Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Insert name here posted:

I need to get used to doing manual drops. Both of those I just told my squadrons to attack and it worked out fine cause both of them were too busy focusing on shooting me that they weren't doing heavy manuevering. Every time I've done a manual drop so far I've hosed it up like an idiot like giving the attack order too close to where the bombers are flying so they have to fly circles downwards in order to drop and by the time they do the ship has moved away.

Please don't trigger me :whitewater: (I don't have an invite code sorry I just applied like a pleb)

One wonders how much of the old Navyfield crew will be getting into this. I put unbelievable amounts of time into that awful game, and I'm still a sicker for naval combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, it's going to be an awful f2p grindfest but I really want to play this game. This beta invite, whenever it comes, is going to be very bad for my sleep schedule. I am just a huge sucker for ships.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
God, reading various War in the Pacific AARs is making me really want to get into the beta. I don't care that it's a grindfest, I played 10,000 battles in Navyfield. I just want my battleships and CAs.

Edit: oh no, I can buy a stupid gold/consumable/ship bundle and get into closed beta today? This is really not a good thing to find out.

Velius fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 26, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Any tips for a tanks and Navyfield veteran just starting out? So far I'm doing well but it's mostly luck and familiarity with the genre. As far as aiming points and when to use AP or HE I'm winging it.

Also are they going to have Japanese gun destroyers like the Akitsukis sometime?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
How do I remove the aim mod? I'm feeling fairly capable these days, and it'd be nice to be able to attribute that more directly to me than a mod.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I just realized that the game has a bot mode and I've been playing it sometimes. I just figured I was seeing the same players over and over again. Boy am I a moron.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I think cruiser game play is my favorite right now, but that might be because I have a Myoko and they seem very overpowered for their tier. The Mogami was my favorite Navyfield ship (aside from the M, O, and P Projects that aren't even close to implemented yet) and I look forward to having it.

I'm getting into carriers now, though. The Ryujo is pretty fun so far. Being terrified of American fighters is pretty novel. Is there any point where the Japanese fighters can hold a candle or are they always glimpsed by the four plane flight groups to the extent they might as well not bother?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

jownzy posted:

After previously playing Navyfield :psypop: for like 7 years, and dreaming of a game seemingly like this one, is there any other tangible benefits to buying into closed beta? Do they reset your premium time when open beta starts?

I don't have as much time for video games as I used to, but really liked what I've see thus far in videos. Seems like the Russian Bias is the way to go for the DD selection.

Toot toot, to my former Greenlandish countrymen.

I'm having fun in it. The Soviet destroyer is 30 bucks or something seems fun and gets you in, plus a month of premium, etc. I got the crappy Japanese one and don't regret it just to get in.

Then again not only did I play Navyfield to the H-39 (people who didn't play Navyfield have NO IDEA how much time that entails), I also have 11000 battles in world of tanks, so my judgement is probably in question.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So where is this torpedo jamming skill? I've just gotten my Ryujo, and last battle 3 different cruisers/battleships seemed to be able to make my torps go into crazy wide arcs at will. Is there a cooldown? I don't see the skill in the list so I'm fairly confused.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What is the deal with dive bombers? The whole point of them is to improve accuracy by diving onto the target, but in this crazy game the pilots of the diving airplanes have to lead the ships moving a tenth the speed because they can't adjust mid-dive. Do you really need to try and either do zero damage or score one hit with the auto target or try and predict the tiny, alt targeting reticle over where the ship will be in 10 seconds? Is there some poorly documented feature I don't know?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Vorkosigan posted:

http://wowsdb.info/ship/bismark

Datamined stats for the Bismark. Subject to change, obviously.

If Bismark is tier 8, then I guess we're getting two H ships for 9 and 10. I wonder what they're going to do for the tier 10 gun system, the 18 inch variant? Or the comedy 20"?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

xthetenth posted:

I'd doubt 20". The Yamato pushed the bar uncomfortably high already.

I haven't played high tier battleships yet, how much does the shell size race influence things? Can a Yamato reliably citadel an Iowa from a wider set of ranged, for example?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So is the Mogami the ideal cruiser? With the 15.5 cm guns it does 5000+ damage per salvo with HE, and is a crazy firestarter. I don't see a great reason to use the 8" guns since they won't penetrate battleships anyway and I sacrifice so the firing rate so much.

Velius fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 27, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm trying to figure out when battleships become fun too. Fuso basically fires a shotgun of shells. You're slow, inaccurate, and incredibly vulnerable to everything.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

The good ships are tiers 1-3 :ssh:

Lies, all the angled smokestack cruisers are high tier. And that's the most important factor.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What is wrong with me, I'm already getting all stat-obsessed. I am admittedly on a kind of crazy stream of wins, but it can't possibly last and isn't really my doing.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don't mind the grind at all, so far. I may change my mind once I hit some bad ships, but the IJN cruisers don't really have any stinkers, and I'm having a blast in the Kuma.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

RennZero posted:

Ha! Sucks to be you, my winrate is like 40% and I just don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

In 25 battles I have 22 wins (all solo pubbing) I feel like I'm being set up for some sort of mammoth karmic retribution.

Velius fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 27, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, Karma is biting me in the rear end in the Furutaka. Went from 10 games 10 wins in the Kuma to 3/11 in the Furutaka. I'm not playing badly, but the combination of bad speed/agility and horrendous DPS makes it feel like the Kawachii all over again, rather than a beautiful IJN cruiser. The only saving grace is the angled funnel, and I'm getting close to the point where that just isn't enough, anymore.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Halfway through Furutaka. Holy poo poo is it ever painful, especially right now since I'm ahead of the curve and it's usually matchmakered into the high end of the team. I'm not used to being both high tier for a match and in a crippled ship when I usually can positively influence the round outcome.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
If there's one thing World of Warships does well, it's making sure the different ship classes remain useful over the range of tiers. I love cruisers and am bad at destroyers but will probably enjoy grinding up all lines eventually.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'd say carriers actually do play close to Navyfield, since the game gives you a top down view when you're doing plane stuff. Right now is a good time to start the Japanese CV lines because nothing had AA at low level and not that many people are doing the fighter focused US lines yet.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
If he played Navyfield seriously, no grind could possibly compare. *Grinds PVE mission 100 times over five hours, tries veteran conversion ten times, fails every one, now worse than when I started*

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus. Are XP/credit gains and costs inflated compared to Tanks or something? Because that's like four amazing games in a premium tank. No wonder they don't let you share silver between games.

The Kuma is really, really good. On paper it's undergunned but it fires incredibly quickly, it's speedy and small, and agile besides. I carried a ton of matches in mine, it's perfect.

Unfortunately the current game seems to favor smaller calibre guns and HE, so the Furutaka and Aoba suffer because they're low tier CAs, so they do poor dps, and aren't fast enough to influence round outcomes anyway.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
AHHHHHHHHHH! I was about to drop 4 more torps on the last enemy battleship when time expired.

Velius fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 6, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Well, Deutschland was pretty old and slow, so I'm not sure how it would hold up as a tier 10... I do like the idea of a high tier cruiser with bigger than 8" guns but it all depends on how War gaming do the stats.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Fun battle in my Kongo. First time taking it out, too. Ended it by ramming a Langley when I had 36000 HP left (he did 33k in the ram). The kongo is a breath of fresh air after the Myogi. Not that excited about Fuso. I just prefer the 4 gun battleships.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 26, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I don't know when German ships are added, but if the P Project, O Project, or Scharnhorst are in as high tier cruisers I am going to be compelled to grind them immediately. I spent far too long playing Navyfield to not neglect those ships in this game. (to put into perspective, it took probably thousands of battles to just get into a Bismarck or the equivalent O Project II. Each one probably fifteen minutes. I don't want to know how much time was spent on NF during my graduate school years.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Holy gently caress I just had an amazing game in the Aoba. Last battle before I get Myoko, and my team is horrible. Ends up being 1 v 5 with me vs a 2 destroyers, a Myogi, Omaha, and Wyoming. Long range torps take down the Wyoming and Omaha, and I gun down one destroyer before killing the Moygi from full health with a torp spread at point blank while gunning down the Minekaze and dodging torps. 7 kills, 3050 base xp. I only did about 100k damage total though.

So far the cruiser torpedoes are pretty damned effective, especially when you're firing them at extreme range while fleeing. Not enough people are wary of them, at least in the intermediate tiers.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 2, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The Furutaka is horrible. That said, every single other cruiser in the IJN line is great, so one stinker, however awful, isn't world ending.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, the grind in this is pretty serious. Myoko to Mogami with premium and confederate flags is looking like around 40-50 twenty minute battles, and I'm pretty sure I'm getting better than average battles. I understand the freemium model but I think they had the xp requirements more in line in tanks. Then again, module unlocks etc did have a significantly larger role in that...

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just applied as Velius.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The grind is nasty, but this game definitely scratches an itch for me. When it's good it's really good, and it's very satisfying to salvage a bad team and end up with 6 kills. I guess tanks was similar, but something about the damage model etc in warships makes it more enjoyable. Maybe that getting citadels is more of a skill game than just knowing where to penetrate in tanks. Or I just like ships more, which given my Navyfield history wouldn't be surprising.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So far today I have three wins, three draws, and one loss in my Myoko. Something needs to change in how they measure wins because high level battles seem to be 30% draws or more.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is Marblehead even worth grinding for? I have a Murmansk and Atago, and Marblehead looks like another Omaha variation?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Night10194 posted:

Whenever I drive my Cleveland, every single enemy I encounter drops everything to kill me over any other target.

It's kind of hilarious.

Clevelands are hard to kill with tiny citadels and extremely effective against everything. I know that I prioritize them over almost anything else in my Myoko. Usually cursing about how my 8s really should be citadeling but aren't.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Even though I know they'll be terrible, whenever they add the German ships I'm going to grind out the M, P, and O classes just because of Navyfield nostalgia. Who knows, maybe they'll even be useable if they're speedy in spite of the lack of armor and guns bigger than 15".

One thing I miss from Navyfield in Warships is the ability to mount other guns from standard. In NF you could fit faster firing, shorter range variations of guns, or swap them out entirely for different configurations. One of the common ones was replacing the 2x15" turrets on the Bismarck with 3x11" guns, since the latter had better range for some reason. You could also decrease armor in exchange for higher speed.

I guess with Warships being random teams doing that would provoke rage when some jerk stripped the armor and guns from a Yamato as a gimmick. But I have fond memories of mounting a single 11" gun on destroyers, that sort of thing.

Velius fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 1, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Mr. Peepers posted:

This is the issue I'm having with the New York: http://gfycat.com/DismalContentChrysalis

3 AP shells into the lower hull of a Wyoming, 3300 damage. I can't tell what I'm doing wrong here.

Those shells look like they might be too low for a citadel at that range. When you're at long range aim high enough to plunge through the deck. If you aim too low the shells either don't penetrate the citadel because they miss it, or they bounce off the angled belt due to the angle they're falling at.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DiHK posted:

Where are the South Dakota class BBs? I grew up in/around Mobile, and I would pay a fairly silly amount of money for a premium Alabama. Maybe not for a sister ship though. I know it's early on but seems really odd that they haven't implemented any(?) of the museum ships.

So that last patch wiped that mod package I installed, do I just reinstall it or do I need to wipe out old files first or anything like that?

The trouble is the progression from North Carolina to South Dakota to Iowa is pretty incremental and not in keeping with the current tiers of battleship power. South Dakota is better protected than North Carolina with the same guns, and Iowa is a faster South Dakota with slightly better guns. I think they'd have a hard time making a legitimate case for the tier 7 to 10 progression with those ships leading to Montana.

Even putting South Dakota as a premium probably wouldn't work well, because it's one of the better battleship designs with no weaknesses (and they usually don't do premiums that way, especially at high tier). Best case they gimp the AA, and that's no fun for anyone. What I would guess happens is they split it into slow battleships and fast battleships trees, placing NC, SD, Iowa and Montana as the tier 7-10 in the fast class, put Colorado, one of the NC up gunned paper ships at 8, and go with the 18" Montana analog at 10.

This way the tier 8 battleship measuring stick is reduced, and they can stick Alabama or something as a premium tier 8. Or maybe they make tier 9 in Warships the high cost high reward premium tier like 8 was in WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DiHK posted:

Doesn't the Atlanta cross that line for cruisers? I know that's a slightly different ballgame...

Atlanta are fantastic AA platforms and can do horrible things to destroyers and unaware CLs, but against CAs and battleships they're more annoying than a threat. They're virtually unarmored and have pretty short range. I know they're practically piñatas to Japanese cruisers past the Furutaka.