Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Since people like reaction posts, I'll post my thoughts on Higurashi ch2. I'm spoiled on a big thing from a let's play of Umineko.

I like how in this chapter, everything gets more and more explainable by human causes until the end unlike in Ch1 where the spookiness ramped up to the end. I thought this was going to end when Keiichi got stabbed where pretty much everything could be explained. Mion's demon could have been some mental illness, and Tomitake's throat clawing was explained by drugs this time, unlike the first one where I think they were ruled out. But then comes the time of death shenanigans and Mion being in two places in one night while also being dead and Keiichi's mysterious death. Rika's syringe is a mystery too. From what I know, I'm guessing it's going to important in the future.

I like the slice of life parts. I didn't expect Shion to exist, but in hindsight, thinking Keiichi was actually right about something was a mistake. The kid doesn't seem like the brightest, even when he's not terrified. I'm one to talk though, since I didn't understand if it was Shion or Mion pretending on the first visit to Cafe Mort. Every Shion after that was definitely actual Shion.

Another difference between this and Ch1 is the role of Rena. This time she's an ally and expert detective instead of a possessed. Since the next chapter's icon is Satoko, I expect it to focus on her (Plus the line in the EXTRA where it says she'll get her turn). If I had to guess, I'd say she'll be the perpetrator carrying out killings with tons of nasty traps, while Mion's Keiichi's greatest ally to switch it up. There might be a new character with graphics. Is it too silly to expect it to be Satoko's twin sister never before mentioned?

Umineko was murder mystery themed and Higurashi is more a small-town horror. Does it have some message or catchphrase like 'without love it can't be seen'? It'll be interesting to find out. Also, there are voices? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

I think the voices add a lot. Here's a link. It's a really easy to install mod.

So you think that was Shion on the phone that got all crazy and laughed when Keiichi caught her on the mayor's disappearance? I might just be overthinking what is probably a simple plot event but that whole thing bothers me.

Thanks for the link.

No, I was only thinking of Shion's appearances in person. The one over the phone, if taking the 'people did it' approach was Mion pretending to be Shion. I'm not sure why she'd do that, though it did let her get a confession out of Keiichi. If demons did it, then it could be a disembodied voice or something spooky like that.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I finished Umineko Higurashi Ch3.

This was the first one I played with the voice patch. I don't think Rika said "meep" or "nipah" in the previous two chapters. A translation difference to match the voices? Anyhow, I liked the friendly home life sibling time. It warmed my heart, setting it up to be shattered by the scenes of Satoko's abuse and breakdown. It's painful to see a character getting abused, especially since I genuinely have become attached to these characters.

Horror is about fear. You want to get spooked. So what's tragedy for? Sympathy? This game is from Keiichi's POV, and it focuses for some time on Keiichi's powerlessness. He couldn't hide Satoko. Reporting to Japanese CPS might make it worse. And even after telling his teacher, they couldn't get past Satoko hiding her uncle's abuse. There are so many walls stopping her from getting help.

On the other hand, abuse is super-easy. Satoko's uncle can't support himself, but destroying Satoko's mental well-being is a piece of cake. The game makes murder look similarly easy. Start with an angry desire, add a hastily drawn plan, and dehumanize to taste. Voila! A dead body.

Like the characters discuss in the extra, it feels like killing Satoko's uncle was the choice that Oyashiro is punishing Keiichi for. If this were a Greek myth, the god would probably show up and shout at whoever managed to piss them off and explain why they're mad. But here I can only guess what the moral could be, if there is one. Could there have been another path? After the baseball game Mion remarks that Keiichi's strength, his rhetoric, would grow and empower him to do amazing things and rule the world or something like that. If he had godly persuasion maybe he could have achieved a better outcome.

For Ch4, I'm guessing that switching viewpoint characters also switch who gets targeted. Shion's been a victim before. Maybe Keiichi will be the one who gets possessed this time, as a continuation of how he was acting scary and weird-eyed towards his friends when planning the murder.

Arbitrary Number fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 20, 2019

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

I was curious about your reactions to umineko but that does not look like umineko you're talkin about.

oops! i meant higurashi

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Don't know if it's been posted before, but someone made steamed hams into a playable umineko episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJHCUmIC8M