Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I heard that, unlike WoT and WoWP, this game is actually fun and not chock full of stupid bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pimpmust posted:

Noon PDT was what I read (1900 gmt) but you never know.

Wouldnt it be simpler to Open for 24 hours and draw a fixed random number from that than this pain in the rear end setup?

The blog says "before noon PDT", so sometime in the next 3.5 hours. They just show up on the main world of warships website I guess?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Goast posted:

6.5 hours

West coast east coast same thing

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's true, but ships also didn't have hitpoints and shooting their guns involved a tad more than point and click slightly ahead of the guy so

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

:siren:http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/cbt-server-signups-live/ :siren:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Desuwa posted:

Ships are really just big tanks when you think about it. :downs:

I can't find the photos because it's an incredibly awkward thing to search for, but it certainly did happen where they just stuck a tank on the deck of a ship and used it as a gun.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

I want to say the Russians did this, and also used KV1 turrets on some ships if I remember my reading correctly.

There were plenty of instances of the allies just straight sticking a Sherman on the front deck for gun purposes if I remember right. Not permanently, but if they were hauling them anyways.

Lord Koth posted:

You might be remembering the first Tiger captured? Got stuck on a cargo ship for the journey to England, and the person who captured it turned its gun on a U-boat that attacked them, since it was already lashed to the deck.

Nah the pictures/photos I've seen amounted to "Sometimes the alies would put shermans on the deck to use their guns. Here's some photos of Shermans lashed to the deck of ships."

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 13, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

One of the british ships was painted in dazzle camo that consisted of neon colors, but we'll never get to see it because it was pre-color photography :(

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

squidflakes posted:

Will Wargaming ever produce a game that doesn't have some lovely masturbation fantasy anime associated with it?

No, these weirdos go hand in hand with the WW2 game genre. The only course of action is to embrace the opportunities to troll it provides.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is the game generally very spikey, ping wise, for anyone else? Lots of (small) rubber banding. Not really affecting gameplay at all but really annoying.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is there a mumble or anything where people are gathering to form divisions?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does the game ever stop being just non loving stop smokescreens of invisible ships firing torpedoes out of them because every Tier 2/3 game has consisted of that, over and over.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I always see like one or two people doing this in every game, but I've yet to see more than that. Fortune frowns upon you tonight, ship brother.

Here's every Tier 2/3 game I've played in a nutshell:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Prav posted:

There's less smoke if you don't go into DD alley.

It doesn't matter what map or where it is, every game I played at Tier 2/3 has looked like that. It got so loving obnoxious I just dropped back to Tier 1

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Republicanus posted:

That was with me and 3 other destroyers. You ended up killing me at last after I killed a battleship and staggered out of the smoke with like 1/50th of my HP.

Get dunked shitlord :thurman:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man that first Battleship, the Kawachi, is rad. The guns aren't accurate and don't have great range but rounding and island with all 4 batteries aimed and ready to fire more often than not results in your target straight vaporizing :allears:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hopterque posted:

Having really bad rounds in battleships really, really sucks, getting in bad spots and missing all your shots, etc.

I love it when the rng just decides all your shots will go wild and straddle the ship you dialed in perfectly because gently caress you

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Does this game cause the volume levels of everything else on anyone elses machines to drop to almost nil when you run it?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

My opinion of battleships:

They're really good

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

So at what ranges should I be using HE? Given I'm on a Myogi with ~ 13k max range

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Look, I can get away with it every game so you're probably just bad at destroyers :shrug:

It's okay, I'm trash at Battleships and my shots always straddle what I'm shooting at.

Battleships should just use AP all the time, unless you need to kill destroyers.

Works for me :toot:

Also is there any way to improve the accuracy of guns in general? Will spacing out your firing make shots land closer to where you're aiming? Because it loving sucks to let a volley loose only to immediately know it's not going to score gently caress-all for hits because it's shotgunned all over the goddamn place.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I put my Myogi between a Kongo and our Carrier and he had enough time to drop torps, miss, land, drop more torps, and miss again before I died. Fucks sake :psyduck:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shooting at max range is a dice roll, but got drat today I magazine-critted a cruiser at 15km and it was radical. drat near spawn to spawn, he mad.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

I'm talking about sheer cliffs dropping straight into the sea. They have no shores to run aground on.
And I would be totally okay with taking damage if I actually hit a cliff. I am not ok with getting permanently magnetised in place even when no part of my ship is touching anything.

Today I got was driving a BB and two DDs let a volley of torpedoes off at me and another BB near me. We both went into evasive turns that caused our hulls to brush together.

We instantly stuck together and stopped dead in the water and both volleys of torpedoes went wide when I should have eaten a few and the other guy should have been wrecked. But we both came out scratch free and proceeded to wipe the destroyers.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Prav posted:

Clevelands don't get torpedoes (and are tier for tier the best CA in-game) so yeah. A +1 tier CA under excellent conditions still didn't actually finish you off, took half his health in return and had to gently caress off.

The way I see it CAs are defensive ships. You protect your BBs from aircraft and sneaky DDs until the enemy ships have been whittled down to a point where you can strike unaware targets. It always surprises me when a CA pushes forward and runs right into the guns of a battleship. What did they think would happen?

Generally I find I die when I'm not thinking far enough ahead. What makes this game neat is that you need to be thinking on a much larger time scale than most arena games. When I'm driving a BB I'm thinking 5 minutes ahead and constantly reevaluating where that leaves me based on the minimap. When it takes drat near 60 second to rotate all your guns, you really do need to be planning your moves out in advance. Don't get tunnel vision, don't get greedy. Stick with your other BBs, because even if they're dumb pubs, 3 BBs can survive a lot and kill a lot. Just let them be the first to draw fire and have your exit strategy planned in advance.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A fully upgraded Kongo is one of the most enjoyable point and click games I've ever played :toot:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like the American destroyers. You have to play super cautious and abandon a lot of attack runs but man it's rad to use smoke to cover a BB group and then nuke some unsuspecting cruiser.

I can't help but feel like they deserve a heal similar to BBs, though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bUm posted:

Now if only Wargaming made realistic explosions when you set off their ammo. The artist ship formerly known as Prince Yamato:

:getin:

Seriously the pyrotechnics in this game are lacking

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Game would be legitimately better if they came up with a gimmick for destroyers that wasn't smoke. Constant disappearing and reappearing ships is just dumb and obnoxious.

Or they should just implement it in a way that isn't so dumb. Make ships in smoke have no markers of any kind but still make them render or something.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 15, 2015

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BadLlama posted:

Where exactly do you shoot carriers to actually cause damage to them? loving shot a carrier 50 times in my DD to kill him everything was doing like 200 damage only.

Use torps dumbo, DD guns are basically useless against anything that isn't anther DD

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

Also I suck with DDs :(

Think of DDs like this: In the first half of the game, you just kill other DDs. Once they're thinned out, you look for targets of opportunity and jump them while they're occupied or go hunt down a carrier. Like everything you need to be constantly re-evaluating where you're going and what your next move is based on the minimap but with DDs I've found that you need to change plans constantly because you're so god drat fragile and can't afford to take any hits.

That said, DD hunting in american DDs is great. Other DDs get so torpedo-focused they don't expect you to waste them in 2-3 volleys of your guns.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shoot the middle of the ship. That's it. Citadel hits and crits are pure RNG beyond that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What the gently caress is with the game not rendering torpedoes until they're like 5 seconds from hitting? The last day or so I have played I've died to torpedoes over and over because they just materialize out of nothing far too late for you to do anything about it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Get better at maneuvering if you're under attack from a torpedo-armed ship, and start maneuvering before you see the actual torpedoes.

That doesn't answer my question. The first few days I played Torpedoes were visible from enough distance away that you could at least react. The last 10-20 rounds they've just materialized a hundred yards from my ship.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

It does answer your question. By the time you can see the torpedoes it's probably too late. If it's a destroyer, Japanese cruiser, or one of the oddball American cruisers, assume they're firing torpedoes at you and act accordingly.

Alternatively, mess with your graphics possibly.

Yes "Maneuver" is a great answer to "Why are torpedoes suddenly appearing at much closer rangers than they were before", thanks

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

My point was that it doesn't matter all that much, you should be responding to the probable attack before you see it. It's been my experience that unless I'm in a destroyer myself, by the time I see torpedoes it's usually too late to do much about it.

Yeah that's great but I wasn't asking for advice on how to not get hit, I'm generally pretty good at dodging torpedoes that I can see. As the Langley that I sunk just learned while I bobbed and weaved my Clemson in and out of TB volleys before setting him on Fire with HE, then knocking his rudder out with a Torp and finishing him off shortly After :unsmigghh:

I'll just chalk it up to the generally poo poo connection I've had to the game for the last day or so.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Why do people complain about the Phoenix? It seems great. Lots of guns with decent range, torps to slap any DDs who get through the 5x murder guns, good AAA that rewards protecting your team. Driving it has been nothing but fun :confused:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Man by the time you get up Tier 5 in things destroyers just become kind of pointless. A decent BB/CA/CL Group has basically no excuse to die to a destroyer ever. They're fun, but that's about it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

James Garfield posted:

If you're playing against ships with 4.5 km torpedo range, it's a side effect of the short range and you should stop letting destroyers get so close.
Otherwise, you aren't noticing torpedoes that are rendered. The torpedo is visible before it makes the audible warning.

Nah it's just the fact that this game's netcode is just absuolutey hosed on my machine for some reason. Planeside? 50ms, solid connection. War Thunder? Same thing. This game? 9/10 games I'm pinging 500-600ms with the lag light constantly on. Last round I had a DD 5K away fire torps at me that didn't show up until a two seconds before they hit. There was no "I didn't see them" I was looking right loving at him and watched the torps, wake and all, appear out of nothing right in front of me. Similar poo poo happens with incoming shells: They'll land ahead or behind my ship but I'll take damage like they were dead on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I love it when the other team's carriers do this when I'm in a cruiser with good AA. It's just a matter of thinking "What's the boat on my team most alluring to pubbie carriers?" and staying close enough that I can intercept planes heading for the carriers/fatass battleship.

Yeah killing planes needs to be more rewarding because this is a good way to start every match in a CA

E: Now I see the problem with the Phoenix; You end up against teams full of Cleavland's and you're absolutely hosed

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 17, 2015