Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just got, in the mail, my Fiio X5 Mark 2 which I think someone mentioned in this thread. It looks pretty cool, and the startup screen says Born for music and happy, which is the kind of broken English I can get behind.

Now to wait the 50 hours or so it takes to transfer all of the songs from my aging iPod classic to my new device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently Mark 3's coming out soon, I wasn't feeling patient tho.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LionArcher posted:

What's that?

X5 3rd Gen. I got 2nd.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like mine so far. Still got all my tunes backed up on my hard drive just in case.

There are a couple of annoying things about it, like at the moment it lists things by their file name rather than their metadata title, and it took me a bit of time and some Googling to realise that when it seems like it's frozen near the end of its manual library update, it's actually just taking ages because it's finalising a whole bunch of songs, but overall I'm really pleased with it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Worth noting that the 'coming soon' version of the X5 (3rd Gen) looks set to have an updated UI, that gives an option between the normal UI and a full Android UI, so that might be worth a look.

UI on mine is fairly simple, scroll wheel thing like an iPod navigates the main menu which has the options 'Now Playing', 'Play by Category', 'Browse Files', 'Play Settings' and 'System Settings'. Then the middle button is select, one of the other buttons is back, it's a bit like an iPod in that regard. Some of the options in Play Settings and System Settings are pretty confusing, but I think some of that is a function of the device having capabilities that I'm not used to and don't know what to do with. For example, what the hell is SPDIF out, and what's the difference between D2P and DoP? I have no idea, and I don't care enough to find out.

Scroll wheel doesn't seem to accelerate in the same way that the iPod one does, which can make navigating heaps of songs or artists annoying. Also sometimes the scroll wheel doesn't seem to have as much friction as I'd like. That might be because of the cool covers that come with the thing that I put on (Basically just stickers for pretty much every surface - There was a US flag one which no thanks wrong country, some black one which looked OK I guess, and a faux wood one which I thought was cool) so maybe I should try getting rid of the one I put on the wheel.

FAKEEDIT: I did it I removed the sticker on the scroll wheel it seems better now, should've done this a while ago.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Killer_B posted:

The Flio would likely be at the head of the pack in this regard, correct?

What else would work?

I can't specifically speak for the Fiio X5 3rd gen, which is the one you'd probably be looking at for Bluetooth connectivity, but I'm really liking my 2nd gen, with the aforementioned caveats that there's a lot of confusing stuff I had to Google. Oh also if it gets too hot it just stops, but it's probably easy enough stopping it from getting to those kind of temperatures.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

katkillad2 posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to name playlists, so everything is just playlist 1, playlist 2... and whatnot.

It's possible, although might depend on what music playing/sorting software you've got available on your PC.

I sort all my music using MediaMonkey. Was feeling spendy so bought the lifetime sub.

In MediaMonkey, there's a command to export all playlists. Then you can copy that playlist to your device, edit it using notepad and change the 'path' of every file to be TF2:\ instead of d:\ or whatever it is (a quick find/replace all will do it) and boom you're good to go.

Then open playlists from Browse Files, rather than from Play by Category.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

codo27 posted:

Cleaning out my office at work and find an old iPod that had been repurposed. I found two more smaller 8gb ones under a desk and thought, I wonder how big that first one I found was? 160gb. Gf has a 16gb touch we were gonna put both our music on for the car cause switching between Bluetooth devices sucks. But now there will be no compromises.
Boss was literally gonna throw this iPod in the trash but I was like *yoink* and I'm setting it up now. It restored really easy. I can see the folder structure when I connect it to PC but no music folder. I guess that's locked away? Is there a way for me to put music on it without iTunes?

3rd party program like Ephpod or something similar tended to do the trick.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jerkface posted:

Responding to this, but my FiiO X1 lasted 2+ years and just now got stolen out of my car (one of the most common ways to lose an mp3 player apparently, rip). Overall I liked it. I find that one thing I need in a player is some physical buttons I can push without looking to change music, pause/play music, power off. Touch screen horse poo poo isn't gonna cut it so the X1 was great in that regard. Operating it in my pocket or while trying to sleep on an airplane without having to look at it was great.

Pros
Good sound
No nonsense
Good battery life
Sturdy construction, always felt good in my hand.
Easy to load music

Cons
The interface sucked rear end and it was missing one of my favorite ways to play music which was to navigate to "All Music" on my ipod, and then to a specific band, and then to a specific song and play that song but then have all the music on my player be "in play" for the shuffle. The X1 could display "all music" but it'd just be like 1000 "1-Name of Song or Band.mp3" then all the "02-Name of song.mp3" etc.

I'm in the market for a new player and I'm hoping to address that issue.

I'm looking at new FiiO players as well as

Hiby R3
iRulu F20
Song NW-A45/B
FiiO M9

I would get the sony 100% if it didn't have a goddamn proprietary connection/charging port. I want the freedom to charge this poo poo with any USB I have laying around.

Fiio X1 Gen 2 can do that kinda. I used Media Monkey (I bought a lifetime gold sub because I was deployed at the time and felt like burning some money) to mass change all my files to have the name Artist - Song, and also you can, while sorting by 'all songs', skip to a certain letter of the alphabet so more easily get to your band and thus that song.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tias posted:

Do you not have to install the lovely mac player, itunes or whatever, any longer?

I think there are third party players that will work.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've got the Fiio X5 mark 2 and I like it, but there are some nuisances which I hear later models do better with, like managing massive libraries.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Major Isoor posted:

Just curious though, but can I basically just use Windows explorer to dump files and folders onto the device

I have the gen2 and this is what you do.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, unfortunately it doesn't seem like those are readily available, here. :(

Alright well, after doing some more research/comparisons on the topic, I'm leaning heavily towards the Fiio M6, at this point. The X5-III would be good, but it's way more expensive for what I want, I feel. (I mean, I think I'd get an M3 Pro or something, but I think I'll use a bluetooth headset, so that rules the M3 out) Before I take the plunge though, do any of you have any last minute recommendations (or warnings about the M6), by any chance? Or advice on bluetooth travel headsets, for that matter. A friend recommended getting a Sennheiser travel headset, so I'll use that as my starting point I guess, when I begin looking into headsets, soon.

Sorry to clog up the thread with all this, by the way - I just want to make sure I'm getting a good player with good battery life, which'll last me a long time....without blowing the bank. It's a great, easy-to-meet set of criteria, I know! :v:

Please update us on how it goes, in particular how it deals with things like searching for songs and playing through big playlists.

EDIT: Screw it, I just ordered one too.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 9, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've been using MediaMonkey which I've set up to put everything in Music/Artist/Album folders.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

codo27 posted:

I had a weird glitch with it myself where after a while a song would start repeating the last 30 seconds or so over and over and the song would never skip to the next one. I almost never listen to music on the computer anymore, it's sad

This one happens to me when I change input type, like switching from speakers to headphones.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mine just arrived, too. I just yanked the SD card out of the old Fiio and put it into this one. It's still scanning my songs in.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Was the X5 Gen 2. It was relatively reliable, and had two SD slots instead of the one this one has.

This one is, so far, a lot better IMO. Much quicker, both to navigate to songs, and to play a song once I've selected it. This one actually sorts by song name, artist etc instead of just the full file name like the old one did. I'll probs give the old one away to a friend because I don't think I'll go back now I've experienced this one.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It probably does a bunch of stuff I don't need it to do, like I think it's a DAC or something, whatever that means.

It has a scroll wheel and a bunch of buttons instead of a touch screen, and while in some ways I prefer that more tactile feel, scrolling through your songs is a bit time consuming, especially with a larger library. When playing my entire library, there would tend to be a pause of several seconds before it would start playing the first song. It also has no wireless or bluetooth capability.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have (and like) the Fiio M6 which has as much storage space as you can fit on a Micro SD card.

Might be more than you wanna spend tho I dunno.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've liked the Fiios I've gotten. Fiio M17 seems like it might not have bluetooth.

EDIT: oh wait that one looks like it might also be obscenely expensive.

EDIT: and I'm wrong and that one has bluetooth

EDIT: ok Fiio M3 seems like it might fit the bill, and also not be horribly expensive

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 21, 2022

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perhaps. They're selling refurbished versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...560077154%21sea

That's a horrible url but you get the idea. Aliexpress seems to be their shopfront of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are certain programs that are particularly good at getting those files. I personally use Media Monkey, but I also bought a lifetime sub to that. I think, from memory, something like Ephpod also does the trick.