Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Kinda disappointed that they aren't offering a pre-order package with a Battleship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

I also had a guy get mad after I killed his st louis with just the forward guns by calling me a no skill zigzagging something or other. I'm not sure how someone that knows to zigzag to stay safe is no skill, but ok.

"No-skill loving zigger. gently caress you, zigger."

Fart Car '97 posted:

I get watching streams, but this particular game with all its downtime is really awful streaming material.

I always thought the same thing about 'competitive' WoT. It's like watching blind amputees try to play chess with hooks for hands.

"They're gonna have to get something going in the next two minutes or it'll be a draw." *two minutes pass in near-silence* "Yeah, it's a draw." :toot:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was playing last night and watched as a low-tier BB (I can't remember the class) let three destroyers pepper and torpedo him from ranges of 3-5km while he was focusing all his attention on a cruiser 8km away to his flank.

When I asked him why the gently caress he wasn't alpha'ing - or even *shooting* at the destroyers at point blank range, he answers:

"I can't hit destroyers in a battleship."

So yeah, don't even try. Sure. gently caress.

Also, I've started playing this again ever since fishing for the three-ship package and buying a Murmansk with the gold. I'm grinding my way up personal ranks before I start grinding the ships I already played in the closed alpha so I'm able to start with captains and upgrades. Good idea or bad idea? I'm making good credits and I know enough about the game and how to play it that I'm not a liability.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Playing enough for it the lead time to be second nature is an acquired skill. Modifying the game to tell you where to point is not. If they included it by default (like the torpedo lead indicator) I doubt people would be bothered, because then at least everybody is playing under the same rules.

It *should* be included up to ~T5/6 as a training feature that can be toggled. It'd serve two purposes - it'd keep pubbies playing in T5/T6, and as a teaching tool. If you're in a T7 ship (including premiums), you should have that 'second nature' thing down by that point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So is the Atlanta worth the Lowe-like price in gold?

I've currently got the Iwaki Alpha, the three pre-order ships, and the Murmansk. I've been leisurely grinding them alone so I can actually start grinding the *actual* line of ships at Service Level 6. I've also heard conflicting reports on what is and isn't getting wiped when the game goes OBT.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 17, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaodai posted:

They've straight up said when the game goes into open beta, everything is getting wiped and you get all your gold and premium back. It's why you don't actually have "gold" in your account right now, you've got the cardboard equivalent.

Got it - so there's not even any reason to get to Service Level 6 in a hurry.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vengarr posted:

You get a beta code with a preorder now. Either of the destroyers are good deals, good ship + some gold and 30 days premium.

If you don't fish for the three-boat package (and it's not as good of a deal now so I don't know why you would), I really enjoy playing the Gremyashchiy. I *don't* like the Sims as much because a T7 destroyer, no matter how maneuverable, generally gets loving wrecked in upper-tier matches. They honestly need to offer more xp for being a spotter in this game...like an *actual* eyes-on spot from a ship makes everyone's fire more accurate than a scout plane's spot, or *something*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 20, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Admittedly, I'm by no means 'good' at this game yet. I'm better in the Grem than the Sims. vOv

I haven't even bothered trying the Yubari yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Willeh posted:

As I'm just starting out, what should I focus on, getting higher tier ships or upgrading my lowbie ships? Also what are sone of the better ships to aim for?

I haven't played tanks much and all the options confuse me :negative:

I'm intentionally being a dick and just firing HE all the time because 1) it's fun setting people on fire and making them burn (no pun intended) their repair kits, and 2) gently caress it, who cares it's all meaningless and will be reset.

Aim for the Cleveland and the Kongo as good mid-tier targets.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 25, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Get the St. Louis, fully upgrade it.. pimp out to the max. Never ever sell it.

Yeah, the St. Louis is sort of the Churchill III of WoWS. A giant brick of a ship that makes you feel giddy firing off an all-gun broadside, even if you're barely scraping past 10km effective range.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Atlanta still looks like the better high-tier premium just off of weight-of-fire alone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So pubbies who Wiki'ed the Warspite are already starting to bleat about how 'non-historical' the range is on the 15" guns.

"SEE HERE, I AM A SCHOLAR IN NAVAL WARFARE AS OF TEN MINUTES AGO AND I HAPPEN TO KNOW FOR A *FACT* THAT THE WARSPITE CAN HIT TO 24KM!"

That being said, Gunlion just ~hinted~ that the Warspite ~might~ be a CBT-only available ship (meaning you'll only be able to buy it now and keep it when the game launches): http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/26262-hms-warspite-comes-to-world-of-warships/page__st__20__pid__721497#entry721497

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 29, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MadWOPR posted:

If you bought the warspite with tokens, it would carry over to regular play, then you'd get your tokens back?

According to the forums, Gunlion says he isn't sure if Warspite will be a 'CBT-only' ship, meaning you'd have to buy it before OBT goes live to keep it (implying it'll only be available to CBT players...at least for a while). They did the same thing with a plane in WoWP that no one ended up using.

The definitive answer is that whatever tokens and allocated premium time you use now will be reapplied when the game goes OBT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So - question - what first three skills should be picked up with a three-skill captain?

I should note that the only ships I currently have a +3 on are the Iwaki Alpha and the St. Louis.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 29, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The low tiers are going to have good armour the whole way through and get a lot of guns (10-12) with better firing arcs.

The Iowa and North Carolina are going to really fast, and much better armored than the comparably speedy Amagi.

They can also basically make up whatever soft stats they want, which will go a long way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16%22/50_caliber_Mark_7_gun#Mark_8_.22Super-heavy.22_shell

16" guns with the same penetration capability of the Yamato's 18.1". Sounds like a good 'soft stat' advantage to me.

Can't wait for the pubbies to find out about the nuclear shell, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaodai posted:

It tends to have an issue with catching fire. (:v:)

Only when you sail it roughly.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 30, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

How are the store-only preorder boats? I'm pretty impressed with the feel of the game and am ready to :retrogames:

The Sims and Grem are worth it - the Japanese ship is not. However, the Sims being decent is offset a decent amount by it being T7, while the Grem plays like a light cruiser and has more relaxed MM at T5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do sort of wish that instead of a health bar and repair button, your ship had a 'crew health' meter and a structural integrity bar. If either hits zero, the ship's 'dead,' just like WoT with hull death and crew death.

The higher the crew meter, the faster things are repaired, fires are put out, shells are reloaded, shots are fired, etc. Conversely, the lower it is, the less effective the ship is at pumping out DPS. It'd certainly make flooding and fires more harrowing.

Tie the crews in with the captain, and add a 'veterancy' rating to them that'll make them stack with the captain's skills and be more resilient.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Krogort posted:

What is the deal with the St Louis armor ? this thing can soak up damage better than a Cleveland or Pensacola.

Twice now I have been brawling one in my Kongo, the later at point blank range and it just didn't want to die, I had to shell it with like 8 full volley before sinking it.

"St. Louis' and 'armor' don't go together. It sounds to me like you were grossly overpenning it. Use HE on a St. Louis.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Most goons are using the aimbots. They're unlikely to be removed any time soon, so you may as well join the club.

In all seriousness, people are saying the aimbots are actually making the game more fun. If you're struggling, give them a shot.

They honestly should be an optional built-in game feature up to Tier 5. After that if you don't have a natural grasp of aiming and leading you should just stick to Tier 5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Nah, those are the super structures from the su-100y I'm pretty sure.

The Grem uses the same 130mm naval guns as the SU-100Y, so yes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

This would be a pretty decent T5 premium: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Wicher_%281958%29

2x 130mm (the same type as the Grem) in a single turret mount, 8x AA guns (including a twin 85mm), and two quintuple torp launchers.

As for what to look forward to in regards to Russian destroyers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashkent-class_destroyer

6x 130mm, 43.5 knots, nine torps.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 16, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay, so I only recently unlocked upgrades for ships (I haven't been playing much) and I'm solo-pubbing my way up the US BB line, because, believe it or not, during Closed Alpha I never touched Battleships, and I figure I should 'get good' with them.

But the main question is whether or not I did the right thing in upgrading my Grem. I went with Torp Upgrades I and II for the first two slots, and Steering Gears for the engine upgrade, since a rudder/steering hit on a DD is pretty grim. For Captain perks, I've currently got Secondary Armament I and II (just to get the torp reload skill), and just picked up Situational Awareness. Next I know should be the Additional Smoke skill, but what should I aim for after that? Pyromania?

Same goes for the New York I just picked up - went with Main Battery Mod I, AA Guns Mod II, and Propulsion Mod I, with Secondary Armament I, Ship Survivability I, and Aiming Expertise for the Captain. I'm about to have three SP available, and I'm wondering if I should pick up Sit. Awareness, Defensive Fire (noticed this was Cruiser-only), or Repair Work (unless that needs High Alert trained first). Situational Awareness on BBs seems a bit redundant, but I'll take any advice.

Also - they sure know a good racket - 500g to train a captain to be able to use his skills immediately on a new hull. And this is going to be a dumb question, but what's the gold cost of the Murmansk again - I bought it with my preorder package gold, but can't remember how much I had left over. I want to know how much extra I'd have to buy to nab an Atlanta along with the Murmansk when the OBT goes live (but I'd almost guarantee they'll do an initial premium ship discount about a month after launch, too).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 21, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

grrarg posted:

I think I'm done until they add more ships or go into Open Beta. I'm not interested in battleships or carriers, and it is not worth burning out to research tier IX or X cruisers or destroyers that will be wiped. I like a lot of the ideas in the 3.1 patch, but the AP/HE change and usefulness of signal flags need tweaking.

I think I'm taking a break as well. I'm getting more upset with this game than I ever did with WoT, and that bothers me because everything's getting wiped, so losing at the moment doesn't *matter*. But I think what's most maddening about this game is that unlike WoT, it takes far longer to hit that point where you realize, despite your best efforts, the match is 100% unwinnable, and you feel like you've wasted more time than you would have in WoT on a lovely/badly-stacked match and all you are is an xp/credit/medal pinata for the other team. In WoWp, the matches ended too soon because some rear end in a top hat rammed into you because ~YOUUUU~ didn't break first and give him a shot at getting on your tail, or he'd maneuver into you as you tried to dodge him with a knife-edge pass.

I've wished *so* much malignant cancer on people and their loved ones in the past few days, because it's the worst thing I can think of that doesn't trip the profanity sensor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only thing holding me back from getting a ~Founder's Package~ for Armored Warfare is the fact that I've heard that the company behind AW makes Wargaming and Gaijin look practically monastic in regards to microtransactions. I might just spring for the 29.99 package so I can get the tin-foil tank and the ~speshul commander~.

I'm also really leery about a company that gave *Silentstalker* authority.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To be fair, 'authority' in this case is 'forum moderator.'

Sorry. "Content Manager."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Actually, WG could have told everyone on the US server to piss up a string. The only reason the refund was given in the first place is that there's an EU law that applies to bait-and-switch, and Wargaming has more customers in EU/RU than they do here.

I think they've found a loophole in 'upgrading to HD models,' though for the most part, they're keeping that reserved for normal tech tree tanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Including premium time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Burt posted:

I just had a 385 exp win in my Sims, where I managed to land about 4 shots in total. Pretty crap you will agree. However I managed to tie up six enemy ships, 3 Battleships and 3 cruisers as they desperately tried to kill me as I ran around just firing shots wildly in their direction and spamming torps that were not going to hit in a million years. At least 2 ships managed to ground themselves whilst I just bombed about like a lunatic taking zero hits and dodging BB shots as soon as they were launched. It was probably one of the funnest but most retarded games I have ever played.

If I got exp for screams of frustration, I'd have got 20000.

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with the Sims. The Grem might be two tiers lower, but it certainly gives you that "practically a light cruiser" feeling, and the 8km range on the torps means you can launch a spread without getting loving cut to ribbons by a BB's secondaries.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Then you missed out. There was a chance for that as an april 1st event.

The ideal "April Fools" event for WoWS would be to have both teams fight a Kiev-class 'carrier' - have the Yak-38s either kick rear end or just fall out of the sky on their own accord (some of the conventional planes in WoWS could carry more useful payloads than Yak-38s ever could), and make the ship just randomly skull-gently caress eight random ships with its SS-N-19s.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 29, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Am I just imagining or is New Mexico a really good ship?

No, it's a good ship - you just lose .7km range off the New York in exchange for leaving behind awkward mid-gun mounts and gaining 16 more AA guns. And honestly, good riddance to the mid-gun mounts.

Also, I think they've purposefully made it so those who bought the three-ship preorder package at a discount would be forced to buy the 12.5k gold package to be able to get the Atlanta at launch if they want a Murmansk as well. As I recall, the Murmansk is either 3000 or 3500g, which leaves you too short for both if you buy the 6250g package, meaning you have to buy an additional 1250g to have enough.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 29, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Michaellaneous posted:

As a tip for everyone: Don't use free XP to skip a boat. Use it to get all the best upgrades for it.

Except the Phoenix. Fuuuuuuck the Phoenix.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Thanks for the suggestion that card may work, ive had a problem matching cards tat may possibly be able to game with my low power supply and since mt pc is a dell upgrading thr psu isnt a simple thing

Actually, Dell stopped using proprietary PSUs about a decade ago. Unless something's changed, or if they're using proprietary mounting holes for the screws, you're okay. But the 750Ti pulls all its power from the PCIe bus, so it's a non-issue.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Ahh I have looked at theb stopped looking at a psu update because I had read that their mobos use a proprietary connector. Maybe ill grab a Better psu (stock is 300w) and card then.

Its a full tower when I got it I made sure I wasnt going to have to deal with slim form factor crap that need slim cards and has no room for drives.

Yeah, years ago Dell used to use an alternate pin-out for their PSUs - I found it out the hard way when I plugged in a 400W into my old 1998-era tower and only smelled burning plastic in addition to the system not powering on - thankfully it didn't damage anything. Had to buy a specially-wired Silencer unit from PC Power & Cooling at a premium. But now they're just using standard ATX.

Since I can't PM you, you're in luck - the 750Ti is on sale at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 5, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I've played neither but I'm not sure why you'd buy the Murmansk. Omaha isn't amazing in the first place, and if you enjoy it you can just keep the Omaha. Crew training isn't all that important in general.
Warspite is hard to citadel hit I guess? There's almost guaranteed to be an identical ship in the British tree when it's released though.

Well, at the moment, you can move same-nation captains freely between ship types without penalty, meaning you only need one premium ship per class to train all same-nation captains. But who knows if they'll eventually make it so carrier captains can only drive/operate ships of like class, and if they ever make it so there are sub-officers/department heads to round out crew dynamics, whether *they'll* be tied to ship class. It's a hedge bet against the future - because the Sverdlov might be a monster (and very likely the T10 Russian cruiser, since its successor had ASMs).

Also, the Murmansk does get 8km torps to the Omaha's 5km, plus the Murmansk turns better.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 7, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah - and provided it *stays* like that, the best Russian ship at the moment is the Grem, but some people don't want to pay the price for it, so the only game in town after that is the Murmansk (at present), because the Aurora is dogshit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, this was fun:

Sometimes it's nice when your shots go where they're needed, especially when loving over fellow destroyers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TehKeen posted:

For the Bogue and later CVs, is it a bad idea focusing on using the fighter loadout to keep your team safe from TBs/DBs or should I be greedy and go for all out damage?

Having never played carriers, I still think it's correct in saying that your teammates will figure out how to die fast and horribly despite your best efforts to save them from doing so. Better to dole out as much damage as humanly possible in the hopes that you can win the attrition battle. Now, if you're in a platoon/division with one carrier covering the other...vOv

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For people taking advantage of the free beta keys: no matter how painful it might be, play 49 games before OBT. You might as well get the free T4 BB too.

...also remember to switch to random battles, at least after you learn basic gunnery and leading in your T1s in Co-Op mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Does anyone know if you can 'stack' Warships bonus codes for more gold/slots?

Also: F93KK-75NK7-36BHM-GNGEB USED for CBT entry.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 16, 2015