Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
(discussing the structure of umineko, ep 3 spoilers) i think episode 3 introducing eva-beatrice, virgilia, and ronove gives you the framework to begin to understand how the magical interacts with the mystery. they all have clear counterparts on rokkenjima (eva, kumasawa, genji) and the episode is about an eva culprit theory much in the same way that episode 2 further explores the methods and motivation of beatrice-culprit. it isn't necessarily true that umineko Expects you to have figured everything out on your first read of each episode, but it does hope that you take the knowledge from later episodes and actively return to the earlier episodes to re-examine them. this is apocryphal in that i don't have a source on hand but my buddy told me very confidently that episode 3 was scrapped and rewritten entirely because fan reaction to episode 2 was along the lines of "this is impossible to solve so i'm not going to try."

that said (full umineko spoilers) the magic bullshit in episode 8 is mostly a waste of time. :ssh:

Stefan Prodan posted:

also I still don't really understand, even all the way through the game, what is supposed to be going on in the tea party and ??? segments and how I was supposed to interpret them at the time. are they really characters talking at any point? are they in some other universe? like, are they literally happening at all in any way? because in some of them, if I remember right, some stuff actually does happen, so like...does it happen? there's just a ton where I still have no idea what is going on even mostly through the game. like who are the other witches supposed to be, do they exist at all, etc.

specifically regarding this (full umineko spoilers), my interpretation of the meta-world segments is that it is tohya and ikuko working through tohya both regaining the memories of battler and coming to terms with what he went through and couldn't prevent. none of it Literally Happens but particularly in the episodes claimed to be written by tohya (3-6) this is kind of an author working through it type situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Ketchupface posted:

(discussing the structure of umineko, ep 3 spoilers) i think episode 3 introducing eva-beatrice, virgilia, and ronove gives you the framework to begin to understand how the magical interacts with the mystery. they all have clear counterparts on rokkenjima (eva, kumasawa, genji) and the episode is about an eva culprit theory much in the same way that episode 2 further explores the methods and motivation of beatrice-culprit. it isn't necessarily true that umineko Expects you to have figured everything out on your first read of each episode, but it does hope that you take the knowledge from later episodes and actively return to the earlier episodes to re-examine them. this is apocryphal in that i don't have a source on hand but my buddy told me very confidently that episode 3 was scrapped and rewritten entirely because fan reaction to episode 2 was along the lines of "this is impossible to solve so i'm not going to try."

that said (full umineko spoilers) the magic bullshit in episode 8 is mostly a waste of time. :ssh:

specifically regarding this (full umineko spoilers), my interpretation of the meta-world segments is that it is tohya and ikuko working through tohya both regaining the memories of battler and coming to terms with what he went through and couldn't prevent. none of it Literally Happens but particularly in the episodes claimed to be written by tohya (3-6) this is kind of an author working through it type situation.

ok so who are the witches, do they correspond to anyone real? bernkastel, lambadelta, etc.?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ultimately Umineko is just always going to drive some people crazy (feral, good) and drive some people crazy (frustrated, bad)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Stefan Prodan posted:

ok so who are the witches, do they correspond to anyone real? bernkastel, lambadelta, etc.?

Real. Yeah, I saw them at Costco the other day.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ketchupface posted:

(discussing the structure of umineko, ep 3 spoilers) i think episode 3 introducing eva-beatrice, virgilia, and ronove gives you the framework to begin to understand how the magical interacts with the mystery. they all have clear counterparts on rokkenjima (eva, kumasawa, genji) and the episode is about an eva culprit theory much in the same way that episode 2 further explores the methods and motivation of beatrice-culprit.

(similar spoilers)It's not quite accurate to say that Episode 3 is an "Eva culprit" scenario (though I'm not sure if this is actually what you're saying). It attempts to mislead you towards this (by culminating in the "reveal" with Eva directly killing Battler at the end), but the person who planned the murders was still the same as always. Eva just threw a wrench in the works by doing some murders herself, derailing "Beatrice's" plans.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

There is a direct origin for them that you can find in Higurashi and some of its spinoffs, but I prefer to think of them as higher meta-concepts that are "required" for a When They Cry game (hence them being referred to as "travellers" rather than "natives" to the gameboard). It's a bit like Beatrice, who was a real person but comes to represent a number of different concepts in her "ascended" meta-world version. Why does the story move between different scenarios/timelines in search of a solution? That's what Bernkastel's power represents - she can keep trying until she finds an ideal world. Why isn't there a scenario/timeline where the central problem of the game just isn't happening (eg, nobody got killed at Rokkenjima)? That's what Lambdadelta's power represents - she can make sure the culprit's plan will always be set in motion no matter the world. Neither power can be demonstrated within the context of any individual gameboard, but if you look at the games as a whole their actions are evident.

Overall I'd say the metaworld does have some metaphorical meaning when it comes Ange's journey and the Tohya/Ikuko dynamic, but especially when viewing it in the context of Higurashi you have to accept it's also just a higher place between worlds that "exists" in its own right.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There is a direct origin for them that you can find in Higurashi and some of its spinoffs, but I prefer to think of them as higher meta-concepts that are "required" for a When They Cry game (hence them being referred to as "travellers" rather than "natives" to the gameboard). It's a bit like Beatrice, who was a real person but comes to represent a number of different concepts in her "ascended" meta-world version. Why does the story move between different scenarios/timelines in search of a solution? That's what Bernkastel's power represents - she can keep trying until she finds an ideal world. Why isn't there a scenario/timeline where the central problem of the game just isn't happening (eg, nobody got killed at Rokkenjima)? That's what Lambdadelta's power represents - she can make sure the culprit's plan will always be set in motion no matter the world. Neither power can be demonstrated within the context of any individual gameboard, but if you look at the games as a whole their actions are evident.

Overall I'd say the metaworld does have some metaphorical meaning when it comes Ange's journey and the Tohya/Ikuko dynamic, but especially when viewing it in the context of Higurashi you have to accept it's also just a higher place between worlds that "exists" in its own right.

yeah so since I hadn't played Higurashi I just had no context for any of this and I was trying to sort out everything including the in between parts and I just felt like I had no chance

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I mean, it's not really necessary at all to be familiar with the related characters from Higurashi. It probably helps the most with Bernkastel, but still doesn't tell you that much.

Like with a lot of the "meta" things it's kind of difficult to directly define the various entities, but I view Lambda/Bernkastel as representing two separate things. Maybe there's a way to combine these, but I dunno how - maybe someone else has a better idea. I'm also not at all confident about a lot of this - it's just my view of things.

- They represent two different concepts. With Lambda (zettai no majo) being the "absolute will to make something happen, absolutely" - which "Beatrice" gains the "favor" of by fully committing to carry out her plan. And Bernkastel in contrast is a sort of passive "will to passively wait until the ideal event, no matter how unlikely, happens." For Beatrice, this represents "the hope that Battler will miraculously come to understand her, over the course of all the 'games.'" This is why, during the games, Battler is supported by Bernkastel. I also think this is why, even ignoring the Higurashi stuff, they're portrayed as being "in conflict" as concepts. Bernkastel's is fundamentally passive, while Lambda's is active. Neither are inherently good or evil.
- They represent "readers of stories," and are thus untouchable by the characters within the stories. Featherine is above even them, because she represents "the person who writes the stories" (Ryukishi in this case).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 23, 2024

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Again, I will say, part of the reason the When They Cry thread was created was because people were sick of this thread looking like a redacted CIA document or whatever. If you are going to have very long and very spoilery back and forths, you might as well migrate it to that thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MegaZeroX posted:

Again, I will say, part of the reason the When They Cry thread was created was because people were sick of this thread looking like a redacted CIA document or whatever. If you are going to have very long and very spoilery back and forths, you might as well migrate it to that thread.

I think it was actually made because Gaius Marius was making very annoying posts.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Gaius was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Long Umineko chains have often been broken up by complaining about it for basically the entire thread's history, from what I remember.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
how about you post-sluts play some misericorde instead of [spoiler][spoiler]ing all the day 🙄🙄🙄

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey I'm also very happy to just not put spoiler tags around the 20 something year old game since I'm only saying very vague things that I wouldn't honestly care if I read first but I know some people are very sensitive about any information at all

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh my god uminekos really is almost 20 years old what the gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And in twenty years there might be another episode of Ciconia

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Snooze Cruise posted:

how about you post-sluts play some misericorde instead of [spoiler]ing all the day 🙄🙄🙄

[Banging fists on table rhythmically] WHERE IS THE NEXT EPISODE, WHERE IS THE NEXT EPISODE?!

ymgve posted:

yeah, [spoiler] the bunny sisters showed up and started talking in fake-tech speak

I'm the garbage person who loved them! They were so cute, but killer rabbits are a favorite trope of mine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

And in twenty years there might be another episode of Ciconia

Maybe if you believe in magic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

yeah so since I hadn't played Higurashi I just had no context for any of this and I was trying to sort out everything including the in between parts and I just felt like I had no chance

even among people who read Higurashi there was a shitload of confusion over who they represented, especially since Umineko straight-up references stuff that didn’t happen until Higurashi Sotsu in 2020

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fate/stay night is getting an official Remaster in Japanese/English/Chinese for Steam and Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hHrpAp8rU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

Fate/stay night is getting an official Remaster in Japanese/English/Chinese for Steam and Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_hHrpAp8rU

Wow! According to Internet Cannon™ part of the reason FS/N was never localized was because Type Moon was asking big bucks for licensing rights, so I wonder who is localizing it (and if they bit the bullet or Type Moon agreed take less).

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Aniplex has been in charge of publishing all the Type-Moon stuff lately and they realized that people want to play it in other languages, so they've been localizing it all for the past couple years now

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason this remaster exists is to give them an excuse to spring for a localization

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MegaZeroX posted:

Wow! According to Internet Cannon™ part of the reason FS/N was never localized was because Type Moon was asking big bucks for licensing rights, so I wonder who is localizing it (and if they bit the bullet or Type Moon agreed take less).
The far more likely reason (especially when Mahoyo/Tsukihime got their localizations announced) was that there had not been a "new" version of FSN to release other than a mobile version a few years ago. IIRC you couldn't even buy the last PC version anymore. As all of these VNs are now getting remasters and re-releases the timing makes more sense than in the past.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I read some interviews saying that Nasu likes to be involved in any translations and translating old games was just seen as a low priority compared to the new projects he's working on. Glad that they're doing a remake, the existing FSN translation is pretty clunky and apparently has some inaccuracies that make things even more confusing than they already are

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It's been 20 years fate is mainstream in the west now

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just finished reading Misericorde Volume 1. Very enjoyable, but I have not even the slightest idea what's actually going on. This is definitely something that would benefit from a reread with a notepad open.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No announcement. Pure speculation. But...

Ace Attorney Investigations 1&2 has to be in development/translation at this point. Everything else is done now and has been successful to enough of a degree for them to keep going. They even translated both of the Sherlock Holmes games.

I'm guessing there will be an announcement later this year.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

No announcement. Pure speculation. But...

Ace Attorney Investigations 1&2 has to be in development/translation at this point. Everything else is done now and has been successful to enough of a degree for them to keep going. They even translated both of the Sherlock Holmes games.

I'm guessing there will be an announcement later this year.

in your dreams

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anyone want a copy of Death Mark 2 (PS5) for a hefty discount? A shipping error on the part of a certain monolithic retailer has left me with extra copies. $35 shipped, and I'll create a SA Mart thread if there's interest.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
After many months I finally decided to forcefully remove Misericorde from the anchoress cell it was occuppying in my library and give it a try.
My review: I liked the game, but then it ended, and I did not like that it ended, so it's a bad game. It will only become a good game when the next episode drops and I can again spend hours upon hours with these lovely nuns.

Further observations:

- I was a bit iffy on playing a kinetic novel, but in retrospect a lot of the choices in VNs tend to be pointless fluff to obfuscate your way to the true ending, so streamlining the experience into something purely linear doesn't feel like a huge loss. I don't recall ever thinking "i wish i had a choice to do this differently, Hedwig you moron". I mean, Hedwig is a moron, but I was always looking forward to what mess she'd bumble into.
- I really like the choice of protagonist. I feel like for a setting like this, it would have been easy to go with, like, a young novice, maybe one who was forced into her vows so she could offer a more skeptical perspective, but I really like that Hedwig is the biggest Jesus freak of the entire cast, I really like that she literally doesn't know jack poo poo outside of what's in the Bible and the Bible Extended Universe, I really like that, in addition to wanting to solve the case, she also gets to have motivations that are so alien not only to the other nuns, but also the reader, and she still comes across as such a likeable (if somewhat unhinged) weirdo. hehe.
- drat, this game has a huge soundtrack for a uhhh 1? 2? 3 people project? My favorite so far is this one, which gives me mad Cocteau Twins vibes
- It's true that the game plays a little loose with historical accuracy when placed next to something like Pentiment (the most obvious comparison), but I didn't spot anything particularly egregious. The dialogue feels a little modern both in vocabulary and tone, but most of the lines are entirely plausible for a convent where you send the bad nuns for nun crimes.
- It took me a little while to realize I was supposed to read Darcy's text as :spergin: and not as a shitposting nun

my theory: hedwig has leadbrains from having been exposed to toxic inks in a poorly ventilated environment for most of her life

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
my theory: hedwig has lesibrains

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

my theory: hedwig has lesibrains

she just has a strong yearning to quote Ruth 1:16-17 to someone

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The early bit that really sold me on Misericorde was when she's still the anchoress and the conversation quickly becomes "Hey isn't it weird that people get killed for being gay? Do you think about handsome men or beautiful women more often? How would you feel if a woman called you hot? Let's try and find a way to see each others faces!"

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

After you finish the game, its smart to go looking through the image gallery for a special surprise.

chrome line posted:

The early bit that really sold me on Misericorde was when she's still the anchoress and the conversation quickly becomes "Hey isn't it weird that people get killed for being gay? Do you think about handsome men or beautiful women more often? How would you feel if a woman called you hot? Let's try and find a way to see each others faces!"

Hedwig might be my favorite new protagonist of 2023, she's just so completely messy and stupid in so many understandable and tragic ways.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 29, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The way she rapidly bounces back and forth between protagonist syndrome and oh my god please just let me go back to my hole is relatable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Spike Chunsoft is having a sale on Steam this week, including 428 Shibuya Scramble, AI: The Somnium Files, Zero Escape, Steins;Gate, and Danganronpa.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s a good sale. Picked up the main Science Adventures set outside of the most recent, 428, and Nirvana Initiative. Should more than keep me busy until the obligatory Steam Golden Week sale and potential discounts on Higurashi et al.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Speaking of 428, is there a good patch/translation of Machi - Unmei no Kousaten?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tsukihime is out in the US in July. Switch and PS4 (and probably PC?).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Finally! Hopefully it sells well enough they bring the second half over too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I’m extremely happy that a bunch of classic VNs are getting official western releases, especially on the Type-Moon end of things. As they say, huge Fate/Stay Night Fan excited to play it for the first time.

Speaking of, I’ve been working my way through Mahoyo and really enjoying it, but I’m getting a little concerned and confused by the pacing. Based on the way the chapter select is structured, it seems like I’m getting close to the end, but, well… I just finished the chapter with the Alice versus Touko fight and it feels like between Beowulf and the church there’s a segment of the cast that has been barely introduced? Like there’s this pretty boy priest featured prominently on the box who hasn’t even shown up yet and it kind of felt like the church was something to keep in mind for later, but I have no idea how any of this will factor into anything without the last chunk being hilariously dense.

I don’t know, it’s probably not going to bug me all that much if it is the case outside of wishing we had less Kinomi and more of everyone else, but it is kind of a thing that’s bothering me as I actually read.

How much of it do I even have left, anyway?