Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Oh for fucks sake. :doh: That's not what I needed.

Does the Gun Fire Control System give any meaningful increase to accuracy though?

I suppose you could try and test it? Do a couple of runs in a co-op battle shooting at an island or some such and seeing what the results are like.

Though that seems rather :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

Cleveland, Cleveland, Pensacola and some torpedo bombers vs Yamato. We win. Action starts at around 04:20 and we get into deep poo poo at around 07:00.

What I take from this is that going off by yourself is a bad idea. He should have stuck with the Nagato.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

World of Tanks: Amphibious Assault.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

EU key, US key. I'd happily accept either.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Insert name here posted:

It literally doesn't matter how good it actually is in game because all the German-obsessed fanboys will complain that it isn't good enough still

See: World of Tanks

Russian Bias strikes again.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Insert name here posted:

You know it occurred to me that there's literally no way they're not going to be selling the Enterprise at some point as a premium

What are you talking about? Wargaming are well known for their dislike of having money pour upon them.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Really not fond of the Nagato, especially not compared to the Fuso.

You lose damage, lose range, gain a tiny edge in maneuverability. Just not near as fun.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Magni posted:

How To Nagato:

1. Get the Secondary Battery Modification 2 upgrade
2. Get the Rudder Modification 2 upgrade
3. Get Advanced Firing Training on your captain
4. Don't spend the match sniping. Get stuck in and brawl people to death using your armor, fast rudder and the murderous short-range firepower of the 16-inchers and secondaries. :black101:

We seriously ought to just put this into the OP with how often it comes up.

You turn slightly faster than a fuso, with the same sized turning circle and any attempt to get close can and will end with you getting blown to bits as everyone is using the aiming mod. The Nagato's secondary armament is broadly comparable to the Fuso's while it's lacking the two extra turrets for those all important citadel hits and finally, declaring a ship "good" only when you can get a lvl 4 skill on it seems silly at best.

Basically? Those tactics work just as well for the Fuso as they do the Nagato while the Fuso has better long range firepower, more chance of killing things close in and far more generous match making.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Would be a fair buff to HE.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I'd keep the Cleveland but sell the Pensacola when you switch over to the New Orleans. The two halves of the American cruiser line have a rather different playstyle.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

cheese posted:

Destroyers are such a loving joke right now. Tier 6 carrier parked his fighters over my Minekaze, 50 seconds with my AA on and I finally shot one down. Literally took me out of the key part of the battle with the lowest effort.

I'm fairly sure CV's are killing the game at the moment. When it's a case of "oh god, they've got a higher tier jap carrier" and basically presuming a loss. Something is wrong.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Aoba is god drat hillarious. I don't think i'll ever get tired of just charging face first into BB's, tanking their poo poo then turning at the last second and torping them to death

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Jesus loving christ some of the people in this game.

Just watched a Fubuki get into a stern chase with a Midway and refuse, point blank, to fire his guns at all. Just ineffectually throwing torps at it from long range with no hope of ever hitting.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Roseo posted:

If I want to go cruiser, what's the difference between the US/Japan lines past Japan having torps and US having AA? I'm up to the Omaha but wondering if I should switch to JP.

Just do both and alternate?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Just got the +20 AA range on my new orleans Captain.

My AA range is now larger than the range by which aircraft see me. This is all manner of hilarity.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I think I shall be keeping the New Mex. By the end i was averaging 2k base a game. Mostly because of retarded Clevelands going "i has turrets on mah back, must shoot with all of them" and getting AP'd through their citadels for their stupidity.

Hammerstein posted:

Are us EU goons still using the 2PAC TS server ? Getting kinda lonely on EU.

Also, tell me more. Playing this solo gets kinda old.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Blinks, what's your in game name ? Mine is Panzerblitz, adding Rudi later tonight.

Blinks. Originally enough.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Burt posted:

Probably preaching to the choir here but get a Murmansk for your grinding needs. Two games today, I made over 7k exp and 600k credits. It is just beastly.

It's so very very good at seal clubbing, that i got two. Well... i kept my Omaha at least.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Holy poo poo. The Mogami is just... it's like someone took everything great about the Cleveland and gave it torps and more guns.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm horrible with the Omaha and I just want to get through it to the Cleaver. Help me UNDERSTAND!

The greatest thing to remember about the Omaha is that a full broadside is only 2 more shells than being frontal or back. 6 vs 8. As such there's no real reason to ever show your sides to the enemy ships. Also, the B hull is likely the better choice to the C. You're not going to be shooting down poo poo with that anemic AA anyway and losing a gun and half your torps isn't really worth it. This will hold true even when the patch hits as a little extra range also won't make up for it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Kerrow posted:

How bad are the Colorado and Pensacola on the Furutaka scale of sucking-the-life-out-of-you-everytime-you-hit-the-battle-button? :v:

The Pensacola is a fine ship. Good AA and reasonably good guns if not quite to the spammyness of the Cleveland. It's got a way shorter angle though so they arrive sooner. It's got weak sides though, so don't show them if you can help it.

The Colorado is just bad especially given your coming from the New Mex into it. It's slow, it's guns are inaccurate, and its just generally all around "bleh".

The Colorado is the price you pay for the North Carolina which I've found to be a murder machine in comparison especially as you'll be fighting a lot of Atago's who all seem to cherish showing you their sides and getting Citadeled to gently caress for their troubles.

Night10194 posted:

I've just researched the Furutaka.

How awful is it?

I free xped past it rather than use it. On the bright side, the Aoba is good, the Myoko is very good and the Mogami is a Cleveland with more guns, torps and better concealment..

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 19, 2015

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ah, the Murmask. Gotta love it.

Well, that and the fact all the cruisers i came across seemed to cherish trying to broadside me.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I think someone got a little too impressed with their Montana. They decided to try going broadside to my NC at les than 10km's. 5 Citadels later, no Montana.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Getting really tired of the sheer bullshit that manual torp dropping allows.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Yeah. Our CVs in the last game were both Strike Bogues and we were up against 2 T6 Japanese carriers. I did my best, took out two Clevelands, but there's nothing a New York can do without air cover against 3 Torp Bomber squads.

I just want to know what Wargaming were smoking when they thought that was a good idea. It's killing my interest in this game like nothing else.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Krogort posted:

Advanced fire training for the Mogami

You'd want the faster firing/AA from tier 1 and the faster turning from tier 2 first.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Night10194 posted:

It cannot be overstated how superior the Aoba is to the Furutaka.

The Myoko is even better.

Then you get to the Mogami and start going "...should i even continue? How can anything be better than this"

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

http://gfycat.com/ImpishVacantBengaltiger :stare:

I think I'm starting to come around to the New York. Had a round with 119k damage and 5 kills.

New York is a drat good boat, it's just kind of outshone by the New Mexico which is a loving murder beast. Kinda like the Omaha and the Cleveland really.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Finally got to Platoon with someone on the EU server. That made matches far more enjoyable, even losses weren't near so irritating.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I find myself rather vastly enjoying ranked battles. Helps i've got a very skilled Cleveland and Nagato for maximum pubby destruction.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

So I've had a load of games in my T8 Amagi now and am feeling pretty annnoyed by Tirpitz. For one thing, there's an average of 4 of them in every match so I'm sick of the sight of them the same way in my Fuso I was sick of seeing Clevelands. At least with Cleveland though, I had no problem destroying them in my Fuso.

But the Tirpitz just straight up seems better than Amagi. I have only ever citadelled one. They have more armour, HP, range, speed and torps. The AA argument is moot, as a Montana player put it when comparing to Yamato, it might make the difference between 1 extra plane shot down. Its pretty close to P2W. I would say put an equal skilled player in all 3 of the T8 BBs and the Tirpitz wins every time. NC and Amagi seems a real nice balance IMO.

Question is, will I see less of them if/when I get to Izumo? Even more worryingly with everything I've heard about the Izumo, can it take a Tirpitz on 1v1 and more often than not (again assuming equal skill players) come out on top? I know an Iowa will beat a Tirpitz no problem.

Fairly my feelings on it. Before the Tirpitz i was going to keep the NC, now... i'll dump it after i get the Iowa. If i want a Tier 8 BB i'll grab the Tirpitz, it's just generally the better ship.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

warcake posted:

Is there any one playing EU botes? It sucks playing by yourself

Blinks, on the EU server.

There's also a load of goon channels. I tend to hang about in Bulbaros'

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Basically the Pro's of the US cruiser line are rather negligible.
Somewhat better armour and AA isn't really that great compared to more damage (more guns) and, well, more damage (torps).

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 21, 2015

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Their major downside is that they are basically all citadel.

I've never really noticed that. Yeah, if you go side on you'll suffer for it, but that's true of most anything really.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

jownzy posted:

Before I waste exp, leveling the Ranger, should I just keep the default plane arrangement 1-1-1?

I know DB's get stronger at this tier, but they aren't stronger than 6 torpedoes.

The problem you're going to run into is called the Hiryu
The Hiryu gets a 2/2/2 loadout because, well, Wargaming hates the Ranger.

Your single fighter then dies to his two and he proceeds to gently caress you up in the air for the rest of the game while still having more than enough torps and DB's to gently caress surface ships.
So... pick your poison

3DB's and 1 TB and spend your games running from fighters
2 Fighters and 2 DB's and have little effect upon the surface fight.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Orgytron posted:

Currently grinding New York and I started looking at New Mexico stats. Is there anything it brings to the table that the NY doesn't already do? It doesn't look like that great of an upgrade. Its range and maneuverability are both worse, for example.

12 Barrels as opposed to 10. You also don't need to show your sides to get all of them on a target unlike the New York with it's central turret.

Like Hazdoc says, it's an excellent ship. I kept two tier 6 ships, the Cleveland and the New Mex and of the two, it's likely the New Mex which is the more murderous.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

PirateBob posted:

I haven't tried the New Mexico yet. I absolutely loved the Fuso though. Would you say that the New Mex is categorically better? :raise:

I'd say they're both good. Maybe leaning towards the New Mex because of it's better armouring and better angling when it wants all it's turrets on a target.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

psy.Che posted:

PS: thanks god I'm not the only one doing terribly in low tier German cruisers. Although it gets somewhat equalized by the fact that _everybody_ seems to be in a German cruiser right now.

The tier 4 german cruiser was a loving horror show. Never hated a ship so much as i did that thing. Tier 5 seems decent, don't know about higher. They seem very fragile though.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aesis posted:

Only because I'm playing fully upgraded Iowa :unsmith: But I haven't played for about a week because game got boring.

Know the Iowa, love the Iowa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Killed seven ships in my Iowa.
Citadels all over the place.

Looks like BB's are back in business.