Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

Axe is a good choice.

Blood stone chunks (needed to go from +6 to +9) can be a huge pain so don't waste them. If you explore a whole bunch you'll get enough to get two weapons to +9 and one to +8, but after that you gotta grind and the drop rate on them is really lovely.

that's good to know... so far i've only gotten as far as first finding the twin bloodstones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
can someone give me a small hint: beat the blood starved beast and now i have no idea where to go. i've tried all three paths from the cathedral ward, and they all seemed to dead-end without a way forward.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NickRoweFillea posted:

also far be it from me to tell you to die but if you see a spooky man with a big bag slung over his shoulder, interesting things happen if you challenge him and fail

i already did that, but i didn't see a way to get back to the lamp i lit there (as a side note, figuring out an effective way to beat those guys was really satisfying)

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, i'm not sure if this is my imagination, but did they add a thing where enemies get critical saves? it seems like a lot of times i do enough damage to kill something, but they hang on with a sliver of life. that really throws me off, and usually results in me dying because i run past the thing, and it gets me from behind.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm really liking everything about the story and look so far. it gets gothic horror down pat, but also has its own twist on it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't gotten time to sit down and play this for hours yet ;_; but i'm loving every minute of it. i try out new weapons by running the central yarnham > bridge lamps, and each time i do it (even fighting early level mobs) it's still incredibly fun

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
dark beast paarl is wrecking my poo poo, and i'm loving every minute of it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i tried to open up a locked door and just now saw what the ghostly hand in gascoigne's graveyard was attached to. holy poo poo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, the statues are changing, right?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just beat witches of hemwick. goddamn, that was fun. i got down to having 3 vials left, but still managed it on my first attempt. hemwick charnel lane is an amazing area. that first part where you walk in and see the ladies spinning around in mad religious ecstasy is such an amazing scene. i love this game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It's my second favorite behind an area you probably haven't seen yet. Did you go through that area before or after fighting the vicar

before. i was talking to my brother who's further ahead and he told me that killing amelia triggers the next phase of day, so i decided to explore some more.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm also curious about chalice dungeons. i just put my pthnumeru one down and have been exploring it, and i'm sort of stuck on the hell-hound boss. i can leave without any negative consequence and come back to it right?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the secret to beating paarl was to gain 13 levels and upgrade my kirkhammer two more times

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was way underleveled when i was trying him before. i also had henryck's armor on, which i guess improved my survivability too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's hard to tell if this is actually easier than any of the souls games, or if it just feels that way because i've been playing these games with continuity for the past 4 years or whatever

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm still loving the kirkhammer. it mixes two of my favorite souls movesets: longsword and zweihander

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there anything i could be doing other than forbidden woods at the moment? (aside from running chalice dungeons)

there's the hunter's workshop, but the top of that has a locked door i can't access...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

what bosses have you already beat

paarl, witches, amelia and of course blood starved, cleric and gascoigne

i also did part of the crow lady's questline and killed that rear end in a top hat in yellow robes

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The way things are going, I bet in like 5 to 6 years there's a PS4 box set of The Collected Works of Miyazaki ala the Kojima Legacy Collection that has all the souls game in one box. Imagine all the sick poo poo that would come with the collectors edition of that game...

tiny plastic solaire

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been getting busy and it's really cutting into my loving bloodborne time

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i got some bloodborne time, and the lecture hall is really short, but also really cool. fighting that wave of mutated students was loving awesome, and the first encounter where one of them drops on you is hilarious. nightmare frontier seems cool, but i got merced by pvp right away when i was exploring w/ two levels of blood echoes. i just unlocked the main gate shortcut in forbidden woods, and i think i'm heading back there next.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
last night i had a dream that i was playing and was invaded by a secret boss that nobody knew about who did high poison damage but was also really weak

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've done shadows of yharnham by myself 3 times and gotten the last one to a single hit each time. i think i'm making the skeleton lords mistake, and triggering the final form of two of them at the same time, which is too much to deal with, and i should make a plan and stick to it to finish each on sequentially.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hate snakes irl, so i can't wait to be out of the forbidden woods. it's a cool area, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think it might possibly be the most open of any souls area i've been in. i really like how there's a main path, and all of the secrets tend to drop you back into it after you've explored them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Human Grand Prix posted:

Are you using the Tontrius? I killed the spellcaster guy first and whittled the other two down to very low health. They never entered the summoning phase with me, strangely.

no, i haven't upgraded that at all. i'm using the kirkhammer, and had the most luck with the longsword mode covered in bolt paper

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
my first two times were with the sledge mode, and i think it was just way too slow to deal with the gank squad nature of the fight. i'm giving it a break because i was getting sort of salty on my last attempt. it should go a lot easier now.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

heres my cool strat that i might record if i start a new run to kill ebrietas: kill the katana guy first, then the mage guy, then if you kill the candle guy last he dodges right every time you hit him, so u can just run in a circle mashing r1 until he dies and he cant do anything.

i still haven't gotten back to it, but i'll give that a try

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i went back for my fourth try, and got them fairly easily, but ty for the video. switching to the longsword mode of the kh and using bolt paper really did the trick.

i just got to rom and got it down to about half health before it killed me. i only had four vials left though, because i'd taken down the rear end in a top hat hunter with the cane sword previously, and i think i could've maybe even done it if i'd had full vials. i feel like the trick is to avoid the baby spiders.

i also went back to ioesfska's clinic, and holy poo poo she's a hard fight... lol, i also didn't realize until just now you could choose to send people to her instead :pwn:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the old guy in the rocker (wilhelm?) just grunting and pointing at the pier was really loving cool. i wish byrgenwerth was bigger though, given how important it seems

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh i've disliked or hated all of the hunter fights i've done so far. they usually just seem like "find the way to cheese the ai" or "lovely battle of attrition". the souls npc fights always felt a lot more like you were fighting a real-ish person.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm thinking about turning off my internet connection for nightmare frontier and then turning it back on later to experience it as a pvp zone :unsmigggh:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
wow, castle cainhurst has some tough motherfuckers in it

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

01011001 posted:

cainhurst outside and cainhurst boss are tough, the inside is pretty tame

the gargoyles are pretty tough, and the way they're introduced is really cool

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like they have the fatal weakness of being leashed to a point on the map and unable to chase me as i run past, but i like totally clear areas before i cheese it like that

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

that's my favorite area in the game and I wish it was bigger

i like it. it's their third snow covered castle, but it's a good one

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i may have gotten summoned into a NG+ game one time to fight the witches... I had been doing really solid damage in other summons, but on that fight i was basically doing chip damage with each hit. is that possible?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
interesting... are low level runs significantly different in this game than they were in the soulses?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i'm going to get 2 to 3 hours of being a huge piece of poo poo and doing nothing but playing bloodborne tomorrow. can't wait, fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i killed rom on my 4th attempt. idk if i got lucky or not, but i basically just ignored the spiders after the first wave, and made sure that i was never far enough away to trigger the meteor storm. then it was just a matter of constantly moving to avoid spider attacks and dodging whenever she started doing the tantrum or arcane explosion buildup.

"hooooooly shiiiiiiit" - me, upon seeing the skyline of the city of the unseen