Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

My old iPod classic is dying. Sound only comes out of one headphone and syncing it to my PC is a nightmare where I need to hit the start and center button 2 or 3 times for the computer to read it. I love the simplicity of it and that I can work in my garden and it doesn't matter if it gets dirty, or if I plug it into speakers I don't have everything get interrupted when I get a text. I was an early adopter of podcasts and subscribe to about 30 of them so I always have something new to listen to even if I can't get it streamed in. I guess that I have been doing podcasts the same way for about 12 years, but I like having an actual downloaded file.

I am converting my old Galaxy 3 to a stand alone music player and it will be fine. As a bonus I can move into this decade and download via wifi and use Bluetooth, but I won't have a phone or data plan for it. All is good except I forgot how much bloatware Verizon put on it. It seems that the only way to remove it is to root it. Does anyone have any good suggestions? All I see is links that have been dead for years and sketchy things that I'm supposed to download onto my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

binaryhermit posted:

Cheap Android smartphone that you just don't put a SIM in?
It's not exactly drag and drop (Android devices haven't done USB-MSC for 5+ years, but they do MTP which I think works more or less out of the box with the possible exception of MacOS)
You might also be able to find an Android-based MP3 player, but those seem to be targeted to audiophiles with more dollars than sense...

This. I've gotten in the habit of demoting my old phone to my music phone whenever I upgrade. Get a decent micro usb card for all your mp3, for podcasts you are guaranteed to not use up a data plan since the only possibility is WiFi. I still miss my iPod classic clickwheel. What an elegant machine. But my old android phone can do bluetooth, videos, and youtube and it's never interrupted with a text or call.