Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I've used a San Disk clip zip for years without any issues. I have a 32 gig microsd in there and it fits most of my music that I want to listen to while on the go, or at the gym/running. If it breaks, i'm only out like 20 bucks and the sd card is still good.

I loaded rockbox on it. There are some playlist tools out there, but I just drag and drop and shuffle the entire thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

88h88 posted:

Clip is life.

I wish they would come out with an e-ink version. Jesus gently caress that would be amazing. You can't read the clip zip for poo poo in the sun, and it would probably help with battery life.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Why not just buy one of those cheap 20-30 dollar android phones with a micro sd slot?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anything similar to the clip? Mine is slowly dying. Might just get another one.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I ended up just buying another clip zip. Hopefully it's good for another 3 years.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Rollofthedice posted:

So my Clip+'s buttons are starting to go out. I'd get a new one, but apparently since they're discontinued, Amazon and Ebay prices are starting to climb. Last year I got one for $35 - now they're anywhere from $65 to $100.

Are there any other cheap (but still good) standalone mp3 players that also have expandable memory?

Nope. All the new cheap san disk's have massive limitations somehow that their old ones didn't.

The new Fiio M3 has a 4000ish file limit, even though it says it supports a 64 gig microsd card.

I've been kind of eyeing this guy

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seiun-players-hi-res-audio-meets-4k-video#/

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

mediaphage posted:

Lol it's annoying but if you just need to transfer music it's not that bad. Nerds like to act like iTunes kills their puppies or some poo poo. Primadonnas.

An ipod nano is over 100 bucks new. And is like 16 gigs.

At it's prime, you could get a sandisk clip zip for around 30 dollars and a 32 gig sd card for 20 bucks.

And you just have to drag and drop.

Sadly now, the newest sandisk players are shittier than their older counterparts.

The better question is, even the newer sandisk clip players are better than an ipod nano for most people, so why would anyone buy an ipod nano?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What's the best way to deal with controls with a cell phone mp3 player? Just get a case with a clip? Headphone controls?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I went and bought one of those worlds smallest smart phones.

Works pretty good for music!

It's only maybe 1.5x the size of a sansa clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
https://smile.amazon.com/MICRO-Smal...lest+cell+phone

Sorry I never really saw this thread again. I do have to say, after using it for 6 months I have pretty mixed reviews.

I added a clip to it, which worked well. Except when I got super sweaty in the summer, it would literally short out the thing and start to die.

I'm now rocking one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hidizs-AP60-Bluetooth-Lossless-Portable/dp/B01M0D5LBP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1478041386&sr=8-3&keywords=ap60

The good seems to be that they're actively developing it and actually seeming to take people's suggestions to heart. I got it when it first came out and I wasn't really impressed. The buttons aren't really buttons but more like a virtual button. The menu was super confusing. Now at least the equalizer works well, and the volume buttons work as next/previous track when the screen is off, so it's pretty much great for pocket use.

It's the closest thing out there as a spiritual successor to the clip zip as far as I can tell. It's probably twice as heavy though, and no clip.