Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't even know how crime would happen. I built a park once that had a high crime rate even though it was a block away from a police station. Eventually I got fed up and bulldozed and rebuilt it and never had a problem again. There's not even crime in my oil city shitholes with no fire department, police department, or anything beyond a middle school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was playing this for a sec but not being able to easily make perfectly parallel roads annoyed me so I'm watching the WWE's Macho Man Randy Savage doc instead.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Frog Act posted:

anyway i hope that the devs or some modders tweak things to make happiness, education, and crime a little more realistic. everyone that lives in my city is happy as poo poo all the time and there's no crime and the schools are all full. there should be some kind of equivalent of urban blight and a horrific cycle of poverty, if only because my city needs women with drawn-on eyebrows to work at the drug stores and blue collar drunks for the fish stick factory.

So basically they made the same mistake that the machines did when they built the first Matrix.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't even know how crime would happen. I built a park once that had a high crime rate even though it was a block away from a police station. Eventually I got fed up and bulldozed and rebuilt it and never had a problem again. There's not even crime in my oil city shitholes with no fire department, police department, or anything beyond a middle school.

I built an opera house way outside the range of any police and it got robbed once

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My God. Just learned that the Dunkin' Donuts I bake at is the very same that supplied donuts to the staff at the hospital where Macho Man Randy Savage died after his car crash with his wife.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

probably it wasn't connected properly to roads

someone told me that you could make parks that are just connected by footpaths rather than roads by placing a road, placing the park, and then deleting the road. I did this and felt very clever, and it even worked for a while. then I went over to look again, and saw big 'full of garbage' icons hovering right above my lovely parks...

in conclusion, life is pain, and I have no idea how you're supposed to get a dam running. three non-working dams so far, and counting.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
be patient, it takes like a month sometimes. when you install the dam, what happens to the downstream water level?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

be patient, it takes like a month sometimes. when you install the dam, what happens to the downstream water level?

I waited several months for each dam.

the first dam blocked up the upstream area, downstream did nothing notable, no power flowed. I built it pretty close to the edge of the map, so I figured maybe that was the problem?

second dam was built further into the map, at the point where two rivers met. (that's the one I took the screenshot of.) downstream completely dried up & turned green and grassy (though there was somehow enough water for most of the downstream water pumps to keep running>). after close examination, I realized that one of the rivers had reversed its course, and was now channeling the water from the upstream fork. that... made no sense, but whatever. demolished.

third dam was built on top of the upper of the two rivers, rather than blocking both. this caused the water from the lower fork to flow up into the dam from below (!?)

no power from any of them.

:rip:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

My cemeteries have ceased to function, for no reason I can comprehend. The city is filled with the bodies of the dead and the people flee in their hundreds.

All is lost.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Hmm. I'm going to buy this game and try to do turd terrors.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PleasingFungus posted:

My cemeteries have ceased to function, for no reason I can comprehend. The city is filled with the bodies of the dead and the people flee in their hundreds.

All is lost.

Build crematoria in the downtown, they make no pollution or noise

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I need 4 dumps and 2 incinerators for a city with a population of about 10k. Is this normal or am I loving stupid?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

I need 4 dumps and 2 incinerators for a city with a population of about 10k. Is this normal or am I loving stupid?

Dumps fill up. Eventually I build a pile of incinerators, empty the dumps and then delete them.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Forestry and farming is totally realistic and not at all over powered.

The farms in the second pic used to be basically a superfund site.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Just pretend that they're Schräbergärten. Totally realistic.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Build crematoria in the downtown, they make no pollution or noise

I'd been trying to get the "3 full graveyards" unique building, but just before my graveyards filled up, they abruptly ceased to send out any hearses at all. Kinda frustrating.

I could probably salvage the situation somehow, but tbh I think I'm just going to unlock a few more unique buildings (like the "4% tax rate for 40 weeks" one) and then start a new city. Thanks, though!

e: new city has no police stations at all, in an attempt to get the "50% crime rate" building. Got to 32%, then slowly declined over time, possibly due to education (?). city growth continues seemingly undeterred.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 21, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Booted this up tonight to take a break from Turdborne. I also read about a neat idea where you swap save files with other people every time you reach a new city size, so that you end up with a freakishly designed city built by 4 different people. This game is still cool and somebody is working on a mod to add first person online multiplayer where you can walk around other peoples cities.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
turd bone

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

probably it wasn't connected properly to roads

someone told me that you could make parks that are just connected by footpaths rather than roads by placing a road, placing the park, and then deleting the road. I did this and felt very clever, and it even worked for a while. then I went over to look again, and saw big 'full of garbage' icons hovering right above my lovely parks...

in conclusion, life is pain, and I have no idea how you're supposed to get a dam running. three non-working dams so far, and counting.

theres a mod so that infrastructure vehicles will drive on pedestrian paths

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i havent played this game in a little while because i started a new city and put like 3-4 hours in and i didnt save it and the game crashed, but im going to play it soon and continue to make weed forests engulfing my city

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's very calming. A good game to play while drinking a fresh cup of hot tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the mods for this game own

too bad they make it run too slow for me to actually play

• Locked thread