Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone have any good ideas for a drag and drop music player (I'm done with Apple Music software) but also runs pocketcasts?
Cheap Android smartphone that you just don't put a SIM in?
It's not exactly drag and drop (Android devices haven't done USB-MSC for 5+ years, but they do MTP which I think works more or less out of the box with the possible exception of MacOS)
You might also be able to find an Android-based MP3 player, but those seem to be targeted to audiophiles with more dollars than sense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

binaryhermit posted:

Cheap Android smartphone that you just don't put a SIM in?
It's not exactly drag and drop (Android devices haven't done USB-MSC for 5+ years, but they do MTP which I think works more or less out of the box with the possible exception of MacOS)
You might also be able to find an Android-based MP3 player, but those seem to be targeted to audiophiles with more dollars than sense...

This. I've gotten in the habit of demoting my old phone to my music phone whenever I upgrade. Get a decent micro usb card for all your mp3, for podcasts you are guaranteed to not use up a data plan since the only possibility is WiFi. I still miss my iPod classic clickwheel. What an elegant machine. But my old android phone can do bluetooth, videos, and youtube and it's never interrupted with a text or call.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Arson Daily posted:

Anyone have any good ideas for a drag and drop music player (I'm done with Apple Music software) but also runs pocketcasts?
About 5 years ago I broke my Sony E-series (400-something) Walkman player, and I still miss it. Yes, proprietary connector and no SD card slot (16 GB internal at the time, newer ones are probably bigger) but it did really well with podcasts. All I want in a player that's playing a 'cast (people sitting around talking about stuff, generally, or audiofiction) are two things: a hold switch so I don't accidentally skip/pause/change volume while the player is in my pocket and a robust and automatic pause / bookmark function that comes back to where I left off after I take my headphones off to talk to whatever yahoo is trying to get my attention.

The way I added files was to simply attach the player to my laptop via the USB cable and then copy the files through Windows Explorer. Sony has (of course) their own software for your computer but I found it needlessly complicated and focused on features I don't use - I don't often make playlists, I just hit "shuffle all" if I'm listening to music, or I'll choose a specific artist or album to listen to.

The lack of a hold switch and my dissatisfaction with every podcast player app for my phone (Android) I've met means I don't listen to many podcasts these days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The cheap Sandisk player should do that. I have the most recently discontinued Sport model and it has both a key lock feature and it tracks audiobook/podcast progress.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Probably a better idea than what my plan for when my ipod classic finally fails, which was to buy the cheapest one on ebay.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are there really no 100+ gb mp3 players i can get into other than having to shell out like a hundred bucks bidding on an ipod classic ?

My car has an aux only and my phone doesn't have the space...
I should just get some cheaper generic 64gb mp3 player i guess...i could get two of em and just switch em out for way cheaper than an ipod classic...
i wish i could just get a hard drive that could connect up and play music.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 19, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
$40 Fire 7 tablet with a MicroSD card?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Are there really no 100+ gb mp3 players i can get into other than having to shell out like a hundred bucks bidding on an ipod classic ?

I should just get some cheaper generic 64gb mp3 player i guess...i could get two of em and just switch em out for way cheaper than an ipod classic...
Does your phone not have the capacity to take a microSD card?

Or, you could swap your car's head unit (the "stereo") for something made by one of the big players (Sony, JVC, Alpine, etc. etc.) for like $120 and an hour of your time. Then you'd have USB, SD card, Bluetooth, AUX-in, whatever. It's seriously very easy to swap over a head unit. Crutchfield is the go-to site for equipment and instructions.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have (and like) the Fiio M6 which has as much storage space as you can fit on a Micro SD card.

Might be more than you wanna spend tho I dunno.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Away from the holidays you can get sometimes get classics in the $70-80 range with 100gb if you don't mind a scratched up back.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Personally I’m an idiot for rockbox, so i stick to stuff that’s compatible with it. But I quite like my Fiio M3k, which is cheap, pretty decent and takes microsds.

P.S. not related, but I’ve been using a 1st gen iPod shuffle these days, and drat what a good design. I love the buttons on it so you can press them easily while in your pocket, I love the built in USB port, and I use rebuild_db so I don’t have to mess with iTunes.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I ultimately just went with the no-brainer "get a micro sd card for your phone", picked up a 400 gb one and boom.
Not sure why I didn't think of that. :okpos:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
For my music project gift for my nephew (see my thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961082) I plan to give him a stand alone MP3 player on his 10th birthday (a year from now). I looked at the Sandisk line-up, but nothing on offer had every feature I wanted: water-resistant, accepts micro-SD, bluetooth, reasonable controls. All of the Sandisk players seem to have reasonable controls, but the other features are a mixed bag. Plus, the one that came closest, the simple "Sport" (not the Sport Plus, or Sport Go, or Sport Clip Jam) isn't available in Australia.

So I bought the AGPTEK clone, the A50(S). Which isn't waterproof, so I'll have to keep looking before I settle on what I'll get for my nephew. And it only comes in black, which is boring and very easy to loose.

This thing is tiny. It basically weighs nothing, and overall it's just big enough for the big clip on the bag to attach it to your clothes (or the included armband, which is hilariously small - I can juuuust get it around my wrist). Getting the micro-SD card into it was a pain, like other push-until-click card sockets I've met, I had to push it well past level with the outside of the case using my thumbnail. My first try featured the internal spring launching the card across the room, it took me about 5 minutes to find it - of course, it's black, too. Just invisible on the silly multi-pattern carpet.

But it seems to work OK and I'm hoping I'll learn enough about it to be able to gift it to my nephew and not have him get too frustrated with it. Some of the other offerings from AGPTEK (I don't know how to pronounce this) have a single-button volume control, which I always find fiddly and annoying. I'm generally impatient, but I can struggle through something like that most of the time. A 10-year-old boy? Yeah, not so much. The search continues.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I lost my Cowon J3 after about 15 years of enjoyment with it. I'm looking for a replacement now but I'm a bit out of the loop - there are lot of new manufacturers and models, with things like balanced headphone ports, which I have no idea if they are worth it (with a suitable pair of phones) or not.

I don't mind spending money for quality, though obviously without overpaying for audiophile snake oil features. Would pair with HiFiMan IEMs and play mostly FLAC files, though I may get some new phones in the near future too; would consider balanced if that whole thing is worth it and I had the player to match.

What would be some good choices for me please, guys?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
So it seems that SanDisk is the choice here but I have a bizarrely specific recommendation request:

I work in a production jewelry facility that is "metal and signal free" but I'm allowed to bring in corded headphones and a player that DOES NOT have Bluetooth or WiFi.

What's my best option for something with a robust (Android compatible) interface that lets me access playlists and manage podcasts without even the capability to communicate besides AM/FM radio (which is allowed). I have computer access but I'd like to update as little as possible so a bunch of storage is ideal.

Googling "cheap mp3 player no Bluetooth" ain't doing it for me. Please help!

E: i should also add "expensive mp3 player" would be fine too I just essentially want a giant external hard drive with a good user interface and headphone jack.

E2: As tribute here's a picture of the only mp3 player I ever had (and loved):

The 256mb (!!) Rio Cali lol

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 20, 2022

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
This Sandisk for $30 shipped? Only has FM radio

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for. If you want something with a 'robust' interface and the ability to manage podcasts, you're stuck with 'smart' devices which now will most definitely have wifi at the very least.

You're going to be stuck with something like what gariig posted. Looking at the link, it doesn't support playlists or anything. You literally just drag/drop the audiofiles on to the device or on the SD card.

You might need to look for older devices. For example, the iPod Nano 6th gen does not have BT or wifi. I'm not sure if they're still supported by iTunes but if they are you could use that to manage the music and podcasts.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah the SanDisk Clip seems like the right choice. Time to also get another microSD card. Cheers and thanks for the recommendations!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I have an ipod nano 5th edition that is still supported in itunes so 6th is probably fine.

But unless you really like the pre-touch interface (I do) I wouldn't bother with it and would probably go with the san disk.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Sorry I neglected to mention that I'd rather be strung up by thumbs than touch the Apple ecosystem at all. Long story of purely personal preference, and I appreciate it all the same. :cheers:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've liked the Fiios I've gotten. Fiio M17 seems like it might not have bluetooth.

EDIT: oh wait that one looks like it might also be obscenely expensive.

EDIT: and I'm wrong and that one has bluetooth

EDIT: ok Fiio M3 seems like it might fit the bill, and also not be horribly expensive

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 21, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Pretty sure Fiio doesn't make a BT-less model now. M3 seems discontinued

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perhaps. They're selling refurbished versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...560077154%21sea

That's a horrible url but you get the idea. Aliexpress seems to be their shopfront of choice.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah the SanDisk Clip seems like the right choice. Time to also get another microSD card. Cheers and thanks for the recommendations!

I bought a pair of SanDisk Clip Sport Plus, they fit the bill. Actually finding them for sale was a bit of a quest, but it worked out in the end. $100 each, and they seem to fit your requirements, too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is there a recommendation for cheap-ish DAPs around right now? Supply chain stuff seems to have thrashed availability for the cheaper Fiio players and stuff like that, and I finally broke my Rockboxed Xuoo X3 and am looking for something on the cheap side that doesn't have an awful interface (it doesn't have to be great but I'd prefer it not be actively working against me) and can do gapless on MP3 (this seems to be the sticking point on a lot of cheap players which can do gapless fine on lossless formats but not on MP3). Head Fi seems to mostly have posts about $1000 Astell and Kern players which are of no use to me as my entire portable library is lossy anyway.

Alternately, anything cheap and readily available that can be Rockboxed would work for me, since I know Rockbox can do gapless on MP3s.

Hot Toasty Bread
Mar 3, 2022

Makes you live so long you wish you were dead
I have a small collection of these guys and am currently favoring my Walkman E350. It doesn't turn into a slab of burning metal in my pocket over long periods of use, it's small, it has clicky buttons, it's drag and drop, and no one can use it to talk to me. I can even put a lil wallpaper on it. Simple pleasures.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Aw, now I'm really missing my Sony E350 that I stupidly broke by being stupid. It was excellent.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

hadn't used my NWZ-E346F i picked up at the start of the pandemic in a few months and pulled it out of its drawer to see it had begun to visibly bulge and the buttons were hosed, so i took it to recyling

i have no idea what the market is now, used or new

if anyone has any recs for anything under $120, bluetooth preferred, i'm welcome to it

i have a spare galaxy s8 ultra that's like, yeah i could use it as a music player, but it's so big!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
still use my old 2nd gen nano to this day, every day at work. the battery life has noticeably decreased, but it still lasts a full shift, then I charge it during lunch so it makes it through the second shift.

it's pretty dinged up and dingy these days, but still works just fine. I keep telling my coworkers they should just find a 2nd gen nano on amazon or ebay and use that rather than risk super expensive smartphones for their music needs, since a 2nd gen nano can easily be had for 20 bucks or less. and as mine can attest, stick it in an arm holster and it'll survive for literally almost a decade and a half of constant use despite getting smacked and banged and mashed against stuff constantly

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I keep hoping I'll stumble across a pristine iPod Video or Classic somewhere. I've been able to make do with chi fi MP3 players for several years but the iPod was unassailable UI-wise as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind using my phone (which is what everyone invariably yells at me to do) either, but I one-purpose devices.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My mom gave me several old iPods.

If anyone wants one (or more) I can send them to you. Just cover shipping. PM me if you're interested.

They all work but the batteries are all shot to hell.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Arson Daily posted:

RIP

I feel like you must have limitless options.

Also....this was my first MP3 player.

Only 32MB.....but could store about a cd's worth of poor quality music that I could change out easily and quickly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

still use my old 2nd gen nano to this day, every day at work. the battery life has noticeably decreased, but it still lasts a full shift, then I charge it during lunch so it makes it through the second shift.

it's pretty dinged up and dingy these days, but still works just fine. I keep telling my coworkers they should just find a 2nd gen nano on amazon or ebay and use that rather than risk super expensive smartphones for their music needs, since a 2nd gen nano can easily be had for 20 bucks or less. and as mine can attest, stick it in an arm holster and it'll survive for literally almost a decade and a half of constant use despite getting smacked and banged and mashed against stuff constantly

I jinxed it and my Gen 2 nano broke last night. If I hold it up to my ear, it makes a clicking noise every 3 seconds or so, not sure what that is but I can't turn it on anymore.

I'll ask here and the iPhone thread I guess, what's the best way to get a battery replaced in a Gen 2/Gen 4 nano? I've got a Gen 4 I bought years ago for a pittance as a backup for when the gen 2 broke, but never wound up using it and the battery is super dead at this point. I've currently got it attached to an anker battery strapped to my arm just to be able to use it. Looking things up it seems replacing the battery is insanely difficult and for experienced soderers/tinkerers. I'm guessing Apple services wouldn't replace batteries in old ipods and I'd have to go with some mall kiosk or something?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The only iPod products they’d repair now would be newer iPod Touch.

For 3rd party, I imagine the issue would be getting a battery for the older models. I doubt anyone makes them anymore and if they do…you’re rolling the dice on a poorly manufactured one that could catch fire and burn your leg off when it’s in your pocket.

If it’s making a clicking noise there’s probably something broken aside from the battery.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just installed rockbox on a Sansa I found in a box in my office so I can listen to live shows I recorded in Seattle between 2006 and 2008 in FLAC so I'm p glad these things are still around.

Jose Oquendo posted:

My mom gave me several old iPods.

If anyone wants one (or more) I can send them to you. Just cover shipping. PM me if you're interested.

They all work but the batteries are all shot to hell.

Pm sent.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have a couple of old iPods. What's the best way to dump the music out from them? Google used to be useful for this, but even with all the adblockers on, the first pages of suggestions are just links to what seems like apps filled with turboviruses.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

evobatman posted:

I have a couple of old iPods. What's the best way to dump the music out from them? Google used to be useful for this, but even with all the adblockers on, the first pages of suggestions are just links to what seems like apps filled with turboviruses.

It's been a long time but I think if you show hidden folders there's a "control" folder and the files are all in there with gibberish filenames. The metadata should be intact though, so you should be able to use tag&rename or something like that to change the filenames en masse if you need to.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are certain programs that are particularly good at getting those files. I personally use Media Monkey, but I also bought a lifetime sub to that. I think, from memory, something like Ephpod also does the trick.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My wife bought me an iBasso DX320 for my birthday. I'm not sure why - I had told her I was considering carrying on with my stalwart Cowon J3, as it still works and sounds great, but that I had picked out a potential replacement, the Dethonray Prelude DTR1+, as it focuses on sound and I don't need or want any streaming functionality. The reviews make the Dethonray seem like a great sounding player.

I know the iBasso has a music-only OS mode, and has similar battery life to the Dethonray, as well as highly rated sound (based on the reviews I've read), but I can't do a comparison test, and I CBA with switching amp modules and the like as I know you can do with the iBasso - I don't like having loads of configuration options and worrying about which is best. I haven't removed it from the box, but it seems a bit physically big, too. I normally slip my DAP into my inside or side jacket pocket, or shorts side pocket when it's warm, to listen to while on a dog walk or the like. The dimensions of the Dethonray are smaller, depth aside.

Am I crazy thinking about returning the iBasso and getting the Dethonray, or replacing it with something else entirely and just keeping on with the J3 for now? Is the iBasso on paper the better player (sonically) than the Dethonray? I'm going to assume considering the J3's age and relative cost that both sound better than it.

edit: source files are largely FLACs.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

qirex posted:

There are brands that make decent ones, Hiby, Fiio, Shanling, Aune, etc. a lot of them are pretty much cheap android phones with no cell radio and a headphone jack. There’s also a bunch that use roughly the iPod Nano form factor between $100 and 200.
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable
https://aoshida-audio.com/collections/portable-player
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/digital-audio-players

E: oh yeah there’s a dedicated thread for these as well

Thanks for the links.

I don't understand the players:

https://aoshida-audio.com/products/shanling-m0-pro
That one comes with no storage, and you have to provide a TF card?

https://aoshida-audio.com/products/lotoo-paw
"Storage: Built-in MLC flash memory
GPS module: built-in"

It doesn't list how much flash memory.
Why would a mp3 player need a GPS?

https://aoshida-audio.com/products/zishan-h1
Doesn't even list any specs at all

https://www.linsoul.com/products/hidiz-ap80-pro-x
2.45" screen that lets you read ebooks
Micro SD Slot but I guess no built in storage

https://hifigo.com/collections/portable/products/shanling-m9-plus
$3000 standalone mp3 player...

I think those websites belong in the Audiophile Snake Oil thread, what am I missing? Amazon has $25 players with more memory, battery, and bluetooth...