Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Polikarpov posted:

Trying to guess what paper ships are can be hard.

Attaching a name to a ship that only ever had a barcode on some blueprints should be relatively straightforward though, given that the naming conventions for all classes in all the naval nations is well known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

You'd think that, but of the historically unnamed Japanese ships (a battleship, a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser) all are named after mountains like heavy cruisers. They also misnamed the Tenryu class for some reason. :spergin:

Looking forward to the Lion-class HMS Oliver Cromwell and the Fletcher-class USS Hampton Roads :negative:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Any word on NA?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I didn't need to repply it seems, sailing in one of the beta weekends gets you an automatic invite, patching up now

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

I also love the matches like the one that is just finishing up where one of our battleships decided the best course of action was to drive headlong into the enemy. Yes you are highly armored relative to the other ships in tier, but the enemy ships of the same tier and even a tier below do have enough punch to still penetrate said armor unlike a properly angled maus.

Immediately afterwards this player posted on the forums that battleships are terrible and need serious buffs to be competitive and historically accurate

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SaltLick posted:

I take it back carriers are actually fun if you do a cross torpedo run and trap a bb in it. i am somehow topping the charts in score but i imagine a lot of that is just shooting down other planes

Shooting down other planes is often pretty important - carriers have limited supply and once they're gone, that's all, which is why your chosen plane load out and tactics are a lot more important than just loading torp bombers, putting them in the air and firing and forgetting at a random ship over there.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Harik posted:

I hope it's not breaking the NDA to say I'm loving the poo poo out of this game.

NDA is over

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rorac posted:

As long as you can time the attacks properly, there is pretty much no way to escape that. Even if you fail to kill the ship outright you'll cripple it for sure and it'll likely get picked off in short order.

The best a well driven and fast battleship can do, if she reacts before the torps hit the water, is comb one set, which forces her to eat the other. Destroyers can handily dodge both sets and keep on stepping if they're remotely observant. Not really tried it in Cruisers, but I imagine it's going to be halfway in between based on ship agility and your own vigilance and reaction times.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I want to say the Russians did this, and also used KV1 turrets on some ships if I remember my reading correctly.

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Wasn't this for something like shallow water patrol boats?

It was, and it was T-34/76 turrets rather than KV-1

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PirateBob posted:

Is there realistically any difference between playing with 200 ping vs playing with 50 ping in this game?

I don't know, but what I can tell you is that years of learning how to lead everything when shooting in tanks at 300 ping has been outstanding training for botes

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

sauer kraut posted:

Is there a cruiser or destroyer that ditches all its ineffective popguns for lots of flak and torps instead?

The Japanese tier X has 3x mid mounted 5 torp launchers that can send all 15 out either side, a few of the American destroyers get around that many but have them split into port and starboard launchers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

xthetenth posted:

The only good use I've found against capital ships is using dive bombers to light fires so they burn their repair kits and can't fix floods.

That's why I use my Japanese destroyer pop guns with HE as much as possible on the way in, hoping to get a blaze going before I set the torps off

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SuperSix posted:

What are the pros of the American destroyers vs. the Japanese torp monsters?

None, they all have massive survivability issues despite the islands and smokescreens, and just when you think you;re having a good game a pubbie will get all world of warplanes on you and drive straight in for a mutual ram kill after straightlining from spawn.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

pun pundit posted:

I'm less than 20 games in and already in love with destroyers.

I'm the opposite, I hate driving them. The number of times I've been single shotted or single salvoed today before getting within torpedo range is unreal. Destroyers are like a couple of the light tanks, really fun when nobody is shooting at you. I think they need a survivability buff, they're far and away the weakest torpedo delivery system in the game right now.

Cruisers on the other hand, I'll take some more of that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SuperSix posted:

Have you played the IJN destroyers?

I have a Clemson an a Wakatake. The Wakatake likes to explode just as I'm turning to put the target in my torpedo arc, the Clemson likes to get shot at before I've even seen anything.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Try not getting shot. It's actually pretty easy.

No, it isn't. Certainly not from people who actually have some notion of how to shoot in this game, and doing turns and S patterns to dodge fire only works at long range.

The Tatsuta cruiser is so much better than the Wakatake destroyer at every single thing it's not even funny, all it lacks is a smokescreen.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Prav posted:

Evasive maneuvers don't help against players that can't aim!

True, but they help against people who can aim at long range, when the shell travel time means you get enough time for the steering to work

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Fart Car '97 posted:

My opinion of battleships:

They're really good

That they are.

Destroyers feel like a class of ship who turned up and were told their primary enemy wasn't coming, so go find something else to do. Placeless. Still gonna rip through the alphabets, Tribal, Battle and Daring class ships when they get added though, because :swoon:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

^^ "Don't get shot at" is just as stupidly useless advice in botes as it is tanks, it's a combat game, you're going to get shot at, and if you're not getting shot at you're sitting in a spot that is totally useless to your team like CHAI sniping... or you're a Rhoomba. gently caress Rhoombas.

Oh hey that explains why the Tatsuta is better than the same tier destroyer, should have guessed from looking at it - it is a destroyer. It's just wearing a cruiser shirt because it was a destroyer leader, so in game it's getting the best of both worlds.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 14, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Japanese cruisers are just as fragile as destroyers though.

Yeah, no they aren't, not the ones I've driven anyway.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You are complaining that people are shooting you and damaging you when you sail your unarmored ship directly in front of their guns.

If I don't drive out where their guns can shoot at me I can't really shoot at them either can I?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

I managed to catch a destroyer with a full broadside of HE from a St Louis. That was pretty neat. I finally feel like I'm catching on this game.

A St. Louis will basically instapop any destroyer it hits without needing critical damage

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Where are you going wrong here?

What I'm doing is sailing destroyers - where are these distracted ships? When I get anywhere near torpedo range enemy ships actively abandon whatever they were shooting at to primary the destroyer before it fires, about 7 times out of 10. A slow firing battleship that misses the first salvo can be killed, but a battleship that hits mostly kills in the first hit, and cruisers get to fire a couple times first.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The US has enough battleship classes to make two full lines of constructed warships, I count 17 classes reaching as far back as the St. Louis cruiser was built. Add to that the Alaskas, the unbuilt Montana and the 1920 South Dakota and you've got enough for two full trees plus a couple premiums, just missing something to go with the Montana at tier X

Same as British destroyers really

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pimpmust posted:

I'm a little surprised that the American carrier tree ends at the Essex rather than the Midway, with a gap in the IX spot. In the old blog spot the Essex had the IX spot and the Midway the X spot, is this change temporary until the Midway is modelled and done? That preliminary tech tree had the V: Bogue and no sign of the Saipan though...

The blatantly obvious missing ship and tier 9 candidate is the Yorktown class, but whether that's what actually happens or not is anyone's guess. Pretty sure those guns are secondaries, I recall forgetting about them and nearly losing a badly damaged cruiser in embarrassing circumstances in the beta weekend :v:

Now that I've reached tier 4 I've found the problem with cruisers - there are battleships everywhere, and you just can't touch them. I remember on the last beta weekend I took my St. Louis out and soloed a really shittily driven Kawachi and Myogo at the same time, albeit badly damaged by the end; holy poo poo does that not work anymore, shells from both of those ships just tear the St Louis apart and you do gently caress all in return.

Also in spectator mode I watched a destroyer, tier 3 or 4 I wasn't able to recognise, get the drop on a distracted Kongo coming out of smoke and around an island - it was critted to death from full hp in 3 volleys from the Kongo secondary battery, and only just launched a torpedo spread before exploding. Three of six torpedoes connected for about 1/4 of its hp plus flooding iirc.

Edit: I think what I'm saying is there's a serious imbalance towards battleships that needs addressing somehow, at least in the tier 3-6 region.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TCD posted:

Also I just want to unlock the Kongo. But really, that DD didn't get the drop if it's tubes weren't loaded that was just poor driving.

His tubes were loaded, he was hit twice while pulling around to aim and a third time just after firing.

Secondary batteries.

The closed beta forums tell me they changed damage models between the beta weekends and close beta, and the difference is enormous. Battleships desperately need a nerf that makes them less effective against destroyers and cruisers, without making them less effective against torpedo bombers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

PirateBob posted:

Is it possible to manually fire the deck guns or anything?

And how do you lock the guns in a specific direction (apart from holding right-click)?

I can't recall it exactly, you'll have to hit F1 when its back up, but you can lock the guns pointing at a specific point on the water so they turn to point at it at all times, and you can lock them so that they always point in the same direction relative to your ship.

If by deck guns you mean secondary batteries no, they fire automatically. Or don't, because you can turn them off to improve stealth by pressing p

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TCD posted:

The kongo's secondarys have a range of 4KM. As a cruiser, you totally hosed up if your that close to a BB and hope to make it out. That's totally the wrong game play to nerf a BB so that a cruiser can go toe to toe with it.

You're getting confused, it was a destroyer that close, not a cruiser, presumably with short range torpedoes.

It's the main batteries on battleships that annihilate cruisers incredibly fast, and at much longer ranges.

My Myogi is already death incarnate to any destroyer or cruiser within 15km and only ever concerned with other battleships and torpedo bombers, I can't wait to get a Kongo.

vv That's a small enough difference that it can be eaten by lag

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 15, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TCD posted:

Well, that is the point of a BB...

In single salvos? Really not a lot of fun for the smaller ship drivers, which is why people on the beta forums are saying high tier battles are more or less all battleships with a couple carriers and one or two of the others. I'll see for myself once I get a Fuso or something else that high, as it is I'm tier 4 across the board bar Japanese destroyers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TCD posted:

Yeah, the cruisers should be flak batteries to help keep torp planes off the BB as well as using it's guns to help kill incoming DDs. They don't have the armor or the salvo weight to really kill BBs unless they grouped and attack in mass. If played as a support vessel, they do well. If you're trying to lone wolf it and lead attacks against BBs, well, that's not going to end well and the game shouldn't be balanced around that gameplay either.

Who needs cruisers to be flak batteries when high tier battleships and carriers already have such powerful flak? They're not needed there, they can't fight battleships solo or in groups, all they can do is fight other cruisers and destroyers - and if nobody else is driving destroyers or cruisers because they're so woefully underpowered compared to battleships, what else is there to do but take a battleship or a carrier?

Battleships just have way, way too much going for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

That's weird, here's my experience with cruisers so far: they own a lot at pretty much everything.

My experience is that once you get past tier 3 battleships are the best at doing everything except fire torpedoes and shoot down planes, and that's only because they don't have any torpedoes, or any AA guns yet

Pimpmust posted:

Any Russian navy experts?

Not an expert, but even taking the white Russian fleet into account the Soviets don't remotely have enough ships to fill a tree without a healthy dose of fantasy. Between the end of the revolution and the end of world war 2 the Soviet Navy might as well not have existed, and even the ships they did have were often ex-something else bought second hand from somewhere else. A handful of modern destroyers and cruisers is about it, and all of them around tier 5-7 in strength at best.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

6 battleships versus 3 battleships, 2 cruisers an a destroyer turns into 6 battleships versus 3 battleships before the other three ships ever reach firing range

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

axelord posted:

Only because the DD and CL engage the Battleships head on. If the cruiser and DD wait for their Battleships to engage first then they have a chance.

No, they really don't. If they hang behind the friendly battleships they're doing nothing while on the losing side of a 6v3 outside of their own range, if they advance inside gun range the enemy battleships switch targets and kill them all in about a minute and a half.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The tier 3 IJN cruiser is actually a better destroyer than the tier 3 IJN destroyer, even without the smokescreen. The tier 4 is pretty pants though, same weak guns as a destroyer but unlike the previous one has none of the agility. I'm on the long grind to the tier 6 now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

I liked the Kuma ok, it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

Though they're both floating fluoro paper targets in a battleship game, the Phoenix seems to be better at tier.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stevefin posted:

^Tier 3 cruisers are normally ww1 ships, when the thought that planes could threaten a warship was laughable, Your not going to get any proper AA till around Tier 5

Which is why all the hull and gun upgrades are historically accurate too, matching desperate early war attempts to bolster AA defence by ripping off ineffective WW1 and interbellum AA guns and even main gun turrets to replace them with as many 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors as could fit without causing the ship to capsize, and in the USN at least rapidly pressed into service the 5"/38 dual purpose gun.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 16, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Eej posted:

Were beta keys like instantly assigned if you mashed the sign up button as soon as it started this weekend or is everyone just in from previous beta weekends?

I think most people here got in from previous sessions

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The River-class frigate, C class light cruiser and Scott and Shakespeare class Destroyer Leaders would appear to be Royal Navy tier 1 options

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mazz posted:

Was there any benefits of being a WoT beta tester or anything?

sauer kraut posted:

Closed beta players got a 75mm tier 5 Sherman with a lovely Diesel engine, alpha testers a KV-220 but iirc that was in Russia only.

NA Tanks alpha testers got a Panzer V/IV Alpha, which was identical to the Panzer V/IV from the medium pre-order apart from the name and an A on the side; now I think the Alpha also lacks the turret schurzen, but I've not seen one in forever to say for certain. I think I was one of the few people who got the medium preorder, most goons got the large preorder with the infinitely more useful M6A2E1 'Clownshoe' - the Panzer V/IV is more or less worthless outside of being a collectors item.

NA closed beta testers who played 1000+ beta battles got the M4A2E4 which many immediately sold, but I kept because I never sell a gift/premium. It's a serviceable tank.

I was a Warplanes alpha tester, and I think I managed to get the alpha reward plane, which was the Me.210, while closed beta testers got the XP-77 and open beta testers got a Pegasus. Wargaming hosed up my alpha status several times so I may not actually have any of those planes, but since I haven't logged in more than 5 times after the game went live due to it having awful, awful flight controls, I don't care all that much (and don't know how good any of them are)

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

plehsistential posted:

So I assume the cruiser AA "special" is supposed to show up from the get go at the moment much like smoke screen and the hitpoint repair for BBs? Is it better to get the Defensive Fire commander skill or sixth sense?

A dozen white streaks rising into the air in the distance and heading your general direction is a pretty good non-point using substitute for sixth sense

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That's because Japanese destroyers have lovely guns that turn like battleship turrets, the only good part about my Clemson is the weight of HE it can sling to set things on fire.

Also I came up with a second US battleship branch while the server was down, but sadly it'll never happen: Virginia-class -> Delaware-class -> Lexington (1920)-class -> CA-2 class (a 19,000t 3x2 gunned Alaska) -> Alaska-class -> CA-2D class (a 39,000t 4x3 gunned Alaska) -> North Carolina-class -> Iowa-class, thanks for indulging back to Phoenix time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hopterque posted:

You uh, don't really get this game do you.

The Clemson has poor camo, average agility and poo poo torpedoes, what is there possibly to like about it other than the twin turrets that came with the hull upgrade?