Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using a Rockbox'ed Clip Zip with a 32GB SD card for almost 4 years now, and it just keeps on trucking. It's tiny, still has acceptable battery life, the clip is ingenious, it plays everything, and it can drive my headphones to decent levels and my IEMs to absolutely deafening levels if I feel like it. It has stood up to years of being left in my car in both hot and freezing weather and been left completely discharged for weeks, apparently to no ill effect.

Not bad for ~$65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Because they don't want to carry around two phone-sized devices?

I use one because I don't want to use up the battery on my phone. But lately I've just been streaming the music I've uploaded to Google Play instead, since it actually seems to be very gentle on battery usage. And because I get 20GB data/month, yo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

1. Do the hi-res players offer a sonic advantage over the Cowon J3 for CD-quality files (I mostly use FLAC rips of my CD collection), or is their advantage only in the hi-res arena?

Neither. It's snake oil.

quote:

2. Assuming yes and it was worthwhile upgrading the Cowon, would it make sense to upgrade that first and use it with the HiFiMan RE600s for a bit, or should I upgrade the HiFiMans to the Noble Kaiser Encore and upgrade the Cowon later?

The player is fine. Your choice of headphone is what matters.
[/quote]

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

1. I know the Cowon J3 only plays 16-bit stuff. Are you saying therefore that on a newer player that can decode higher res files, there is no discernible difference between those and 16-bit FLACs?

No musical content even uses all the dynamic range available in 16 bit audio, so 24 bit doesn't make any difference.

In rare cases, the "hi-res" releases have better mastering, but they'll sound exactly the same after being converted to CD quality.

quote:

2. If there is no difference between the J3 and the newer players when playing 16-bit FLACs would you also say that a decent high end smartphone would also sound as good? Doesn't the quality of the DAC make a difference? I.e. the J3 has a better DAC than the smartphones and therefore couldn't newer players have superior DACs to the J3?

Yes, modern smarthphones are generally very good for audio quality. Modern DACs are be audible indistinguishable from each other, and have been since the 1990s at least.

There's so much discussion going on about stuff that really doesn't matter anymore. Use your Cowon or use your phone, and listen to some music! :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why do you say it's US phones specifically?

My S8 sounds great, as does my Moto X Play.

I think you're just full of poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you want something inexpensive for listening to tunes while working out or running or something, the SanDisk/Sansa Clip line of players is still being made.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've had my Clip Zip for years, I can't even remember when I bought it. The battery is very nearly dead, but I was actually impressed at how well it held up, considering the obviously cheap build quality.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tias posted:

That's what I mean by break down. The battery lasts less than 20 minutes in the end, and that's not acceptable for a day of use.

Well, it happened after like 8 years of on/off use :v:

I still have it somewhere, maybe I can find a replacement battery on eBay. Or just not bother, I use my phone now anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tias posted:

I'm too cheap to give youtube money or I'd roll strict phone. making my own playlists and Djing is still a passion, and I'd like to do that on the go.

I've got ~20K tracks on my PC and just put stuff on my phone once in a while, like an old-fashioned MP3 player. MP3s and such just go straight over, FLACs get converted to Opus. I've 128GB of space on my phone and so far I'm not even close to running out, even with a bunch of music and photos on there.

I'm currently waiting for the parts for my new NAS/server to arrive, then I'll run some kind of Owncloud or Plex or something as my own private streaming service.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was looking primarily at Ampache, but it's always good to have options.

Specifically I don't want to expose anything on my NAS/server to the world, so I would be running all the internet-facing stuff from a hardened Raspberry Pi with strictly read-only access to anything else on the network, probably placed in a DMZ if possible. Even a first-gen RPi should be able to handle that just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Major Isoor posted:

could anyone let me know how they prefer to store/lay-out their music folder structure?

I use this layout:

code:

music/album artist/year - album title/track number - artist - title.mp3

Album artist is usually just the same as the artist for normal albums, or "various artists" for compilations. There are tags for both in all common formats, and most players understand it.