Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I haven't seen Andrei Rublev, though I've heard it's a masterpiece, but I have seen The Mirror and it's absolutely phenomenal.

The opening scene of Andrei Rublev is one of the greatest short films ever. The rest of it depends on how you respond to theological debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Do I bring up Attenborough's acting career or keep my mouth shut?

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Only one other motherfucker has mentioned Stroszek so far.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

For my final documentary piece I was given a very arty professor type. The kind who thought koyaanisqatsi wasn't pure art enough and philip glass was too mainstream, and made one of the required viewings a two hour-long documentary called "R.R.", which was just still shots of trains going by.

I made my final piece shots of a nearby caravan park, playing in slow-motion but with shots chosen so that you can't really tell, with a soundtrack that gets progressively angrier until it's ripping off Nine Inch Nails. I passed pretty good but it didn't bring me any closer to my dream of being a good film man. I just want to films good.

Can anyone help me, films?

I feel ya man. At my school you could go two routes:
-Take the Practicum course, where the school gives you $5K and studio time, but you're handed a 10-page script written by a clown car of Screenwriting 2 students, all of your production and post crew is assigned to you (and they act at the creative whims of their instructors) and the head of the Practicum dept can gently caress with your poo poo because "real world problems can happen at any time"
-Hack it on your own, have complete creative control, only your editor is assigned to you, but no guaranteed screenings by the school.

I took the latter route. In my overeagerness to graduate I booked myself a semester where I would be producing my thesis film on my lonesome and a double-credit Comedy Directing class where I'd be producing four other shorts. That's not as bad as it sounds, the 4 shorts were spaced over 3 months, only 30 seconds-4 minutes long, and I was given studio time for them. But the final short for that class was its own small beast. So Big Thesis is the hacking it on your own route to make a 10-minute short, Little Thesis is the 3-5 minute Comedy Directing final. Day comes to shoot Little Thesis, and I am kicked out of my own allotted studio time.
Why?
-Practicum needs to build their set for tomorrow.
They're only using half the space.
-They need to be able to talk amongst each other.
Can I use the smaller studio for lighting students?
-No, a lighting student might want to use it.

This fucks over me and the other guy scheduled to shoot that day. We complain to Tom, who is in charge of studio time and second-in-command on Practicum. He grants us a makeup time: the night before Thanksgiving. Between the two drectors we have a crew of 5 people. The other guy hacks his script down to its bones and pulls something off. I couldn't get my actresses in, so my script is kaput. Instead I scrobble together a parody of this really terrible Practicum film called 'Waiting for the Coroner' that the school proudly used as a poster boy for some ill-conceived reason. I basically just had two of the crewmembers overact the awful dialogue, threw in some dramatic zooms of the film's infamous ticking clock, etc. An easy backup plan, but of course I'm kicked out the second the building officially closes and have like, a minute's worth of footage.

So I complain again to Tom. My teacher complains to Tom. The teacher overseeing my Big Thesis has a chat with Tom. Tom tells me he'll grant me some more studio time, but ONLY because he saw a rough cut of my Big Thesis and really liked it. A few days later I get a call at work telling me my new scheduled studio time. It's in 6 loving hours. Crew is at least guaranteed and my camera guy, Miles, is gonna be in that evening. I frantically call my actresses: unavailable. The original script's kaput again. So I'm sitting on this dumb minute long parody film called "Waiting for the Mortician-er' and I'm gonna have 3 hours to turn it into something, anything, funny. So I make it into this thing where said film's production gets sabotaged by a bunch of red tape bullshit.

I basically turned in this big ol' gently caress You to the school. The teacher gave me an A.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Nothing tops when Madoka Magicka implied that Anne Frank escaped the camps by signing a contract with an alien cat and turning herself into a magical anime girl, unknowingly dooming herself regardless.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

The story here is, my next short ended up being a mockumentary about the best student film ever made, centering on making fun of how every film student at our Uni had been taught the words 'Chiaroscuro' in first year and was using it to describe everything with even-slightly contrasting colours. [link] It was about everyone killing themselves over how great this movie was, and the only way people knew how to describe it was 'it was very Chiaroscuro'.

That video is awesome.

I uploaded mine, in case you wanna see it.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Why can't you get both? This is bullshit

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Seriously, gently caress WWE, everybody should be watching Lucha Underground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvizxc3UB0

"Let me tell you man, being involved with vampire cults all my life..."

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Anyone got the link to that Chinese website that played clips from those overproduced Scientology videos of people talking about their bridges 'n' shir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Maarak posted:

Hannibal would be way better as just a collection of cooking sequences and the loudest most expensive suits known to man. All production design and cinematography, no plot.

Hannibal Lecter, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

• Locked thread