Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
the thing w/ george and shannon is that yeah the age gap is never formally acknowledged (and i fully believe this is a flaw with umineko) but the novel goes a good job on portraying that their relationship has the exact toxic power dynamic that stems from a relationship that started between a 10 year old and a 17 year old

spoilers up to ep 7 (i have not read ep 8) george is someone who realized that he can't get girls his own age and is so jealous of his Thirteen Year Old Cousin becoming friendly with the family's Ten Year Old Servant Girl that he makes his primary goal in life to marry her, a child who is obligated to be friendly to him no matter how he acts because she has zero agency in her life

george does not respect shannon as an individual. at no point does he express interest in her own goals or hobbies. every time he discusses their future and their relationship it is solely in the context of what he wants. this is in direct and very intended contrast with battler, who builds a friendship and budding romance with shannon on the basis of a shared passion of theirs (mystery novels). shannon is an object to be won for george; shannon is a friend you want to spend time with to battler

and it does have a massive impact on yasu's psyche. right. like shannon is the perfect alter that can do everything yasu can't, for all of her life. she is the model servant who does all work flawlessly. and she's the alter that loves george, because george is her ticket off the island. its SO important that it is shannon in that position and not kanon, or beatrice. she's settling for him because she sees no other option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
i have absolutely seen people reading umineko who have correctly figured out the culprit a couple murders into episode 1. it's possible to solve.

the "game" that the novel is referring to is it asking you to solve the mystery it's setting out in front of you rather than passively continuing to read it. umineko is an extraordinarily well translated novel & it genuinely does not have any wasted time. it's awesome that you are noticing inconsistencies, and a better way to think about it might be to wonder why those inconsistencies exist

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010
(discussing the structure of umineko, ep 3 spoilers) i think episode 3 introducing eva-beatrice, virgilia, and ronove gives you the framework to begin to understand how the magical interacts with the mystery. they all have clear counterparts on rokkenjima (eva, kumasawa, genji) and the episode is about an eva culprit theory much in the same way that episode 2 further explores the methods and motivation of beatrice-culprit. it isn't necessarily true that umineko Expects you to have figured everything out on your first read of each episode, but it does hope that you take the knowledge from later episodes and actively return to the earlier episodes to re-examine them. this is apocryphal in that i don't have a source on hand but my buddy told me very confidently that episode 3 was scrapped and rewritten entirely because fan reaction to episode 2 was along the lines of "this is impossible to solve so i'm not going to try."

that said (full umineko spoilers) the magic bullshit in episode 8 is mostly a waste of time. :ssh:

Stefan Prodan posted:

also I still don't really understand, even all the way through the game, what is supposed to be going on in the tea party and ??? segments and how I was supposed to interpret them at the time. are they really characters talking at any point? are they in some other universe? like, are they literally happening at all in any way? because in some of them, if I remember right, some stuff actually does happen, so like...does it happen? there's just a ton where I still have no idea what is going on even mostly through the game. like who are the other witches supposed to be, do they exist at all, etc.

specifically regarding this (full umineko spoilers), my interpretation of the meta-world segments is that it is tohya and ikuko working through tohya both regaining the memories of battler and coming to terms with what he went through and couldn't prevent. none of it Literally Happens but particularly in the episodes claimed to be written by tohya (3-6) this is kind of an author working through it type situation.