Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

whew glad my first name choice didn't get taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

quote:

Fais_1111 : hwo to shoot missile in water
Arekon1 : *
Fais_1111 : how*
SwiftBoatVetsfor9/11Truth : alt f4

It's just like Navyfield :allears:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

All those lines makes my head hurt.

It reminds me a lot of playing a Tie Defender in TIE Fighter.

I might be 200 pages late on this mention, but man, going to the Phoenix after the St. Louis feels exactly like going from DDs to CLs in Navyfield.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ArchangeI posted:

Stock Phoenix is one of the more painful experiences in the game though. It really only becomes decent with the later upgrades.

I thought stock phoenix was pretty bad, and then I got in a stock Kawachi.

There is no way the Kawachi is not the worst ship in the game.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

xthetenth posted:

Hara is totally awesome and has a great story about a lot of battles. I'm so happy Naval Institute press reprinted it, the original printing fell apart when I read it.

I just picked this up from the navy press and it's fantastic, thank you! (edit: I mean, thanks to everyone that recommended!)

Pacra fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 18, 2015

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Trip report : going from Kawachi to Myogi is like receiving glowing amber sunlight after enduring hours of inky blackness

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Russian Dev posted:

PS They say if you repeat 100 "tips do not bend over," and then a "statistics mean nothing" and "developers are lying", you can call Cthulhu.

That's a fantastic russian-translation.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I have a lingering feeling that a not-insignificant percentage of new players make it to tier 3 and 4 ships while playing only co-op and never realize it.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Two things -

1. I've played my way up to Kongo, Furutaka, Omaha, and Hosho - but by far my favorite ship to play in is a South Carolina. Max out the upgrades, kill 4+ opposing ships per round. SC gets decent T3 MM. DD's try to tango with you thinking you're too slow, they die to HE. CLs at this level show their broadsides almost every time and get one-hitted by you. Enemy BBs haven't learned how to slope yet. Carriers haven't figured out how to properly torp you in response to evasive maneuvers.

2. Is Teamspeak/Mumble still a thing for anyone here? Is there any ingame channel that the majority of goons congregate? Why does this multiplayer game have the worst chat support I've ever seen? "SEAMN" doesn't ever seem to have people in it, or there's multiple redundant empty channels with that name, I still can't tell.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

There's what, 15k users on at prime? What's the WoT prime count?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Killed half the other team with an Omaha :supaburn:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hazdoc, wdarkk, it was great playing with you in division, we wrecked fools. I think we may have lost one out of 10 battles? Goon divisions make this game way more fun. Will have a mic, next time.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

You should join a goon division in teamspeak then :)

Good avatar/post combo there.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

So are aimbots rampant, or do a lot of players just get really, really good? I've had a few separate matches now where cruisers 2 islands behind me with no line of sight were still hitting me with 90% of their shots fired, and it's really frustrating.

I wanted to address this since I see it on the WG forums sometimes -

There's actually no public aim assist currently, since WG gave some fundamental Flash file protection that broke the public aim assist mod. The russian dudes that made it have no plans for another.

There's a handful of private aim assist mods, but they and the public one tend to make people perform worse at the game, not better, since by the time you hit tier 5, almost everyone is at least passingly good at evasive maneuvering. There are no aimbots existing, just aim assists, and the aim assists update on your screen with significant latency. Any change in direction or speed will result in misses, making any assist mods worthless unless you're in a t3 fight under 10km with only St. Louises, which are only driving in a straight line at the same speed.

So that means : no public aim assist means the vast majority of players play legit, the fraction of a percent that might be using a private aim assist mod are making themselves worse at the game. An aimbot taking into account your own muzzle velocity, the other ship's specific armor model, direction, turning speed, and ship speed and acceleration is a tiny sliver of possible but doesn't exist, that'd be an overwhelming amount of calculus and using c++/assembly for directx injection/checking which values are what. (edit: and due to the amount of time at range for shells to hit, it'd still be a guessing game, you could potentially have further HUD calculation giving a percentage probability of hitting, based on the previous parameters given. Anyway what I'm saying is this poo poo is complex.)

You could say... it'd be the ultimate software naval Fire Control Solution. But like the OP said months ago, any aim assist is garbage and you're better off using your brain and a decent crosshair (I prefer the scalable crosshair in Aslain's modpack, but I bet the other circular/radii crosshairs are also good for diagonals) to eyeball the above.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 10, 2015

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

If you're playing with pubbie teams, lagging behind the cruiser/destroyer flotilla or joining up with them when they reverse direction to broadside in a ship line is your best bet.

The real answer if anyone is playing this game is, even if you don't have a mic, get on teamspeak and chill in the WoWS lobby to see if anyone wants to division up. Goon divisions are the most OP thing in the game.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I like their character portraits though

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

What the hell is up with fires? Suppose it could be just terrible RNG, but tonight I'm getting lit on fire all over the place. Seriously, in multiple ships(T7 BB, T8 CA) I ended up with one fire, put out, and then very quickly three more fires all over the ship from a single enemy cruiser spamming HE. I've never seen it this bad on a regular basis. Did they change something in that mini-patch regarding those as well? And given they still haven't modified the obscene amount of damage they do, it's complete bullshit. Because Clevelands ultimately chunking 3/4ths of your health in a battleship with 40 seconds of firing sure is fun to play against. Sure, you can repair it all back eventually, but in total that takes something like 10 minutes, so I hope nothing else fires at you in the meantime.

Hell, while of dubious effectiveness, my Nagato is mounting both the Damage Control System Mod 1, along with possessing Fire Prevention on the captain, so this really is ridiculous.

Fire prevention is multiplicative, not additive. It's a useless skill.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I tried getting into the chinese game but it feels so.... blaah.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pacra posted:

I tried getting into the chinese game but it feels so.... blaah.

Nevermind, chinese game is way more fun than current state of WoWS

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

a rather good near-future sci-fi wank

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lakedaimon posted:

If the new patch notes are any indication, high tier DDs are getting quite a buff at the expense of everything else, especially BBs.

That's good because they need it.

I hope some quality of life upgrades come in, it sucks not having a persistent goon chat inside the game (there's like 20 empty SEAMN chats.)

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Considering the amount of people that post in here vs. amount of people on TS, wish there was more goonboats organization ingame or out-of-game

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I just unlocked the stock Pensacola. uggggghhhhhhhh. Any tips besides never getting close to anyone ever

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

In related news I tried watching an episode of the Arpeggio tie in anime deal and as I was expecting it was atrocious Like all anime

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I made a new channel called FloatDownHere, password is lljk .

It should persist past hosting it, so come in if you want to chat or something since everyone seems to really dislike idling in Teamspeak

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Thanks FartGod for the game late last night, you pulled out a clutch wind at the end.

Definitely going to use the FloatDownHere pw lljk channel in future, squadding with goons is much more fun / lucrative.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

demonR6 posted:

No one knows anymore because we seem to have a number of people who keep creating channels even though it is painfully evident there multiples. I think I will log in just for the hell of it and create yet another.. why not right?

Best bet is get on TS even if you are not going to use voice.

From last page - TS works but in case you cant get on for whatever reason, there's a single chat room we've been idling in, in between matches. It's FloatDownHere, password lljk . (could you update the OP, demon?)

note that you can't chat in it while in a match from what ive gathered, which is annoying as heck and makes TS better, but its there for use if peeps are idling at port.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

hi

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lady Morgaga posted:

Cleveland has bizarrely placed and well armored citadels.

USN cruisers considered to be strong up to tier 7

As a correction - Cleveland citadels have been for the most part fixed and should be in line with the rest of the USN cruiser line - somewhat harder to pen than other boats, but still doable.

And you mean strong up to tier 6, not including tier 7, the Pensacola.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

MREBoy posted:

FREEDOM DELIVERY OUTBOUND !! :911: :patriot: :fsmug:

Yeah this is getting easier, took less than 10 minutes to make that.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Posting to say that the New Mexico is an extremely good ship, one of the best in the US BB line

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

To defeat the Yamato, shoot at it until it dies.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I've asked people who have the ARP ships if anything at all is different - looks like it's just a reskin, which is boring as heck.

If they had premium features to them or played as different/better ship, then I'd care about gallivanting about with an animu-neon-vomit-troll-ship.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Agreed, NM one of highlights of the US line. The only problem with the NM that I've seen is that while your armor layout almost guarantees that you won't be citadeled by same tier AP, it also allows most of the shots that hit to be penetrations to some degree. This is bad if you are trying to brawl say, a Fuso.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

oh man late night ranked :negative:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

They really overcharge for their premiums in this game, especially compared to WoT. I think I would have dropped money on this game if they had reasonably priced bundles.

Pure speculation but I have a feeling they know their target market and somehow WWI-II ship grognards have much more disposable income than WWI-II tank grognards.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Your monthly reminder

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Anyone have the Mikhail? It seems like such an odd ship, a Cleveland-like that doesnt have very good HE, and with smoke that is not actually very useful for a CL, set up in matches where almost every other cruiser is a CA... for 50-something bucks.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

getting to ranked 10 was quite a slog. 10>5 sounds frustrating and 5>1 sounds positively painful but each rank nets you tons and tons of flags. And i want that pirate flag......

i wonder say, if you:
-have a 60% winrate in ranked,
-and each win nets you a star and each loss takes away a star,
-and attaining each rank gives you a free star that needs to be taken away first, before being demoted to previous rank,
-and ranks to 15 have two stars needed, ranks from 15 to 5 have three stars needed, and 5 to 1 have four stars needed,
-how long it will take in terms of numbers of ranked battles, on average, in order to reach rank 1. Maths, argh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Discord kinda owns

Mogami also feels pretty heavily nerfed???? :(