Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
drat I was just thinking about this because I want to buy a PMP for an upcoming trip. Everyone seems to use their phones or whatever but I need my phone and its battery life for other things on the trip and I'd like to have a separate device.

Im not an audiophile though, I just want a device that will play good quality music and has poo poo like... playlists...

I've narrowed it down to I guess one of the Fiio players.

Fiio X1

Fiio M3

Fiio X3-II

Anyone got any opinions on these guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

If you're traveling and worried about battery, you should just keep a portable charger in your carry on or something.

I have a phone, which must store lots of things on it already, I have no room for also 30 gb of music. If I'm gonna use my phone for music, I will use my XM app. I just want a nice small device that will hold all of the songs I want to listen to (a couple thousand) and let me make playlists or just shuffle the entire thing.

Having it for work will be nice too. I looked into getting a phone that has a good DAC but the best rated phones from 2014-2015 still cost more than these Fiio devices.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
itunes is so garbage I used a third party loader for my 30 gb ipod video 14 years ago. Easy drag n drop and not having the device auto encrypt all my files into unreadable garbage is a must.

Itunes is pretty poo poo as a player, library, and transfer tool. Its 'ok' as a store. If you're bad at the 3 most important things then no thx.

I ended up going with the Fiio X1 btw thread

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

KingShiro posted:

How's it been working out?

Responding to this, but my FiiO X1 lasted 2+ years and just now got stolen out of my car (one of the most common ways to lose an mp3 player apparently, rip). Overall I liked it. I find that one thing I need in a player is some physical buttons I can push without looking to change music, pause/play music, power off. Touch screen horse poo poo isn't gonna cut it so the X1 was great in that regard. Operating it in my pocket or while trying to sleep on an airplane without having to look at it was great.

Pros
Good sound
No nonsense
Good battery life
Sturdy construction, always felt good in my hand.
Easy to load music

Cons
The interface sucked rear end and it was missing one of my favorite ways to play music which was to navigate to "All Music" on my ipod, and then to a specific band, and then to a specific song and play that song but then have all the music on my player be "in play" for the shuffle. The X1 could display "all music" but it'd just be like 1000 "1-Name of Song or Band.mp3" then all the "02-Name of song.mp3" etc.

I'm in the market for a new player and I'm hoping to address that issue.

I'm looking at new FiiO players as well as

Hiby R3
iRulu F20
Song NW-A45/B
FiiO M9

I would get the sony 100% if it didn't have a goddamn proprietary connection/charging port. I want the freedom to charge this poo poo with any USB I have laying around.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Plot twist im trying this one out: HIDIZS AP80

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Jerkface posted:

Plot twist im trying this one out: HIDIZS AP80

Trip report: Build quality good, looks awesome in purple, smaller than I thought. Interface is a little clunky as its touchscreen only for navigation but the actual getting music to play and playing what you want is good. USB-C which is nice.

Sound quality has been good. It resyncs its media pretty quickly which is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Jerkface posted:

Trip report: Build quality good, looks awesome in purple, smaller than I thought. Interface is a little clunky as its touchscreen only for navigation but the actual getting music to play and playing what you want is good. USB-C which is nice.

Sound quality has been good. It resyncs its media pretty quickly which is a plus.

Its been 4 months and the display broke, maybe a connection within the device or something not sure but it basically forgot how to display images properly. Had to send it back to china which cost me 30 bux.

I bought a Cowon Plenue D in the mean time.

Has anyone used this before? Its a nice little player but the touch screen is horseshit. Its good once I get it going and can use the side buttons. If anyone has used this have you figured out how to change the generic album images? I want to get rid of some of the less pleasing ones.