Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Mission accomplished :fsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Prav posted:

I didn't realize that the T10s were more expensive than in WOT. That's a hefty chunk of credits.

Comparing the US CA line with the US MT line I think I figured out how much a boats credit is worth though. Not that the economy is balanced yet.

True, but you earn a ton of money with CVs and premium. I can make 300k+ in a good round.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

So how does it play?

Like the Lexington, but with an extra squadron and significantly better fighters. The Bearcat is simply monstrous in air combat, you also get a 2 F, 2 TB, 1 DB setup which is probably the most effective planes mix there is. It can also mount a module which gives your attack planes 15% more survivability or 5% more speed for all planes.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 26, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

"Carrier fag" seems to be the new buzzword.

Tahirovic posted:

Thanks, I kinda got bored of CVs and was wondering how the high tier ones handle themselves. The ranger is really meh becuase by that tier cruisers have their "insta pop a TB squadron" button. Wonder if that's any better with tier10 TB.

It's a bit better. But you still should never loiter around enemy packs and if possible always attack in groups to disperse AA a bit. The important thing at the high levels is to plan your attack vector from outside their AA range and ideally outside their spotting range so that you do your run in one go instead of turning at the last moment.

If cruisers are around try to get them to pop their barrage ability and attack one it has worn off, or just find stragglers and pick them off.

Yamato AA is pretty good, I wonder what the US BB AA will be like...which historically was superior in every way.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 26, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

Dive bombers are pretty 'meh' in general, but boy do you ever appreciate them when you're being chased down by a 500-HP destroyer.

:flashfact: Dive bombers reliably cause fires and get pubbies to use their repair ability. If you time your strikes right then you can get a BB on fire and flooded which can count for ~10k damage. This is really nice to burn down already damaged ships so that you don't have to invest another strike just to put an already doomed ship down.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

With 2 TB and 1 DB the correct order should be: attack with 1 TB, watch if he fixes the flood damage (recognizable by speed) and then burn and flood some more with the other 2 squadrons.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Asehujiko posted:

Aside from the Cleveland, what is the goon consensus for good ships? I have the japanese tier 4 battleship now and am slightly disappointed with it's ability to dump shells in a perfect hexagon around the enemy ship without hitting it.

St. Louis for silly low-tier gun fun.
T4+5 Japanese DDs, also US DDs to a lesser extent.
Saipan is a great mid-tier CV once you get the 1F2TB1DB setup.
Fuso for it's sheer broadside weight.
Mogami can really put the smack down, although vulnerable.
Des Moines is supposedly amazing.

Too bad we don't know a release date for US BBs yet, I want a New Mexico so bad, 12 guns in triple turrets would give you the same broadside as on the Fuso but with a significantly tighter spread.

All in all there are no real turds in the game, there are a few ships like the Pensacola or Phoenix which are rather bad in stock config but at least become decent once upgraded.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 26, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Is this gonna be like a typical Hollywood highschool flick where the nerdy kid suddenly gets popular for material reasons, but then learns an important lesson about life ? If so, can I play the role of either the highschool bully's wingman, or be the slightly eccentric professor who shares some fundamental wisdom about life ?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

James Garfield posted:

:frogsiren:
Next super test patch apparently adds the Warspite as a premium :britain: :10bux:
It also adds Sims and Gnevny-class destroyers and a Soviet Omaha, and makes torpedoes harder to spot and Japanese destroyer guns less worthless.

I want the Somers class DD, is that too much to ask ? In NF they were murder machines, right behind the Z99 and Sima.

Armament:

4 × twin 5-inch/38 caliber guns
2 × quad 1.1-inch/75 caliber guns (1938–1942)
4 × .50 cal machine guns (1938–1942)
1 × twin Bofors 40 mm gun (1942–)
6 × 20 mm Oerlikon cannons (1942–)
9 or 12 × 21-inch torpedo tubes (4x3 or 3x3)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

A rare 80k damage game in a Pensacola and then it's a draw....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-044.htm

The Working Environment for German Warship design in WWI and WWII

I think some other goon posted this in another topic a long time ago - anyway this is an article about the differences in design philosophy between the Reichsmarine and Kriegsmarine. Quite a good read imho.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

They recently mentioned that they are planning AP bombs for DBs and when that comes into play then DBs might become a whole new threat. Currently they are good for setting things on fire and laugh while ships burn down after having foolishly used their repair ability too soon. Unfortunately that's their only use in the game.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Vengarr posted:

It was nothing like that though?

Its Battlestar Galactica without Cylon babies, only the other way around because Battlestar Galactica was heavily inspired by SBY. The remake even added this Starbuck-like chick to make the circle complete.

I preferred 70ies Apollo/Starbuck bromance over all this and I will stand by my old fashioned opinion :colbert:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Zotix posted:

So I gave destroyers a chance last night. I figured I wouldn't like them. Ive been pretty successful in the jp tier 2 destroyer. But I've still got a lot to learn on tactics

You can't really judge DDs at tier 2. Tier 4-5 are the happy hunting grounds where you will have the most fun until you have to adapt tactics when you go to tier 6 and above.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

That Atlanta....it's a fun ship...

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

I would expect an other wipe when they go from Open Beta to release as well.

It's somewhere among the many threads that if they do another wipe after open beta then it will most likely be a soft wipe, giving you back free xp and credits.

Looks like I might become a Supertester soon :dance:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

So whats the secret to using carriers? My fighters just seem to die, and I am horrendously bad at torpedoin, despite trying to do fancy stuff like staggered launches.

First question, are you using auto or manual ?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Ok, so that Yamato was already damaged. But letting me in a Kita creep up to it on the Ocean map.... ::effortless:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Hey look, you guys are famous. Thanks to the Mittani.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/12458-imperium-invasion-coming-soon/

quote:

Its not good for gaming to have these clowns around and they know it. They are parasites looking to ruin games for other people.

quote:

They can try in Africa but who cares what is going on there, probably some small meaningless African tribes fighting their bloody meaningless tribal wars over 20 gold.

quote:

Disruptive behavior. In other words, their idea of fun is to ruin yours, whether you're a 'tryhard' (hardcore gamer) or a 'pubbie' (casual gamer) - and if you're not a goon, in their eyes you fall into either of these two categories.

quote:

These numpties have way too much time on their hands. Bring 'em on, it'll be hilarious when they realise that all their usual childish methods won't work in this game. They'll probably resort to chat trolling and team-killing, being banned shortly thereafter. At the very least, WG will probably make a bit of money off them first, so it's a win win for us.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

As it currently stands, premium ships are effectively agnostic. A US dd captain can sit in a cruiser premium with no penalty.

Yes, but you might want a different skill set for a CA captain than a DD or BB captain.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

That Minekaze....it's a good ship....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Michaellaneous posted:

I enjoy playing skycancer. I'm awful with torpedos so I just get as many fighters up as possible.

Real sad I can't rename my ships.

You better get good with torpedoes, otherwise it's no pubbie tears for you:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

demonR6 posted:

This is not a complaint but what the hell is it with people in these higher tier BB's just loving sitting there idle in open water at long range firing their guns? Over the last week almost every other match I can almost be guaranteed to find one or two doing this. Even after they are spotted and getting unloaded on they won't move.

For obvious reasons I love these guys when I play as CV.

Unfortunately this works both ways and yesterday I lost a 19 torp/5 bomb hits game thanks to the 2 BB (one of them a Yamato)on my team being scared of 3 lower tier cruisers and refusing to advance.

203 in a Yamato, and no CV on the other side, how is this possible :confused:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 5, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

A draw ? What is this ? I don't even....

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Super secret pro strat:

I just tested dive bombing from the plane camera and once you get adjusted to it, you start scoring good hits. Unlike the normal CV overhead cam the plane cam gives you a closer view and it's easier to judge course and speed of your target, you also see the keel water far more clearly which is another aid when plotting your release point.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 7, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I'm not going to lie, the German line is probably going to be fun to play. Their ships are fast and mostly have oversized guns. Bismarck has an armor scheme designed to frustrate cruisers. It's like a line full of brawlers.

Oversized guns ? How so ?

The German BC sport 11" guns, compared to the 15" of the British BC like the Renown and Repulse and the 12" of the US Alaska class. Ok there were plans to refit the Gneisenau with 6 15" guns, but that would still only bring her up to British standards.

The Bismarck will most likely be a tier 8 ship and only has 8 15" guns, compared to the heavier 16" of all other nations at that tier. North Carolina and Amagi both have bigger and more guns. The interesting thing about the Bismarck will probably be the very heavy secondary battery of 5.9" and 4.1" guns, but only if the 4.1" can fire at ships and are not exclusively AA guns.

This leaves us most likely with the H39 at tier 9 and another H class ship as tier 10, I don't expect anything above 16" for these.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

two_step posted:

So for some reason they are letting Russian players test the 3.1 patch, and some of them are streaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNav86pwn6M is one stream

LoL at bombing with all 3 squadrons at the same time instead of setting a ship on fire, waiting for it to use the repair and then bombing more.

Being on ST myself all I want to say here is that you should keep a close eye on the new Japanese CVs (they are murder machines) :ssh:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 8, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Rakthar posted:

Non optimal play on a test server for an alpha game?? What a loving n00b

Works in a supertester brag too, a+

What's your problem ?

Also welcome to the thread, great first post. In case you hadn't noticed the game is currently chugging nicely through closed beta and not alpha. Pointing out bad game play is meant to be a help to our own newbies on how not to do it. And my remark about CVs is not a ST brag but a little hint at the things to come. So please stop being an insufferable idiot :frogout:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 8, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

I really hope they fully animate the AA effect of DP guns some day, with them turning and spitting shells at planes. Battlestations Midway had that and it looked amazing.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Should I get a kitakami?

I loved the Kita in Navy Field, but here it's a different story. Your surface detectability is roughly the same as your torpedo range and by now most publords know that as soon as you are spotted you are just a juicy Kuma snack in tier 8 games and that they only need to stay at 10km to be safe. Smoke for the Kita in 3.1 will help, but not enough to make the ship any good. Wargaming, in their infinite wisdom, also thought it wise to pull the teeth of the Kita by giving it some weird experimental torpedo which was never actually used, instead of the fantastic Type 93.

There's potential for a glorious round once in a while, but be prepared to wade through a long valley of tears between those moments.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

My best CV game so far and despite sinking 4 BB with 35 torps and 7 bombs we almost lost.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

The Locator posted:

Atlanta.gif

:dance:

Nein ! You are doing it wrong.

If anyone does 420 I will buy him a forum avatar.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and make themselves a prime target for a double strike:

Anyway, 3.1. is tomorrow and will change the playing field somewhat. Be prepared to bow before mighty Nippon and their torp squadrons.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 13, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's getting harder and harder to find pubbies with that level of tunnel vision these days. I'm having to close to 3ish KM broadside with most BB and CA in order to torpedo them to death in my Benson, otherwise they just right full rudder and scoot out of the way. The plus side is they get one, maybe two chances to actually hit my smoke belching rapidly swerving rear end before I'm in range and making GBS threads torps at them. The downside is those two chances only need to hit with 2-3 shells to completely wreck my poo poo.

When I play the Fubuki it's harder, but so far I haven't noticed any skill growth which would ruin my seal clubbing days when playing a CV.

Keep in mind that the survivability of planes has also been readjusted and in 3.1. they no longer die like flies as they do now. Low tier torp planes like from a Ryujo can get through an Iowa's AA screen (vanilla Iowa without AA upgrades though).

For tomorrow I expect a huge outcry about the sky cancer, but we will see.

Insert name here posted:

I'm really hoping US CVs aren't completely obsoleted by JP CVs :ohdear:

They should still be good, especially due to the DB changes. But they don't have the strike capability of glorious Nippon.

The problem is that dive bombers still get thrown off easier than torp bombers. If a ship moves by a few degrees then you will still hit with torps, while the bombing reticle would be thrown off a lot more. Also DBs have to spend a lot more time in the range of a ship's secondary AA guns, leading to higher losses.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 13, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Their secondaries are still a good deal better than what the US gets. Those 5" are nice as AA, but the turrets get destroyed easily and you have way less barrels than the Japanese. US BBs are mid to long range ships.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

orange juche posted:

Unless there are actual buffs to divebombers then they're still going to be utterly worthless. You can penetrate with HE now, why can't you land a bomb on a BB's deck and pen its citadel for 35k damage? Divebomber bombs were designed to not explode on the surface of a ship, but to punch through several decks and explode, breaking the ship's keel.

E: Yeah they really need to revise the strength of dive bombers, the 1600lb armor piercing AN-Mk1 bomb that the US used for its TBF Avengers could easily penetrate 5 inches of steel deck and carried 240lb of high explosives inside it. One of those bombs could cripple or sink a battleship, and even the revised 1000lb AN-Mk33 had a 79% kill rate on successful bombing runs. The Japanese armor piercing bombs were pretty poo poo by comparison, with only a 40% kill rate, due to their bombs having a high dud rate.

The best part is that a perfect torp run will hit with all torps and cause massive damage. A perfect DB run still has enough leeway to only hit with 1-2 bombs.

See below, 18 bombers dive on a Mogami, ok the reticle sways a little to the right, but I dare the god of DBs to do better. This strike from 18 DBs caused 8 hits and barely took half the Mogami's health.

:suicide:

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 13, 2015

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

KcDohl posted:

I haven't played in a few weeks but that looks like an auto run to me...

Trust me, it was manual.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

orange juche posted:

I've just switched to using HE. Setting triple fires and watching someone burn to death is nice. The dog comic was in reference to what BBs can do with Pyromania and HE loaded. You have a 20%+ chance of setting someone on fire with pyromania, per shell (without pyromania it is still 15%). if you get a good solid broadside that can be 3 or more fires, which will cripple an enemy ship, especially if the opponent ignores the fires. If he burns his repair to put out the fires, you do it again 30s later and watch him panic as he cant do anything to save his ship.

AP is good for the 10k damage money shot, but if you only get 1 money shot in a volley of 12 shells and the other 11 bounce, HE would have been better.

TL;DR fire is loving OP now.

In a pre release version the chance was even higher than it is now. Even in the current state it's kinda hard to make a point for AP anymore.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Hey goons, I did a thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

There are several versions of this in the mod package. Which one is the best of the bunch ?