Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I get the feeling torpedoes are going to be the arty of WoWs. If they are not good enough, pubbies will suck with them and cry until they are buffed. If they are good enough for pubbies to do ok with them, then skilled players are going to be utterly overpowered with them. Of course, the difference is that in WoT arty is only a small minority in every game - in WoWs, torpedoes are THE defining weapon for half of the ship classes :shobon: They better get this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

xthetenth posted:

What I needed from a boats game was more variation in the effects of a given action. (Shell damage is purely deterministic, it varies based on what it hits, and if anything the hitboxes are too small for getting non-random results). Compared to oh hey look that one missed blowing that ship sky high by a foot.
I wouldn't hold your breath, given that both tanks and planes are simple numbers games with damage reducing HPs and only the occasional ammo rack or knocked out gunner to spice things up.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I would desperately love a key :ohdear: US player

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Thank you for the key!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I honestly don't really find the game to be as fun as I expected. The core of the game is really solid, the problem is with everything in the game that isn't shooting at other ships.

Top complaints for me: The maps are terrible and there are too few of them. The only map that I like is the beginner map, the islands make for some fire lanes while providing cover. It also doesn't make sense to restrict maps by tier when you only have 5 maps. Also, the domination style maps end way too quickly, a team that caps 2 points quickly and manages to get a decent point lead early on will win.

Another thing for me is that going up a tier doesn't feel like I've actually improved a ship all that much, outside of the US cruiser line and some of the battleships. The destroyer lines in particular just look dull from tier 5 on. In tier 6 and above games, it feels like the match is decided by who has the most battleships, and the cruisers and destroyers don't feel as useful. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful if things go right, but battleships are just better. Carriers are just really boring to play against and to play.

I feel that ships could really do with being tougher though. I wouldn't mind if the damage control system had stored charges, so you could say use 1, then 30s later use another, but now there is a 2 minute recharge per use. Its not fun being taken out of the game for a couple of minutes because the rudder is broke.

It just sort of feels like there is less to do. You line your ship up, start tracking enemy ships and just play the shot landing game, of which it feels like you have only modest control. Everything revolves around the massive citadel hits which is kind of boring. Compared to tanks, I just feel like there is so much less I can do to play well.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Not really. To me it'd just end up being more arbitrary and random.
On the flip side, managing damage control if it involved sacrifices, on the fly decisions with limited resources, etc would give you something else to do beside "lead the enemy ship".

Really though, I think the biggest thing they need to do is differentiate the classes more.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Zettace posted:

I think limiting carriers and BBs to 1-2 each per team with the rest being filled by cruisers and DDs would go a long way to make the game funner.
It would never happen and never work. Everyone dreams of playing their glorious BB deathstar.

A better fix would be to remove the big range advantage on BB's and increase the speed/manuverability on cruisers. Maybe also create maps where it is not always obvious where the other teams ships will be - right now a high tier BB can just line up for his shots at long range because he knows the enemy will be in spot X.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

What the hell is up with the target lock key? Sitting there with an enemy destroyer at 3km, pressing the key but I'm still locked onto some loving cruiser at 9km.

Also, I just unlocked the Cleveland and I can only come to the conclusion that Wargaming sat down and asked themselves "What are the things that pubbies in WoT struggle with the most?" and then removed them all. Crew skills and percents with multiple crew members? Lets simplify a ship with 1k people into "Captain who gets to pick the obvious skill out of 3 choices in 5 tiers". Armor penetration and bouncing? Shots always do damage and everything is RNG on citadel hits. Multiple consumable slots? Everyone gets a simple REPAIR button. Leading moving targets with accurate guns and tracking people at range? Ship guns are so inaccurate that you will never be rewarded for great aim.

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 7, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't understand this RNG stuff everybody is talking about. Are you trying to shoot from maximum range all game?

It takes work to safely close the distance between your ships to 5-8km, but once you're there, you can lead your shots and get big citadel hits every time.

With the Cleveland's guns, you might be hitting penetration issues because they're pretty slow-velocity and low calibre. Once you upgrade to bigger guns, citadel hits are more frequent, so long as you're hitting the right spots.
I'm talking about how a small tank with a few guys in it has more attention paid to crew health and damage control than a ship with hundreds of people and thousands of tons. I can aim for driver hatches and ammo racks in tanks, but in war ships I just kind of lead it right and throw shells towards the middle of the ship, hoping I land more citadel hits than he does.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Incidentally repair cooldown management is a pretty big deal, far more than kit when you take the first random crit. Do you let the fire burn out and risk getting gutted by flooding from a torp? Also, being able to consistently make it rain on enemies from extreme range is a pretty big reward in and of itself. You should see what you can do with the ability to consistently hit from 16+ km in a battleship (the answer is plenty of 100k+ damage games).
A single 3 minute cooldown repair that works on everything is not "a pretty big deal". Again, I have more choice to make on a 3 man tank than a ship with 800 people and numerous complex systems. "Save your repair kit for the first time a gun gets knocked out or you lose engine/steering" is not a particularly deep game play decision. Wargaming missed a huge opportunity here and making every warships game feel like a tier 1 tanks game was a big mistake.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Panzeh posted:

There's really no way to aim at anything in particular on a ship other than center mass outside secondary range, and making cruiser guns worthless against armored ships would basically make cruisers super-boring and make World of Battleships at the higher tiers even worse. Destroyer torp range scaling isn't that useful because 10km+ shots are such a crapshoot with torps and will almost never hit.

Most people's suggestions seem to be geared toward making the game more World of Battleships than it already is.

I do agree that the game doesn't have quite enough to it but I don't know if people really think through what their suggestions mean. A cruiser in a 'support' role literally does nothing but sit right beside a battleship to jack up the AA quotient and one-shot approaching DDs, not that battleships don't also one-shot DDs. The only good thing DDs do in high tiers is pop smoke.
There is something missing. I don't know if its a more advanced damage control system, more interesting spotting system, or what. It feels like they slowed down World of Tanks by ~40%, but didn't give you anything else extra to do during that time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

How are cruisers right now? Is there a good reason to play them in the higher tiers or are BB just king poo poo?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Good to know. IJN or US cruisers? Also, are they just going to fictional paper boat the Russian Navy or what?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Burno posted:

They have said all ammo will be limited eventually.

As far as hitting other boats use shift to toggle zoom and keep better awareness of the idiots around you.
This would actually make the game more interesting. Right now, there is zero penalty really for firing even low percentage shots and you should pretty much always be firing if you have something you can hit, even if you probably wont land a single hit. If they changed the shell characteristics a touch, and made it so you want to shoot HE at boats smaller than you and AP at same or larger boats, and you had to select an AP/HE shell mix, it could add another dimension.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

You do pay for ammo, check the experience and credits part of the post-game stats. It's negligible however, but we do have increased income with the closed beta.

Limited ammo is dumb, especially when everyone is travelling at several hundred miles per hour. Didn't most ships also have enough ammo to shoot for an hour or something? So it won't really matter at all?
What? Also, we are already playing a game with plenty of nonsense changes made for gameplay improvement (unless you think the Iowa could eat an entire broadside of torpedo's and keep on chugging). You might not like limited ammo (does it ruin World of Tanks for you?) as one of those, but its certainly something they could consider.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

James Garfield posted:

Look at your distance traveled versus time next game, if I remember right battleships average something like 200 knots top speed once you take acceleration and turning into account.
For extra fun, airplane and torpedo speeds aren't in the same units as ship speeds (the slowest surface ship torpedo is faster than the fastest ship, but you could outrun them last I checked), ship sizes are way out of scale with everything else, and everything has varying (huge) degrees of vertical exaggeration.
Of course the weird scaling is necessary for it to be playable but there's no good reason to list torpedo, airplane and ship speeds in different units.

I'd rather just have meaningful shell costs than ammo limits.

Oh right, ya I got ya. A ship going 30 kmph doesn't take 20 minutes to close on a ship that is 10km away :D Shell costs seems like a bad fix as it just forces premium.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

orange juche posted:

Except it does? I hope you're being sarcastic and I'm missing the joke.
In real life it does. In game it takes only a few minutes.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

orange juche posted:

Well, ships in the game are not measured in km/h anyways, their speed is measured in knots.

35 kts is 64.82km/h, which means that you would close at a little over a kilometer per minute.

30km/h is 16.07 kts, which is painfully loving slow in this game.
Right, but my 35kts destroyer doing 64km/h is absolutely going much faster than that in game. That is still ~6 minutes to ram a target 10km away and we both know a destroyer going that speed gets there in like 60 seconds tops.

tl;dr Ships in game are definitely going faster than their paper speed.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

When does AP on BB's start becoming the go to ammo? I'm at tier 4 American BB's now and it just feels better to always shoot HE.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Ugh I hope this Cleveland grind is worth it, I'm tired of the Omaha and its 5.5km torps.

First game in my stock Cleveland.

:allears: You beautiful bastard. Its fast, nimble, its turrets rotate well, ranged is solid and the HE volleys just spew death to anything your size or smaller. Started the game off by 2 volleying a Minekaze on A (while dodging his torps with my good turning), then absolutely crushed an Omaha who got beached on the corner of an island. Next up was a Fuso at 7km who had his guns turned 180. I kept HE loaded and basically either lit him on fire or blew up a secondary gun/engine/steering with every volley. Used speed to get in range of an enemy Cleveland trying to cap B and then just spread HE goodness all over their carrier as the game winded down.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

My second Cleveland game just now, we randomly had a tier 9 Iowa and the other team had a tier 8 Japanese Carrier. I stayed near the Iowa and even though I died about halfway through, my after action report said I had shot down 10 dive bombers and 10 torpedo bombers. At one point, a torp squad was going to fly over me on its way to hit the Iowa, I clicked on the planes to target them and activated my cruiser special ability. Shot down 4 of them before they could launch. Of course, our Iowa was terrible, but still.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ohsosad posted:

Really its going to be doubled?

Oh boy that's going to be rough.
That would bring it in line with World of Tanks I think. I mean, my first game in the Cleveland stock was a 10k XP daily double win that enabled me to research every single mod on the ship and get a nice chunk towards the tier 7. There is no way they will keep that up in open beta.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

afaik it'll be rewarded once OBT hits.

And yes auto drop works as long as you have minimum 2 torp squads dropping at the same time, otherwise it's easy to dodge.
I think the complain with auto drop is that the spread is bigger and its therefore harder to land one of those perfect tight lines of torps that all slam into the enemy BB.

I'm up to tier 7 in both cruiser lines and I think I'm going to push up the Japanese one first come OBT. The Cleveland is a monster, but its a very one dimensional monster and I LOVE the X factor of torps on the Japanese cruisers. Pubbies just panic when torps happen and I feel like every other game or so I get a solid chance to use them. People just seem to forget you have them. Nothing like an overzealous Cleveland coming in to finish your almost dead Myoki off and then just giving you a 4km broad side and taking him from full health to dead. 10km isn't ideal but its workable on a lot of maps. Also, for whatever reason, the Japanese cruiser guns feel like railguns with nice tight groupings, and I find the slower fire rate easier to use if I have to dodge enemy volleys or torps.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

With auto-drop 3~4 out of 6 will hit battleships if they don't turn. However even when you lose planes in a squad the cone of drop remains more or less the same, which means enemy just needs to shoot down 3~4 per squad to make a big gap for dodging.

As for cruisers it's really nice to have torps, but since it's not easy to get into <5 km range Cleveland/Des Moines are worth grinding imo. Just gotta endure around 350k xp requirement !

Tier X Zao has 8km torps and the 8/9 cruisers seem to have 10km. Its not useful every game, but when it is, god drat is it useful.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

ohsosad posted:

It did however run aground and get wrecked having achieved nothing of value which is highly symbolic of low level DD combat.
Low level destroyer combat is hilarious, especially when you get destroyer brawls at point blank range. Its like taking a bunch of ADHD 8 year olds, getting them drunk, putting them in go karts and giving them bazookas.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

tater_salad posted:

so whats the problem again?
Nothing, its loving outstanding.

Evil_Greven posted:

I've had good success pretending to actually be an escort in a destroyer.

Basically I'm sticking to a chunk of ships, staying ahead of them to scout out targets and fog plus some AA defense... with a few potshots here and there.
Could be surprisingly effective. A lot of the low/mid tier destroyers have 6-10km torp ranges and nothing is more frustrating than approaching some BB's at 12km and then suddenly there is a destroyer right smack between you and them, spotting you and denying you a torp run.

cheese fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 23, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

El_Molestadore posted:

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/open-beta-announcement/

Guessing OBT on Friday :)

You up for some poopsocking Magni?
Are any of the 3 pre-order premiums MUST HAVES? I say this as someone who has spent a lot of money on World of Tanks and has a garage full of low/mid tier premium tanks that never get played compared to my tier 7/8 premiums. None of these are the type 59 of WoWs, ya? I'm thinking I'm going to save my money and buy a few of the higher tier premiums that I will probably actually play frequently with, like the new Japanese cruiser Atago.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

So unified premium accounts, but not gold right?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Gotcha, thanks.

Also, drat the Murmansk owns bones. Its really fun and the 8km 2x3 torp launchers are hilariously good at level 5. Just had a great game that I capped off by rushing an enemy Colorado, firing one side of my torps at him from 4km, then going hard to starboard and firing off the other side. :byewhore:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Well, I've only played a few more matches recently, but I'm very happy seeing BBs everywhere. It makes it easier playing a DD. Hopefully that stays the trend, because I hate having matches where half my team are DDs and the enemy team is chock full of US CAs ready to blow us out of the water with a single volley.

The Cleveland is a beast but I think I fear the Japanese CA's more. Those 203mm's are like railguns.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Innerguard posted:

So they're removing the Kiti, but what are they replacing it with - or is it going to just be unpurchaseable?

The tier 8 Atago (its basically a Myoko with a slower RoF and torpedo launchers that have a 45 degree angle launch aim, aka you can fire them without having to totally show your broadside). It looks really solid.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Match maker is struggling right now. Been in queue for 2 minutes my tier 2 Chester and there are 212 cruisers my level in queue :iiam:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I can't see them not giving CBT people their Murmansks. Multiple official community people have directly and explicitly said we will get our ships in OBT.

Also, wow the XP gain to xp requirement seems harsher than WoT. I'm pounding out solid games in my Tenryu and its taking ages to get through.

Edit: When do you guys start moving the same captain up the ship ranks instead of just buying a new one?

cheese fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 25, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I think at least a small part of it is the games right now. We are still in closed beta, so everyone in the matches has put in the effort/energy to get into closed beta and are probably better players on average than the drooling masses who will show up next week for open beta. Also, this game is just harder to carry in than WoT. In a tier 3 WoT game, I can slaughter 5 bad tanks and do like 1/3 of the enemy teams health in damage without taking a scratch. There is no pubbies bouncing your armor with their stock gun. Its way harder to avoid damage against other players and its easier for them to damage you.

cheese fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 25, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

I highly recommend playing a Japanese destroyer and feasting on all the awful Tier IV Arkansas BB's floating around.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

So many Atago in Tier 7~8 games right now :stare:

e: 10 X 8 inch guns at 3.8 rof with 27 seconds rotation, 8 torps per side and good maneuverability. Atlanta is obsolete!
1) How are people even buying it? Shows the WoWs store as being down all afternoon for me.
2) How else could you bet at tier 8?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Aesis posted:

It's in the ingame shop. You buy it with 10,400 gold or something. Click on Japanese tree, click on Atago so it loads on port, then press 'Purchase' on the top left side.

You can squad up with Tier 5 ships and sometimes that will drop you into Tier 8 games. Or just use Tier 6~7 premium ships. I've seen a few Warspites getting dropped only to get mutilated. Currently seeing 5~7 Atago per team.
Don't have enough gold and WoWs store is down all day :ohdear:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

James Garfield posted:

I don't think it was a problem, you can elite tier 1-2 tanks in one game without premium. Progress was much faster in closed beta at the higher tiers, but I don't think it was totally excessive. Matches take at least twice as long as tanks after all.
250000 for a tier 10 is considerably more than the average tier 10 tank unlock, isn't it?
Ya the game timer is 20 minutes and I'm having matches that are lasting 12+ minutes frequently. What seems to happen is that the two teams win in different areas of the map and then it takes minutes for ships to get to each other.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Have I not been paying attention to flags or has Confederate always rewarded 10x 50% XP flags? Those are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Durendal posted:

Who said late term abortions aren't illegal? Rip game

lol so do we get to keep any of it? Or did I register for some lovely site and use my CC information to pay a dollar for no reason?