Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Snow Halation posted:

Are we going to have a recommended VN list at the top of the thread? If so, some obvious choices to start off with are Steins; Gate (esp. with the upcoming console release) and Narcissu (available for free on Steam.)

We should add 999, VLR and Ace Attorney if we are doing that. Those are going to be must have I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tamba posted:

Episode 1 of MangaGamer's Higurashi-remake (new sprites, new translation, original music, no voice acting) is now available on Steam for $6 (-10% in the first week)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310360/

e: and by original music I mean the one music originally came with the game, not whatever garbage MangaGamer replaced it with in their first release.

Man, the art seems generic as hell here... well, some of it is just terrible. At least there will be Steins;Gate on the Vita, may double dip for that.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Saoshyant posted:

How's that one from someone who played it?

It's amusing in a tokatsu show sort of way, not a bad VN. Certainly not at the top tier but it's not bad at all. Writing is fairly decent and there is some humor.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

Holy poo poo the Muv-Luv kickstarter went gangbusters the last week or so. They'll probably break $1.1 Million.

Yeah, they finished with well over 7k backers and $1.25mil. That's crazy for a VN. That said they were very smart about the reward levels. $150 one was very tempting but I will just wait for steam release.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Getsuya posted:

From the only review the game currently has:

-Because of the new aspect ratio and higher resolution, you see a bit more of the sprites (they're actually full-body, though you could never tell in the original release) and a lot more of the backgrounds. The event cgs are cropped just a little bit, but I went through every last one, and they all still look great--better, actually, at the higher resolution.

So considering beside Ace Attorney, Daganronpa, 999/VLR I only played Steins;Gate (absolutely amazing, 11/10), If My Heart had Wings (very meh) and Cho Dengeki Stryker (its amusing, 6-7/10), where would this fall? Now I do have Clannad kickstarted and I did put couple $ toward Muv-Luv so i can decide in the backerkit if I want to actually contribute more. Fruit of Grisaia did not seem appealing at all based on pretty much everything I saw.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

It really depends on what you want I think; there's nothing inherently special about Devil on G-String really, it does what it sets out to do (cat-and-mouse crime/mystery thriller) in a mostly competent manner and if you're down with that genre you'll probably like it. If you don't you'll probably be ambivalent towards it. I'd subjectively say it's about as good as some of the weaker Ace Attorney games or 999, better than Danganronpa, and decidedly worse than either VLR or Steins;Gate.

E: Have you seen Death Note? If you liked that, you might like Devil on G-String.

Yeah, saw Death Note and found it to be quite good. I liked all of the games above so will grab it. Is voiced version a lot better?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I really got into VNs (well, really is a relative term) after Steins;Gate since that was pretty much amazing. Before I played 999/VLR (very much recommend them), Ace Attorney (great) and Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 (1 was better) plus P3/P4 have some VN parts I guess.

So far most VNs I got post Steins;Gate and the above list are kind of crappy. Cho Dengeki Stryker was meh (although it was at least amusing). Analogue/Hate Plus were meh. If My Heart Had Wings was fairly bad. So I have Clannad and WAS on my Steam list right now plus Muv-Luv through kickstarter (have high hopes for this one). Oh, Kira Kira was pretty good because of the music (played iOS version) and I picked up Deardrops & db vs Deardrops bundle sequels to it from mangagamer (that site... my eyes). Cherry Tree Comedy Club was short, kind of meh, but also amusing.

I am not sure if that counts but 80 Days and 39 Steps are highly enjoyable if not quite the same VN format. So are Sorcery Games (iOS/Android) and King of Dragon Pass (iOS/Android/PC). These are all more akin to "Choose your own adventure" but still are close enough.

Oh, and on Higurashi. That art makes my eyes bleed, I am going to skip that one.

Edit: I have been eyeing G Senjou Mao and Grisaia on Steam but the first one's art is off-putting and the latter I saw a few anime episodes and immediately stopped watching.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 23, 2015

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Saoshyant posted:

In another news, some idiot leaked a PQube internal email confirming the localization of Steins;Gate 0 on reddit and forgot to remove his real name from it and then deleted the whole thing. So, while not surprising, it's good to see that PQube is interested or actively moving towards a quick localization.

Oh hell yes. Steins;Gate was amazing and if they can get PC/Vita versions (or maybe even PS4) out fairly quickly that would be very very good. Great news (buried among some really weird arguments :P).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

FractalSandwich posted:

Playing Kindred Spirits has gotten Steam very confused about what I'm into. Guess I'd better get back into XCOM 2 to set it straight.

I have Clannad (decent), If My Heart Had Wings (pretty bad) and Cho Dengeki Stryker (mediocre) in my Steam library of 500+ games being the only VNs in there. Steam is fairly certain that Nekopara and some Sakura VN games are what I really want. Despite the fact that probably last 100 hours I mainly played bunch of different RPGs. Steam Recommendation choices are weird.

Can't wait for Steins;Gate (if someone doesn't have the Vita version, it's been on sale for $20 and under in a few places, get it).