Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I have a hard time figuring out why would anybody want any standalone portable MP3 player a instead of a used iPhone 4S (one of the best portable audio output ever made and iOS has a gazillion times better UI and app support) or cheap Android when the prices are already so low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because they don't want to carry around two phone-sized devices?

I use one because I don't want to use up the battery on my phone. But lately I've just been streaming the music I've uploaded to Google Play instead, since it actually seems to be very gentle on battery usage. And because I get 20GB data/month, yo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KozmoNaut posted:

Because they don't want to carry around two phone-sized devices?

which would be a fine excuse if we were talking about something that is literally as big as a phone. Personally I don't see why people just don't get a frigging iPod Nano if you want a standalone. Good quality, super small and light, etc. Granted, it doesn't have an SD card slot, but I guess some people feel the need to carry around their entire music collections on a trip, or whatever.

The singular downside is iTunes, but given how easy it is to just create and sync playlists, and how rarely you need to use it, I don't think it's too much of a hassle.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 5, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mediaphage posted:

The singular downside is iTunes

This is it for me. itunes is loving awful.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mediaphage posted:

which would be a fine excuse if we were talking about something that is literally as big as a phone. Personally I don't see why people just don't get a frigging iPod Nano if you want a standalone. Good quality, super small and light, etc. Granted, it doesn't have an SD card slot, but I guess some people feel the need to carry around their entire music collections on a trip, or whatever.

The singular downside is iTunes, but given how easy it is to just create and sync playlists, and how rarely you need to use it, I don't think it's too much of a hassle.

iTunes is the worst. ZuneHD is G.O.A.T.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're traveling and worried about battery, you should just keep a portable charger in your carry on or something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

If you're traveling and worried about battery, you should just keep a portable charger in your carry on or something.

I have a phone, which must store lots of things on it already, I have no room for also 30 gb of music. If I'm gonna use my phone for music, I will use my XM app. I just want a nice small device that will hold all of the songs I want to listen to (a couple thousand) and let me make playlists or just shuffle the entire thing.

Having it for work will be nice too. I looked into getting a phone that has a good DAC but the best rated phones from 2014-2015 still cost more than these Fiio devices.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, that's fair. The Fiio players are probably exactly what you're looking for. You should probably still have a good charger on you for traveling. Also, SD cards are cheap.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

88h88 posted:

This is it for me. itunes is loving awful.

Lol it's annoying but if you just need to transfer music it's not that bad. Nerds like to act like iTunes kills their puppies or some poo poo. Primadonnas.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mediaphage posted:

Lol it's annoying but if you just need to transfer music it's not that bad. Nerds like to act like iTunes kills their puppies or some poo poo. Primadonnas.

It's far more annoying than anything else, I can just drag and drop poo poo without having to open up a specific programme to do so. It wants to delete poo poo off your ipod when you plug it into a friend's computer, tying you down to one specific computer which is balls.

No puppies have died but it's inconvenient when I just want to throw a few songs on a player.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
itunes is so garbage I used a third party loader for my 30 gb ipod video 14 years ago. Easy drag n drop and not having the device auto encrypt all my files into unreadable garbage is a must.

Itunes is pretty poo poo as a player, library, and transfer tool. Its 'ok' as a store. If you're bad at the 3 most important things then no thx.

I ended up going with the Fiio X1 btw thread

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

what options are there for loading an iPod classic without using iTunes? My WinAmp is becoming very flakey at detecting the thing (player might be dying?)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Give MediaMonkey a try.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mediaphage posted:

An ipod nano is over 100 bucks new. And is like 16 gigs.

At it's prime, you could get a sandisk clip zip for around 30 dollars and a 32 gig sd card for 20 bucks.

And you just have to drag and drop.

Sadly now, the newest sandisk players are shittier than their older counterparts.

The better question is, even the newer sandisk clip players are better than an ipod nano for most people, so why would anyone buy an ipod nano?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

KillHour posted:

Yes, this is good advice in general. Buy portable charger just to keep in your bag, those things are lifesavers. I keep a big backup battery in my work bag and a cheap one I bought at Walgreens that I don't care about losing/leaving somewhere by my door for when my phone battery is almost dead but I have to be somewhere.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

iTunes is the worst. ZuneHD is G.O.A.T.

My Zune HD was dope except for the bug where if I deleted something from the device directly, rather than through the desktop app, it wouldn't mark the space as freed so eventually I could have a Zune that appeared "full" but had nothing on it. I stuck it out for like nine months and they never fixed it so I said "gently caress it" and went back to the iPod touch.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I lost my MP3 player recently (fell out of my pocket when I was distracted :rip:) and I'm looking to get a new one, but the only one I can find at local stores for <$100 is some brand I've never heard of and has aggergate of two stars on amazon.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much on it, and mostly just care about reliability (a clip would be good, though).

There was a few SanDisk MP3 players with clips on Amazon but the ones in the ~$50 range were sort of mixed on reviews, and I've never used a SanDisk product before.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jerkface posted:

I ended up going with the Fiio X1 btw thread

How's it been working out?

Anatharon posted:

I lost my MP3 player recently (fell out of my pocket when I was distracted :rip:) and I'm looking to get a new one, but the only one I can find at local stores for <$100 is some brand I've never heard of and has aggergate of two stars on amazon.

So, any suggestions? I don't want to spend too much on it, and mostly just care about reliability (a clip would be good, though).

There was a few SanDisk MP3 players with clips on Amazon but the ones in the ~$50 range were sort of mixed on reviews, and I've never used a SanDisk product before.

Depends on how much storage you need. Could go with the thread recommendation of picking up one of those cheap android phones and using that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KingShiro posted:

Depends on how much storage you need. Could go with the thread recommendation of picking up one of those cheap android phones and using that.

How cheap is cheap? I don't want to spend more than $100 because I mostly use it when jogging or working out, so there's a chance of it getting damaged.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
$42 and has microSD slot

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I just got one of those for my Dad to use as an MP3 player - is there something I can do to the phone to make that as easy as possible for him? Some music-oriented skin or something, not sure what the Android terms are.

vvv Thanks, I'll check those out

Mozi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 13, 2016

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Mozi posted:

I just got one of those for my Dad to use as an MP3 player - is there something I can do to the phone to make that as easy as possible for him? Some music-oriented skin or something, not sure what the Android terms are.

Maybe use nova launcher or something, set it to have just one home screen, then make the home screen a large poweramp widget? That might work.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Thanks, that worked out great. Got it all locked down and super easy. Pretty nice for the price.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need an mp3 player that can play FLAC files. Looking for something I can fill with music and leave at work so I can listen to music all day without worrying about running out of songs every few days.

I had a look on eBay and it seems like the xduoo fits the bill. There's the X2 which has a 32GB capacity and the X3 which has a 256GB capacity (2x 128GB micro sd cards). Does anyone have any experience with either of these or can suggest any alternatives? I'm happy to spend around $100 and am in Australia so I probably can't buy stuff off Amazon :(

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What's the best way to deal with controls with a cell phone mp3 player? Just get a case with a clip? Headphone controls?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

TLG James posted:

Headphone controls?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I went and bought one of those worlds smallest smart phones.

Works pretty good for music!

It's only maybe 1.5x the size of a sansa clip.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TLG James posted:

I went and bought one of those worlds smallest smart phones.

Works pretty good for music!

It's only maybe 1.5x the size of a sansa clip.

Got a link?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://smile.amazon.com/MICRO-Smal...lest+cell+phone

Sorry I never really saw this thread again. I do have to say, after using it for 6 months I have pretty mixed reviews.

I added a clip to it, which worked well. Except when I got super sweaty in the summer, it would literally short out the thing and start to die.

I'm now rocking one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hidizs-AP60-Bluetooth-Lossless-Portable/dp/B01M0D5LBP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478041386&sr=8-3&keywords=ap60

The good seems to be that they're actively developing it and actually seeming to take people's suggestions to heart. I got it when it first came out and I wasn't really impressed. The buttons aren't really buttons but more like a virtual button. The menu was super confusing. Now at least the equalizer works well, and the volume buttons work as next/previous track when the screen is off, so it's pretty much great for pocket use.

It's the closest thing out there as a spiritual successor to the clip zip as far as I can tell. It's probably twice as heavy though, and no clip.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
My Zune just died :( so I'm thinking of getting a Fiio X1 or X3. Anyone had any experience with those?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Zeos did a pretty long video on these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swey6TvNuK4

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yep I'm the guy still using one. :dadjoke:

I've had an ipod classic 80g buried in my various car armrest since 2008 when I bought it.....now it's had a few years in my current car (2013 BMW 535) and its worked great and only needs to be rebooted a few times per year. I figure it's gonna die for good any day now so I thought about a replacement.

Since I was too cheap for the full BMW NAV package I don't get any built-in streaming apps unless I want to control them all from my phone (Nexus 6p), which is very much less than ideal. I do use streaming on my phone when walking/traveling all the time but in my car I just want a easy to manage, available anywhere, music storage device for road trips and cruising around.

I also use my bigphone (Nexus 6p) for Navigation and quickly found trying to use it as Nav and an "ipod" (using Poweramp ) at the same time really sucked, so i originally thought I'd go for a Fiio X5 and 128g sd card but just never got around to it. Well, for basically the same price I just picked up a refurb iPod touch 128g and it's been great so far and the wifi syncing is very handy.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

KingShiro posted:

Zeos did a pretty long video on these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swey6TvNuK4

I've been thinking about getting a new DAP to replace my Cowon J3 that fell out of my pocket years ago.

The main reason to have a DAP is to save your phone's battery for all the other stuff it does.

That there's stuff that sounds better and stores more than Cowon now makes the decision a lot harder.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Considering my iPod Classic holds about 120GB more over my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and using a touch screen while driving is dangerous, yeah I still use a standalone MP3 player. I will be very sad when it finally dies.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just got, in the mail, my Fiio X5 Mark 2 which I think someone mentioned in this thread. It looks pretty cool, and the startup screen says Born for music and happy, which is the kind of broken English I can get behind.

Now to wait the 50 hours or so it takes to transfer all of the songs from my aging iPod classic to my new device.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm seeing iPod classics on Ebay that have been formatted with 256 SSD, and new a battery. After trying to take my old classic and put in an SD card to get it to work (I followed the ifixit guide) just getting a sad face icon, I may go this route. This is going to be an always in my car except sometimes in the park while I'm writing device.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently Mark 3's coming out soon, I wasn't feeling patient tho.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently Mark 3's coming out soon, I wasn't feeling patient tho.

What's that?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LionArcher posted:

What's that?

X5 3rd Gen. I got 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is there a default recommendation in TYOOL 2017 for an MP3 player to replace the hole left in my life after I lost my iPod Classic 5th gen in an aiport when I moved to Europe a few years ago? I don't have/want to have a mobile data plan large enough to support constant streaming (since I don't own a private mobile phone and my company phone only has a data plan of 1GB a month).

What's the general feeling about those Fiio things that basically look like a Chinese 6th gen iPod, but with storage on microSD? I'm always kinda terrified of going with a solution that relies on a microSD because of how delicate those things can be / prone to corruption.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 16, 2017