Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Vengarr posted:

http://worldofwarships.com/entry_form

The website is linking to /entry_form/closed because they are dumb.

Thanks, got my entry in. I did WoT up to tier 10 in the betas, see how this compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Stevefin posted:

Is it just me or have they removed some maps for the CBT?

How far are you in? If it's anything like WoT the map rotation is based on the battle tier.

I hope it's not breaking the NDA to say I'm loving the poo poo out of this game.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
I'm bad at this game, but sometimes things work out. I'm trading shots with a cruiser when a hostile destroyer gets behind me and sends a volley of torps my way. Full astern, keep firing on the cruiser - then laugh my rear end off as I see red torps pass my bow - and slam right into my target.

I think he got hit with 3 of them that were aimed at me. It decisively ended the fight in my favor.

Enjoying the St.Louis so far, but I'm decidedly bad with destroyers.

Edit: is it possible to manually fire AA, or is that just something you let happen?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Just hit rank 5, and the captain system is dumb. It's bad that your captains don't get XP from ranks 1-4, which would mitigate it. Just track it silently and bam, you have lots of XP in your newly unlocked captains and everyone is happy.

Instead, you have to immediately dismiss all your captains that they give you and re-buy the dirt-cheap one-skill ones since there's no way to give them remedial education for dummies like you can in WoT. WHY. Why would anyone throwaway a skillpoint for 5000 credits?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

McSpanky posted:

Turns out there's a practical application for high school trigonometry after all. :smugnerd:

Sadly, that's literally the point of highschool trig. We're teaching our kids the skills needed to fight a war 70 years old now.

It would probably help pubbies if your X-lockon would give you a visual indication of how fast the turrets are rotating to track the enemy ship - without it, you get a good idea by how fast you have to move the mouse to keep them in view.

Is there a way to disable it entirely? Hitting X turns it off for a bit then it grabs another ship automatically.

Maybe I'm really good at leading, but I seem to be able to straddle or hit first volley most of the time. What I can't get is reliable penetration with AP - I thought same-tier should pen even at the lower tiers, but for me most of my shots just impact their citadel armor without penetrating. Fire enough and I'll get a solid hit by luck, but it's disappointing to see them hit exactly where you want and do triple-digit damage. I've tried point-blank and 12km out, dropping them right on their deck.

Knocking out an engine is similarly rare, but it must be trivial to do because people seem to take mine out all the time, sometimes on the first shot of the game.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 16, 2015

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Steelion posted:

Christ I am bad at torpedos. I have so much less fun and am so much worse with the T3 Japanese Cruiser than the St. Louis. Destroyers are also a slog.

Yeah I can never wrap my head around their slow, linear path. Ballistics I'm really intuitive with for some reason. I'll learn them eventually, for now I just start with close targets and gradually work my way farther out.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I use AP against destroyers because one good AP volley into the citadel is basically lights out for another destroyer. HE against everything else for the sole purpose of attempting to start fires to cause them to burn their repair.

I learned really quickly to let fires burn unless/until I was out of combat and repositioning long enough for repair to count down again. In battle, repair is only for when I take a shot below the waterline and I'm sinking.

Yeah, you take damage you could have prevented by letting fires burn themselves out, but when you start flooding the damage racks up a LOT faster. It'd be nice if flooding were a separate stat - it does some HP damage but the water level will slowly pump back down once you repair the breach. You could allow more RNG hits that do waterline damage that way, because it's something that the opponent can mitigate until the amount of flooding is beyond their buoyancy. Still, arcade-y as it is, I really like botes so far. Onwards to the cleaveland steamer!

Harik fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 17, 2015

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

xthetenth posted:

Above water so they might. Bet the firing angles suck and maneuvering to actually fire the things just gets your belt shredded and your citadel filled with love because you always angle your drat belt.

Why? Judging from what I'm reading on the forums, angle-of-penetration is something that was removed since alpha, and it's just pure RNG vs a HP pool. Which is just bonkers to me, but I'll land 100+ AP hits to the citadel area broadside in a match and come out with no actual penetration, then get 4-5 at once when someone's quartering towards me.

Also I completely agree - more guns = better than. With how bad the RNG spread is on firing, going up in shellsize at the expense of half your barrels is always a downgrade. It's why the St.Louis is such an insane little ship.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

xthetenth posted:

Even then it makes it a swine to hit you compared to compare number to range, aim to that range and lead. Also, I'm pretty sure armor is still a thing at least to some degree, it may be really underwhelming right now but it's still there. Note that there is also the confusing factor of minor client desyncs, where a ship appears to be behind where it is that can mess over good looking shots.

Wish I had some training rooms to test in.

Well since a lot of skill was ripped out of the game and replaced with RNG, I'm willing to bet that the previously-existing deflection angles are gone as well. Until they put back in practice rooms to test on, there's no real way to tell.

Where I'm currently weak is landing my first salvo on a ship heading directly towards or away from me. I'd love more practice at that, but idiot pubbies are always broadside and the better players don't give me many opportunities to hit them. :)

Edit: I guess everything about the alpha is still locked by the NDA, but people talking about it have been skirting the edges when discussing things that "might" have been in, like DD only areas (shallows), armor and angling being more important than RNG, etc. Being able to control your BB scout plane (even recall it, poo poo. It's nothing but a 5-minute viewrange buff that may RNG be cut short). I guess the previous roadmap (also NDA) publicly released screenshots had things like buoyancy and HP as separate pools in it as well.

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

xthetenth posted:

What do you feel that about? Honestly curious since the really major changes were likely before you could have seen them.

Gunnery, mostly. Compared to tanks this is incredibly trivial. If you can get the basic concept of "lead your target", some number of your shells will hit them. Adjust your lead based on if you want to citadel them or try for an engine crit. Maybe use HE situationally. Aside from that, mash LMB and see what the RNG gives you.

I haven't seen any changes, but I'd started playing expecting a similar level of simulation as WoT, from the same damned company. When I found it lacking, I checked to see when it would be implemented - and found that it WAS implemented, then removed because pubbies are bad at games.

Strategy wise, shallows meant more than just slightly more open water for DDs, it meant they could take shortcuts between islands that weren't available to the larger boats. Again, removed. Buoyancy as a stat meant that while a hit below the waterline wouldn't do a ton of damage, it could sink them if they didn't repair in time; more importantly it would leave them slower and less maneuverable. Right now there's just the on/off of engine works/rudder works, which are fixed in seconds with a tap of R. With flooding, sure, R would patch the hole, but until you get all that water pumped out you're still going to be sluggish.

What changed is I went from expecting these in a future patch, to finding out they'd already been in-game, tested, and removed in favor of what I feel is an overly simple system. See the difference? Before I was playing a game that wasn't what I wanted yet. Now it's a game that's not what I wanted, and is going in the wrong direction.

And Jesus, either give us a stipend or a few extra garage slots. Juggling ships in a loving beta test is stupid.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Strobe posted:

Because the WoT accuracy model is so RNG-independent.

:allears:

It's a tighter spread, at least on the tanks I tended to drive. I like being able to pop someone right in their ammo rack when I aim for it, dammit!

I deleted a spergy-long post about it, but the difference between the games is in WoWS you are shooting volleys, not individual shells. So it's a shotgun effect - big dispersion means as long as the giant circle is over the target, it's as good as if you're dead-center. Sloppy aim gets (on average) as many shells into them as good aim. With more accuracy, not only do you have to work to hit someone, but someone who does that work gets rewarded for it by getting more hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If somebody knows what they're doing, they'll change heading and speed and make aiming actually important. I can win battleship duels because the other guy just travels in a straight line and I citadel-hit all day. It's the same in tanks, being good is more about killing pubbies quickly than anything else.

That... doesn't change what I'm saying at all? Them turning doesn't make your spread tighter; a big spread shotgun style gives you a lot more leeway to nail someone evading.