Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If I'm enjoying torpedoes but don't want to rely on them, should I go up IJN or US cruisers first? And do the BBs get less painful past the Wyoming/whatever the T4 Japanese one is? The Wyoming wouldn't be bad if I wasn't getting 90% T6 games where everything out ranges me.

I've only played to T3 but every match I play of this game has me going up against whole teams of T5-6 (except for the poor T3 rear end in a top hat on the other team who is there to balance me out) . I want to try a carrier but I don't think I have the patience to last through the god awful south carolina and whatever the other battleship is to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Thanks whoever posted the link for that $3 code, worked like a charm.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I missed the conversation of the MK 14 torpedo by a page or so, but if any of you are ever in the area I recommend the Naval Undersea Museum in Keyport, Washington. It is full of interesting stuff and has a large section of submarine warfare in WW2 (including all about the awful American torpedoes that were used in the beginning of the war). It's a good stop if you are taking a trip to the Olympic Peninsula.

Back on topic, I unlocked a Sampson today and had my first few hilariously bad matches in a destroyer. It was a lot of fun but so far I am terrible at aiming torpedoes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Trying to finish the South Carolina has completely obliterated my will to play this game. I hate it so much. It's a downgrade in almost every way from every other ship I've played. I'd rather play the Chester.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Stevefin posted:

I have had this happen a few times playing CV's with auto drop, Auto drop planes will freak out if the ship does sudden course change when they are at the edge of their drop zone. It can be really great if they freak out and all of them hit the target on their new course, but I have also seen them drop them in the opposite direction than intended

I just love how torpedo bombers can circle my ship and instantly turn 180 degrees around while launching torpedoes with perfect precision to sink me at my spawn while the carrier sits behind an island 30 km away.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Throbbing blob posted:

What are you supposed to do with the floating piece of poo poo that is the South Carolina? HP of a cruiser, manuverability of a bridge support, gets matched with t4's and t5's that shits all over me.

I feel your pain. I'm seriously considering finishing it off against bots. It's the only ship I've played where I often have little to no actual fun in a match. It's especially fun how any opposing carrier can take you out with ease at will if they happen to notice you.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

yaay posted:

what's that minekaze? My cruisers and destroyers are dead or on the other side of the map and It's midgame? I need to be able to potentially dodge a spread of torps worth 45k of torpedoes every thirty seconds literally at all times? Mid tier jap DDs are probably the only lower skill-floor thing than carriers in the game, and one single spread hitting is enough to earn their keep in a game. Torps either need a longer cooldown, to be spotted sooner, or to be consumable.

They make it a real treat to level low tier BBs, that's for sure.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I admit I'm not all that great at this game, and I'm even worse with DDs since I rarely use them. I typically either find myself the center of attention and get sunk quick, or I spend the whole mission chasing people because I chose one way and the other team chose the other way. Having said that, I just played a game with a Wickes were I was one of the lower tiered players. No problem, that seems to happen a lot. The map begins and I start zooming off some direction and within like 10 seconds some rear end in a top hat starts bitching to the team about me and how I need to learn to drive a DD (I'm literally like 2 km from my spawn and not really near anyone on my team). I go around an island and start to get mixed in when some other guy on my team starts complaining about how 'new DD players should have to play a tutorial and coop 20 times' ( I assume he's talking about me because the only other DD is dead). I ended up harassing enemy carriers and my team managed to win. I got garbage for points since a Murmansk sank both carriers before I could get close enough for my crappy American torpedoes to finish the job, but I capped a point at the end that ended up tilting the match in our favor.

Seriously, what is with some of the people playing this game? I see a lot more raging than I've ever seen in War Thunder. I think he was pissed that I didn't immediately charge for one of the capture points among a bunch of islands, but the other team had like 5 Japanese DDs that were all higher tier than me so I knew that would pretty much be suicide. I should have turned around and torpedoed his rear end (he was in a carrier of course, it seems like 90% of the bitching I see in this game comes from carrier captains).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 1, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Try the IJN DDs. You get 7+km torpedoes starting at T2, being able to poop out hail Mary spreads helps, even if a lot miss. Especially at low levels where most BBs don't weave or change speed at all.

Well, to be fair most South Carolina captains are probably going so slow you can't tell the difference anyway (and weaving in one? lol).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Night10194 posted:

The DD life is exciting and awesome.

I need to join some games with goons so I can see how it's done. I tend to do 'ok', but I've yet to have one of those crazy matches where I sink 4+ ships. I've watched youtube vids and stuff, but my experience is a little different (for one, my opposing teams seems to be much better shots than most videos I see!). I just upgraded my Clemson so I think I'll spend some real time on it when I'm not trying to level my Wyoming.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think I set some kind of record in a match tonight. Using a premium ship (Murmansk) with premium time I ended a match with 159 total xp. Pretty epic.

Edit: I actually got less. Confused that run with a different terrible Clemson run.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 3, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Holy gently caress, I have a 60% win percentage with the South Carolina and it's considered my top ship. I never would have guessed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Halman posted:

Could someone link the aforementioned Murmansk bundle?

You have to get it through a key reseller. I bought one from Kinguin a few weeks ago for around $3, but I just looked now and the cheapest they have now is closer to $12.

As with any reseller though, buyer beware. For me $3 was worth the risk and the code I got worked without any issue.