Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

No Gravitas posted:

Heh. Ominous indeed.

I'm glad it is not just me who thinks the RNG for this game is poo poo. Well, either poo poo or just stacked against you.

Missing 4 75% chance shots in a row is a regular thing for me.

I decided to omit the screenshot because it was getting bloated already, but I tried using Monika's Marker on a target with a 99% chance, and it missed. So, they could probably tweak the numbers a bit.
e: goddamn page snipe, UPDATE ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And that's why you never let anyone not controlled by the player hack stuff. Always ends up bad.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Haha, I look forward to Gretel spotting more plot holes and being hilariously genre-aware in the future.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gretel von Sauerkraut posted:

...killed the King of the Caryards to get out without having to pay, even though the King was the only reason his pursuers didn't go there in the fir- Oh hey, you're out! Let's get back to business.

:golfclap:

Nobody else has mentioned this yet, but well played.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right, so the Matrix is probably the weakest part of the game. It doesn't show here since the section is pretty short but the longer decking segments can and will get really grating. You're fighting about four different types of enemies with about four different types of spells; while they made a really good job of making you feel the pressure of it since difficult fights can easily be decided by your decker doing his stuff in time, it's just such a drag to actually do it.
The good thing is that the game is (mostly) designed in a way that doesn't make it necessary but you're locking yourself out of a lot of stuff if you want to avoid it.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Will you be posting the soundtrack at all?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Will you be posting the soundtrack at all?

:cripes: Okay there was something big I knew I was forgetting. I'm gonna go retrofit the previous updates in a bit, in that case.
e: Alright the soundtrack has been pepper in where relevant. I can't find a good loop of the two Too Quiet tracks, but the full version of the track isn't used in Dragonfall the way it is in the OST so it complicated it a bit.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 17, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

[Help Dietrich hold Monika down.]
[As Dietrich holds Monika's thrashing body, you grab her head in both hands and hold it steady. Glory wraps a cybernetically enhanced hand around the cord leading to Monika's datajack and pries it free. The commingled scents of charred meat and ozone fill the air. You've seen the effects of biofeedback before, but nothing like this.]

Just stay with us, Monika. Okay? We're going to get you out of here.

drat it! What the hell happened to her in there?

F-feee... fearrr...
[With an effort, Monika opens her eyes again and meets yours. You see pain and fear in her gaze... and something else. Hope?]
Feuerschwinnnnggeeeee.
[A sudden spasm jerks Monika's head back again. She grunts. Then her chin drops to her chest, and her head lolls to one side. Her eyes fix on an object in the next room: a computer terminal. The soft light of a cursor blinks on its recessed screen. Slowly, she attempts to speak again, but the only sound that emerges is a long, strangled croak.]

I guess she's gonna miss Wyrmtalk tonight.
:cripes:
Oh screw you guys, she would have laughed.
Would have.

Soundtrack: Too Quiet (Gunfight)
drat it, we'll have time to mourn later. Which I was, mind you, just in my own wa- oh forget it.

And the action begins anew. We're about to get pounded with waves of enemies, and with Monika down we don't really have any reliable supressing fire from our living party members... directly.

For now we'll rely on Glory's pistol, but I have something in mind for our friend Dietrich in the near future.

Fortunately, the room ahead of us has some very convenient cover for us to take advantage of at the entryway.

It helps when the enemy just hands you these, too.

Eat it, you Sam Fischer-lookin'-rear end motherfucker.

Dietrich buffs Gretel's AP to help get her into position.

See, Monika was trying to point us to this terminal before she died. We can't do anything about it while there are enemies alive, but it's a good place to be...

...namely because Glory will eviscerate the last one, and we can check out what she needed to tell us.

Monika was trying to tell me something about this terminal. It must be important.
Well, any ideas? Something tells me we're going to have more company soon...
Stay frosty, Dietrich. Just give me a minute.

[Push]
>>>Processing Request.
.....0% Complete.
[As you watch, the number on the screen slowly begins to climb. This is going to take a while...]
Hm?
[You glance down at a second screen to see that the facility is on high alert. In place of a simple data vault, it seems you've stumbled upon some kind of massive underground complex. A map of the holdfast grounds indicates that security forces are en route from multiple angles. The doors currently being rebooted by the system's restore process are flashing a dull red.]
[If you're reding this display correctly, the only exit from this room is teh holdfast's old servants' entrance, on the western side of the building.]

Monika's down, Eiger. The vault was a setup.
...What?
No time to explain. We'll be exiting via an old servants' entrance to the west of the main grounds. I need you to keep that exit clear.
[Eiger's silence is thick, but when she finally respons, her tone is professional.]
Roger that.
[She cuts out without another word.]

Monika found a way to open the doors, but it's going to take some time.
[Dietrich's pained expression lightens a bit.] Of course she did.
When the door locks disarm, we make a break for it. Until then, we make them pay for Monika.

So now we just have to wait 10 turns until that door opens. Easy enough even without Monika. We just hold the line and-

A couple of drones will show up, again no big.

This is what I had in mind for Dietrich. A chance at making up for that previous summon blunder.

Wind Dancers aren't quite as impressive to look at as the Apocalypse spirits, and in my opinion aren't quite as threatening, but they have their perks.

And here's the issue, because there are enemy stations that the servants' entrance is dividing from the main room. So even when we're 'in the clear,' enemies will still keep pouring into our escape route.

Hey so do you wanna see what happens when this works?

Because then summons become actually quite nice. Anyone having 4 AP is a major boon, simply because they can position themselves well, or just fire off a hailstorm of missiles.

Wind Dancers don't have a ton of really splashy attacks right now, but their non-basic attacks are very useful. One does bonus AP damage, the other causes a hit foe to take 10 DMG per turn for a short while. Nothing to scoff at.

This guard has a grenade launcher! They can miss AOE attacks too, thank christ.

EMERGENCY EDIT posted:

So it was brought to my attention that I missed dialogue with the handsome stranger up there closest to the door, as he's supposed to converse with you when he first appears. This didn't trigger for me this run, and I had kind of forgotten about the first bit of dialogue because of the second. This segment of the game seems finicky in some regards, since my first ever run of the game involved him being assigned as a Neutral unit who ran around doing nothing the whole time. Game has some quirks is what I'm trying to say.
So anyway, here's how it was SUPPOSED to have gone down;

[The figure loping towrd you is big, even for an ork. The majority of his body is sheathed in a suit of heavy, overlapping plates. What you can see of his face looks raw and slick, like old scar tissue stretched tight over his skull. He wears an expression of supreme confidence.]
All right, friends. Playtime's over. All you shadowrunners are the same... skullking, sneaking. Steal a vase or two from the museum - no harm. Maybe I'd let you scamper away into the night.
loving knew I should have snagged that thing.
But now it's too late for that sort of generosity. Visitors aren't welcome down here.
[The gaping maw of the minigun jerks upward. An impatient gesture, loaded with malice.]
Drop your weapons and surrender.
That's military-grade armor he's wearing. V-Act. Hardened against small arms fire. We'll have a tough time getting through it.
I'm less concerned about the armor than I am about the minigun. Those things can tear a man in half.
You have three seconds before I open the hose. Step out here and surrender, and I promise I'll make this easy.
How 'bout you drop your enormous gun and step over here instead?
Funny. You're a funny lady.
[The ork's gauntleted fist tightens, and you hear the distinctive whir of his Vindicator's motor spinning up to speed. The barrels begin to blur as he wheels the weapon to face you.]

quote:

Aaaand scene.

Dietrich is on a roll this time around.

Oh, uh... I also missed grabbing a picture of this, but the big meat man over there has a metric SHITTON of armor, and basic attacks generally just plink off him.

The best chance is to just stop as many enemies from attacking as possible. I figured having Glory throw a flashbang would be a good way to approach this.

47% chance, with cover in the way. For some reason I STILL thought it would be a good way to approach this.

Not pictured: the flash, because it missed SO badly that it landed entirely behind the center structure.

It's supposed to look like that! Thankfully, they missed too.

Truth be told, nothing much worth covering happens for a while, except that Dietrich manages to pull out ANOTHER 4 AP. I think after successfully keeping a summon bound to you enough times, your summoner loses an AP to compensate for having so many extra moves on a secondary unit bound to them. A fair trade... until you need to escape. This will likely come up later.

I'm keeping my bruiser in the back row because enemies are still emerging from our escape route and who better to keep our extraction point clear?

Oh incidentally, I should point out the gun in the bottom left corner. Your clip capacity or soforth is measured by the bar. Blue indicates how much ammo you still have in your gun, and yellow is how much your next attack is going to use. Things like burst fire, obviously, exhaust more ammunition.

Ammo is unlimited, but reloading (with a few exceptions) takes one AP.

Also for now, Dietrich's last ability is an AOE attack that does DMG and AP damage. The issue comes from it costing 2 AP to use.

But I mean, you can't put a price on that.

I think it's time to say goodbye to our Wind Dancer. They served us well, but 16% chance of escaping for 1 AP? Not with these chance algorithms.

To be honest we're just waiting for something to happen right now, but that just looks nice enough to be worth sharing.

Oh also Dietrich carries Elemental Fetishes with him so he can summon Elementals on the fly! So it was really nice of that Wind Dancer to work with use but now we have another one!

...just in time for me to realize it's not necessary at all right now. Eh, at least party members refresh their consumables after a run.

Gretel books it for the door and

fuuuUUUUCK.

Gretel Smash.

Squads three and five report to main entrance. Do *not* let the intruders escape.
[Without another word, he slings his weapon over an armored shoulder and turns to leave the room.]
That's right, run away!

With that, Tall, Dark and Gruesome there takes his leave. I can't imagine anything good will come of meeting him again, not with that face.

At this point I just get everyone to the door because nothing that matters happens until we're out.

We can talk about this later. For now, we need to bug out.

End of Chapter 1

e: footnote (not part of the update content but I'm not triple posting for this); Probably not going to be updating so frequently for everything. I'll probably do full chapters in bursts like this, but I don't know exactly how long between chapters I'll take.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 18, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've had weird luck with some of the chance algorithms. Sometimes they're out for my blood, other times they let met have a summon at 4 ap into the 32% range. In my last run of this I sent the Wind Dancer to deal with security dudes all on his own and it succeeded. Plus when the 36% chance backfired against me next turn it had too little health to do anything after it wasted the last two enemies in the main room. Glory put it down with her pistol. :shepface:

AFAIK anyone who summons a spirit gets -1AP as long as it's summoned and under their control. Since they are expending effort in controlling it each turn.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

EponymousMrYar posted:

AFAIK anyone who summons a spirit gets -1AP as long as it's summoned and under their control. Since they are expending effort in controlling it each turn.

After looking through the update I'm starting to think that pertains to summons from Fetishes as opposed to environmental summons.

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
It looks like you missed the opening dialogue with the security captain. If I remember right, it has some decent info/flavor. Love the personal characterizations your doing though.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Tommy_Blanco posted:

It looks like you missed the opening dialogue with the security captain. If I remember right, it has some decent info/flavor. Love the personal characterizations your doing though.

This particular segment seems really inconsistent. My first ever run of the game, he didn't even attack. He was a neutral unit that didn't aggro to anyone. This time, which is of course the one I'm trying to share with others, he didn't say anything which made me question if he said anything at all before the part I got on screen. I'll probably go back and try to get some of the dialogue I missed, but god that's annoying that I'd have to in the first place.
e: oh god please don't give me problems this run, Settling Debts.
e2: fixed, thanks for the heads up. Incidentally, holy poo poo my eyes hurt now from trying to read that text off of a youtube video, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to fix the post and my 'work' computer is already off. Also, literally one person I found was playing a female shadowrunner, so I had to look harder to find the actual dialogue.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 18, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh hey Dragonfall is on sale on GamersGate (no relation) for 50% off. It's not the cheapest it's ever been but it's still a fair deal if you want to play along at home (or, more likely, play ahead).
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SRDDC/shadowrun-dragonfall-directors-cut
Steamworks only, so if you want a DRM free version you'll probably have to wait for a sale on GOG or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Steamworks does mean you'll have a very easy access to mods, though. Well, if they ever start showing up in any decent number and quality as opposed to endless remakes of the SNES game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Steamworks does mean you'll have a very easy access to mods, though. Well, if they ever start showing up in any decent number and quality as opposed to endless remakes of the SNES game.

Is this a good time to mention well-done mod-campaigns? There a gew out there, although as with all things user derived, quality varies wildly.

Shadowrun Unlimited is very technically impressive. It has repeatable runs, access to the Net (and repeatable net runs for profit), a number or story missions, a pretty big map with multiple hubs, doc-wagon shenanigans (play a docwagon commando after you die, fighting to reach your downed body), etc. It's got a number of bugs, but it's probably the best one put there if you want something closer to PnP mechanics.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

RickVoid posted:

Is this a good time to mention well-done mod-campaigns? There a gew out there, although as with all things user derived, quality varies wildly.

Shadowrun Unlimited is very technically impressive. It has repeatable runs, access to the Net (and repeatable net runs for profit), a number or story missions, a pretty big map with multiple hubs, doc-wagon shenanigans (play a docwagon commando after you die, fighting to reach your downed body), etc. It's got a number of bugs, but it's probably the best one put there if you want something closer to PnP mechanics.

I had been meaning to try that one actually, I was just concerned about how incomplete it might be in its current state. I'll definitely give it a look then!
Also, seriously go hog wild in the thread about anything Shadowrun. I don't have any real background with the PnP game so I'd love to hear about the subject, the pre-Returns games, and the setting as much as you'd like to talk about them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RickVoid posted:

I don't think it has a proper story - it's just a remake of the Genesis Shadowrun free-running missions.

You might think that Shadowrun Returns has the sort of engaging gameplay that justifies a story-free mission open-world structure... I don't.

Antumbra is pretty good. Well, Antumbra 1 is a 15 minute nothing, 2 is kinda lame, but 3 is really quite good (except for the ending).

Nightmare Harvest is well written, sharp, and has a few interesting twists.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I don't think it has a proper story - it's just a remake of the Genesis Shadowrun free-running missions.

You might think that Shadowrun Returns has the sort of engaging gameplay that justifies a story-free mission open-world structure... I don't.

Antumbra is pretty good. Well, Antumbra 1 is a 15 minute nothing, 2 is kinda lame, but 3 is really quite good (except for the ending).

Nightmare Harvest is well written, sharp, and has a few interesting twists.

Nightmare Harvest is amazing in general, and potentially has the best ending of anything ever.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Amazing game, solid start to an LP. I can't wait to see how all the optional conversations and world hub type stuff gets shown off. Or even which runners you'll use in the future! The tutorial of this game is a great tutorial, but is really limited compared to the rest of the game. A lot like the start of something like baldur's gate.

namad fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 20, 2015

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Soundtrack: Blood Hounds (Ambient) (NOTE: Loops from the video starting point on, there's no good loop that I can find)

Can't happen fast enough, love. The sooner we get in, the sooner I can get drunk.

So, this is the route we get to take to our humble home after the usual run. A dilapidated subway line and a bunch of garbage. A welcome sight after what we've seen tonight.

It's actually quite nice on the topside, at least by comparison.

poo poo, Paul doesn't know yet...

[His eyes sweep across the team as he takes it all in. The grim faces. The hard stares. Eiger's fury. Monika's absence.]

I had a feeling. How did she...
[His face has gone ashen. He swallows. Takes a moment to chew on the words before spitting them out.]
...How did it happen?
The run was a setup. One minute she was cracking the safe. The next, she was on the ground screaming.
I've seen Monika hit Black IC before. This... this was something worse.
[Glory nods, her motions robotic and spare.]
Monika died of a biofeedback-induced stroke.

Oh the gently caress she just-
[Shove her hand away.] Poke me again. I dare you.

Ach, this is asinine. Gretel von Sauerkraut did well in there, Eiger. You didn't see it, and I know you don't *believe* it, but she did. So do us all a favor and shut it down, okay?
Shut it down? gently caress that.
[Eiger turns around to face Dietrich. She towers over him, but he stands his ground.]
I respect you, Dietrich. You know that. But you don't have my training. None of you have. Monika was good. She was the best right? But she was also overconfident. She treated the job like it was a game. Do that long enough, and you're gonna get burned.
[Eiger turns her focus back to you.]
If you'd been paying attention, you'd have figured all of this out on your own by now. You'd've known that Monika needed watching as much as that door.

[Eiger pushes ahead, heedless of the interruption. Her voice remains measured, but there's fire in her eyes.]
How many seconds passed between Monika's first convulsion and her plug getting pulled? Four? Five? Do you know how much damage biofeedback can do to a decker's brain in five seconds?
How dare you--
You don't have to answer that. Of course you know. Monika died while you stood there and watched. This is all YOUR F--

We need to talk *action.* Our client sent you into something much bigger than he'd led us to believe. I want to know why.
Right there with you. This was supposed to be a milk run.
Payback isn't the only reason why we need to find him. We saw something back there... something that we weren't supposed to see. It's fair to assume we're all still in danger.
[Paul pauses. Rubs his temples.]
Agreed. And to neutralize that danger, we need to know who we are dealing with. Let us review the events that transpired tonight. The smallest detail could be important, so hold nothing back.
The estate was just a front for whatever was going on in the basement.
[Amsel nods.]
That much is clear.
It wasn't a minor enterprise, either. That facility took serious funds to build.
And time. There was more to it than we saw. Places like that don't spring up overnight.
And all in secret. The owners - whoever they may be - were not too pleased by your escape, I'm sure. What else did you find?
After everything went to hell, we were confronted by an ork in military-grade armor.
He appeared to be the head of security.
That is not... much to go on. Do any details about this ork come to mind? Any distinguishing features that I could look into?
He was an older guy, for one. From the sound of his voice, I'm guessing mid-to-late forties. Pretty old for an ork.
And he'd had skin grafts. Most of his face looked like replacement material. If the grafts came from a legitimate hospital, there may be medical records.
That is something. I will see what I can find out. Did you not anything else during the run that may be of value?
Monika lived long enough to say a name: "Feuerschwinge." She fought hard to tell us... it must be important.
[Amsel seems taken aback. He pauses for a moment before responding.]
The Firewing. This is... unexpected. You'll have to forgive me... this brings back many unpleasant memories.
[Glory raises an eyebrow.]
The Firewing?
Okay I'm not the most fluent ork I know in the German language but I can put two and two together, c'mon Glory.

The dragons of today are subtle creatures, full of patience and guile. Feuerschwinge was not. After her Awakening, she went on a four-month rampage that claimed tens of thousands of lives.
[Amsel takes a deep breath. Slowly releases it. There is a haunted look in his eyes.]
Those were dark days. Countless men, women and children were slaughtered, roasted alive in their homes by a creature of legend. No hope for salvation, and no end in sight. It was a horror that you cannot begin to understand.
What stopped her? I can't imagine that a rampaging dragon would just go away on its own.
Eventually, the Firewing was brought down by a man named Dr. Adrian Vauclair. Well - with the help of the Luftwaffe, of course. But it was experimental weapons designed by Dr. Vauclair that finally pierced her hide. She fell in a hail of bullets and rocket fire, and crashed down in the radioactive wasteland of the SOX.
Drumroll, please.
This even was called the Dragonfall.
*rimshot*
Safe at last from the dragon's wrath, Germany celebrated Vauclair as a hero... our own Siegfried, a modern-day dragonslayer. My own family practically worshipped the man.
If the Dragonfall was as important an event as you make it out to be, I'm surprised that I've never heard of it.
*muttering to self* How anything could get past someone your size is a feat in its own ri-
[Eiger just shoots loving daggers back in response.]

In light of such turmoil, is it any surprise that Dr. Vauclair and the Firewing were forgotten? Dragons were yesterday's news.
[He rubs his temples.]
Again, all of this happened decades ago. To the best of my knowledge, the story of Feuerschwinge is a bit of historical trivia, and nothing more.
That... feels a little too convenient honestly.
All right. So Monika spent her dying breath trying to tell us a bout a long-dead dragon.
[Eiger sweeps her eyes across the group, searching for a glimmer of insight. Finally, she gives up.]
Any ideas as to why?
[Amsel's voice trembles with frustration.]
No. It doesn't make any more sense to me than it does to you... the Dragonfall is ancient history. Feuerschwinge has been dead and gone for forty two years. But there's one thing that I do know. Whatever Monika saw... whatever she was trying to tell us... it was *important.*
[He visibly struggles to calm himself. Takes a deep breath, then slowly releases it.]
I will look into this, and I will find answers.
That's all we've got.
That's not much.
[Amsel nods. His face is drawn and haggard.]
It is thin, I agree. A basement, a middle-aged ork with skin grafts, and a long-forgotten world event.
Wait, we're still missing something. Who paid for this run?
[Amsel looks pained.]
I do not know his exact identity. I did not set up the run. Monika did.
[His face reddens.]
I... I warned her. I told her not to take the job. But she assured me that it would be a cake walk. Monika was approached recently by a man who calls himse "Green Winters." He used to be a prominent activist in the F-State political scene. I never much liked the man, and I certainly never trusted him.

And that was all it took.
We need to track down Monika's client and press him for information.
Yes, most definitely. It is clear that Green Winters has involved us in something much larger than he led Monika to believe.
When he finds out what happened on the run, he's probably gonna rabbit. We need to chase him down before that happens.
Any leads?

And you think he would know something about Green Winters?
[Amsel nods.]
When I discovered Monika's renewed association with Green Winters, I contacted Altuğ. One of his people has been keeping tabs on Winters ever since. As I said, I did not trust the man.
For good reason, it would seem. I'll talk to Altuğ and see what he knows about Green Winters.
Very well. Tell him I sent you. I will do what I can to dig into the information that you've uncovered already... sparse though it may be.

Oh hey, we... erm, I guess the closest comparisson I can make is 'leveled up.' Frankly, it's not the same since we'll get Karma, which are our skill points, throughout the game for accomplishing different feats, finishing jobs, and so forth. We're not going to use any of the points yet, as I have something in mind for them coming up.

Here are our stats though! They're a little underwhelming at the moment, and I figure spacing them out in a way that makes running an Adept palatable is gonna stop me from breaking 9 on any of them, but I found Karma in some surprising places this run, since previous characters I've run didn't invest much in Willpower.

Oh no. Oh gently caress, I wasn't ready for this.

[As you start towards the safehouse door, a large four-legged form steps around the corner. Dante. Monika's dog, an enormous mongrel of indeterminate breed. A low whimper emerges as he enters the room, head hanging low.]
Oh, poo poo. Dante.
[Dietrich shakes his head.]
Don't worry, boy. We'll look after you.

[He closes his eyes.]
That's when I realized something bad had happened.

Now, I know some of you have played this game before. You may know things that people coming into the thread may not know. And I will simply say this; Of all the decisions I will allow the thread to decide on, gently caress you, we're being nice to the dog. Some achievements are never worth it.

[Scratch Dante behind the ears.]
[Dante leans into you and looks up mournfully, pressing his ribs against your leg.]
I guess the dog is going with you, Gretel von Sauerkraut.

[He stares at the floor.]
And now, I think we should all take a moment.

The team disperses around the safehouse.

[Despite all of this, there is still an aura of power surrounding the man. He raises his bottle, offering it to you.]
Gretel von Sauerkraut, welcome. I've got a bottle of schnapps that needs sharing, and we've got a fallen comrade to drink to.
To Monika. Prost!
[The liquor in the bottle is crystal clear, and as you raise it you catch an intoxicating whiff of cloves and caramel. It tastes of sweet corn and walnuts, with a lingering aftertaste of buttery toffee. You swallow a swig, then return the bottle to Dietrich's outstretched hand. He takes a long pull on the bottle, then locks eyes with you.]
Lemme ask you a question, Gretel. What made you choose to come to Berlin?
Nothing in particular.
[Dietrich rolls his eyes at you.]
Oh, c'mon boss. You're gonna have to do better than that. Monika told me that you'd made a name for yourself in the Megaplex. Had your own team and everything. Leads a man to wonder why you packed up and moved here.
It was time for a change, that's all.
Oh, c'mon, boss. Nobody moves to Berlin without a good reason.
If you must know, I came back for Monika.

Author's note: You have a few options in this conversation with Dietrich that kind of let you set up who your character was before coming to Berlin. It doesn't really have an impact on the game, which I really appreciate. Too often in your Mass Effects and your inFamouses, your actions are measured and turns your persona's characterization into a minigame instead of actual characterization. In Dragonfall you just get to set up details about yourself in the way you like, and it doesn't actually matter to anyone but yourself in the long run. You can retroactively decide what your relationship with Monika was before the events of the game, be it strictly work related, friendship, or possibly deeper than that, and all it really does it gives you your own personal flavor to your playthrough without actually changing things like what ending you can or can't get. And I'm sure I've made a few redundant points, but I just want to drive them home really hard. I don't always get the exact option I'm looking for, but each new run felt like I could be the character I wanted to be.

Ah, yes. Monika.
[Dietrich raises his bottle again, then closes his eyes and takes a long drink. After a moment has passed, he returns his attention to you.]
It all comes back to our girl, doesn't it? So let me ask you: just what was your relationship with Monika, anyway? I know that you two knew each other way back, but she was pretty coy about these things.
We're treading into dangerously personal territory here.
Are we? Sorry about that. Never been much for boundaries. All the same, I'd like it if you'd tell me.
[He shrugs]
I always intended to get to know Monika better, but it's too late to ask her in person.
I knew Monika well enough to know what you mean. She did have a mysterious way about her.
So what was the deal between the two of you? Don't leave me in suspense.
We were friends.
Right there with you, and priveleged to say so. She was one of the best women I've ever known.
Amen to that, chummer.
Anyway, I've taken enough of your time, and the bottle's almost empty. Thanks for taking the time to talk. For what it's worth, I'm happy you're here with us.
The feeling's mutual, Dietrich.

If treat Dante well at the start, and then at any point onward, he'll follow you around the Kreuzbasar. It's a really cute touch and another reason why we're being NICE TO THE DOG. Seriously, executive decision here.

I guess we ought to check on the rest of the crew. Yeah, even her. She might be an rear end in a top hat but she's part of the team and we need to either set her in line or win her favor. I have my own ideas, but we'll see what it comes to.

[What's more unsettling is her chrome. Glory is rocking a heavy loadout of cyberware; from head to toe, she looks to be composed more of plastic and metal than she is of skin and bone. In the shadows, individuals such as this are anything but uncommon. But Glory's cyberware is first-generation, all of it. Bulky, invasive, practically museum pieces... this chrome was obsolete well before she was born.]
Gretel von Sauerkraut. Can I help you?
[She shifts her gaze to you, but her expression is as cool and placid as always.
Hey, Glory. How're you holding up?
Don't worry about me. I'm solid.
You sure? You look like you're a million miles away.
I'll be with you when it counts. Right now it doesn't.
Counts as much as ever. Hate to pry, but I have a question for you, Glory. Of the personal kind.
I'm not big on sharing, sport. Personal reasons. You understand, I'm sure.
Of course. We all have our secrets. But if you ever want to talk, I'm here.

Don't need to pressure the poor girl too much right now. We've all been through a hell of a lot today.
Speaking of...

Yeah. You can apologize for that little outburst that you had in front of Paul and the rest of the team.
[She replies through clenched teeth.]
You want to step away from me, Gretel von Sauerkraut. Right now.
No, actually. I don't. Unless you intend to *make* me leave?
It's tempting, Gretel von Sauerkraut. It's really loving tempting. But no... I won't hurt you. Not unless you give me reason to.
Yeah, truth be told I'm really not looking to go down that road right now. That said, we need to talk about Monika.
Not right now, we don't. Don't push me on this, Gretel von Sauerkraut. One of these days, we're gonna hash this out, and you can talk all you like about the clusterfuck that killed one of my best friends. But it won't be today.
Fair enough. But before I go, I have something to say.
Spit it out, then. Let's hear it.
As much as I'd like to bash your face in for all you've done, that's not gonna accomplish anything for us. But I'll tell you this; You're wrong about me. I intend to prove that to you.

Also our stash is over here. We don't really have anything here yet, but I do want to show off a nice touch anyway.

Dante has an inventory! He can't carry anything except Trauma Kits, which doesn't really matter because he doesn't fight anyone when he's following you around, but it's cute.

Well, I guess we better pay this café a visit.

Next time; Exploration, conversation, maybe even plot progression?

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite little touch is that they, in addition to giving him an inventory, fully statted the dog. He has a whopping 10 HP, the lowest you can get, but some other stats are non-zero. I think 2 or 3 in close combat. Generally exactly what you would expect from a dog.

I wasn't sold on the game at first. I was used to the combat in Shadowrun Returns, and the one here is very different. It is much better, but it takes some getting used to. Then this whole return to Kreuzbasar sequence happened. I was sold.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Steak Eater posted:

You don't have to answer that. Of course you know. Monika died while you stood there and watched. This is all YOUR F--

Wrong screenshot.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Xander77 posted:

Wrong screenshot.

Something hosed up with the whole update so I have to go through and replace a lot of poo poo. Hoo boy.
e: so not as much as I thought but I did forget the music cues.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 20, 2015

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
My word, my word...While I understand about WE'RE BEING NICE TO THE DOG (I've never played the game before, but c'mon! It's a dog in a video game!) I'm surprised that you're just breezing through the characterization without letting the peanut gallery vote. Will there be interactive parts to this LP, or is it purely narrative?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Valgaav posted:

My word, my word...While I understand about WE'RE BEING NICE TO THE DOG (I've never played the game before, but c'mon! It's a dog in a video game!) I'm surprised that you're just breezing through the characterization without letting the peanut gallery vote. Will there be interactive parts to this LP, or is it purely narrative?

Major decisions will come down to community vote, but things that don't majorly impact the story are going to be easier for me to use my better judgment on. I went overboard with all the stat spread stuff earlier and it made me realize that making everything come down to a vote is really time consuming and not exactly fun to participate in.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Good man (er, Orc) about the Dog.

Never got that Achievement, and never will.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Same. The interaction choices with the companions here are mostly binary anyway. 'Would you like to learn more about them and give them/you some stat boosts or tell them to shove off?'

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Yeah these conversations literally do not matter at all, they're narrative exposition. Later on, and not that much later on there will be a lot of 'real' choices. I assume those are the ones we'll vote on.

This game makes it almost impossible to tell real choices apart from exposition, but the OP probably knows well enough to setup some key votes.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Same. The interaction choices with the companions here are mostly binary anyway. 'Would you like to learn more about them and give them/you some stat boosts or tell them to shove off?'

Would you like more gameplay Y/N?

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

namad posted:

Yeah these conversations literally do not matter at all, they're narrative exposition. Later on, and not that much later on there will be a lot of 'real' choices. I assume those are the ones we'll vote on.

This game makes it almost impossible to tell real choices apart from exposition, but the OP probably knows well enough to setup some key votes.

Most of them, yeah. Truth be told I've never actually completed a certain set of side missions because during a certain 'audition' a terrible fucker needed to have his face punched in really badly, but I mean if we end up going down that road, there are always save slots!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Steak Eater posted:

a terrible fucker needed to have his face punched in really badly

I love this game so much.

This is all I will say on this topic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was going to go on a rant about at least showing us what happened in cyberspace, but I suppose it'd be spoilers.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Glazius posted:

I was going to go on a rant about at least showing us what happened in cyberspace, but I suppose it'd be spoilers.

Yeah as far as the story's concerned, we don't know what happened yet. And we can't use the computer until we talk to Altug.

Incidentally, I decided to pick up Returns because it was in that Humble Bundle.
Long story short, new update coming soon. :\

It's not a bad game but there's a soft lock every time I try to do a certain main-quest-necessary thing, so I can't actually continue right now.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Steak Eater posted:

Incidentally, I decided to pick up Returns because it was in that Humble Bundle.
Long story short, new update coming soon. :\

It's not a bad game but there's a soft lock every time I try to do a certain main-quest-necessary thing, so I can't actually continue right now.

Do you mind me asking where the lock is occurring? In spoilers, of course.

Still haven't picked up Dragonfall yet, but SRR apparently doesn't compare all too favorably, plot and gameplay-wise. Still, I got it for $1.50 in a Steam sale, so I can't complain all that much about it!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GhostStalker posted:

Still haven't picked up Dragonfall yet, but SRR apparently doesn't compare all too favorably, plot and gameplay-wise. Still, I got it for $1.50 in a Steam sale, so I can't complain all that much about it!

Returns has a very "arcade" feel to it, doubly so in the last few bits. I liked the plot and the gameplay, but they are just very different.

I get softlocks and crashes on it too.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

No Gravitas posted:

Returns has a very "arcade" feel to it, doubly so in the last few bits. I liked the plot and the gameplay, but they are just very different.

I get softlocks and crashes on it too.

Yeah, the plot wasn't bad, but apparently it's not at all comparable to that of Dragonfall.

Also, I never had any crash or lock problems when playing, so maybe you guys are just unlucky?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's an achievement for being nasty to Dante? I never knew that.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

GhostStalker posted:

I can pin it down to a gameplay moment without spoiling hardly anything! It's the first time you're brought in to visit the Matrix if you aren't a decker. It brings up the loadout screen for the matrix... about halfway. It says MyNameIs Troll8800 or some nonsense next to where the profile should be. But also I'm running it on the Dragonfall DX engine which is probably why it's stuck.

Also, status update: Screens for what will probably constitute the next 2 updates have been taken, I just have to write them.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 24, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Steak Eater posted:

I can pin it down to a gameplay moment without spoiling hardly anything! It's the first time you're brought in to visit the Matrix if you aren't a decker. It brings up the loadout screen for the matrix... about halfway. It says MyNameIs Troll8800 or some nonsense next to where the profile should be. But also I'm running it on the Dragonfall DX engine which is probably why it's stuck.

Also, status update: Screens for what will probably constitute the next 2 updates have been taken, I just have to write them.

Yeah, Returns doesn't really work in the new engine. You'd be better served running it in the original engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Steak Eater posted:

RickVoid posted:

Yeah, Returns doesn't really work in the new engine. You'd be better served running it in the original engine.

That's not long after you rescue Coyote from the BtL den, right? When you go in alongside Johnny Clean?

Yeah, that's probably it. Run DMS in the original SRR launcher and it should work out. Pretty sure you should be able to keep your save as well.

• Locked thread