Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^^ AA Batteries in consumer electronics are dead, man. Just get a powerbank/usb battery

I'm looking for something that can do 24-40 hrs playback time between charges and live on a boat near saltwater basically it's whole life. Going offshore periodically for 8-16 hours at a time, and want a separate device with a display so guests can pick and choose their own songs/playlist. I use my phone for tidal info, nav charts etc etc and don't need it getting dropped by guests down below

Top three options I've seen so far:

1. San Disk "clip" or clip variant
2. iPod Nano 7th gen
3. Use a random android device

All good options, San Disk and Kindle Fire tablet are both about $40 these days. iPod has the best waterproofing probably, as well as 30 hour battery life.

Big downside for iPod Nano is that you're sort of stuck using iTunes (ugh) or some $$$ goofy rear end workaround app. Not worth it. Especially for $150.

I already have a Kindle Fire tablet from some black friday sale. It has a micro SD card. With a big fat tablet battery I'm guessing it will exceed 20 hours playback time. Also has bluetooth audio capability. You also get drag and drop MP3 filesystem.

Is there a best MP3 player out there for android? Looking for ease of use to search for songs, build short (10-15 songs?) playlists on the go, low battery consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why don't you build a full-passive mITX PC or NUC with IPwhatever weather-sealing to drive the speakers, and then have an iPad connect over wifi/bluetooth to allow selecting the tunes?

:laffo: thanks I'll give that a try.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

My old iPod classic is dying. Sound only comes out of one headphone and syncing it to my PC is a nightmare where I need to hit the start and center button 2 or 3 times for the computer to read it.

For the audio, you can get the headphone jack replaced for reasonably cheap, most guys would probably give you a reduced fare just to have a crack at it

Not sure about the center button but that's replaceable too. While you have it open probably time for a battery swap/upgrade.