Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I applaud you starting the thread with pretty much the biggest gun possible. :haw:

Edit: Do americans seriously consider Higurashi "all ages"? There's nothing sexual in it, but everything else puts it firmly in the "only to be read by adults category" for me.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I know basically no kanji of any complexity, but my dictionary says 蝕 is "eclipsed" and imo "Uneclipsed Golden Chain" makes sense for a mafia name.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Bizarrely (though pretty common in kanji, unfortunately) the kanji has two completely unrelated meanings. One is eclipse and the other is having to do with corrosion or rot/decay. I wasn't sure if they were going for the eclipse or corrosion meaning myself until they introduce the rival gang and their name basically means 'wind corrosion' so I figured it had to be the corrosion meaning, which makes more sense for a golden chain anyway. Doesn't really matter though, kanji-salad BS organization names are like the bread and butter of Japanese fiction.
I'm aware of the multiple reading thing. My dictionary seems, from past observation, to list meanings in the order they're most likely to be used in, in this case:

―meanings―
eclipse
occultation
be defective

Thats why i thought that'd be the most likely one for this too, since it actually makes sense in english. Then again i'm blindly guessing and maybe this is just another case of "japan likes puns/wordplay". :)