Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*Skshhhhh* Houston, we have irreversibly filled the only fertile lake on Mars with turds. Over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wormskull posted:

It's hard to exactly tell whether water flow is going to work sometimes and often by the time you've waited for the water to back up against the drat and see if it actually starts electricity output the refund for bulldozing is at like 50% value.

It gives an estimate of the power output while you're placing the dam? Idk what you're on about.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

maniacdevnull posted:

It gives an estimate of the power output while you're placing the dam? Idk what you're on about.

In my experience it's not always telling the truth. I waited 2 minutes for a dam that had an estimate of 144 to change from 0 and it didn't happen and when I bulldozed it I lost all the money on it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Or another time when I dammed part of a river that said 64 estimate and ended up also having 0 and causing the river to back up and flood the flat parts of half the map. lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does it matter which way you draw the line of the dam, like with how one way roads are drawn? Did you just build the dam backwards?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

After messing with it with cheats on I think it auto-orients to the water current at the time of placing it.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Wormskull posted:

After messing with it with cheats on I think it auto-orients to the water current at the time of placing it.

If you're patient and willing to waste tons of money in the process via demolishing dams repeatedly, you can end up with two dams facing out from each other, then dump all your sewage into the middle and power your city with piss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

*Skshhhhh* Houston, we have irreversibly filled the only fertile lake on Mars with turds. Over

Lol. As cool as this game is, I think it would be better if it gave you more freedom to do stupid stuff. Like it would be cool if you could place the sewage outlet anywhere, but it says like "you should probably build this on water". But if you want you should be able to pour all your turds into a pit in the forest.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

[G.O.B. voice:] I've made a huge mistake.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Has anybody figured out how to make traffic not absolutely loving horrible yet? No matter what I do, I end up with a thousand trucks backed up onto the highway and across the horizon

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can you make artifical rivers. Because I want to pump my turds into a river, in the middle of town. Turd river.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Can you make artifical rivers. Because I want to pump my turds into a river, in the middle of town. Turd river.

You can't terraform directly in city management mode unfortunately. You can try to splash some diarrhea between some ridges on the map if your lucky I suppose, through clever use of pumps and dams.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wormskull posted:

You can't terraform directly in city management mode unfortunately. You can try to splash some diarrhea between some ridges on the map if your lucky I suppose, through clever use of pumps and dams.

There needs to be a mod that lets u dam up a ridge with nothing but poo poo water, and the shitflood wipes out your town.

I basically only played sim city to make a big city and then smash with with a natural disaster and see how well it worked after.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Frank Horrigan posted:

Has anybody figured out how to make traffic not absolutely loving horrible yet? No matter what I do, I end up with a thousand trucks backed up onto the highway and across the horizon

try not being bad. that's my strat

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zen death robot posted:

I haven't played this much yet but is there not a treatment plant or anything like that? Just pump the shitwater downstream from the clean intake?

As far as I can tell you just pump the city shitwater directly into the river/coast like it's no biggs.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

zen death robot posted:

I haven't played this much yet but is there not a treatment plant or anything like that? Just pump the shitwater downstream from the clean intake?

You unlock one later.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Wormskull posted:

Or another time when I dammed part of a river that said 64 estimate and ended up also having 0 and causing the river to back up and flood the flat parts of half the map. lol

That's a terrible dam. Pick a river with heavy flow, the big triangle thingies. The one I built was estimated around 550MW and gets a bit more in practice. Once l can buy another square there's a spot currently outside of town that gets like 1000 est.

Also make sure the road on the dam is connected to the other roads somehow, I think that's also part of it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was putting it in the heaviest flow place I could see and had access to, coming off a big waterfall no less. It was just wonky and maybe because of being a workshop map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Larry Parrish posted:

As far as I can tell you just pump the city shitwater directly into the river/coast like it's no biggs.

Where can humanity feel free to poop if not the ocean?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Frank Horrigan posted:

If you're patient and willing to waste tons of money in the process via demolishing dams repeatedly, you can end up with two dams facing out from each other, then dump all your sewage into the middle and power your city with piss.

Hahahaha, is there a screen shot or saved game of this?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I finalyl bothered to get a city to 20k pop without abandoning it. It's on some really hilly map with not much buildable land so my highway and offramps are insane monstrosities.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This forum is so drat slow, if a thread falls of the front page if the impzone I can never find it in my bookmarks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This forum is so drat slow, if a thread falls of the front page if the impzone I can never find it in my bookmarks.
We drove off all the good posters with our secret insular probation lists.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I built a dam and they're not broken, they just take a long time to establish a water level equilibrium and begin producing electricity, like it was probably 2 weeks or something before it started producing, but now my city is run exclusively off the dam.

I've run into a weird thing though, where one block of a residential plot is constantly losing electricity, even though my production rate is like 1500 MW higher than my consumption.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Wormskull posted:

You unlock one later.

It's not really a treatment plant, it's just a shitpump that pumps out slightly less poo poo. I'm not being pedantic or anything, it's literally a sewage pump that causes slightly less pollution.

sincx posted:

Hahahaha, is there a screen shot or saved game of this?

Not mine, but here you go.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm so godawful at this game. My second city was coming along icely with about 10k people when my power generation abilities shut down and people started abandoning their homes in droves, lost my whole residential area, pretty much.

How do you keep coal plants going? I guess I had them too far away from the highway (and made the mistake of my main thoroughfare being a two lane road) and so even at 150% budget coal just couldn't reach my three plants? Even with like eight wind turbines and three power plants I still couldnt' cut it, I must be missing something re:power generation

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Being a city planner IRL must be insanely hard. Especially the earlier guys who basically created the cities... how did they know where to put highways, and where to funnel piss and turds?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Being a city planner IRL must be insanely hard. Especially the earlier guys who basically created the cities... how did they know where to put highways, and where to funnel piss and turds?

http://imgur.com/a/WdJim

this guy claims to be a traffic engineer and he wrote a guide to laying out roads in CSKY

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm curious now if an city engineer ever tried sim city 2013

Ten Dollars Wasted
Mar 9, 2015

Frog Act posted:

http://imgur.com/a/WdJim

this guy claims to be a traffic engineer and he wrote a guide to laying out roads in CSKY

:jackbud:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ive been following his advice on my new city and laying out big heavy traffic arteries with medium traffic branches, with subsequent low traffic places seems to be working pretty well. gonna build a highway right through the middle of everything when poo poo gets bigger though i guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Traffic becomes super manageable once you just exclusively build 6 lane roads. There doesn't appear to be a downside since you have so much room to build anyway that the lost squares for zoning don't really matter

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah but I kinda like the realistic ish aesthetic of having local roads like you would irl. anyway i have a little square suburb and equally square industrial area and its all dinky, meanwhile, in games, some goon made this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I am a braindead NYC commuter and making a non grid-based city is an unfathomable challenge to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Yeah but I kinda like the realistic ish aesthetic of having local roads like you would irl. anyway i have a little square suburb and equally square industrial area and its all dinky, meanwhile, in games, some goon made this

Oh yeah I mean using big roads for thoroughfares. I have lots of six lanes cutting through the city with curvy small roads that lead off into forests or whatever. I also found that keeping highway connections for your industrial sector is very useful

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

to connect to the highway do you just need one ramp or do you need an on/off ramp or what I can't seem to get that to work. I connected my road to the highway via a ramp but everyone ignores it

as for curvy roads i keep forgetting you can curve them pretty extensively so everything is coming out sim city 2000 style, as that is the last city builder i played

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the one way ramps are directional based on which you drew it, so if you go from road to highway in the wrong direction it will be useless

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

the one way ramps are directional based on which you drew it, so if you go from road to highway in the wrong direction it will be useless

oh wow that seems intuitive which is probably why i missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There's a mod that lets you "upgrade" one way roads to a new direction if you need to.

• Locked thread