Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So, I know the answer is probably "get a phone with no SIM card" but I'd prefer not to do this, or if I must, I need some recommendations because phones kind of throw me for a loop for some reason...

I have an iPod Touch I've owned for going on 14 years now. I keep it in my pocket out of habit even when it's not charged and it's full of great music. Battery is still strong, it's responsive, and I have a ton of awesome memories with it. Only problem is it's 32 GB and it's almost totally full. I know that to some, standalone MP3 players are obsolete but I'd really like to get back to using mine regularly - I prefer single-use devices and I want to use mine for travel and not have to worry about Spotify downloading and such. I also just hate using my phone for MP3 files specifically for some reason - it just feels weird and my current phone doesn't even have a headphone jack.

Is there anything on the market right now similar to the iPod Touch, or perhaps even better, that has extendable storage (or at least 64GB - 128GB internal)? I'm really just looking for something that doesn't feel like it'll shatter at the slightest breath, can survive being stuck in my pocket, has a decent and responsive interface optimized for music, will actually last, and won't break the bank. Battery life could be at least eight hours if possible.

I don't even mind if I have to get a device and install Rockbox on it. I've done that in the past with a Toshiba Gigabeat F and it's a very intuitive and cool OS but the Gigabeat is a chunky beast with terrible battery life.

I just want to be able to have something I can store my own music on that looks good and travels well, and all I see when I look online are cheap units or really expensive 16GB ones. What are my options?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Honestly, I think my hangup with using my phone for MP3 playback is mostly that it does...well, everything else as well. I'm sure having a separate device with a decent music-playing app would cut down on that issue. I also feel like most phones just don't have enough ruggedness to them nowadays. If I have to suck it up, so be it. I'm very used to the Android OS and can install, like, AIMP or whatever, so I don't mind if it's an Android device if you have any particular recommendations. In the end, I just want a device that has a whole bunch of storage, feels premium enough, and can last through a flight or two when I need it to. I was interested in the new Sony Walkman-branded devices but a couple hundred for 16GB is just silly.

As for price, I'm willing to go up to...I dunno, $200? I'd rather not have to, but you get what you pay for, and I don't trust a cheap unit at all, which is why I came to this thread! If the price goes up even past that, so be it. I just like to know what's actually on the market (or the aftermarket) since everywhere on the internet is flooded with crap these days and I struggle to sift through it all, so any curated suggestions are fine by me.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really appreciate the suggestions. I don't mind paying extra for the Walkman if it'll last as long as the iPod has as it has a lot of features that seem great (and admittedly the brand is a bit nostalgic), and the granular search on the phone site is really helpful as well, and cuts down on the parts about phone shopping I found most frustrating. The e-Ink device has potential as well.

Thank you all for the advice! If there's any other models or suggestions anyone has I am open to them all. It's interesting seeing what's out there, no matter the price range.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Frankly I just want something that plays music and will last and has more space than 32GB and doesn't need to be charged nightly if I don't use it that day. I love my iPod Touch but I was so fond of my iPod Nano I had before it. Back in the day I got the Touch to play Words With Friends, but that's not a priority anymore. As long as it shows some album art and song info I'm cool with any level of iPod - I didn't know they made modded iPod Classics like that! I don't even mind using iTunes and the stock OS as long as I can listen to playlists and albums and shuffle through an entire device's music library.

Sorry if my responses are just making things muddy - basically through a combination of nostalgia and getting tired of not owning albums anymore I've wanted to dive back in. I like decent audio but I'm not a FLAC hoarder or anything, and most of my collection is some level of CD ripped 320KBPS MP3.

Is something like this trustworthy? Or are there reputable places that sell refurbished 128GB Nanos/Touches with replaced batteries or even modded flash memory classics?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really appreciate all the responses. Based on everything, I think I'm going to start with a modded 256gb iPod classic, but I'm keeping the Flio M6 on my radar as well since all the videos of its form factor and UI are appealing as well, and the USB-C charging port is nice. Lots of great info and options; thank you everyone!