Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's all the best parts of dark souls (tight, connected world design) with the best parts of demons (Hub world, archstones instead of bonfires, impeccable enemy design) with a lot of its own unique twists (two weapons, new parry system, transforming weapons etc). The only bad parts are the loads

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Swelter Discharge posted:

it has a hub world?

From the looks of it yah. I have opened any more but it has the same style of demons wth 4 distinct world's you warp to from the hub. I could be wrong, since I've only opened the one, but idk what else they would be

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

The Hunter's Dream place looks big too, I saw a few gated off areas I couldn't get inside

Yeah I'm excited to see everything there is! Although I'm already lost

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Game is very good, sword cane that turns into a sword whip is awesome, first boss has way too much health but the second one is really good. Namaste

I reached the second boss and it's fuckin rad and looks so disgusting! Total ownage

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

This game is really awesome, but these loading times are abysmal, especially for a game that expects you to die a lot

Hopefully the patch fixes it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I played seven hours of this today, and I'll play more later, too.

Same, and I spent a solid 90+ minutes not knowing where to go and eventually looking it up and realizing I just missed a drat hallway...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I rescued a prostitute and she said the only way she could repay is with her blood and I refused the treatment because this is the first time i have ever seriously been concerned that my character was going to catch AIDS

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be pissed if there isn't some equivalent of Curse that is basically just AIDS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does anybody know what the beast pellets do? I tried to use them during the second boss and nothing seemed to happen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Psycobladder posted:

Post your guys. I bought Father Gasciognes set, it's pretty baller.

Same, feels good to wear his armor after destroying him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

if you wanna see something wild, go to the cathedral lamp and take a left, kill the two lantern guys walking around and then stand in the group of tombstones to the right of the staircase. you should hear a wooshing sound, and keep your eyes peeled for some crazy stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I never even fought the cleric beast, I'm gonna go back and do that when I get home today

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If there is , I haven't found it. Old yahrnam is the path to the next boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My sweatpants are on and the blinds are drawn. Time to game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hoekie posted:

Is the saw spear that much better than the cleaver? Legit question.

Thanks for qualifying that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got greedy on the blood starved beast when he had one hit left and died. Third times the charm, hopefully

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Another thing they should patch in is the option to warp to other lanterns from a lantern, instead of having to go back to the dream. Although that's only a pain bc of the load times I guess

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

beat 2nd boss bought epic clothes

died only 1ce so far
strong

drat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's a real fucker, I died to him more than I died on the boss in that area

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

probably gonna have to trick him into falling off like someone mentioned above

it's how I did it and everyone else did it too, most likely

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i was captured by the sack monster, seems like as good a place as any to call it quits for the evening

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

What a dick. You could've got his items for free without murdering him if you had found the right clothing set.

He should have thought about that before he riddled my body with machine gun bullets

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

I think it's cool that this game has been out for days and people still don't know what some stats do, or where most of the covenants are, or if there even is more than one covenant, or how to get certain endings, or what determines the seemingly erratic movement and disappearance of NPCs, or if Beast Mode is real, and if not, what is the secret gameplay mechanic they kept hyping up in the prerelease interviews.

yeah why do I have a beast mode stat that doesn't seem to do anything (rhetorical question, I'll try to find out myself)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I staggered cleric beast 1ce and couldnt figure it out after that so i just rolled thru and smacked him with my saw until he died... pro strat

I only fought him twice so I didn't get to try it out too much, but it seems like if you shoot him at all he goes into a different pattern where he rages more and can't be staggered again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fully charged strong attacks can stagger enemies, but I haven't been ballsy enough to try it on a boss yet

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hubris.height posted:

how do i trick that bitch off his tower

also, for a fun thing, fall off the back of the platform that leads up to tower gun guy, and attack the barrel at the top of the chapel above the giant crucified thing

it immolates everything sitting down there

Trick him by running up to him and swinging at him repeatedly until he falls off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

what's the town-npc interaction like? is it similar to majula and firelink, where rescuing or helping people in the world brings them back to a central area? or is it more like you just find them out in the wild once in a while?

a mix, because when you find people in the wild you can send them to a central location in the world, but you also have some NPCs in a hub world like the nexus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

also, did they animate mouths for speech this time? that's a small thing about souls games that's always been strange to me. like they don't want to liscense middleware that synchs sounds to mouth movement or something?

No but if you gesture at npcs they have reaction animations now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I unlocked a chalice dungeon, cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have like 4 different places I could be progressing, and I have chalice dungeons...this game is so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

What's the difference between a chalice dungeon and any other place in the game?

Chalice dungeons are randomly generated dungeons you can summon into existence using crafting materials, and then you can play coop with friends f they share the dungeon code with you, or you can just match make with people. It seems like each floor has a boss and a bunch of encounters. The designs are super straight forward, nothing like the real game, but if you wanna just play coop endlessly it seems like a real good way to do that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who is Paarl? Is that the name of the lady at the top of oedon?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well then I'm afraid I can't help you. Good luck in your journey.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

After dying to the boss on the first level of this chalice dungeon over 10 times in a row, I have come to the conclusion that I am bad at this game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat him and got like 1000 souls and a bloood gem, but it feels good man.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That boss is the hardest part of the whole dungeon congrats

I never had any blood vials on any attempts, so I could only take two hits before dying. On the eventual kill I never got hit once, very satisfying

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hosed up though, because I usually play dex characters in these games, but I haven't found a single weapon other than the cane I can equip, so now I'm going to start pumping all my points into strength 20 levels too late. Sigh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I just beat him and you totally stagger him for a few seconds if you hit the littler arm with the big axe in big mode. It was the normal attack too.

yeah, I think you can stagger every boss somehow, but not always with the gun, they seem to have locational damage points. Like the first boss in the chalice has a growth on his leg and if you target that it will blow up and deal massive damage, and then you can keep targeting the same leg to cripple and stun him. It's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the vicar was giving me trouble but i discovered one trick to own the fight

i love how a lot of these bosses have attacks you can "parry" unlike in dark souls, and also unlike dark souls there are many other ways you can stagger them. ds it was just like, do enough damage to break their poise within 5 seconds and they stagger, maybe. here... im slammin this mother fucker and breaking his knees so that he falls down

im going to be attempting vicar today. I was summoned by a guy and helped him and learned all the Attack patterns, but I still died when the boss had like 4 hits left. I feel bad for the guy I abandoned, RIP.