Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
What exactly are you looking for, interface-wise (like do you really need that large a screen?), and how much music are you planning to put on it?

I've had a wide variety of nicer digital audio players (lots of Fiios and the like), and then settled on using a Sony Walkman NW-A105 with a 1tb card in it as my music player (because as other people mentioned, they, and most modern DAPs are made to take microSD cards).

I keep my music organized via iTunes on Windows (my "listening" music library is all ALAC, usually converted from FLAC), and the music folder is synced with OneDrive, both for backup purposes, and to make it easy to sync to Android devices (like my Sony) so that my music library is always up to date. And yeah yeah, iTunes I know, but I've been using it ever since it existed, and I've had a bunch of iPods, so it's a workflow I've always known.

After using my NW-A105 though, I got a little tired of the main shortcoming of Android-based DAPs, which is battery life (although debloating it and setting up Tasker to turn off wifi and stuff when it was unplugged helped). I eventually went back to using a 5th gen classic iPod that a friend gave me long ago though; it's modded to use an iFlash Quad so I could stuff it full of storage (and the battery was replaced, of course, although I plan on putting in an even bigger battery), and I couldn't be happier. I put Rockbox on it, and my general workflow is after I get new music in iTunes, I reboot the iPod so it goes back to Apple mode, connect it to the computer and sync it in iTunes, then reboot it back in to Rockbox and rebuild the database and use that for listening. I'm only using Rockbox so I can sort by album artist, which that iPod can't do, and I have to run a theme that doesn't use album art or else it just chokes.

While it's nice having a DAP with physical buttons (my main reason for not just using an old LG phone or something), the controls on an iPod classic are much more intuitive IMO than the whole "buttons on the side" that many DAPs have, and easier to use in general one-handed, especially without looking (nice for if it's in a pocket).

I ended up giving my Sony to my friend, and the only reason why I'd buy another Android-based DAP is for a big one that has balanced outputs and a fat battery.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Frankly I just want something that plays music and will last and has more space than 32GB and doesn't need to be charged nightly if I don't use it that day. I love my iPod Touch but I was so fond of my iPod Nano I had before it. Back in the day I got the Touch to play Words With Friends, but that's not a priority anymore. As long as it shows some album art and song info I'm cool with any level of iPod - I didn't know they made modded iPod Classics like that! I don't even mind using iTunes and the stock OS as long as I can listen to playlists and albums and shuffle through an entire device's music library.

Sorry if my responses are just making things muddy - basically through a combination of nostalgia and getting tired of not owning albums anymore I've wanted to dive back in. I like decent audio but I'm not a FLAC hoarder or anything, and most of my collection is some level of CD ripped 320KBPS MP3.

Is something like this trustworthy? Or are there reputable places that sell refurbished 128GB Nanos/Touches with replaced batteries or even modded flash memory classics?

If you're comfortable with this kind of thing, modding an old iPod classic to add flash-based storage and replace the battery is fairly simple, and writeups and video guides for modding old iPods are pretty common. Keep in mind, only the full-sized iPods are the ones that can be modded, and they're the only ones people bother with, because of their design (since stock, they use a spinning hard drive that's attached via connector, which can then be easily replaced with a PCB you can attach flash storage to like a CF card or microSD card). If you buy a replacement battery, it usually comes with the tools needed to open one up (which is basically some spudgers and mini screwdrivers).

Because of how easy it is to mod an iPod, it also means there are a lot of people out there that sell modded iPods, and if you aren't comfortable doing it or just don't want to, you could always search around (like you did on eBay), and just find someone that has good reputation. A lot of these modders also sell iPods with modded shells also, but I personally don't like them as they often don't let the clickwheel (stock or aftermarket) sit the same way as it does stock.

As to which iPod to get, it depends on what you want. If you want to keep using the stock iPod operating system but want to be able to sort through your library by album artist instead of just artist, you'll need an iPod classic 6th gen or higher (because that was something introduced in later versions of the iPod software that isn't available on iPods classics older than 6th gen). If you don't care about that because you don't sort by album artist, or you're fine just using Rockbox to do it (which is what I'm doing), then the gen 5 or 5.5 iPod classics will be fine.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of other music players out there that are great that are definitely worth considering that may suit your needs better, but I've always liked how it feels to navigate music on an iPod with a wheel instead of a touchscreen, and I've always compared my experiences with other audio players to that, and I always prefer the iPod clickwheel. My already using iTunes just adds to the ease of use.