Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Republicanus posted:

Is Gaijin going to put subs in their naval game? I haven't heard much about what they had planned to gently caress up Wargaming's pie.

As far as I'm aware Gaijin can't make subs work either, so it's going to be a pretty straight contest between Gaijin's damage modeling system versus Wargaming's HP system. And also maybe how the different developers handle upgrades, considering that in WT upgrades are relatively minor improvements whereas in WoT/WoWP you can get things like a completely different engine or a new turret for your tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Teron D Amun posted:

What is their match making in this game like, as non-existent as it is in WoT?

According to the OP,

quote:

You can play in three man divisions which is similar to platoons in tanks. Matchmaker is currently not able to handle poo poo like this, case in point if you have a tier 9 ship and a tier 1 in your division then launch a match the MM will pick the lowest tier to set the bar. Congratulations your tier 9 will ship all over the other team and you can even poo poo on your own since teamkiling is not penalized right now.

:getin:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

It's what, ten minutes until the scheduled time for the sign-up period to begin?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Got my app in, now for the waiting.

e: got the email confirming they got my app, that's a good sign

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

"Dear YellerBill!

Congratulations, you have been accepted to the Closed Game Test. As a Closed Test participant, you will now take command of a fleet of legendary vessels and and hone your tactical skills in intense naval combat."

:getin:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Can we get a channel set up on Camping The Stairs or something for getting some "divisions" rolling?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I started firing AP instead of HE and holy poo poo even at tier 1 it makes a huge difference. Even if every shot doesn't deal as much damage the ones that do penetrate something important just absolutely wreck the enemy.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

squidflakes posted:

Awwww gently caress yes!

So how is the making GBS threads on wheraboo/weeaboo pubbies minigame in World of Battlebotes? Are the forums just as thick with ignorance and racism?

The two forum threads I looked at were full of anime avatars/sigs, mostly related to that Kantai Collection thing or whatever it's called

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

AfroSquirrel posted:

I can't decide which is better: Torpedoes or pretending I'm a pirate firing broadsides from my St. Louis

I don't have torpedoes yet but firing broadsides is both hella fun and profitable. I fully upgraded my St. Louis in one* match. Also, eat poo poo battleships:

Stock warships in this are just as viable as stock planes in War Thunder, it rocks.

*the very first match in it was a miserable defeat where I got like 150 XP and I refuse to count it

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Fart Car '97 posted:

Does the game ever stop being just non loving stop smokescreens of invisible ships firing torpedoes out of them because every Tier 2/3 game has consisted of that, over and over.

I've yet to run into that and I'm almost to tier 4.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

I thought that I had seen all the St. Louis had to offer. Then I got the upgrades. My ship is made of guns.

Battleships flee before me.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Sphrin posted:

Holy poo poo after playing a few games I feel like a pubby, its going to take a while before I can completely wrap my head around all the different mechanics and how much situational awareness you need. It's way too easy to get tunnel vision and keep clicking away at enemy botes and run into a terrible situation. Gonna need lots of practice right clicking and taking a look around after every volley.

A tactic I find that helps when you're just starting out is to stick to the edges of the map/near islands/etc where you only have to worry about what's going on to one side of your ship.

e: actually, minimizing incoming fire is a pretty good idea in general, not just for new players

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Chillyrabbit posted:

does changing speed change your turning radius, As in going slower you can make tighter turns?

Boats are weird and have more responsive controls at higher speeds. I don't know the best speed for making turns but generally I go into turns at full speed or 3/4 speed.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

My favorite shots are the ones where your aim is off and 3/4 of the salvo misses, but then one or two shots go wide and hit dead on for full damage and crits.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Nordick posted:

Oh god, these are amazing. :haw:

HMS Ignoble
HMS Immemorable
HMS Interchangeable
HMS Inconceivable

This document is the gift that keeps on giving.

HMS Inflammable
HMS Irreclaimable
HMS Irredeemable

If we ever get to name our ships I'm totally calling HMS Inflammable.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Pubbies seem to forget the Phoenix has torps. It's so satisfying to blast a battleship and then just zip away when they try to get close.

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2015

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

demonR6 posted:

Yes, it's flying the SA colors.

It would rock if they made your ship's flag display your clan's icon once clans are implemented.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

zxqv8 posted:

What I'm gleaning from this thread is that the game is suffering most of the same balance and progression and pubbie issues that World of Tanks did and still does?

These IJN ships sound like loving dogshit.

It's loads better than WoT even in this state. The main problem is balance, yes, but that's because it's early closed beta and there's only two (incomplete) tech trees in the game.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there detailed instructions out there for the game, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to shoot torpedoes, mostly because when it's time to shoot, I'm pretty excited.

What is the exact sequence?
Something like:
Target enemy
Press X to get torpedo lead indicator,
Use 3 to select spread...
and then what? Is there a separate torpedo button? Do I left click while 3 is held down or something?

when you press 3 to "select spread" it switches your primary fire button over to firing torpedoes.

In short: press 3, left click, press 1 or 2 afterwards to re-select guns.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

demonR6 posted:

Meanwhile you are wondering why half of your fleet is ramming each other or beaching themselves...

Just give each team one ship for the entire team to attempt to control, make the remaining ships on each team AI.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

RVT posted:

I think it tops out at 6(?), but that game more or less exists.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/209080/

I think Guns of Icarus Online tops out at 4, but it's still hella fun. I still don't get why it's not more popular than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

ranbo das posted:

Is there a thread for hilarious US military fuckups, like pretty much every new ship and plane they try to introduce?

Here's the F-35 thread in GBS, it's more or less what you're looking for.