Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Calling dibs on FOG_BUTT_TORPEDO

Kinda surprised on how fun this game can be. I haven't play WoT in ages (basically since War Thunder Ground Forces), but WoW somehow manages to get a bunch of things right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Krogort posted:

drat Wargaming, as if tripling the XP cost of everything wasn't enough, they halso nerfed the XP reward by a good half.
The grind to decent ships will be awful and I will probably burnout from this game before I reach T7.

The good ships are tiers 1-3 :ssh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So how do you actually buy a ship if the store page doesn't exist?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Krogort posted:

Can't buy ships anymore, you need to buy gold then buy a ship with gold.

I get a 404 on the store page though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Krogort posted:

This one ?
https://eu.wargaming.net/shop/wows/

US website has other ships including a premium Tier 4 battleship.
https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/
15€ for a Murmansk :signings:

502 on the EU site, and 404 on the US site :p

This is a good thing though. I didnt' want to spend my money.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Clearing cookies and logging in again seems to have fixed. Guess whatever login session I had with Wargaming's site was FUBAR..

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Already seeing tier 7 and 8 BBs in tier 5 games. GG Wargaming, GG.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think I'd enjoy Battleships as much as I do. There's nothing quite like having all 6 guns broadside another Battleship into oblivion from full HP. I just don't have the patience for Destroyer play.

The St. Louis is also quite hilarious for its tier. The amount of shells you can place down range is amazing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

The Omaha and Cleveland aren't as powerful within their respective tiers, but they follow the same formula of vomit shells, take names, give no fucks.

The Phoenix seems pretty good too. The gun angles seem very nice as well. I've seen people able to keep a lot of guns on target by doing a small serpentine.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

Do you mean those guys who can seemingly drop torpedoes about 20 feet away? Because I have no idea how i'm supposed to handle those guys. It's like if they want someone dead they're gonna die and you just have to hope it's not you.

Seems like the solution would be simple to fix this. Increase the min arming time/range so that the have to drop with a decent bit of lead time.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a key that lets you fire all your currently facing guns at the same time? I've watched some streamers do this consistently.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't connect to the server right now. Looks like it went poop.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

demonR6 posted:

Work your way to the St. Louis then fully upgrade and never sell it. Skill the commander once you get one until he has his PhD in something something and enjoy raining hell on people. You only need to worry about higher tier BB's that can range you but if you just float around looking for more edible targets you can kill it is very satisfying.

Pretty much this. Never stop firing 8 cannons, ever.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ratzap posted:

I'm finally starting to get the hang of the Tenryu, I still can't play a destroyer to save myself though. I got stuck on an island once in this game but I'm getting a grip on the speed of the thing, when to use the guns and when to close in for torps.

The concept that really solidified DD play for me was the magic 6-7 Km window you have for not being detected (some ships you can get to within 5). If you're that close and know how to lead/anticipate what your target is going to do if you're detected you'll start really getting those torp runs in.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand how some of you are having hard times with your BBs. Yes they are slow, but the payoff is huge when you one shot broadside someone for >58k damage. Each ship has it's own unique firing pattern, learn how to play into it and you'll do good. Don't auto dump your entire load either. Fire off one gun to see what your lead time should be, and then bukkake them ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Some of you have either really bad luck or are grossly exaggerating. Yes at max range the spread requires some sacrifices to RNGesus. 800m? I don't think I've seen any really miss unless it was a DD and I grossly underestimated their lateral speed. Long range sniping fests in BBs are are trap none the less.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Ships sailing parallel to me, speed judged perfectly, shells splashing into the water or directly over the top of the masts that otherwise should or would have crashed into the middle of the hull. I'm not sure I even know what game you're playing if you think battleships are at all accurate or capable of consistent damage at any range.

This hasn't been my experience at all at anything around 5K or closer. :shrug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilverMike posted:

Which ships/captain skills/upgrades have you been using? I'd really like to know when I can expect your experience with BBs!

Have up to the New Mexico BB right now, Captains are down into Tier 4 upgrades, off the top of my head I can't remember which options I chose for them. Ships are all fully upgraded.

I tend to cut speed when firing broadside, or even long range. Perhaps that's factoring in? I also tend to fire one ranging shot followed by all the rest at once.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NTRabbit posted:

Ranging shot makes no difference to spread and the randomness of damage

That's not what I range the shot for..

Hazdoc posted:

I don't think anyone thought that was the point of ranging shots.

This.

I'm almost positive there is a difference in shot spread between firing one by one and all at once with a favour going to all out once. My own experience has been better shot grouping in general.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Starting out on the CV line right now is going to be a lovely experience. I wish I had hopped on that bandwagon a bit sooner. I do have some really nicely upgrade DDs, BBs and CVs though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rossmum posted:

I panicked a pubbie Pensacola so badly from my first (citadel-crushing) AP salvo last match that he proceeded to beach himself, allowing me to citadel him a second time and then nearly finish him before he finally got into cover.

The Atago is loving filthy.

STOP MAKING ME WANT TO THROW MONEY AT THIS GAME!

Seriously though, I spent enough on tanks as it is :negative: I am really happy with the Warspite so if the Atago is a solid CV I might have to persuade myself to get it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

I'm never really clear what it means by citadel on a boat, is it the conning tower? I've not come across it before.

It's been covered a few times in this thread but it's basically hitting a ship in the soft, squishy bits for extra damage.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

Unlocked the first US destroyer.

How close should you be for torps to have a chance of hitting someone? I've tried firing one launcher directly at the current location and leading with the second launcher on a side by about a ship length from 6km away, but the enemy always seems to dodge them somehow by either turning directly toward them and going between them or by simply outrunning the lead.

I managed to get directly next to an enemy ship and loose them once yesterday, but they survived that killed me as I was switching to guns and unloading.

Go down the IJN DD line instead :shobon:

US DDs have really crappy range on their torps.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack_tripper posted:

wowp is inferior to running around the backyard with your arms stretched out making airplane noises

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
War Thunder on the other hand does a great job in both SIM and Arcade style plane shootiness.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NuckmasterJ posted:

Now all we need is Warthunderships so I can never log into my Wargaming account again. I feel so dirty just being this close to WoT :(

Yeah I haven't logged into WoT since WT-Tanks became a thing. Well, I'm lying. I logged in a few weeks ago "played" a round or two and logged out in disgust. Would rather play WT-Tanks in arcade mode.

That being said, I'm surprised how much fun WoS is and WT-Ships would own because you know they'd actually add in submarines :getin:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I keep getting my poo poo absolutely wrecked by torpedo planes, they just drop 'em so drat close.

This is why a lot of us would like to see a 1 to 1.5 KM arming distance for plane dropped torps (or even all torps).

I've had someone drop torps in all cardinal directions to my ship in about 4 seconds. There's nothing that I could do to avoid getting instagibbed :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think air dropped torpedoes should have only a 70% effectiveness rate. Add the possibility of duds.

Remove planes from game.

Give CVs 85% ramming damage reduction.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

Stupid question: Should the St. Louis fire AP all the time?

There's no proper answer here.

AP and HE both accomplish things (dead ships) differently and in different situations. Things like what ship you're shooting at, its distance and direction it's facing, etc. Play around and see how each shell type performs. It's not too difficult to master.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That was a drat nice dodge ;)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OSad posted:

FOG and Abyssal are basically the same horrible thing...

:japan:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That streamer was playing BBs like every other bad pub. Staying at long/max range and then wondering why their salvos weren't connecting with more than 1 or 2 shells.

If you're in a BB you need to get into the thick of things. Even beardy dude mcstream did that at the beginning of the stream when he smoked that Myogi.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nessin posted:

So when playing battleships like they're meant to be played (long range artillery)

This is definitely NOT the way to play BBs.

Take shots at range, but you should always be looking for a good brawl to stick all your guns into another ships butt.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hazdoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BqQNAY_KmA
Those were some good games, Zaius. See ya around.

That rate of fire :stare:

Also the video evidence of why you should be firing AP at other cruisers. Everyone else firing back at you was using HE :laugh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

When do US Battleships get to be less of a pain? I'm currently in the Wyoming after slogging through the South Carolina.

Right after the Wyoming :xd:

The Wyoming is pretty freakin awesome if you can get in close and brawl. New York is pretty good New Mexico has decently accurate guns and is all round great.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm just getting a little weary of pubbies abandoning me as soon as the enemies are spotted (and enemy teams dogpiling on me as soon as I'm spotted; last match I played yesterday had 3 destroyers, 2 cruisers and another battleship firing on me at the same time while the cruisers and destroyers that were following me bugged the gently caress out and ran back to the other side of the map without firing a single shot at the enemy).

Here's a tip, when you're heading in a direction with said pubbies expect that they will all short turn and you should follow suit ;).

I'll usually head in a direction and when I engage the enemy I start turning away but keep my guns trained on them. Usually end up doing figure 8s for the first couple of minutes in a match to see where the enemy is heading and what team pub does.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

axelord posted:

Is the secondary range and accuracy upgrade worth it for cruisers for AA or should I stick to the accuracy mod for main guns?

Depends on how much you hate things in the air, and how (in)accurate you main guns are.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

demonR6 posted:

Ahhh MWO..I am still upset I dropped all that money on a founders only to get dicked with lovely mechs.

I feel your shamepain.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Since identical ships lying side by side could touch the screws.

That sounds kind of dirty. :q:

Applied to SEAMN as stanleypain007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tahirovic posted:

Good thing this game is so loving boring that I have no urge to buy that poo poo for that price.

You know you want it :D