Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I've just recently gotten into this game. My dad is older and has come down with some mobility issues, and has gotten really into playing this as he's not able to go out and about as much as he used to. In any event, I decided to give it a go so we could spend some time together, etc. I'm actually really enjoying the game as well, which is a plus. That said, I'm about a week in, been playing mostly DD's after a few games of cruisers at the very beginning. I love, more than anything else in the world right now, the feeling I get when 3-4 torps land on a BB.

Right now I'm in an Isokaze, and I have a few questions for more experienced players on how I should progress/things I should be doing.

Despite hearing everyone talk about how nerf'd everything is, I think I'd like to stick on the IJN DD line for the time being, because I just want to jam torpedos in big ships all day every day.

I have issues probably with every facet of my game (I mean, I've only been playing a week), but specifically...

1) Starting off. Generally my thought is "well, I don't want to rush the middle of the map, because a bunch of CA's will show up there and I will get detected and die". So I usually head for the edges of the map/around some islands. I realize there's probably a huge range of situational variables, but like, in general, should I be full throttle around the edges? I mean that's what I do now, and I have some success some failure. Really my goal has been to get around the middle contested areas, and get behind the wall of CA's to where I can launch torps at BB's without being detected. If I run into another DD and get detected though, I usually either die, or take heavy damage panic turning around and looping around an island to go try to sneak up on something else.

2) Smoke: when do I? I got onto the idea of "helping my buddies out with smoke" at some point but then realized I have no loving clue what would be helpful to other people in terms of smoke. So, now mainly I use it when I'm caught out in the open, detected by a plane or a sneaky DD or something and now some BB is about to gently caress my life.

3) Staying undetected. So, maybe this is just a matter of getting up to the tiers with 10km+ torp ranges, but right now, with 7km torps and a 6.2km detection range, I feel like there's a razor thin margin of error, especially at 35+ knots. Should I be using less than full throttle on approach? Should I angel my approaches? All of the above? What tends to happen now is I'll approach, try to launch at someone who is like 7.x away from me but is approaching (hopefully closing the gap to torp range in between launch and arrival), and then looping around back out of range. In practice, I will inevitably screw this tactic up and loop within 6.2 and get detected and shelled and then my rudder fails and everything is on fire and oh god why did I come out in this stupid tin can boat.

4) Caps. How? I hear I'm supposed to be good at it, but if I sit around in a cap zone I get f'd in the a all day by people who are also coming to contest this zone. And since now I can't be zipping along at 40 knots like a loving jackrabbit on meth in order to stay within the zone, I'm an easy target.

5) Recon. I mean, I guess, but what tends to happen when I try to recon is I find a USN DD who shoots at me lots because they have guns that work and I have guns that work once every 78 minutes while someone else is setting fire to everything I hold dear. Occasionally they do get too close and I torp them, which feels good enough to make me come back for more.

6) Torping from longer range. So, what exactly is a "skill wall"? What spread should I be using my torps at? Right now I generally use wide spread for predictive torp'ing, like sending them into a smoke cloud where I know there's people in it, and narrow spread when I'm in concealment/shooting at a BB or maybe a CA whose course I'm fairly confident in. I think that's right? I dunno, please tell me your torp spreading secrets.

7) Accidentally killing friendlies. I feel like I genuinely try to look around/at the map, see only reds toward where I'm launching, but every 8 games or so I will send torps out and then out of loving nowhere someone in their CA or DD swoops in and takes a full broadside. I feel awful when this happens, is there any more trick? Should I just fire less?

Help me be a better DD in pubbie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Victor Surge posted:

Note I play Kamikaze R, Shinonome, and Umikaze only and not the bad ones.

IJN DDs are kinda outclassed by every other DD line right now, even in the torpedo department by Pan Asian and high tier US DDs.

You can start off by heading towards caps and getting eyes on the enemy.
You don't need to get too far in, just spot the enemy DDs for your DD and Cruiser backup and use your (usually) superior concealment to your advantage. Stay near allies at the beginning. Once the enemy has thinned out, you have more leeway to roam and torp fat BBs or stealth cap.

IJN smokes are your get out of jail free cards. Don't ever use them unless you need to get out of detection. Also I wouldn't recommend sitting in smoke either near DD, since good DD players may know if your torps are still on cool down and rush your position.

Torp runs just take practice. There is a thin margin at mid tiers, but if you launch torps at targets approaching at an angle (try to avoid launching at head on targets) they will come into your torpedo's range even if they weren't when you launched them.

If there are friendlies that can get hit by your torps assume they will run into them and don't launch anywhere near them. In my last 3000 games it's only happened twice, because I'm careful.

Narrow spread always.

Thanks! So, in terms of "Stay near allies" and waiting for the enemy to thin out -- is there a non-useless way to do this? I mean I guess just living until the end of the battle is useful, but, whenever I try and do this sort of thing I feel like I'm basically just sitting around being useless. I'll watch a CA or something wading into a mess of poo poo and it's hard to just be like "well you hosed yourself bud Im outta here". At the same time though, I'm learning very quickly that even a ripe looking BB in the early game isn't that ripe, there's just always a ton of poo poo around and if you mess up in the middle of nowhere and suddenly 4 CA's know where you are your lifespan is in seconds.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Thanks guys. I tried putting that advice to use tonight and had some ups and downs, but was really happy with this game in particular

Was so close to sinking 5, but the 4 were two BBs and two CAs, first time I've ended top on the team board.

(Also zero friendly hits in 8 games :toot:)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So, a quick one -- is there anything I can do in terms of aiming to get meaningful hits on something with heavy armor with a tiny DD gun? Like a couple of times in the past few games I've been in a spot where I'm firing from smoke or can fire quickly before ducking behind an island, but if my target is a BB or even sometimes with CA's, I will hit, but then look in the detailed report afterward and see I did 0 damage. I've mainly tried to use HE for the increased chance of setting fires, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right because whatever I'm hitting isn't getting hurt, and I've never actually started a fire.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah I'm also new and it fills my random games with bots when needed

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So I'm a little bit goon in a well here but goddamn the Mutuski is an awful grind. Like sure every 10 games you get a miracle 120k damage, 4 BBs sunk etc wonder. The other 9 though are just struggling trying to find that perfect opportunity and never getting it. The ship is totally incapable of making things happen, only taking advantage of just the right situations. Also I'm salty because I just got detonated from full health in one salvo from a cruiser while coming into detection for just a second while sinking a Colorado and ending what was looking to be one of those one in ten games.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

It might as well be, half the ships I end up matched with are tier 6 and 7.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Also, is there any way to get premium ships that are no longer being sold? Like Kamikaze/Fujin?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So I decided to un-goon in a well myself and start down the USN DD line a bit just to see what the advice was all about. Things really come alive at the B-Hull Clemson. My god these guns. I feel like I'm just gonna play tier 4 random battles until the end of time. Sitting in the godlike USN smoke for an hour and a half while you plink every cruiser in sight to death is delicious. Then a random DD decides "oh, I'm supposed to be the guy to ferret this rear end in a top hat out!" and takes 2500 damage salvos 3 times and dies. There's no way this ever gets old. Please tell me every USN DD from here on out is like this.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Where does one go to enter these??

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Interestingly, I can login to the "World of Warships" section with my steam account, but when I go to the "redeem code" section and it redirects to the general na.wargaming.net shop, it repeatedly tells me to login, although if I do, it pretends like it's accepting my steam login but then brings me back to the not logged in page. Sigh.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Dude is a creepy weirdo who definitely tried to gently caress his 16 year old co-star and who knows who else. Definitely a move for the better.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

And he tried to fight a real martial artist who put him in a chokehold and made him poo poo his pants.

So he should be a Mutsuki captain?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Fubuki seems good. I ate a torp, survived, then scored three kills with five torps.

About that -- I've switched over to the USN DD's after hitting Mutsuki since it was so, loving, terrible. I'm enjoying the USN DD's a lot now, slowly improving with the Farragut and with the game in general. So, going back to the IJN DD's, would it be worth it to continue on the torp DD line or should I go Minekaze line? I think something of a hybrid between the pure gunboat/torp boat would be fun, and I feel like the Minekaze line kind of fits that role? Is the torp line more fun again after Mutsuki?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The IJN DDs are the hardest to play and the most inconsistent, especially because their gimmick is so hosed over by planes and radar- two things that become increasingly more common as you progress.

And I get that -- however have you played the Mutuski lately? I feel or at least hope it's particularly awful.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I got the Aigle, and wonder why people like the Aigle. I guess maybe if I understood how to play Cruisers/treat it like a light Cruiser it would be different. The guns feel even more floaty than USN DD's, the turret traverse takes an eternity, and compared at least to the USN and IJN DD's it turns like a drat ocean liner. Maybe someday I will come to appreciate it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Herr Bazooka posted:

But people dont... General consensus as far as I know that it is not a good ship.

Notser and Flambass love it anyhow

e: As positives, I will say the guns hit hard as gently caress when you do get them around on target, and it has a massive hit pool.

toadee fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2018

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

So, a little more than a month in, and I'm still merrily chugging down the IJN and USN DD lines, and I have some more.. intermediate questions....

1) What are some things to look out for to help push more games into the big damage/big impact category? I know it's not all about sinking ships in DD's, and I do try to do things like smoke & spot when I see the right opportunity, but I do also notice on livestreams/guide videos, that I'm definitely under where a good player would be. My average damage/WTR started out quite high on the really low tiers, took a nosedive when I started hitting tier 5, and are both creeping back up, now slightly above average and climbing. Are there guides to the different maps/common routes/places to put yourself in? Right now my games usually start off with "I will head toward a cap that looks like it will have some support from cruisers along with it and see what happens". Then, if I'm IJN, after done capping that point, I will look around the mini map for BBs straying a little too much from their herd and try to put torps in them. If I'm USN, I will try to go mill around the last spotting point for an enemy DD and go shoot it up, or cut to a good spot to sit in smoke and start fires on BBs/CAs

2) How can I make any kind of impact vs CAs? I know they are supposed to be my foil, but aside from screaming at teammates things like "if you want me to try to contest this cap with a loving Atlanta in it, could you shoot the Atlanta? Otherwise I'm not going to sit here and get radar'd to oblivion. Even non radar -- they tend to wiggle too much to get good torp runs in on them, so it's unclear what to do beyond "Avoid", which sometimes leads to those really unfulfilling games where I cap a point, maybe land 1 or 2 torps on random targets, but basically just spend the time on a sight seeing cruise.

3) Radar, I think I know the answer here, I need to memorize what ships have it, how long the range is, and how long the duration is, and if Im going near it, make sure there is solid cover between me and anything that can shoot at me. I'm leaving it here as a number because gently caress radar.

4) CVs. Ever 4-5 matches or so, I will be humming along toward a cap, come across some planes, duck into the cap and pop smoke, and then notice, oh god, 2 torpedo bombers and 2 dive bombers are just circling around my smoke. Then I usually just get deleted 3 minutes into the match when that smoke runs out/I try to run for it and now that they can manual drop they crossdrop on my as I'm slow coming out of smoke. Honestly this happens sometimes with enemy DDs as well, but then I can at least blame myself more "drop smoke earlier or just bail on the cap if you have no support, stop sticking around just to get torp'd it does no good". With the planes though, they come on so fast and can just hover around me, and I have no AA to speak of in any DD option, so...do I just accept that if a CV captain really just wants me dead at a cap I'm dead with no say?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Chicken soup for the DD captains soul after a bunch of crappy games

Too bad he lost most of his health while they were en route.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

bloom posted:

Ah, weekends :shepicide:

Note our CV's excellent performance despite me running the AA game of my life.

On the flipside, I had one where 3 BB's came down the middle of Two Brothers, one by one, like 2-3 minutes apart from one another. I torp'd all 3 of them in my Akisuki, and I wondered what the hell the second one was thinking let alone the third. The second guy actually arranged himself sideways at a dead stop in the channel, I guess "setting a trap" for one of ours? I ended the game with like 16 torp hits.

Also, I've noticed that IJN DD play has essentially turned me into Pavlov's Dog at the sound of "swish, swish, swish, BADING! boooooooom, Enemy Battleship Foundered!" It's the only reward my brain needs anymore.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Just typing out some salty rage after getting deleted by a CV in my Akatsuki for what feels like the 500th time in a row. Honestly if the enemy CV is something with lots of Torp planes I'm just not even going to do anything but sit next to the nearest Cleveland/whatever other US ship has great AA until it's lost most of its planes, because seriously its just so lovely to realize that if they feel like it, they can simply kill you with no recourse if you aren't directly next to something with actual AA. Of course, they still probably just kill me anyway, because of course we're juicy targets, with 2 torp planes you can 100% guarantee death if you know what you're doing and there's lots of XP to be had there.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

My biggest anger is that the ONLY solution in a stealthy DD if a CV wants you gone is to simply hang back and not play

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

I have 66% win rate and 148k average damage per game in the Hakuryu, ask me about being that loving rear end in a top hat who parks a fighter on top of your Kagero all game. I should probably rebuy the Taiho though, the Midway is just stupid now and I’m not loving grinding the US CV’s too.

Taiho was what caused me to post that above. Parked 2 bombers and 2 torp planes above my Akatsuki. I mean I even, I was heading for a cap, I saw torp planes in it, noped the gently caress out to the east to meet up with our fleet there at another cap. In between he spots me, I smoked basically the second I saw a plane getting near me. 15 seconds into my smoke 2 torp planes cross drop and a bomber strafes me as I'm trying to dodge but of course can't anyway. Just so infuriating. I mean Im sure it is too for some BB players when 9 20k damage torps just appear out of the void and delete them, but at least then you can say "well you were driving in a straight line for the past minute solid, dummy". With the planes it's just "well you existed away from 3 other ships that can shoot down planes".

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Wolfy posted:

Honestly, I don't really mind CVs as a DD. If the enemy CV has time to harass you all game, it means your CV is a loving trashcan and the game was lost anyway. If the CVs are close in skill, you have to be careful, but he will be busy trying to counter your CV for most of the match. Getting crossdropped in the first 5 seconds entering a cap sucks, but that's life.

I mean I get what you're saying, but like it doesn't have to be all game. Like, you can bet in a domination match that the DDs will be running to cap points. I do this in my Akatsuki because Im a good team player even though it's not the greatest cap contender. Now they have 3/4 points to find you at. All they need to do is say "oh, well I'm in a Taiho, and they have an Akatsuki, let's spend 45 seconds finding and eliminating it and we'll be that much more ahead". It's a bad mechanic because it actively shits on the DD player for doing their role.

Anyway, whats a good way to make credits? I have long since researched Kagero, but I'm struggling to earn the 9+ mil to buy it

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

As a DD I will constantly target BBs just to get a feel for their headings/rudder habits if I'm going to launch on them or not. Same really with CAs too, and I'll just use the torpedo indicator sometimes to see how quickly distant targets are turning. Anyway, I hope this is also loving with their heads.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

TheFluff posted:

The latter. Late in a game, when you get spotted and targeted by some invisible DD, if the targeting stops for a few seconds and then comes back then you know they switched to torpedoes and then switched back to guns - that is, they most likely dropped torps. It's usually quite reliable, only really turbo tryhard DD's know that it's a thing.

Yeah but knowing that they know this, it can be very nice to switch back and forth, note their behavior change, and then do it again, and then launch. In my IJN DD's also I tend to switch to torps after every salvo because my reload is long enough, so, it's not really much of an indicator of anything.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Just watched a little bit of a CV player stream and it confirmed all of my salt. "Oh, look a DD .... *click click click* *zap*". Totally unavoidable, totally no recourse, and totally no risk to the CV.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

The DD counter to CV planes loving them up is to stay near their anti-aircraft cruisers.

So essentially, don't play. There's nothing to do in a DD if you're hip hugging a cruiser or a battleship. You need to be out in front spotting and capping or you literally aren't doing anything.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I was a little hesitant but said what the hell and grabbed Harekaze to earn credits with. First game out

Yeah I think she'll do. Do people like running the Akizuki or USN guns more on this?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

HFX posted:

Akizuki if you have IFHE. The US guns are a bit lack luster, and I'm not sure they are better than the Japanese ones.

I'm right now with a 13 point captain, so I've been running:

PT, PM, AR, LS, SE, CE, and figured my remaining 6 would end up in SI and then I wasn't sure between TAE and DE. I mean I also have just the one IJN captain to run with at the moment, so I need something that is usable across the DD line. I had thought of IFHE as more for the brawling sort of DDs. Although I've also been unsure how much use I get out of PT. I can count on one hand the number of times I'm spotted and the targeting number isn't roughly equal to the number of enemy ships I'm within draw distance to.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Polyakov posted:

Japanese guns arent bad per se, just their turret traverse sucks rear end. .

Ain't that the truth. As it is, paying attention to have my turrets lined up, against the right opponents I will brawl inside a cap in Akatsuki. Especially seeing what happens after the first salvo. They hit pretty loving hard on a DD and I think a lot of captains get surprised that an IJN torp boat just smacked them with guns and you can really take advantage of it. When you suddenly have a problem on the opposite side though, oh god. That wait is unbearable. The guns themselves though do solid damage and have great arcs.

I will try out your suggested build for a bit, I think it does make more sense. I really wanted to figure a way to get DE in there, although maybe it wouldn't really make as big a difference as I thought. I try often to land a torp on the nose/bait the damage con, then set a fire and duck away, so the increased fire chance seemed really nice.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Anyone catch the Flambass Death Race events?

Basically teams of all V-25's race a figure 8 around the big islands in Two Brothers, trying to be the first on their team to get back to their cap. Also there are CVs on each side sending torps and bombs at the players. CVs can't shoot at each other but use fighters for spotting. V-25's all shoot torps only at each other (including friendlies), Death Race style.

The first attempt was 3 CVs, and all V-25 torps. The amount of torps was... a bit much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRF5zVz0f6Y

The second try cut it to 2 CVs per side, and the V-25's were allowed only front torps. This time people actually finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qn_-Uk9cKg

I feel like we need to make this happen with Goons.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Rorac posted:

Give me a date and time and I will find a way to make it there.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this or else I probably would. How do you host a training server?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I realize I am still very new, and as such I don't bother noting these things in game, because well it seems like a waste of time, but wanted to vent

1) spotted 2 Akatsukis and a z-23, with a Hipper and a Nurenberg behind me. I call out spots on all of them. Does anyone shoot at them? No. They shoot at a Bismark like 8k farther out. Then a friendly Aigle behind me launches tops, to dodge them I slam on the brakes, which stops me long enough to get spotted by the 3 DDs. What the gently caress guys.

2) Watched some dude in his Maas sitting and staring at an AFK Colorado 6km away from him for like a minute. He then lurks around at 1/4 throttle. Finds an Akizuki, gets IFHE shredded in like 30 seconds. GJ dude way to not torpedo the AFK BB.

3) Close late game on two brothers, I'm around the west side hunting down a Fubuki. An enemy Myoko at about 1/3 health is spotted in the middle. Someone asks if I can go send tops down the middle. Now, I'm like 12km away and there is a full health KGV sitting in our cap so I say "can't KGV take him? I'm out of position". Fast forward a few minutes, I've take out the Fubuki and torpedoed a Bismarck for good measure and I'm heading back to cap. The Myoko was doing some cat and mouse poo poo and is just now coming out. Somehow the KGV manages to not only not shoot him once he gets torpedo to death. The Myoko then somehow also takes out a cruiser we had in cap. Is the Myoko some insane ninja domination machine I don't know about?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Pacra posted:

Part of not getting too frustrated at the game - and it is just a game! - is accepting that there is some percentage of battles that are unwinnable and the fun part is seeing how many you can take down with you before expiring, Klingon style.

Yeah, and I mean, I know I make lots of mistakes too, I haven't been playing long enough not to. I'm sure people get frustrated as gently caress watching me make poor tactical decisions, beaching myself like an idiot while trying to flee, making a turn that sails me broadside toward where I should know enemy torps are coming from, etc. I feel like I'm on a 'course correction' trajectory right now where I started out way way too aggressive/hanging myself out for caps, to swinging way way too passive and doing stupid BB hunting nonsense, back to being maybe a bit too aggressive but driving toward identifiable goals, to being too passive and bailing on goals I could win if I worked at it, etc etc. Still a process. I just wonder sometimes if it's this same sort of process for all of these other people. The dude in #2 of my vent I think honestly was just high. When I go back and think on it, the way he was literally parked in front of that AFK Colorado for like a solid minute seems like the kind of thing someone high as gently caress and having trouble maintaining track of passage of time would do. I bet he thought he was glancing at it briefly.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

HFX posted:

This is one of the most infuriating things about many team oriented multiplayer games, especially WG ones. Solo, no matter how good you are, you generally only turn 1 extra game per 10 into a win. Even with a good platoon, You are lucky to turn 2-3 extra games into a win.

There is also the matter of satisfying games vs unsatisfying games. I got multiple polls this weekend about satisfying vs unsatisfying games. However, I feel without explaining why it was good or bad, its useless. I had 2 games in particular that stood out to me. One was a game with someone in a Saipan with 23 games under their belt. The enemy Ranger was able to drop with impunity. The other was a game where we had driven more than half the enemy team into 4 squares on the map. Even though I got plenty of damage and kills, it wasn't very satisfying as it was mostly a turkey shoot.

Yeah I got one of those too in a game where I got blown up by a Shima torp like 2 minutes into the game like an idiot. So, sure, not satisfying, but, what is WG gonna do about it? I certainly don't want them to nerf IJN torps any more, I want me to not be such an idiot about where I put my boat.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

I don't think torpedos are an "unrealistic" source of damage. Yes, you have to plan them well. Yes, you will get unlucky sometimes and poo poo happens in transit. No, you will not realistically be torping from max range all the time or even most of the time. You will hit people and when you do it's a shitload of damage.

Actually to the range point -- I was thinking when I get a few more captain points to try running torpedo accel on all of the IJN torps I use from now on. I mean right now in Kagero I'm not really even trying to hit someone at max range. With 5.4 concealment I'm launching on dudes that are around 8km anyway, and the boost in speed should make something of an impact on how often they land no? Especially I think with the later on 12km torps it seems like a better idea than trying to get max range. Thoughts?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah, you can have lovely luck, but you can also help improve your odds. Like, look at the mini map. Is that BB going to turn this way or that? Which way is going to put him nose in to your fleet? Is this person likely to be hugging that island? Does this person look like someone with "a place to be" ie booking it in a straight line? You tend to get those at the end of matches, I catch cruisers making beelines for caps way more often than you'd think because of it. Again, it's not guaranteed damage, but it's not "unrealistic", because probably 80% of my damage comes from torpedoes and I have had many 100k+ games (and many 10k and under games, mostly due to dying early like an idiot though).

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

You can do all of that and still hit nothing, because after correctly predicting that the target battleships best course of action is to turn left, and present his nose to your battleships, and his speed will put him here, with your torps already out of the tubes, the ship turns right to expose his full broadside to your battle line, throws his engine into reverse, and your torpedoes miss by approximately 8km.

All of the logical deduction in the world crumbles in the face of some of the idiots playing this game.

Yeah I'm just taking exception to the word you used: unrealistic. Realistically, quite a bit of torpedo damage is done. It is certainly unreliable, it is certainly not guaranteed, but I land torp damage nearly every game I play (and don't die early like a moron), so it's not unrealistic.

e: I think maybe you just don't like IJN DD's in general. "I found the torpedo damage too random and the guns too anemic to make much of a difference" is a good title for an IJN DD thread. Personally, I prefer the IJN DD's to the USN DD line I've been working through as well, because I like things at the extremes. Even if it's more challenging, and even if I think that, objectively, the USN DD's I have are "better" than the IJN DD's I like more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

dublish posted:

Please stop now and read his post again.

Weird, I really thought I had looked back on it to check before and read unrealistic.

Regardless, I get all the complaints about IJN DD's, but I also think they go a little overboard. You land torps, it's fun and awesome. You also CAN shoot things, especially other IJN DDs (who tend to do the "OH MY GOD SHELLS LANDED POP SMOKE HIT SPEED BOOST WIGGLE WAGGLE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT GET ME OUTTA HERE SOMETHING WENT BANG", and I mean, I do this too).