Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering if anyone can share their opinions regarding no-frills (well, in terms of having non-music apps, etc. like the newer iPods seem to have) and iTunes-less PMP/MP3 player, that I can hopefully get here in Aus? I read on the previous page that some people have converted phones to perform the role, but personally I'm looking for a dedicated PMP, so that the process can hopefully be hassle-free.
I think one or two people mentioned the Fiio range and Sony (with the caveat that Sony apparently use a proprietary charger connector?), although the Fiios that I've seen so far seem to be around the top-end of what I'd be willing to pay, plus shipping (seems like there aren't many available down here where I am) - so I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm you know, after reading about the options you've recommended for/against, I'm quite tempted to go for the FiiO X5 gen3. Especially after reading a review on it, since it seemed to be quite highly regarded, albeit with some minor software issues. (Which I assume would probably be fixed by now with some updates, seeing as the device and review are a few years old, now)

Just curious though, but can I basically just use Windows explorer to dump files and folders onto the device, or must I install an app to transfer music to it?

Also, while I'm here...I don't suppose any of you have bluetooth headset recommendations, by any chance? Seeing as the FiiO seems to support it, I might as well get a set, right? :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

I have the gen2 and this is what you do.

Oh good, glad to hear it - thanks for the confirmation!

EDIT: Actually, it seems like the Fiio M series is newer and also cheaper...I assume because they're easier to come by? Are they generally the way to go, nowadays? I can't seem to find much in the way of comparison charts etc between the Ms like I could with the X series, so I'm not sure. Seems like the M6 and M9 are quite popular, judging from Google

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 8, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Max Coveri posted:

I bought a Benjie T6 and I'm pretty happy with it.

Hmm, unfortunately it doesn't seem like those are readily available, here. :(

Alright well, after doing some more research/comparisons on the topic, I'm leaning heavily towards the Fiio M6, at this point. The X5-III would be good, but it's way more expensive for what I want, I feel. (I mean, I think I'd get an M3 Pro or something, but I think I'll use a bluetooth headset, so that rules the M3 out) Before I take the plunge though, do any of you have any last minute recommendations (or warnings about the M6), by any chance? Or advice on bluetooth travel headsets, for that matter. A friend recommended getting a Sennheiser travel headset, so I'll use that as my starting point I guess, when I begin looking into headsets, soon.

Sorry to clog up the thread with all this, by the way - I just want to make sure I'm getting a good player with good battery life, which'll last me a long time....without blowing the bank. It's a great, easy-to-meet set of criteria, I know! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Please update us on how it goes, in particular how it deals with things like searching for songs and playing through big playlists.

EDIT: Screw it, I just ordered one too.

Hah, well then we can be M6 guinea pigs together! :D But sure thing, I'll put in an update once I've given it a go. I'll probably order it tonight or tomorrow, I think, since I'm quite busy at work (don't ask me why I'm on here :v: ), so that'll give me a bit more time to price-check, etc.

EDIT: gently caress it, I just ordered it then, too. I want it now, now, now!

EDIT 2: ...and on my way home from work, I bought a JBL Tune 750BTNC headset and a 128GB micro SD card for the Fiio M6. 128GB oughta juuuust do the trick and be enough space for my favourite songs, right? :D Well, time to wait for the M6 to arrive, then we'll see how it goes. Hopefully here mid next week

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 10, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry in advance about the double-post - I just thought editing my previous post a third time (three days later!) wouldn't be any better, heh

In any case, seeing as I have my headphones and SD card (and my M6 will be arriving today or tomorrow, apparently), could anyone let me know how they prefer to store/lay-out their music folder structure? Since up until now I've been firmly living in the past, and over 95% of my music has remained on CDs... :shobon: So I'll need to start copying it all off onto my SD card, however I'm just wondering how you guys tend to do it. Like, do you have a folder for each band and then sub-folders for each album? Or just one for each band, or maybe something completely different like sorting it by genre instead? Not a huge deal I know; I'm just curious is all, so I thought I'd ask.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the info, all!

And well, after two evenings of ripping CDs in preparation for my M6's arrival, I've now got it and I've had a chance to give it a whirl today. Now, I'm pretty unfamiliar with this type of device, so I'm not exactly a connoisseur of DAPs/PMPs, but I've been liking it quite a lot. I had it playing via Bluetooth for around 1-1.5hrs and it barely put a dent in a battery. It's very easy to use, and comes with a plastic case+screen protector, which I wasn't expecting but was very happy with.
I like the quality of the display as well. I wasn't expecting much, but I'm pleasantly surprised! Also, while I was ripping everything, I made sure to add the album cover 'folder.jpg' files to each album (for the ones where the image isn't part of the file for each track, anyway). So I assume that's helped with ensuring that all the album covers appear on the M6 (as well as while listening on my PC, naturally) when browsing albums or playing music. All looks good, anyway - nothing is pixelated or stretched, etc. so it looks great!

Obviously the audio quality is good too, as a minor side-note. :v: So yeah, I'm very happy with the M6 so far. Only time will tell if that opinion changes one way or the other, however it's certainly looking like a solid product at this stage, so I'm 100% glad I bought it (but again, although I'm very familiar with PCs and other devices, I'm very new to PMPs - especially ones from this decade, heh. So naturally take my comments with a spoonful of salt)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Mine just arrived, too. I just yanked the SD card out of the old Fiio and put it into this one. It's still scanning my songs in.

Good timing! Out of curiosity, what was your old Fiio? Based on my research in recent times (which is quite admittedly less than what anyone in here knows of the top of their head, I'm sure) it seems like it's a pretty respected brand, with some solid product models under their belt. I couldn't find any mention of major/common shortcomings/issues either, which is good. Has that been your experience with them, as well? (I mean, obviously you don't think poorly of them, else you wouldn't have bought the M6...but you know what I mean :v: )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Huh, well that's interesting to hear, then. I'm glad I went and bought the M6 then, if that's the case! :D

But isn't the X series their flagship model? I would've expected that the X5G2 would still be pretty solid, compared to the M6. (Although I'm not sure when the gen2 came out - it might be fairly old, after all)
I guess feature-wise it still is somewhat, due to the second SD card slot and doubtlessly some other things too. Just not in terms of performance I suppose, since in light of your post I assume the M6 is at least a couple of years newer.
Interesting though - since while I was looking them all up the other day, I figured the M6 and X5G2 must've been much closer to parity with one another, compared to how they are in reality. Especially due to their prices, etc. Maybe the X5G2 came out around when the M3 did, and I should instead be viewing/considering the M6 to be the intended M-series counterpart to the X5G3. I wish there was a comprehensive comparison of recent popular brands' products and their specs in order to get a better idea, but oh well

But anyway, I think I should really just go to bed! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I've been recharging the M6 and headset less and less lately, to see how far I can go. (Since originally I was recharging them both daily, like my phone) It's been around a week of frequent use* and the M6 is down to 41%. I mean, I've got it set to turn off after 30min inactivity though, so it's not on all day or anything. No idea about my headset, although hopefully it's not about to go flat, since I want it for my trip home. :v:
So yeah, I'm pretty happy with the battery life! Definitely better than what I was expecting, in that regard.

* 'Frequent' by my standards, anyway. So it'll be around 80-90min travel time per day, plus maybe 40-60min per day for lunch/walking during the day. Plus maybe a little bit more here and there, while I walk between buildings at work. And also anywhere from 40-80min for when I'm walking the dog every couple of days, whenever there's time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Agreed - personally, after getting my Fiio M6 around three years and a half ago, I'm gonna stick with Fiio DAPs for as long as I can! It still performs great, just like the day I bought it. (Including the battery!) It also comes with a screen protector and a case/cover to protect the sides and back. Just a great product - well worth the price IMO. And it won't fall apart like an el cheapo, so if you can, I'd definitely recommend getting one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Frankly I just want something that plays music and will last and has more space than 32GB and doesn't need to be charged nightly if I don't use it that day. I love my iPod Touch but I was so fond of my iPod Nano I had before it. Back in the day I got the Touch to play Words With Friends, but that's not a priority anymore. As long as it shows some album art and song info I'm cool with any level of iPod - I didn't know they made modded iPod Classics like that! I don't even mind using iTunes and the stock OS as long as I can listen to playlists and albums and shuffle through an entire device's music library.

Sorry if my responses are just making things muddy - basically through a combination of nostalgia and getting tired of not owning albums anymore I've wanted to dive back in. I like decent audio but I'm not a FLAC hoarder or anything, and most of my collection is some level of CD ripped 320KBPS MP3.

Is something like this trustworthy? Or are there reputable places that sell refurbished 128GB Nanos/Touches with replaced batteries or even modded flash memory classics?

Well if you want something that'll last, I use my Fiio M6 daily and I only charge it every week or two. It's smaller than a phone and has a touchscreen, but its pause/play and volume controls are physical buttons on the side, so you can easily thumb them while it's in your pocket, so you don't need to pull it out and use the touchscreen for basic stuff like that

Can't remember what its internal storage is like, but it has a microSD slot, so no dramas there