Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Aren't carriers the only type being limited to one per division?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ijyt posted:

Well yeah, the St. Louis is a hard-counter to anything up to around tier five..

The Phoenix is better. Also DDs and CVs.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

rossmum posted:

Ocean actually owns and I am sorry to all the people who require islands as a crutch.
(Substitute "IS-8" for "ocean" and "armour" for "islands" as necessary for bad WoT opinions.)

Yeah it's a cool map, and it's hilarious how many people complain about it. Though it certainly didn't take forever to create. I wouldn't mind having some variants of open ocean. Just to have a bit of visual variety.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

There's counterplay to carriers too, and it's a lot easier and more effective than anything you might want to try against the damage vomiting American cruisers.
Also there's no such thing as an "easy citadel", because getting a citadel hit is entirely luck based

Your counter being: "Hope they target someone else?" - Which was literally your advice.

Also Citadels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgLsvV-Dfv4

btw: South Carolina will stomp the St. Louis. (use AP).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

The shells all flew over the target or into the water before it, and all were aimed to hit right under the front turret - which is more or less where all the shells that did connect actually landed. I don't even know what game some of you think you're playing if you can guarantee hits, and guarantee citadels from those hits using low tier battleship guns no matter how well you personally aim and lead the target. They spray like nobodies business at all ranges - none of them quite as badly as the Myogi, but none of them are great either.

You're aiming for the wrong citadels. You should aim for the engine rooms. Similar damage (though no MEGABOOM), but very consistent damage.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, it seems like closer in citadels just don't happen in battleship duels anymore and I have no idea why.

Well that's kinda reasonable. Since you need to hit the waterline from afar to land citadels (thus the shots go below waterline inside the ship). Thus at close range your shots don't arce enough to reach lower. Depends on the target though.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

Well I'm still on tier 4. Myogi can't actually hit anything at +15km, making a mockery of the 20km max range, Wyoming is lucky to land more than 2 out of 12 shots at max range.

There's always been more to getting citadels than hitting the citadel zone on the target, and always more to hitting the target than getting the lead right, and I got as far as Fuso and New Mexico in CBT with no different experience to now.

You can't expect to reliably hit the Citadel on long range. The South Carolina can do it around 7km and lower.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The notches aren't about flight time, they're degrees. That's why you have to lead a target moving ~18kts at 10km by 5°* and one going ~34 knots by about 10°*. If it would be shell flight time, you wouldn't have to change the amount of lead to account for speed.

* also depends on shell speed.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
If I'm not mistaken you did overpenetrate and thus onyl did 10% of your max AP damage (should be 10k in this case). Though if you overpenetrate a turret or other module, it's gone for good.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

Fun fact (and maybe I should have mentioned this earlier)
Pressing Q or E will cause your ship to start turning in 1/2 and full rudder to port and starboard. One press of Q is half to port, 2 presses is full to port. Manually adjusting your rudder will reset this back to neutral position. Using these keys allows you to only have to press a key once or twice to enter a turn, then go back to focusing on shooting things. Just make sure not to forget you're turning and turn too far!

This also allows you to keep more speed in a turn (using half rudder).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well the Myogi is a rather fast BB (~30 knots), and gets a Scout plane. Though that's about the only good things about it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
They have a new advice series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzu9IFD7yM

quote:

A brand new video series Bad Advice is here to teach you both basic and advanced naval techniques in World of Warships while chuckling (or crying – depending on your character, you monsters) at the sheer incompetence of our little captain.
The first episode (titled: "Always use AP") sees our cute, but strategically challenged captain facing against a smaller (and less armoured) ship than his own and struggling with a decision that many of you might have stumbled upon yourselves. Does he use AP or HE shells? And what does the little golden fish think? And what do you think? See for yourselves in the brand new video series that strive to re-wire your brains to be more efficient and experienced captains. Or just make you laugh. We will take both. Enjoy!

Action Stations!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well it's not a premium Bismarck. But a real toy Bismarck + some premium stuff http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/Italeri-Bismarck/

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

Mother Russia thinks you have bad opinions about things :colbert:

Looks like it did hid a wall and thus has a warped bow.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
It comes with premium fuckbucks and some premium time.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^
Or just link the post from the OP.

Also had a very nice round in the New York (premium time active):

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Furutaka does tend to hit hard if you manage to citadel someone. That's the one advantage it does have.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Scikar posted:

Come on guys Furutaka isn't that bad! :v:

Zero Gravitas posted:

Burn the witch! :catbert:

I do think the Furutaka has a worse reputation than its actual performance. While it reloads slowly and the turret drives aren't exactly fast. It does have a rather big punch. It can be used quite well against distant DDs, with the rather good shell speed and trajectory. And citadeling other cruisers does net nice big numbers.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Sometimes you do your best Spam HE at everything and everyone and you still get a defeat. But it might be profitable:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I think most US DDs will be able to do the same with that skill.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Michaellaneous posted:

It's a bit silly that US DDs don't get better AA since their main armament is basically the best dual purpose gun made in WW2.

Well from the Nicholas onwards, the main armament gets used as AA. It's one of the features of the hull upgrads (which cost you one turret). The Nicholas does have a 25 rated AA. Which isn't too bad.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

OSad posted:

I was so loving salty. I would've played this match and then quit the game for the rest of the day on such a high note, but now I don't know if I should blame the Phoenix or this stupid game mode, or both. Now I'm having to drink gallons of water to try and contain the sodium chloride levels in my body. Just, gently caress normal game mode. gently caress it to hell and back.

The standard game mode sucks. It's an infestation in many games: Mechwarrior:Online, Robocraftgame etc. all go for the 2 homecaps gamemode. For reasons...
The same stupid draw poo poo in all games that use this game mode. Or both teams circle around the center and who's at the enemy cap first wins. Great game design.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Just had an aweseome round. Luckily in my Murmansk. It's really awesome with the +20% extra range from the Captains Skill (Rank 4). Special Thanks go to the Kuma which decided to show its broadside for far too long. I finally succumbed to enemy fire while attacking the 2 enemy carriers and the last enemy BB (Myogi). But not before sinking both carriers and firing a last torpedo spread at the Myogi. Which did sink it. :smug:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

It takes the highest tier and then pairs it with the worst possible tier any boat in your div could see. So if you have a T5 CV, and then a T4 BB, and a T6 CA it'll take the 6 of the CA, and the MM of a BB, and give you up to T9 opponents.

A T6 CA can be matched against T9 on its own. Otherwise a St. Louis and a Hosho should get matched against T6. Going to test this now.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

UV_Catastrophe posted:

How helpful are the premium ships for earning credits in this game?
I'm thinking about picking up a Murmansk or one of the cheaper premiums, but I'm not sure if it'd be that much better than just grinding my mid-tier ships for credits.

It's 20% to 30% more Credits. So it's not really that much. You can buy 3k doubloons for less than the price of the Murmansk and get yourself a month of premium (+50% XP/Credits) on all Ships. And this might help you more to progress faster. if you really love the Omaha; the Murmansk is the same, just a bit better.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Please tell me about the Kongo to fuel my drive to finish this loving Myogi. Even if it has become more tolerable, I must know something wonderful awaits me at the end of this.

It has more Guns.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Also map updates: Spawning opposite each other in a division on Hotspot wasn't very funny.

quote:

Improved graphics on familiar maps is not the only thing that will make players happy. New Dawn and Fault Line were modified significantly.On Hotspot, the diagonal team arrangement and the Domination mode with five bases were removed.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Defensive Fire is an unlimited "consumable". On some Cruisers you can choose between HydroSearch or Defensive Fire. Default: HydroSearch. I think it's 3.5km to find ships in smoke and 2.5km to detect torpedos. At least that information is available in the tooltip.

And your Catapult Fighter will just do whatever it wants. Lazy rear end that he is.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You wouldn't fire torpedos: Hit 3 to fire them. Go back to Cannons with 1, and then be suprised to be firing HE instead of AP? Not that this ever happened to me. Nope, never. Not at all. No Sir.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

James Garfield posted:

For all the talk about cruisers beating battleships, it rarely happens that way in practice unless the battleship is playing especially badly. There's a reason Colorado is the only battleship past tier 5 not to outdamage every equal tier cruiser (and anyway the New Mexico at tier 6 outdamages every tier 7 cruiser).
Fire does significant damage over time, but battleships do all their damage right away when they hit.

I think this is more due to different experiences. Dying from the fire of 3+ Cruisers is like dying to thousands of papercuts. From my own experiences a single Cruiser isn't a threat to a BB. Having to deal with multiple Cruisers isn't easy. And more like to sink the BB, unless the BB gets a couple of very good hits.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Xae posted:

I would not be shocked if the Cleveland didn't have a Citadel. I nailed a Cleveland with about 20 shots of 8inch AP at under 2km and no slope. Not a single Citadel shot.

I've hit the Citadel of the Cleveland, even with another Cleveland (shot range). Though most have been magazine citadel hits (below turrets). Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sfAZSM3Hs

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 14, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
I'm okay with that.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
For me Cruisers tend to have higher average and higher peak damage games.

Murmansk is at ~49.k average with a peak of 180k
Only the Aoba and Cleveland have higher damage scores (my highest Cruisers).
And the New Mexico/York aremy only BBs that come even close to the Murmansk. (Only T5 :japan: and T6 :911:)

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
In regards to World of No-DDs: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/ind...402#entry466402

quote:

Captains (and ladies),

Just to comment on the rudder shift changes:

Yes, the numbers will change with 0.4.1 deployment. However, this is not a nerf to DDs and your ships will actually not turn faster. This is just a bug fix for the port UI, as in the current patch the values for rudder shift are not calculated correctly.

This fix will be reflected in the final patch notes, which will be released just before the patch itself goes live. We don't usually post the full notes earlier than that because things can change based on the results of the public testing phase.

Hope that clears it up.

Action Stations!

TheDemon posted:

This is going to be the highest of heresies, but...
I don't get the Murmansk? I mean, it's got guns, but not as many as I want. It's got torpedoes, but their arc sucks so they're only good if you're surprised. The AA isn't bad but I want a fighter not a spotter plane.
I just would rather play any other ship, and would do so better. I like my Kuma better, I like the Phoenix and Omaha better, hell I even prefer my Clemeson if guns and some torps is the style I want. The only thing I can really say for it is at least it isn't the Furutaka.

Well it has 6-7 barrels to the front/sides, which ain't bad for T5. With the Level 4 skill you'll be sitting at more than 17km base range (~21 with spotter). The AA is not awesome but okay (use the +20% range upgrade).
The guns also do have guite a punch with AP. Though the shells are quite slow. Thus the Phoenix feels a lot more precise. I can see why one might not like it. But it suits me perfectly.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 17, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
They could also reboot the server now. Since a couple of friends and me can no longer join any battle. Started after shutting down the game on a bugged out queue. All while being in a division.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

ArchangeI posted:

They are usually over the screws, so I'd assume they are intended to keep towing lines from getting fouled in the screws, which would be happy fun times for everyone involved.

I think they are quite useful if you like in packs in harbours to protect the screws. Since identical ships lying side by side could touch the screws.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 19, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

PirateBob posted:

Wtf are "screws" on a ship ??
vvv
:what:

You can also use the word "propeller". If you want to. But it's funnier if two ships screw with each other. Proppeling each other sounds pretty weird. Or just go for Schiffsschraube.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Evernoob posted:

As much as I agree with you with the Furutaka being a piece of scrapmetal, the guns may be slow firing and slow traversing, but they are not inaccurate.
The bullet velocity and firing arc are actually pretty great and if you take special care to aim for enemy cruiser citadels you can actually get some nice results.
Off course you have to broadside and sail in a straight line for any good results, as the smallest turn prevents your turrets from tracking your target correctly :(

Those guns are also awesome to deal with DDs (with He of course). The Aoba has the same guns, just in better turrets.
Best way to play Furutaka: Stick to a BB and shoot DDs, CAs and BBs. And plan your movement out ahead, the turret traverse is pure rear end.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

Don't trust the AA rating number. Look at the values listed under the guns inside the tab. You could have an AA set that does 1k dps, but if it only works within 2km, all its going to do is kill planes AFTER they make a run on you, not before. AA that fires from 3k will likely start shooting as the planes begin their run, and AA that shoots at 5K is the stuff that actually downs planes attacking you and allies.

For cruisers, this is extra important, as Defensive Fire only affects AA with the longest range on your ship, typically the 127mm guns at 5km.
That's also going to make :911: DD AA a very nice thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Invest one skill point in the "get spotted" skill (Situation Awareness). As soon as you're spotted: Change course every 20 seconds. Doesn't need to be much, but you'll be virtually immune against long range torpedo attacks. If you're not spotted = just sail lazily in straight lines.