Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Anyone still playing this game? I recently reinstalled after like 8 years to try out the subs. Meh. Especially with the recent changes, I'm not sure if I like them very much. But it does lead to some satisfying griefing opportunities.

I just got the Z-31 which apparently is considered to be one of the worst T7 ships in the game. I think I actually like it though? It's fast and the guns are really accurate so as long as you can aim well then it's great for kiting. I learned the hard way that it's pretty awful at knife fighting other DDs, but you sometimes have an advantage at mid-long ranges, depending on your aim and their ability to dodge. The torpedoes suck but your guns mean you can still be a menace to cruisers and be able to farm a meaningful amount of damage from BBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The main thing I hate about CVs is that I have to rely on passive AA to shoot down their planes. IIRC in that knockoff game Steel Ocean you could manually control your DP AA guns, it was nice, especially with an Atlanta.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

They will never implement it though because the WoWs playerbase thinks manual control of ASW is already too complicated somehow when it's literally just pushing 1 or 2 buttons.

Speaking of ASW and subs, I have started to appreciate the recent changes more. They're still not great but it's a lot better as a DD player to be able to charge down a sub and drop depth charges without having to deal with point blank torpedo barrages every 30 sec like Neo in the Matrix. It's still dangerous if you're low on HP or under fire from surface ships but at least they have a reason to fear and hide from DDs now.