Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

the one way ramps are directional based on which you drew it, so if you go from road to highway in the wrong direction it will be useless

oh wow that seems intuitive which is probably why i missed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

There's a mod that lets you "upgrade" one way roads to a new direction if you need to.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my guys are super stoked for this one single lovely bus line

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Frog Act posted:

I accidentally destroyed my industry at one point by setting up a bus line between residential and industrial - which made everyone try to get on the busses - which did not have nearly enough capacity, so everyone stood at the bus stops while the factories shut down

everyone loves busses :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Frog Act posted:

"this one lovely bus line is such a great value!"

"Just looking at this one lovely bus line is making me nauseous..."

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I accidentally destroyed my industry at one point by setting up a bus line between residential and industrial - which made everyone try to get on the busses - which did not have nearly enough capacity, so everyone stood at the bus stops while the factories shut down

everyone loves busses :)

uh oh thats pretty much exactly what i did, do i need to like build another bus station down in the industrial area or something

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

"this one lovely bus line is such a great value!"

"Just looking at this one lovely bus line is making me nauseous..."

Lol

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Are there any good tycoon type games that have released in the last 5 years?

1upclock
Sep 25, 2009

Taken completely out of context

net cafe scandal posted:

Are there any good tycoon type games that have released in the last 5 years?

Not really.

Follow-up question: Why?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Frog Act posted:

uh oh thats pretty much exactly what i did, do i need to like build another bus station down in the industrial area or something

You can increase transportation spending in the budget menu to get more busses, and building a somewhat similar parallel line will help. Like have the same industrial destination but split the residential stops to different parts of the city.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Wormskull posted:

There's a mod that lets you "upgrade" one way roads to a new direction if you need to.

It also lets you upgrade two-way to one-way and vice versa and is pretty much fantastic.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You can increase transportation spending in the budget menu to get more busses, and building a somewhat similar parallel line will help. Like have the same industrial destination but split the residential stops to different parts of the city.

word, i think i'll probably add a few parallel lines that cover other areas and hope that will work

i feel like i'm gonna have to dos ome serious reordering once cargo trains are available

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

added a metro and new bus lines and i haven't run into any traffic problems yet. the garment district inexplicably shut down for a few weeks but ppl are beginning to rebuild, nto sure why that happened

anyway here is a little boy who is delighted his house is burning down

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

help im retarded and managed to create a traffic jam on a railway.

Is there anyway to unfuck this cause its causing huge jams at the railway crossings

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

more railways?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I have no idea how to make sensible road connection from the highway offramps. they always end up being really over crowded. i had tried using one way streets but ones entering an urban area get crowded. ideas?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
I don't understand dams

I built a dam that the game claimed would make me 400 MW.

why.....

(also, the lack of flow from upstream has caused sewage from my downstream sewage pipes to begin migrating upward and into my water intake. how is life so hard)

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
this game looks ballin and u guys are making me want to purchase it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my morning jackass posted:

I have no idea how to make sensible road connection from the highway offramps. they always end up being really over crowded. i had tried using one way streets but ones entering an urban area get crowded. ideas?

i've been connecting each industrial area to the highway seperately via two ramps, one on, one off, w/the highway connected shortly before the exits so people can u-turn if they need to get to the other side. this seems to have stopped traffic from backing up ni either my generic industry or agricultural sector

it also helps that i only connect to highways with six lane roads, also keep intersections as far from the actual off ramp as possible because all the cims will stop at the stop light those generate

PleasingFungus posted:

I don't understand dams

I built a dam that the game claimed would make me 400 MW.

why.....

(also, the lack of flow from upstream has caused sewage from my downstream sewage pipes to begin migrating upward and into my water intake. how is life so hard)

im playing on the same map and i tried to build a dam worth 80mw slightly upstream from where you were and it caused my water system to pump the river dry in like four days. im wondering how you're supposed to maintain water flow through your hydroelectic plants if it only lets a tiny bit through

im thinking about building the dam on the northernmost river and eventually developing that land while i continue to use the bottom one for water/turds

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Frog Act posted:

i've been connecting each industrial area to the highway seperately via two ramps, one on, one off, w/the highway connected shortly before the exits so people can u-turn if they need to get to the other side. this seems to have stopped traffic from backing up ni either my generic industry or agricultural sector

it also helps that i only connect to highways with six lane roads, also keep intersections as far from the actual off ramp as possible because all the cims will stop at the stop light those generate

im playing on the same map and i tried to build a dam worth 80mw slightly upstream from where you were and it caused my water system to pump the river dry in like four days. im wondering how you're supposed to maintain water flow through your hydroelectic plants if it only lets a tiny bit through

im thinking about building the dam on the northernmost river and eventually developing that land while i continue to use the bottom one for water/turds

maybe try building dams not making milliwatts?

seems dumb idk

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This just got a patch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

turn tilt shifting off you clowns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This just got a patch.

Whats in the patch? I just got back from the gym.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Whats in the patch? I just got back from the gym.

a bunch of miscellaneous fixes and they implemented the mod that lets you right click in upgrade mode to change the direction of one way streets. super useful now that i'm building multiple highway interchanges

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

oddium posted:

turn tilt shifting off you clowns

Actually, it's nice.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Actually, it's nice.

:agreed:

so anyone got a good idea as to why my oldest and most generic industrial district seems to be going under? the population keeps growing and it should be able to sustain job growth is it because I built a college and now everyone is going to work in offices and poo poo?

it doesn't seem to be traffic problems b/c what congestion i have seems to be concentrated largely around the residential/commercial downtown interchange onto the roads that take you to industrial districts

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Frog Act posted:

:agreed:

so anyone got a good idea as to why my oldest and most generic industrial district seems to be going under? the population keeps growing and it should be able to sustain job growth is it because I built a college and now everyone is going to work in offices and poo poo?

it doesn't seem to be traffic problems b/c what congestion i have seems to be concentrated largely around the residential/commercial downtown interchange onto the roads that take you to industrial districts

Probably overeducation, it seems like some of the dirty industry always die off and get replaced as more of your population gets educated and doesn't want to fill the low education job slots. Or at least it does for me.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Probably overeducation, it seems like some of the dirty industry always die off and get replaced as more of your population gets educated and doesn't want to fill the low education job slots. Or at least it does for me.

hmmm how can i ensure a blue collar work force? just keep building residential areas but not schools?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's what I did for my farmland and it seems to work

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I just put some residential stuff by itself out in the forest with the forestry industry when I wanted to do that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's so loving dumb that your entire population is educated just because you have schools. You can tell this game was made by hippy retard europeans because farming makes more money than manufacturing and causes no pollution and forestry is completely sustainable and also causes no pollution. Wimnd farms are completely perfect and there's no reason to ever build anything that pollutes except for a landfill at the start of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's so loving dumb that your entire population is educated just because you have schools. You can tell this game was made by hippy retard europeans because farming makes more money than manufacturing and causes no pollution and forestry is completely sustainable and also causes no pollution. Wimnd farms are completely perfect and there's no reason to ever build anything that pollutes except for a landfill at the start of the game.

They're right.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish you could develop biotech industries to create insane vegetable abominations or something.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

i was kind of wondering where those giant pools of pig slurry that farming produces were, someone should mod those in

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, it would be neat if renewables varied their power output so you had to either over build to weather the sags or have normal plants as backup to cover it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

NZ is like 80% renewable energy and we never ever have to worry about power variations, aside from reservoir lake levels once a decade.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Whittaker’s is nice

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hippie game designers is why I always try to make putrid hell worlds in these kinds of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

solar power is even better than wind, it has low noise pollution, produces tons of power, and is small and consumes no resources.

anyway i hope that the devs or some modders tweak things to make happiness, education, and crime a little more realistic. everyone that lives in my city is happy as poo poo all the time and there's no crime and the schools are all full. there should be some kind of equivalent of urban blight and a horrific cycle of poverty, if only because my city needs women with drawn-on eyebrows to work at the drug stores and blue collar drunks for the fish stick factory.

• Locked thread