Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Just got to the end of Higurashi chapter one and my mind feels static-y from what I just spent the past 10 days reading. Wonderfully compelling read. I feel like I know too much and too little to form any confident speculations that weren't in the bonus segment at the end, but the fact most of the things I considered were brought up in it tells me I'm either on the right track or just thinking exactly what Ryukishi07 wants me to think to throw me off.

The bonus segment also teased that chapter two will dig more into the town itself which I'm excited about because I'm rather fond of the village mythology. My grandmother is from a remote village in Peru and they had a similar thing a lot of the locals believed in to explain why people suddenly disappeared or were found mysteriously mutilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Saw that Suhoshin just got released on the PSN store and I have a busy couple of weeks coming up so I decided to do a single 8 hour power session today from beginning to end for all the endings and gallery images and all that.

Overall a pretty satisfying experience. The story is sort of a Kotaro Uchikoshi style murder mystery set in Joseon era Korea in the sense it has a a few bad endings you have to unlock to get the final/true ending. I've seen people compare it to Raging Loop, although I can't really confirm that as I haven't played that past the first hour yet. It's actually developed by a tiny France based team (end credits ran for about 10 seconds), although half the names in the credits were Korean, and it also does the Uchikoshi thing of supplying supplementary cultural information for context.

In terms of stuff that would warrant trigger warnings it was pretty safe as well outside of the fact it's a murder mystery, so I'd feel pretty comfortable recommending it to people if I thought it would be kind of thing they'd be interested in.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 13, 2023

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

i should try paradise killer again, i put some time in it when it first came out but i got bored walking around

I really liked it by the end but for the first few hours I felt kind of aimless myself. It was hard to put context to the huge amount of random stuff to pick up scattered about, but once I started to understand what the actual mystery was and who all the characters and world were it made the process a lot more fun and engaging.

I guess if I could go back again and give myself any advice I'd just suggest initially trying to focus on investigating the mystery and getting to know the suspects instead of getting sidetracked by every item I could see that I'm worried I'll miss. You almost always will come back to that place later, and there's an item that more or less echolocates where everything is located around you. Actually trying to get that and the movement powers makes the game a lot smoother to play, and you can find them all very early.

MegaZeroX posted:

Honestly, Paradise Killer is more good in the "game you can chill and vibe to" sort of way like VA-11 Hall-A. I'd imagine there is overlap where people that like one probably like the other and people that don't like one probably don't like the other.

Yeah if you just feel like doing item collection it's an excellent podcast game.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 6, 2023

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Visual novels are a weird sort of creature for me in terms of time spent because I normally try to avoid long games unless they happen to be particularly special, and most of my particularly memorable and satisfying experiences with visual novels have been long ones where I spent a lot of time with the characters, unlocked different paths and probably found a true ending.

I think I mostly just don't mind with visual novels because in most instances it never feels like I'm not making progress. I know that if I just play long enough I'm going to see everything I want to see.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

My brother got me Muv-Luv for Christmas and initially in those scene with the robot combat game I was clicking on the targets that were appearing on screen in a panic thinking they were a Point Blank style quick time minigame that would affect the outcome of the scene. Eventually I realised they weren't and I wish I could go back to thinking they were.

Really enjoying Muv-Luv still though.