gun to improve steadily through the tiers.

The Aoba only has 6 guns, as compared to 10 on all the others. The Myoko has pretty bad gun arcs and traverse, and bad armor to compensate for the rof.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
For anybody who loves the Atlanta or the Cleveland, what is your average damage in those things?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I was gone for about a month, can anybody tell me about the patch, and whether or not the Shimakaze is still good?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Aesis posted:

Well I normally detect from 3~4 km, so only detecting inside 1 km is just not right.

If you see destroyers at all, you have to be wary of torpedoes. Just turn away.

Cruisers have much narrower arcs for their torpedoes. Be concerned if Japanese high-tier cruisers are steaming away from you, ahead on a parallel course. You're right in their firing arc. The light cruisers have narrow arcs that project perpendicular from amidships, so they're incredibly vulnerable if they try to launch a spread at you.

If you aren't distracted, dodging torps is easy. Spot a torp-carrying ship, turn away.

If you're in a destroyer, you can cut your speed and pilot your ship through the torpedoes.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Fubuki is a good ship.

Kagero is a sour ship, until you get the fast long lances.

Shimakaze is a good ship, but lol if you think you can swing a tier 10 game (in anything).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I'm with you

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

What's the goonsensus on japanese destroyers? I've got me the level 5 Minekaze, which seems ok. How are the higher tiers?

I am the destroyer man, and I say that they are good.

The Minekaze should be op as hell when fully upgraded. Its the fastest, it reloads torpedoes very quickly, and it has bullshit concealment. At tier 5, battleships are not really good enough to blow you out of the water, so you can pull off insanely stupid torpedo runs.

Mutsuki and Hatsuharu are pretty mediocre, but they get range and damage upgrades for their torpedoes. You need to start learning how to lead torpedoes, how to stay concealed, and how to position yourself for the best spreads.

Fubuki gets 9 torpedo tubes, but they're an uncomfortable compromise between range and speed. 20km torpedoes can be useful, but any player can dodge them at the speed they travel. Fubuki only goes 35 knots, which is quite slow now for destroyers.

Kagero gets 4x2 tubes, which reload like rear end, but gets upgraded torpedoes that run fast and long. You can make inescapable spreads. Still slow.

Shimakaze is a glorious 40 knot machine that carries 15 torpedoes. It's great fun, but at this point you don't really carry games. It's also probably absurdly expensive now.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wolfman101 posted:

Minekaze feels like a huge step down from the tier 4 DD. The guns might as well not even exist and torpedoes only work against bad players unless you get the drop on someone from < 2km away.

Go fast, go hard, use the 7km torps. The Minekaze is one of a kind.

wdarkk posted:

Triple 155s is where it's at for the Mogami.

Is this actually effective at tier 8 now? I find it hard to believe.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Psychosis 01 posted:

Can a Cleveland citadel another Cleveland? I haven't had any luck with that yet.

Cleveland shells have ridiculously low penetration. I figure everybody just shoots a ton of HE.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Basically you out range every other T8 cruiser, and fire and HE don't care about angle.

I really liked the 203s, and I was constantly doing like 70k damage with them. I haven't really played since HE got buffed, but I was pretty poo poo in the Cleveland in closed beta.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How do the ratings for a ship's stats correspond to the actual values? Does a ship with 100 survivability mean that ship has more HP than any other ship in the game?

What about things like AA or artillery; how exactly do they weigh different batteries that have varying rants and damage on the same ship ?

Pretty sure survivability also incorporates armor values.

Said armor values are no longer displayed to the player, of course. You used to be able to see how thick your turrets and citadels were.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I get one good shot off in one game, and paid for it with constant poo poo from then on. I'm in a Murmansk, and I nail a Phoenix with 4 citadels in a single shot, and then get another on the second salvo. He's down something like 18k health. He gets behind an island, and around the island are 2 Clevelands. I dodge for all I can, but there is no hiding from 2 of them.

Every game since has been terrible, capping things off was getting torped by a suicidal Minekaze that nailed me mid turn before a Cleveland could kill him. Think I'm done a few days.

I think the Aoba is pretty good, but I think the Cleveland is quite a ways ahead of it. With the way critical strikes and HE damage works right now, a Cleveland spamming HE will wreck the poo poo out of an Aoba. Plus those fuckers have a tiny citadel, I'm not sure I've hit one yet.

Cleveland citadels are indeed small, somebody posted a cool diagram of their layout earlier and it's like two rooms. Clevelands historically had a ridiculous complicated armour scheme but I don't know if that factors into the game at all.

I'm not sure I like this game anymore. The HE meta annoys me because I feel like skill matters a lot less than just having a quick reload and many guns.

I also can't afford to buy any ships now.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Quoting this, since it seems to have gotten missed.

I mean, you seem to be doing pretty well.

It gets harder (impossible) to kamikaze torpedo run enemy ships as you get higher in tiers. If you're not doing that, then the basic principles are the same.

Press P to disable your AA guns so you can be stealthier. Turn them back on if getting spotted doesn't matter. That's all I have.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well, I mean, my winrate is 43%. I don't often find great situations in which to make use of my DD abilities. Run up, spot the enemy, hang back, fire torpedoes at ranges way too far to have any real luck of hitting, die.

Destroyer play is pretty situational but there are few things that you can really do.

Figure out your concealment distance, and how effectively enemy ships can shoot at you around that range. At low tiers, cruisers and other destroyers will fire dodgeable shots, but battleships can shotgun you.

Figure out how to predict a maneuvering ship's course from the way the auto-lead indicator moves. You can still hit ships that try to turn away from you, depending on the particular situation you're in.

Figure out how to surprise enemy ships. Distracted ships don't dodge torps well. Unaware ships don't either. Destroyers shouldn't hang around right beside the battle line (Until the Kagero), but very near it so that there's always something else to shoot besides you.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

cheese posted:

I just don't get the Minekaze love. Those 10km torps are soooooo loving slow. You rely on awful Wyomings to drive in straight lines to get any hits and if you are going to Island ambush, you might as well do it in a Nicholas.

Use the fast ones instead. 7km range is still workable. So long as you sink your target faster than he sinks you, you're golden.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
What's the third level cruiser skill to take? Nothing seems very useful.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TehKeen posted:

My go-to is the repair party time reduction unless it's T8-10 where they get the damage repair ability in which case the extra charge skill isn't bad.

Dammit, I keep mistaking repair party for the health recovery consumable. Thanks.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Do you get more smoke charges as you go up the tech tree? I'm still working out the new skill tree.

Also, is the Arkansas Beta dogshit or is it just me?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Xae posted:

I would not be shocked if the Cleveland didn't have a Citadel.

I nailed a Cleveland with about 20 shots of 8inch AP at under 2km and no slope.

Not a single Citadel shot.

The Cleveland's citadel is a very thin strip that's far under the waterline. Battleships aren't accurate enough to hit it. If you're super close, your shots skim off the the top armor.

I've citadelled Clevelands in the god-machine Mogami. Usually at like 6-7 seconds of travel time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

UV_Catastrophe posted:

So, what constitutes decent damage/exp in a tier 5 DD?

After about 30 battles, I'm sitting at 22,400 average damage and 922 average xp per game, with a 25% win rate. I'm not sure if I'm just very unlucky or if I've caught some kind of pubbie cancer that is making me bad at botes.

Ah okay, that makes more sense (besides "first to 30" being a weirdly arbitrary metric).

20,000 is really low.

I can't help you, I only really played before this HE nonsense.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
lol pubbies are so full of poo poo they think they're admirals in this game.

On IJN cruisers, the Myoko gets an rof upgrade because it has pretty bad gun arcs and a lot less armor.

Ibuki is just a Mogami with extra torps, as far as I can tell. Also doesn't have 155s, if you're into that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

s1ppycup posted:

Ibuki *is* actually pretty bad for its tier, straight up. It's a Myoko with a worse rate of fire but (barely) better torpedoes. On paper, it sounds great -- Super Myoko! In practice, it just feels like you're playing a Myoko against tier 9's and 10's. They need to either buff the Myoko or make Mogami the tier 9. I'd happily play my Mogami instead.

edit -- speaking of tier swaps, they should switch the Pensacola and the Cleveland while they're at it.

No, it has better armor and gun arcs than the Myoko. Ibuki's actual problem is that it's not really any different from a 203 Mogami.

The real problem is that HE is so powerful that Mogami with 155s is the best ship in the game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Still not sure who figured that permanently destroyed weaponry would make for a fun game mechanic.

Don't know, I still don't know why it's in the game.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I didn't know this, that's great. I recently started the IJN cruiser line and thought the Tenryu and Kuma are both awesome so this is definitely what I will do.

Are there any other examples of cross-tech tree upgrades like this?

As far as I can tell, torpedoes are the only research modules that carry across ships.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Bitter Beard posted:

Sounds like this is more 'i'm going to bitch and cry online about this loving game' while they constantly play it whether wargaming.net makes a change at all.

Sorry to interrupt, going to go get my CV on while the getting is, relatively easy.

Did you know that people sometimes talk to each other, and complain to each other, for no real purpose at all?

I don't play this game anymore so I don't care. If you do want carriers changed, make a giant post in the forums about dpm or some poo poo. I managed to get DD torpedo reloads cut down with one so you can too.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The answer to that question being no. The Mogami is the last of the great IJN CAs. The Zao is strong, but the Ibuki is pretty average.

The Ibuki being a tier 9 Mogami with some nicer torpedoes mounted. A truly confusing choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The 155mm Mogami is the better version. Its basically a Cleveland if the Cleveland had good ballistics, more HP, more guns, and torpedoes.

You can keep saying this, but I faith that HE meta will get what's coming to it.

Night10194 posted:

Watching some of Jingles' stuff when he's in a BB and hearing him go 'Oh man! That fool! He's turning his front towards me while I have my broadside to him! I have the advantage now since all my guns are on him!' confirms Jingles is about as good at WoWS as he is at War Thunder.

Waiting for French battleships.