Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Prav posted:

They kept loving with the flight model and the control model and I think they were on their worst iteration when they launched? Balance was screwy too but I'll let someone who actually played the game cover that part.

Literally their worst.

Basically energy fighters were a bit weak in large part because guns were accurate at long range and they got strafed as they tried to pull away. So they decided to make them a bit better. So they made them more able to do boomy zoomy stuff by adding a boost that let them get up to high altitude faster, and heavy fighters got a real long boost so they could get the highest. Then they made them a bunch better by making planes perform like suck outside their preferred altitude band. Then they made planes literally incapable of dealing meaningful damage against targets when they were going slowly or pointing upwards.

This meant that in all, going up against a higher tier plane or a boomier zoomier plane you were dead with no chance of success.

They released the game in this state. Remember the grind a tier ten contest? A bunch of tryhards all platooned and flew nothing but the boomiest zoomiest and spent the whole time getting like 95% win rates.

Thus died WoWP.

Also the mouse controls sucked, and unlike WT, which made joystick suck, everyone has a mouse and not everyone has a joystick, so a lot of people couldn't fly right for a loooong time.

I'll do an armor and shells post tomorrow.

Lord Koth posted:

Of course, from the videos it doesn't really seem that they've modeled that "extreme danger to the ship they're on" aspect, so removing them being almost impossible to spot is probably fair too.

They're on Japanese cruisers, which are incredibly fragile.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Click red boats. Position yourself relative to them so you can shoot their vitals when you click them and they can't shoot yours and win. Actually more complicated than I make it sound.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

God I'd expect a coordinated division of destroyers can unleash an absolute poo poo storm of torpedoes. Finally the IJN's torpedo doctrine will have its time in the sun! :japan:

I really want to try coordinating a mixed platoon of destroyers and kitakami. Use the smoke to get the torp wall into range safely.

Also battleship and cruiser mix to mess with what I hear is the meta. BB protects the cruisers from BBs, cruisers protect it from the torpedo stuff.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 12, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

That smoke wall is brutal. Last night the last match I played in a 9v9 random the other team had one USN DD lay down a smoke screen and he sat in it launching wave after wave of torps while our three Kongo's drove right into it like moths to a flame. He managed to stay undetected until the smoke cleared and killed two, severely damaging another. One of them came into the mix full health. By the time the smoke cleared he had ducked behind an island that was being used for cover as well and he launched one last salvo killing the remaining Kongo. loving brilliant if you ask me. Two DD's using islands and laying smoke vomiting torpedoes with another just firing away with support would be insane.

The best thing is that the intersection of destroyers in smoke and enemy planes over them seems to be way underutilized, so it's still priceless to do to some poor smug DD driver.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Delorence Fickle posted:

For US destroyers, did Wargaming factor in the terribleness of the MK 8 and 14 torpedoes?

Not really, they're resoundingly decent. Can't do long range concealed firing like the Japanese though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

It's like 100 meters.

In a DD, the wedge shape that shows up a bit off your ship in torp view is where your fish are live. So that distance until the start should be the minimum distance.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Polikarpov posted:

Four hits on the first salvo would have been absolutely legendary accuracy IRL. Ships were considered incredibly accurate if they could straddle on the first salvo, let alone hit.

Like the Iowa and NJ straddling a destroyer first salvo at 20 mi?

Prav posted:

Yeah. And drop gets absolutely massive as you start firing out towards max range and you get shell travel times of >10 seconds. A bunch of ships can actually have two or even more salvos in the air at once.

Yep. This is why AP penetrates at short range and long range. At long range you're dropping shells on the deck.

Aiming in the game is picking an angle and range to drop your shells at, with some long hang times. You don't need to worry about elevation, it's basically WWI style trying to figure out speed and range.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BadLlama posted:

So are the only nations that are in America and Japan?

Has Russia even ever had a strong Navy?

Right now yes, and they started the century with a decentish fleet that was hamstrung as usual by the worst naval geography imaginable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The French are actually one of the best candidates for a nearly full tree of real ships or ships that were seriously intended to be built.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dammit_Carl! posted:

This stuff right here is going to be awesome - you think paper tanks will make 'spergers mouths froth, then paper ships will launch them straight to the moon.

It will be glorious.

Funnily there's usually an average of five or so configurations that got seriously considered for each class of ship, and most are a lot more fleshed out than paper tanks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Ships took so long to build though that most of them were prewar designs anyway, the only big things they changed was AA and radar.

Overall it was basically looking at treaty designs and going what did we cut to make weight that hurt the most? Bring that back and do it fast.

Also pretty sure the Essex air wing at top is bearcats and skyraiders.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Isn't there a key to follow your shells? I thought it was MMB in the weekend test but it does nothing now. Or does it only work with BBs?

Z

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BadLlama posted:

How practical is to go full ramming speed and just jam your ship right into the center of another?

Only if you like exploding.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Desuwa posted:

If only I'd been able to start the download before work today.

I played a bit of everything but focused on BBs during the only weekend they let me in. Pubbies are just as stupid in this game as WoT; my Fuso was able to fight and win against two Nagatos at once because AP is just better than HE.

By tier three or so be shooting AP or moving to where shooting AP is a good decision.

Go for citadel hits. Basically the region along the waterline starting at the frontmost turret to the rearmost turret, there's this armored turtley thing where they keep the juicy bits, shoot it for super damage.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol can't spot a DD in smoke from literally 1.5 KM away. Yea can see that getting old fast.

Don't be in smoke. Keep distance against DDs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sphrin posted:

Yeah, pubbies have problems shooting one another in Tanks with fairly decent accuracy guns with the enemy stationary and now you have everyone in constant motion while you have to dodge islands and torpedoes then keep your ship positioned so that you can maximize your amount of cannons on target and minimize the profile you show to enemies.

The game is very basic point and click and watching someone stream it earlier everyone was saying how slow and easy it looks but I can imagine the people who can keep track of all those factors will do remarkably better than the idiots who complain how this takes no skill.

Luckily NA didn't seem to have a long line of folks signing up so it only took an hour from signing up to get an invite.

Managing your position and angle relative to multiple enemies and keeping effective gunnery up is actually pretty tricky.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Where are the magazines? Is there something in game that shows it?

They're below the turrets.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ugh I am so awful at BBs. Going to shelve them for a while.

BB driving is getting into position to deliver a good salvo 30 seconds from when you fired and start maneuvering.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Here's what a battleship's armor layout looks like for the curious. If you look in the dark blue area on the side, you'll see a bunch of machinery looking stuff under the superstructure. That's all the boilers and turbines that make the ship go. They're big spaces full of important machinery. The areas beneath the guns that have the turntable things are the magazines. These are super important.

That area from the start of the dark blue to right behind the rearmost main turret is the citadel. Shoot there with AP and penetrate for massive damage. The longer or shorter the range is the better odds you have to penetrate.

Ships of a class can usually penetrate each other. That's why cool kids angle their ships' belt armor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

It's early Navy Field all over again.

If you have a somewhat decent feeling for speed and direction then you will do enormous damage with manual torp bombers. Pubbies ofc use auto all the time.

Meanwhile in other ships if you turn so your side isn't towards torp bomber squadrons it makes life super hard for the carrier player.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

demonR6 posted:

I added this to the OP if you don't mind?

Do it. Intended it to be added.

Prav posted:

That's why you use two squadrons from different directions. But I think you know that.

Yeah, the squadron coming in from the other side is why you pay attention to its angle and be ready to slam on the brakes to mess with that solution (or just be turning hard enough that it misses)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I understand correctly, you want to use AP shells for long range combat for the extended range and plunging damage against deck armor. You also want them at short range, because you'll have nice, flat shots at the enemy hulls to puncture all the clanky bits in their floaty parts.

At medium range where you can't plunge into the deck armor from above, and where you don't have a good angle for direct fire into their belts, you switch to HE?

If you can't punch through the candy shell into the nougat center, fire HE. However, against same tier and same type, AP will pen at most ranges. Cruisers against BBs want to be about at maximum range or like 3 km, but the immune zone for BBs against BBs can be like from 10k to 13k.

For reference, immune zone is where you can't plunge through the deck or slam through the belt. You want to be in yours and outside theirs. You can manipulate yours by angling your belt to lower the maximum range it can be penned at.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prav posted:

Rudder damage :argh:

Bismarcking suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I'm actually surprised the US battleships aren't in. They've been hyping them up in the dev journal things for the last few months.

I can't wait for them. I want the New Mexicos so the US can show the Japanese why the Fuso was badly laid out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Soon as it feels like I get a handle on the game, someone quickly reminds me that I don't. Thought I had a guy solid, but I must have been shooting AP shells at him for too long, or was hitting empty spaces, as his shots were hitting a lot harder.

I really don't like the tier 1 japanese cruiser though.

You know how tier 1-3 in tanks really don't play by the rules?

Yep.

Oh and heads up, you can't see it but Japanese cruisers have a big citadel compared to the US, they die faster than their HP would indicate. US are toughish gun cruisers with AA, Japanese are fragileish gun cruisers with a really nasty torp punch if they get close.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

-Troika- posted:

I'm looking forward to the German cruisers with 11 inch guns. Those are going to be either the best cruisers, or the worst.

The Alaskas had 12 inch guns. The really crazy fun thing is gonna be the German destroyers, which even in WWI had 5.9" guns. They're going to suck so much to aim.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Orv posted:

I can't wait for the T1 premium with long lances.

I'm pretty sure they've actively been trying to marginalize the long lance for things that aren't Japanese destroyers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Orv posted:

Look man, the B2 existed in the form it did for like two years, I don't expect them to skimp on the idiot premiums here.

Yeaaaah, I think there's a reason the Kitakami is like tier eight and still doesn't carry the things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

hopterque posted:

Playing a battleship can be pretty rough when everyone fucks off to shoot at cruisers or whatever and you get swarmed by 2 or 3 destroyers.

Let me shoot cruisers, I'm really good at that, but please god protect me from the little bastards.

2 bb and a ca is pretty sweet for that reason. Thick aa that they have to overfly twice to get to the bbs and a good screen against destroyers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I'm not sure what it is, but I like cruisers more than any other ship type. And american cruisers the most.

American cruisers are really sweet gun boats that can dance a bit and hammer out some real damage without requiring driving based on where you have to be thirty seconds in the future. They're my faves, especially the Cleveland and the Pensacola for totally different reasons. The Cleveland can hammer out salvoes like it's a huge destroyer but they really sting, and the Pensacola can lay hammer blows into the unsuspecting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Tanreall posted:

They should add more notifications to standard battle to let people know it's against bots.

No. Keep them in there.

For AA, if you hold control and click a squadron your aa will focus it and do more damage to it and less to everything else. Anti-surface secondaries fire automatically but at point blank range.

Battleships, especially the faster ones can dodge crossed runs, but only if they're dodging one run before the planes drop and manipulate their speed to help against the second.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

CVs might need a little....adjusting...

Pubs underpowered, buff pubs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Delorence Fickle posted:

Wait a minute? Does the Yamato gets access to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Shiki_(anti-aircraft_shell)

If so, then Playing carriers in tier X is gonna suck if the player rolling in the Yamato knows how to deal with planes.

No, and a yammy with that is nothing compared to an Iowa, sodak or norcal.

An Iowa firing every barrel it has throws more weight of fire than a yammy doing the same. That's because in a minute the aa suite on it is firing about the same weight of shells as its main guns.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At least it prevents pubbies from doing stupid poo poo with their ships. A durr loving durr, I'm not going to put any main guns on my Deutschland CA because I'm using it as a torpedo platform. :downs: Some stupid configurations could work really, really well, but most people were too awful to do it correctly.

How do the spotting mechanics actually work in this game? What about smoke? I'm never entirely certain when my DD is concealed by smoke. Does firing the main guns cause the smoke to stop?

Firing guns from inside smoke can light you up and if they're not dumb they can shoot back at your shells. When you're safely in smoke there should be a white effect on your screen. Planes can spot you in smoke. It's fun as hell to do to a smug DD driver.
Spotting is ships literally have a range at which they get seen. That's it. Guns make it longer. I think the only ships that can fire at max range and not get lit are US DDs. Have fun hitting though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

DannyH posted:

That is a somewhat dumb concern. it takes at least a month saving that gold to buy a tier 8 premium and that is without using it for all the other things you could use it for. It would probably lead to more sales to have a few play them beforehand.

I found them to be total turds thou, but I am not a dumbo that lets them get within torpedo range and that is their only gimmick.

They're both vicious close range gimmick ships. If they can lurk around islands or buddy up with destroyers to smoke their advance they can be hilarious.

Unfortunately the Atlanta isn't that great at AA screening because chilling close and having all the Bofors and Oerlikons is the one true AA way, but it absolutely wrecks the piss out of destroyers. Basically think two tier ten US detroyers worth of guns on a platform that can move and dodge enough. If the Albany and Aurora weren't so gorgeous the Atlanta would be the best premium in every way, and it's for a great tree.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 13, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Accuracy can also be pretty sweet. Dropping tighter salvoes is pretty nice in longer range duels. Experiment.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

squidflakes posted:

Right, so just replace all the Nazi war criminal trolling from WoT with poo poo about katanas and samauri being notorious boy fuckers.

I just say that a historically accurate kancolle would be a snuff film.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Japanese cruisers have pretty short ranged torps. The destroyers have the nutso stuff. US destroyers don't have awful torpedoes either, especially early when they use torps on the sides rather than middle and have a ghetto reload.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It takes a long time for big ships to turn their rudders. Be 10 seconds early if you want to turn a bb.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Argas posted:

My friend keeps saying that when playing cruisers or destroyers, HE is the way to go. Is he wrong?

Edit: I know the in-game help says AP is best vs same class but dunno how important it is at the cruiser/destroyer level.

Here's my raving AP fanboy take on matters (actually the raving AP fanboy answer is shoot AP at everything, and it's viable).

AP you want to punch through enough stuff to fuze the shell, and if you do, it's mindblowingly awesome.

You can use AP on destroyers, and if you catch the vitals just right or shoot them through the nose so there's plenty of ship in the way of the shell you can do a bunch of damage. Frankly, this is a bad decision unless you really know what you're doing. Destroyers are not built with armor, they are built with hitboxes. Shoot them with HE in their midsection and you can take out their turbines for a bit which damages their speed and makes them much more vulnerable, and can knock out torpedo tubes and weaken their salvo.

AP against cruisers and battleships, is pretty simple, it follows a good-bad-good-bad pattern. At extreme range your shots are falling on the enemy at a sharp angle and can penetrate the deck. When I say extreme I mean fist-pumpingly extreme edge of range sort of things, and in low tiers it doesn't happen. Then closer in you can do good hits with AP but it's really not better than consistent damage and fire from HE. Against cruisers this zone is tiny and who cares, keep shooting AP. The next stage is when you can penetrate their belt armor into their vitals, as illustrated here:

You're aiming for the purple section or the bits right under the turrets pretty much. Once you're punching salvoes into the belt armor and they're going through, you'll know it. Keeping at the range where you can punch through their belt and they have a hard time doing so is a great way to win big. You can manipulate whether they can penetrate to some degree by angling your ship away/towards the enemy, which reduces the maximum penetration range.

The last section is where your shells go straight through their armor, their hull and then the other armor. This is overpenetration. Avoid it. At that close range, try to shoot through their ship the long way or their angled belt armor. Praying may also help as well as not getting there in the first place because it's really hard to seriously outduel someone in that close because weird voodoo happens there.

Basically destroyers can shoot AP at cruisers that are close up or far away, cruisers should shoot AP at cruisers and extreme or close range battleships.

Good AP salvoes from a heavy cruiser end cruisers in one or two salvoes. It's a huge deal.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

In battleships, varying your speed is pretty important to avoid pincer attacks from torpedo bombers, but other than that all ahead full. Your rate of change in range versus an enemy is usually your most potent defense and your speed is your ability to get into a less bad position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ehh, just occasionally varying course as you should to be avoiding gunfire is nearly always enough.