Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've never played any of the War of ... games but I am interested in naval games and this seems good. Can anyone explain to me the economy of this game? Am i right to say that a F2P player can start with a crap ship (Tier 1?) and then by playing the game gains XP and can level up to Tier 2, and then automatically gain a new ship? Or just gain access to be able to buy a new ship?

Also it seems that you can upgrade your Tier 1 ship and even crew...does that mean in some cases a Tier 1 ship can compete with a Tier 10? Aside from economic reasons, is there any point in using a Tier one if you also have a higher tier?

I play Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard MOBA) if you want to make any comparisons to that (and have no problems justifying spending real money on a game I like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I started playing this tonight and really enjoyed it. So far I played about 8 games in my T1 US Cruiser. I reached account level 2 and have about 150,000 credits but I haven't been able to access other ships. Can someone explain in basics how I get money and best ways to spend it? Is buying upgrades for my crap cruisers a waste? Also why are there 2 currencies?

I want to get into a carrier ASAP and have decided at a cursory glance to go with US, is that a mistake?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Another newbie question, or statement that I hope I have right.

The star symbol & number I believe is XP, which is individual for each ship? So in order to progress I spend XP gained in one ship to research the next tier of ship. If I want to I can then buy that ship with credits. However if I don't (and I see port space is a thing so that suggests I need to be conservative with my purchases), I can just keep playing in my T1 cruiser until have enough XP to research the T3 ship and then decide if I want to buy that?

I suspect that my T1 cruiser would gain XP and credits slower than if I bought a T2 which is the trade off to not always upgrading.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm really getting into this now. I still have an ambition to drive a CV and have worked my way up to the T4 US BB so the Langley is close. However I had a discussion in game last night and people seemed to think that the IJN CV's are better. The summary I heard is that US CV's have better defense/air cover but the IJNs are much better at sinking ships. And since sinking ships is what gives XP and credits, the IJN CV's are better. Is that fair?

Aside from that, I've really enjoyed the T3 US Cruiser but found the T3 BB terrible. I had a quick game on the T4 BB and it seems much better. Is there anywhere that might have a good discussion of all the ships and advice on which ones to go for? At a high level it seems in general the US BB's and Cruisers are better, but the IJN CV's and DD's are superior.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Wondering if a few people who have played this for a long time can relate their experience with going through the tiers, the grinding, best ways to get credits, amount of ships they have etc? So far I've kind of spread myself across IJN CVs and DDs, and USN BBs and CAs. However now that I'm tier 5 in all I've realised it's becoming too slow to do all. So do most people just pick one line and take it to Tier X? Also do you always sell a ship once you are done? I'd thought to keep a low level one from each line as well as the most recent. Do you higher players still go back and play T 2&3?

Thanks

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Why is the St Louis so venerated in this game? I've had one for two weeks and while I think its a decent ship, I found both the Phoenix and especially the Omaha much superior. I've nearly reached the Cleveland and I'm thinking of selling my St Louis and using the Commander in my Cleveland but I just feel like I'm missing something with the St Louis. I typically get 100 hits or more in a match with it but I don't feel like the damage is great. I mostly use HE vs everything.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I finally decided to step up from my Minekaze to Mitsuki. I knew it was going to be bad but not as bad as this. Can anyone explain how they got through the first 15k or so XP to get the second hull and improved torps at least? Free XP is not an option because I'm also invested in the USN BB line and am hoarding it to skip Colorado.

I would literally prefer to use the T2 Umikaze in T6 MM rather than this Mitsuki.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

The improved torpedoes are the same ones that the Aoba has so if you research the Aoba, you no longer have to separately research the Mutsuki's better torpedoes.

I didn't know this, that's great. I recently started the IJN cruiser line and thought the Tenryu and Kuma are both awesome so this is definitely what I will do.

Are there any other examples of cross-tech tree upgrades like this?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Honestly think the Hatsuharu is the most underrated ship in the game. The IJN DD line is often summarised as T4&5 great, 6-8 sucks. The guns on it are real nice and it can even shoot down a plane or two. I still haven't unlocked the better torps though. The fun with guns has convinced me to try the USN DD line now too.

Also 1 game away from unlocking the Myoko. I started off this game playing USN lines but eventually switched and find the IJN cruisers and BBs so much more enjoyable at every tier bar Cruiser 5.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Now I have a question of my own. Is it crazy to just skip having a level 5 skill in a BB and instead of saving up all those points just buy basic firing training and the turret speed skill from the first two tiers (went with repair skills to start)? Even though .7 degree a second does not sound like much I figure once you get to the big boys it will help.

I have definitely thought the same. There's a good Lvl 5 skill for DD, CV and CA's but not for BB IMO so instead I'm going for something like this:

Basics of Survivability
Aiming Expert
High Alert
Advanced Firing Training
Fire Prevention
Basic Firing Training
Superintendant

This requires 1 more Captain level (16) than going for a Lvl 5 skill. By the point I finish this I'll be in at least an Izumo if not Yamato (currently half way through Nagata T7).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Hatsuharu is nowhere near that bad. I actually have found it the best IJN DD so far although I suspect I'm just a better player after the horror of the stock Mutsuki.

Stock Mutsuki and stock Langley are the two worst things I have experienced in this game.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I've had a load of games in my T8 Amagi now and am feeling pretty annnoyed by Tirpitz. For one thing, there's an average of 4 of them in every match so I'm sick of the sight of them the same way in my Fuso I was sick of seeing Clevelands. At least with Cleveland though, I had no problem destroying them in my Fuso.

But the Tirpitz just straight up seems better than Amagi. I have only ever citadelled one. They have more armour, HP, range, speed and torps. The AA argument is moot, as a Montana player put it when comparing to Yamato, it might make the difference between 1 extra plane shot down. Its pretty close to P2W. I would say put an equal skilled player in all 3 of the T8 BBs and the Tirpitz wins every time. NC and Amagi seems a real nice balance IMO.

Question is, will I see less of them if/when I get to Izumo? Even more worryingly with everything I've heard about the Izumo, can it take a Tirpitz on 1v1 and more often than not (again assuming equal skill players) come out on top? I know an Iowa will beat a Tirpitz no problem.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Question for anyone who has played Izumo.

I am about 20k away from finishing the Amagi and have around 150k free XP saved up. Both hulls (mandatory) on Izumo cost around 100k XP. The range and speed (optional) cost around 23k each.

Once I unlock the Izumo, would I be better to:

Spend 146k to research all the upgrades (both Hulls, Range and Speed) then play through the 249k needed to get Yamato.
Spend 100k roughly to research only the hulls and play through 200k roughly with no speed or range upgrade.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I actually think a good idea for carrier balance would be to allow CV's to change their flight control systems on the fly (assuming they have been researched & bought pre-game). So if all of your planes are on deck/hanger, you can change from eg Bogue 1/1/0 to 2/0/1 and then launch. This would make a really interesting chess mechanic IMO, and also allow dual CV's to better co-ordinate their airgroups. Also if all your torp bombers get shot down but you have a glut of fighters remaining, you can re-adjust your role for the remainder of the battle.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Just ran into the new Russian TX DD in my Izumo. He burnt me down from 50% to zero without me seeing him once. At least I think it was the DD...I don't think there was anything else in the match could do it.

My gut reaction at the time was if this goes live as it is I will either completely abandon my T7 IJN and T6 USN DDs (and probably not buy the Mogami I have been saving up for since this DD is doing the same HE spamming thing but safer) or stop playing altogether. I've calmed down since then but when that poo poo happens with USN DDs, at least their shell arcs mean they miss some shots and its quite easy to get away. In this case I had absolutely no chance.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't got one but having seen plenty they are really the biggest glass cannons in the game. If you can get a situation where you can fire on something unmolested the DPS is insane, its one of the most debilitating things to be on the end of the HE spam.

Also the AA is supposed to be the best in the game as well, even if the numbers are not as high as other ships.

I would love one, if even to retrain US captains, but I also believe this is the best ship for Ranked 7v7 battles due to the AA and how good the ship is vs DDs.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Aesis posted:

I love ramming when it is a certain death situation for me. It was 2v6, I rammed an Izumo to death with Iowa (~10k left) and he wasn't happy :v:

If this happened yesterday on Two Brothers then there's a good chance it was me you rammed :-)/

In the situation that happened to me, I had closed to about 10k from an Iowa, north side of the map central. He was coming head on, I was at about a 15 degree angle. I reckon I whittled him down from 50% to 10% before he rammed me but the interesting thing was I barely took any damage from his shots in that time. So I think the Izumo definately has some good things going for it, even if in general the Iowa is the better ship.

Also, does the Izumo have better AA than Iowa? I'm in the Hull C and the raw numbers seem to suggest my AA is better than Iowa, but I'm not sure how captain skills etc affect the numbers I see in port vs those of the un-researched Iowa. The Izumo grind certainly hasn't been as bad as I had feared. I'm about 40k XP from the end too.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Never thought I would post a screen but had the game of my life in my Yamato. Base XP was 3.3k. With Premium Account and the +20% credit flags I'm finding playing Yamato decent for credits unless I get blown up early by a DD or CV. Obviously minus those two perks its not going to be profitable but I think its possible to sustain TX games in a Yamato.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The T9 Fletcher is arguably the best torpedo boat in the game and the T9 Iowa is almost as good as the Montana. The Kagero and both CVs are also very good, and I hear good stories about the Baltimore (including it being the best AA ship in the game). I even thought the Izumo was good, definitely better than Amagi. It's the most accurate of all BBs.

Edit: How is Kagero a step down? If you want to fire torpedoes at long range from stealth there is no question Kagero is better than T8. If you want to do something other than that, you are playing the wrong line.

Izumo is not a bad ship. It has better front armour than Iowa and is more accurate. It's biggest problems are a slight lack of range but even worse, it's concealment rating. The 2m cred concealment mod is mandatory.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2015

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think Premium ships get better MM, not sure if that means reduced chance of seeing +2 Tier's though. For some premiums I believe instead of being able to see +2 you can only see +1. At least I think this is how it was at some point, not sure if still the case.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The new T6 Premium DD looks good, but honestly one of the best things about Premiums is being able to retrain captains from the same nation. What use is a Polish or Chinese Premium?!

I think I'll get a Murmansk and get back to going for a Kiev instead.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I've just reached a fully upgraded Ibuki (ie nearly 250k XP left before Zao so months of play) and so far I've found the ship very nice. Noticably better than the Mogami which I played a lot pre-nerf. Yet I often hear many complaints about the Ibuki, so for those who have actually played both it and the Zao, what is the problem with Ibuki and what is the big deal with the Zao compared to it?

BTW I have a Yamato and found the complaints about the Izumo puzzling too. Note I haven't played beyond T6 on the corresponding USN lines.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I just came back to the game and missed the previous ARP missions. I see new ones just appeared so can someone explain to me the rewards. Is it really giving 2 Kongo-class ships with no catch? Are they premium? Can they be used in exactly the same way I use my current Kongo? And the only difference is a garish paintjob?

The rank 16 captain looks an amazing reward, is it restricted to a particular ship or nation? And whats the point of the other commander, which isn't specified to be rank 16 (Haruna)?

Has anyone done any thinking on the best ships to perform the missions in yet?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Izumo is the 4th best BB in the game and the most accurate BB in the game.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I haven't played CVs for a while after rage-selling my Lexington. What are the strongest CVs for their tier now that Essex and Midway are nerfed?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Double post.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Tekopo posted:

I just got back to playing WoWS, mostly playing low/mid tier cruisers atm (currently up to tier 4 german cruiser, tier 6 japanese/american). Are people still using EuroGoons? Maybe we should set up a new channel in game. Really interested in playing in a division cause pubbies are terrible.

I'm interested in playing in Divisions on Eu but cba with voice chat. I just want to play in a semi-organized fashion without trying to be super-elite. I have a load of ships all over the ranks from 4-10, mainly grinding through Ibuki, Benson and Konigsberg for now but my favourite ships are battleships.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
My username on Eu is the same, if anyone wants to add me.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Arishtat posted:

Comically my best cruiser game overall was done with a Furutaka with 147k damage dealt. The Furutaka is a harsh mistress in that it's really easy to get wrecked by just about anything but those 203mm guns absolutely ruin other tier 5 ships and the forward-firing 10km torpedoes are a nasty bonus weapons system. I love using them on unwary battleships that think taking on a Furutaka solo is a good idea.

I played through the Furutaka pre-buff and tbh really enjoyed it. I actually debated keeping it, the only reason I didn't is because the Aoba and then Myoko are both straight, massive upgrades. Tenryu-Kuma-Furutaka-Aoba-Myoko and pre-nerf Mogami is probably the best sequence of ships in any tree IMO (IJN BBs 5-8 also very nice). Thats the way a ship line should be done.

On the other hand, I sold my Cleveland the moment I unlocked the Pensa (and never bought the Pensa), despite the public perception that Cleveland is OP.

Currently playing the Konigsberg and I would say its playstyle is very similar to Russian DDs. If you can get within 10km of a target unmolested it can do absolutely horrific things to it...too bad that every shot received is a rudder or engine disable.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I didn't skip any ships in the IJN line and just got my 5 point skill almost exactly half-way through the Ibuki. It makes a big difference too I've found, I'm not getting nuked as much.

For my USN DD, it would be very similar - i'm about 50k left on Benson and about 100k left for that captain to get Lvl 5 skill. I didn't skip any of those either.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
After watching that video, I think I'll go for the T6 Russian Cruiser and leave it there. I'm keeping my Konigsberg and Myoko so this will fill that gap in nicely.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The Amagi is not as tough as North Carolina but it is still pretty durable. Also it has the 3rd biggest broadside in the game behind Yamato and Montana. I also found it very accurate, nimble and fast with reasonable AA. IMO its the second best Battleship in the game (accounting for tier) behind Yamato.

The usual question applies, are you playing stock? There's literally no point complaining about stock IJN BBs, everyone knows they are poo poo.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
To anyone who says the TII Novik is a good ship, I call BS. I would say its easily the worst ship in the game (although I skipped Karlsruhe). I actually burst out laughing the first time I fired its guns. Poor guns, mediocre armor & concealment, slightly fast but not enough to be relevant on T2 maps. I would literally rather play the Orlan as a T2, its a much better ship.

The Bogatyr is amazing though, I'm definately considering keeping it. And this is from someone who didn't like St Louis, although that was a long time ago.

I haven't reached it yet, but It seems opinions on the Svetlana are massively varying. I've heard some people say its the worst ship in the line/game but others saying it has amazing guns but bad armour. I had planned to skip it but I'll probably play through it now.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I wish I could find a link but I read a hilarious account of just how much of a debacle that battle and the build up to it was from the Russian perspective. It included a Russian ship shelling a Swedish trawler in the Baltic Sea because they thought it was Japanese. If you look at a map you'll see how ridiculous that was. And yes, the Russians set off to fight Japan by sailing west. Mutinies, ships getting lost, breaking down, scurvy...the works.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I've been pleasantly surprised by the Svetlana after fully upgrading it. It seems to have the advantage of being under-estimated by enemies too. People would much rather shoot at a Kuma.

The Novik is the worst ship in the game. I'm going for the T6 and stopping there.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think the Yorck is the best T7 cruiser now. I've been a big fan or Myoko and it was the only cruiser I've re-bought after selling it. I'm going through Yorck on my way to Hipper and am seriously considering selling the Myoko again and keeping the Yorck instead. The one problem is the captain skill.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Just finished grinding out the Zao yesterday. I was sceptical that it could really be that much better than Ibuki but it is a massive difference. The guns bear absolutely no resemblance, the accuracy at over 12k is night and day, and the HE actually does so much more damage. I went for AA mods and my AA rating is 91 which isn't shabby either. The 9.7k concealment is great in T10 matches because I find I can survive a lot more than I was in my Yamato, so I can actually afford the games now.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I had DE on my Ibuki captain until a week ago when reading around I agreed with some views that its actually not very good for IJN cruisers. On Zao I have a base 19% fire chance so increasing that to 22% is only about 15% increase.

Whereas on a Benson, base fire chance is 5% I think, increasing that to 8% (perhaps its more/less on those smaller guns, I'm not at the game right now), well thats a 60% increase. With DE on my Benson I find I'm practically guaranteed to start a fire within 2 salvos.

The only other choices at T4 are Survivability, but in a cruiser you are basically only getting 10% HP boost so again thats a DD skill IMO (note I even saw a Montana taking this recently!). The trickier one to evaluate is the Manual Control for AA guns. I've since read it might actually be superior for Zao specifically than AFT but I don't think there's much in it, and it might not be worth it in cases where you forget/multi-task-fail and can't select a plane.

Also AFT boosts secondaries to 5.2k, every little helps vs DDs.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Hate the New York. There's a strong argument it's the worst boat in the game when compared directly to its counterpart. Even the Izumo-Iowa comparison is a lot closer IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Well I guess everyone has their quirky ships - eg my Warships today rating for Yorck is nearly twice the average after 35 battles and I absolutely love it. I think its better than Myoko now, but most people would say its by far the worst T7 cruiser.