Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

My efforts are entirely invested in the US tree but for the life of me i can't play destroyers worh poo poo, any advice on good videos or generic tips on how to play destroyers? when do i deploy smoke, and when do i use my guns or torps? it seems like bar is predictable to alot of players, it would greatly help to know how to shoot them without relying on it.

Also i sucked my way to the Clemson, its actually pretty good with the gun upgrade as a destroyer hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I got the langley to gently caress around with carriers a little, but i'm not sure how it works, i upgraded the aircraft and the hull, but i can only launch one wing of fighters and bombers? i have like 9 of each type stored, are they only for repairs?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Why does the flight control modules for the bogue suck :gonk: i haven't tried bombers yet, any advice on them?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I tried the Albany, only to get trolled by another Albany with better range :v: it seems to alleviate the range problem you need a 10 skill point captain on it :V at least you don't have to retrain that captain.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Wow, the Bogue is pretty rear end. Either you take the 2 squads to have a fighter and a TB, or you go full "I don't like EXP" and do double fighter or "I don't like having planes" and 2 DB 1 TB.
I'm still winning most of my games, though. Getting unopposed in the strike loadout typically ends in carnage. Sky cancer...

I seem to win most of mine when i use the bomber module, and its fun focusing one ship down with the groups you have, plus goading the other player's fighter aircraft into a group of cruisers is fun.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Just lost a battle because some utter shitstain driving a Minekaze missed an entire salvo of torpedoes at a stationary Langley, then drove in to 4km range and tried to sink it with guns, and instead he was sunk by the secondaries. From a loving Langley.

My Kuma is an idiot magnet, I haven't won a battle in it for two days, some Dunning-Kruger example in a Murmansk who can't put down a HE firing Kongo gets torped to death by a Minekaze from point blank, after the Minekaze sinks another destroyer right next to him first. "I didn't have a rudder" the fuckwit screamed, as though that excused him totally ignoring a half health destroyer in the middle of his loving broadside arc until it killed him, helping to feed it a high calibre. Nevermind that I killed a Tenryu, Kuma and South Carolina before running out of hp, I should shut up because I'm the rookie who dies before he did.

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I'd rather the pubbies on the other team keep their battleships nice and isolated. My little carrier needs a steady diet of isolated battleships and tunnel visioned carriers to grow big and strong.

Thats what a bomber mod bogue teaches you, stay on your toes and you'll be able to carry matches versus two other carriers easily. Torpedo bombers are really loving dangerous once you get the manual aim thing down, i won't be surprised if those get nerfed.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Whats that thing on the South Carolina uh tower thingy, looks like a clock :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Whats the range on the hydrocaustic sonar, and how do i direct a fighter pilot from my catapult to attack aircraft? they don't seem to do anything even when i'm shooting them off the sky with my own AA. Also apparently cruisers have a hidden ability called defensive fire? how do i activate it?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

Why is the St Louis so venerated in this game? I've had one for two weeks and while I think its a decent ship, I found both the Phoenix and especially the Omaha much superior. I've nearly reached the Cleveland and I'm thinking of selling my St Louis and using the Commander in my Cleveland but I just feel like I'm missing something with the St Louis. I typically get 100 hits or more in a match with it but I don't feel like the damage is great. I mostly use HE vs everything.

You need to face charge more, it is glorious :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

What should i prioritize when upgrading a battleship? I just got the New Mexico and i know stock ships are poo poo, but i can't decide :ohdear: engine and fire control before the hulls i suppose?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Have they announced anything for US premium BB or DD trainers yet? I'd really like those since i'm going down all the US tree at once :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

What would be average stats for a player in this game? I want to set some sort of metric to improve my play style at least and see where i'm under performing.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

I'll admit being guilty of doing that myself. Hiding behind an island that is. I tend to find an island that is relatively close to the front line in order to have a faster plane turn out. It also helps insuring that one of your side is safe(r). However, I keep a really close watch to the minimap so that I can get the gently caress out of there if a DD comes my way and no one stops it despite my desperate pleas. Same for enemy carrier's plane that skirts the edges of the map and takes most of the match to reach me.

All in all, I can't say if its a sound strategy or not. I'll survive plenty of matches and sometimes get caught unaware. I'd rather sit behind an island and sometimes get sunk, than hide in the corner of the maps like plenty of other carrier players.

You're not wrong if you go closer, just don't stop, keep moving and hope the glob of ships your close to doesn't fold too quick. Most people don't realize closer to the front a carrier gets the faster they service aircraft, and the more damage they do, edge of map carrier players are scum and deserve everything they get :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I just got the pensacola, jesus loving christ, that turret turn rate is horrible.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Hoboskins posted:

Just had a great game which I lost, somehow?! I was in my Kawachi and RNG must have been in my favour because before I died I got 7 citadel hits and destroyed 4 Boats pretty much on my own. In the end I did 81k damage the most I have ever gotten. We were up significantly so I left figuring it was a sure win, I was wrong. It was still pretty great because the two St Louis drivers were in a platoon and accused me of hacks when I got massive crits on both of them.

Your team is very capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, check the post battle stats see if it was only you doing damage, i got several games where i'm making more than 1k base experience but the entire team struggles to break 200 :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Lady Morgaga posted:

Thread I got a question.

So Murmansk. Omaha C hull with better torpedoes, better AA, and amazing rudder shift time. Even better version of already strong ship. Why its artillery rated 50 while it rated 40 on Omaha? They seem to have identical guns.

It gets a spotter plane that increases its range, this will increase its artillery rating in the stats. Any upgrades that increase range or accuracy will do that, i think.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 28, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Carrier torpedo bomber hits don't seem to count towards torpedo missions ugh.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So did I miss out on buying the Imperator Nikolai on the US server at the beginning of this month, or have they not offered it on NA yet?

I'm kind of at the point where I really just enjoy playing premiums.

It seems it was out early on the 2nd of november :ohdear: and i was really looking forward to it too. how long are these windows? it seems they put them up for a day or something.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I bought the imperator nikolai, because god knows i cant get enough russian trainers for my destroyer captain, i'm curious though if the daily 1.5x applies to the ships captain too? or do captains have their own daily bonus or none at all?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I bought the blyskawica, when are they releasing a polish tree again? :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

LOL. Right now my main problem with that ship is that as a tier 7 premium I can't put an existing commander in, I'm forced to go into tier 7 battles with no Last Stand until I can get it.

This means that I have either really terrible games or really awesome ones, depending on how much I use I would have gotten out of Last Stand.

Replay Link

I couldn't find it anywhere, but can you train your captain to get 3 points or am i stuck with what i get?

Also sorry for not warning you folks, by yeah its available on the EU server right now. I really hate these limited ship releases, why can't they just put them in the ship store like the rest of the premiums? or even make them available in-game for a gold purchase like WOT?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I just noticed the emden mission, this really begs the question, why did naval ships have that brass/white arrangement on their military ships? (i thought its a US thing, but this is a german ship)

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There is a coop mission after you unlock the Emden that gives 3x captain experience, since its a premium boat stick your cruiser captain for some of that sweet experience before selling the boat :v:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

If you're a destroyer and the map is fault line, capture point B for some reason or another you'll be in a prime location to strike from anywhere, and thats what happened. lovely gun damage admittedly and most of these kills were actually low health snipes, but it feels good to shine once in a blue moon :v:

Edit: this is with the christmas skin, and the 50% xp flag

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Holy loving poo poo, why does Hull C cost 4 million credits for the Colorado? :aaaaa:

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I just got my first tier 8 cruiser, the New Orleans! Please help me set it up, what modules do i want on it for the grind to the baltimore? and any recommended captain skills? (i'm currently running AFT but i haven't found much use for it, i mean technically its there for AA mostly).

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

How long is project R going on for? if i finish the tier 4 and 5 kills plus the wins for cruiser, carrier and battleships i'll have a total of 236 pearls, should i give up or will there be another weekly reset next week?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Project 66 sounds like a battlecruiser. Which beggars the question, when will they add these ship classes? I know Kongo is technically one, but any others?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Im curious about destroyer AP shells, when do you use them in general? All i know so far is in Russian DDs i use AP on Omahas, but what about the furutaka, aoba, and the konigsberg/nurnberg ships?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

I finally got the Tashkent, while the stats don't look too great on paper, it is deceptively powerful. Range caps off at 13.9KM with AFT, and it has a base concealment of 75 which is one of the lowest for any destroyer (gets detected at 9.4 KM) but if you put the stealth mod (2 million credits) and camouflage you can bring that up to a tolerable 8.2 km. Its unfortunate the Kiev doesn't have that upgrade slot, but i assume thats what i'll be doing with the Udaloi and Khabarovsk which has 71 concealment (10 KM) :gonk:

Also i'm 2 skill points away from the 5th skill, whats a good skill setup for russian DDs? should i take concealment expert for the last skill?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Is there anyway to get a Diana code? I'll pay handsomely. (must be an EU code)

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

How do i torpedo in russian destroyers? it always seems to me i have to suicidally rush a distracted ship but its getting increasingly harder lately, im in the tashkent currently and having a very difficult time even with the 8km torpedoes. Currently with my camo rating at 81 i can stay hidden for up till 8.2 km and i usually try and guess a ships movement trajectory so it would sail into my torps at 9km but its very hit and miss.

Is there any reason to stick with the russian 4km torpedoes at tier 8 or is that not a good idea after i unlock the 8km torps?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

You don't. Russian destroyers are not destroyers, they are in fact brittle light cruisers with better camo, that are grossly incapable of doing the destroyer things that US and IJN destroyers do as a matter of course.

If anything ever gets into torpedo range of my Gnevny it means I'm being properly hosed by a USN/IJN DD, it's near the end of a battle and there's no choice, or I've somehow landed in one of those magic games where I must be invisible, because even with the glitter shells and party music blasting nobody ever shoots at me and I get to do whatever the hell I want. Those are great games.

Oh, i guess try and play like a speedy light cruiser and bullying DD's without rushing caps.

Should i get the camo skill, or just focus on survivability?

edit: And does preventative maintenance make the turrets sturdier?

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Apparently the CA/CL split with the Cleveland bumped to it's natural 8 is nearly ready to go, but they can't find a tier 6 CL that is acceptable to them, so the delay goes on.

Werent they considering having a tier 6 atlanta with two less turrets? what happened to that.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

The New Orleans is giving me an aneurysm, i'm contemplating getting the 3000 doubloon camo just to get out of it, on the other hand i dunno what line to pursue, i guess the US DD line is decent? It sounds like the end tier stuff for the US navy is mediocre.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

You should observe the match after you die. Just today i caught two players not correcting their aim, but they kept firing anyway in the hopes the guy showing his broadside to them would automagically be faster and grab all their shots. One of these players was in a tier 8 match :v:

edit: i am dumb.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 21, 2016

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Fifty loving bucks for the Lo Yang. Sure, it might be a premium Benson, but I just bought a goddamned car. -_-

Shouldn't there be a benson without all the extra stuff they include in the $50 deal?

I bought the anshan for another gnevny, i just feel horrible that i missed out on the gremyashchy but oh well.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

Katsukai posted:

Bogue's whole existance is to remove fun

I have a pretty good win rate and performance on the bogue more so than other carriers, i ran the bomber set up though and always struck on same tier or lower warships as they all have universally crap AAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

I haven't played since mid-Dec. what things should i do/not do?

Your captains should have had all their skillpoints refunded, refer to Hazdocs updated skill list here. And adjust your gameplay accordingly.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 4, 2016